So I've got ldirector up and running just fine and providing ldap high
availability to  2 backend real servers on port 389.

Here is the output of netstat on both real servers:
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:389
0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN
tcp        0      0 :::389
:::*                        LISTEN

So I used the same director server to create another highly available
application jboss running on port 8080. If I look at the director server
I see the output of ipvsadm shows both real servers alive and well.

[r...@lvsuat1a ha.d]# ipvsadm
Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
  -> RemoteAddress:Port           Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  esbuat1.vip.intranet.mydom lc
  -> gasayul9300602.intranet.mydom Tunnel  1      0          0
  -> gasayul9300601.intranet.mydom Tunnel  1      1          0

Looks good so far. Now the problem is that I cannot telnet to the VIP on
port 8080; I get "connection refused". If I change the ldirectord.cf to
listen on port 22, it works perfectly. So this would seem to indicate
that I have things set up appropriately on the director server. So I
started poking around on the backend real servers and netstat looks like
this:

[supp...@esbuat1b ~]$ netstat -an | grep 8080
tcp        0      0 172.28.185.13:8080
0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN

so comparing this to the netstat above that listens on port 389 I see
that perhaps there is an entry missing, perhaps this:
tcp        0      0 :::8080
:::*                        LISTEN

So I don't claim to be a "networking" expert and so maybe I've missed
something in my setup and this is why port 8080 is having issues. Can
anyone provide me with any pointers or where to go to next? After
getting the ldap servers working, I figured this would be easy but I'm
struggling with this one.