On 16/01/15 01:50 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
On 01/16/2015 11:19 AM, Digimer wrote:

When RHEL 6 was released, Red Hat wanted to reduce their support
overhead a lot. So many things that used to be supported were dropped.
DRBD, unlike most other dropped programs, is still supported, just not
by RH directly. They worked out an agreement with LINBIT to allow
officially supported RHEL systems to be fully supported when they ran
DRBD.

Ah, OK. We moved from RHEL to Centos a few years back so I'm not quite
up to date on official RedHat's offerings anymore. I do know they bought
ceph recently and now have their own shiny! cloudy! replicated iscsi
block device, so ...

Two comments;

1. CentOS replicates RHEL, "warts and all". RHEL doesn't ship the DRBD RPMs anymore (that comes from the support via LINBIT), so thus, the RPMs aren't in CentOS, either.

2. DRBD is an HA technology, ceph/gluster are cloud technologies. Of course there is overlap (specially when someone tries to hammer solutions into place), but there really serve different use-cases. DRBD excels (and I would argue is untouched) in it's ability to replicate storage across two nodes, perfect for 90% of HA clusters. On the other hand, from what I've gathered, ceph/gluster shine brightest when they're on top of many nodes. Their goal is, first, scalability and resource utilization. DRBD's is, first, data protection.

So I don't think (but I don't know) that Red Hat's decision was based on an "we have our own shiny!) argument. I think that it was a case of looking at the back-porting effort of supporting DRBD on the 2.6.32 kernel (drbd didn't go mainline until .33), looked at the potential revenue vs cost, came up with a viable alternative for customers who needed it and settled on that.

Again, my understanding only, I could be wrong.

--
Digimer
What if the cure for cancer is trapped in the mind of a person without access to education?