On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 10:25:28AM +0200, Patrick Begou wrote:
> Just to give some final info on this thread:
> - Heartbeat version 2.0.8 do not works with heartbeat version 1.2.x. i
> had to install two identical versions on the two nodes (downgrading FC6
> official version)

Interesting. I wonder if you ran into bugs here. BTW, I don't
think you posted any logs.

Also, why is it that you wanted to run 1.2 with 2.0?

> - version 1.2.x works without major problems between a node Fedora Core
> 6 X86_64 and a node Debian Sarge AMD64.

Good. heartbeat should run in a mix of platforms. I think I can
recall somebody having a solaris/linux cluster.

> The main difficultie is for the haresource file. The documentation
> should be changed a little in the sense that:
>  haresources should not be identical but should provide the same
> behavior as ressources names can change with OSs:
>  - bind9, in Debian, is named in FC6
>  - nfs startup is different in the two OSs
>  - etc...

Hmpf. In cases like this it would be best to use the heartbeat
supplied resource agents. And, if those don't exist, to write one
or, as an ultimate resort, adopt one of the two for the other
platform.

> One of the main problem in this situation is also different uid for the
> owners of sendmail, named.... services and different version of these
> services not fully compatible with the shared data files. It is not
> fully solved for me!

:) You'd have to manually fix the IDs to match on all nodes.
Heartbeat can't help here.

> It is quite difficult to move one HA node to a new version (with the
> other one in production) and then update the second one while the first
> is in production!

Yes, for v1, but with the v2 (CRM) kind of cluster it's a peace of
cake.

> Thanks all for your help and precious advices.

Welcome. BTW, did you reach any conclusion regarding the crashes?

> Patrick
>
> --

Dejan