On 2013-07-11T08:41:33, Ulrich Windl <ulrich.wi...@rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:

> > For a really silly idea, but can you swap the network cards for a test?
> > Say, with Intel NICs, or even another Broadcom model?
> Unfortunately no: The 4-way NIC is onboard, and all slots are full.

Too bad.

But then you could really try raising a support request about the
network driver, perhaps one of the kernel/networking gurus has an idea.

> RX packet drops. Maybe the bug is in the bonding code...
> bond0: RX packets:211727910 errors:0 dropped:18996906 overruns:0 frame:0
> eth1: RX packets:192885954 errors:0 dropped:21 overruns:0 frame:0
> eth4: RX packets:18841956 errors:0 dropped:18841956 overruns:0 frame:0
>
> Both cards are identical. I wonder: If bonding mode is "fault-tolerance
> (active-backup)", is it normal then to see such statistics. ethtool -S reports
> a high number for "rx_filtered_packets"...

Possibly. It'd be interesting to know what packets get dropped; this
means you have approx. 10% of your traffic on the backup link. I wonder
if all the nodes/switches/etc agree on what is the backup port and what
isn't ...?

If 10% of the communication ends up on the wrong NIC, that surely would
mess up a number of recovery protocols.

An alternative test case would be to see how the system behaves if you
disable bonding - or if the names should stay the same, only one NIC in
the bond.

Regards,
    Lars

--