On 11/27/2010 04:19 PM, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 12:03:23AM +0100, Lars Ellenberg wrote:
>> But until then, you could probably already have implemented your
>> original proposal in the cumulative man hours spent writing and reading
>> this thread, and I'm sure I will get used. So please, just go ahead.
> tztztz.
> Though possibly I get used, too, sometimes, I obviously meant
> ..., and I'm sure _it_ will be used.
> And I'm going to be one of those that use it, probably...
It wasn't that bad to read it all.  I hadn't realized the messages had
gotten so large.

We put in compression exactly to deal with this situation.  All that
bulky XML is extremely compressible.

I didn't write that part of the code, and hadn't noticed that it did all
that excessive compression/decompression.  But you will note that this
only really happens during a cluster transition.   Most of the time
nothing happens - and nothing but heartbeats go over the network - or
has that changed too?

On a completely different subject, I'm modernizing my home production
cluster.  Switching to Ubuntu, replacing motherboard with multi-core
CPUs, replacing hard drives, adding striping.  I was planning on putting
the DRBD metadata in an SSD - but there seems to some incompatibility
between the SSD I bought and Linux and/or my motherboard.  On the other
hand the SSD works nicely with non-Linux disk testing utilities.  Sigh...

--
     Alan Robertson<al...@unix.sh>

"Openness is the foundation and preservative of friendship...  Let me claim
from you at all times your undisguised opinions." - William Wilberforce