Robert,
> You should find it on
> http://lists.linux-ha.org/pipermail/linux-ha/2011-February/thread.html
> by tomorrow or so. (title: 'Add real monitoring capabilities to IPaddr2
> resource agent')
[Cross post this as you wish]

>> ip addr show [interface]
>>
>> and look for the existence of 'LOWER_UP'. E.G. :-
>>
>> 2: eth0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast
>> qlen 1000
>
> Well, I just looked for 'UP'. Is this wrong? (...will also try to find
> out myself....)
One of the main reasons to monitor the interface is as a quick check to see
if the network is properly connected (rather than doing 'pings' all the
time)
... if you just pull the network plug from your computer you may well find
that the interface is still 'UP', and it's local IP address may even still
respond to pings, however you obviously do not have connectivity. The
'LOWER_UP' should however have disappeared (you may also see 'NO-CARRIER'
at this time). So, yes, I would say that just looking for 'UP' is in fact
wrong.

Max