Greetings all

Following on from a question a couple of weeks ago from Richard Bown, does
anyone have any ideas on a telnet gateway to be implemented at an Apache cgi
script.

The idea is a simple javascript page downloaded to the client that provides
2 windows - the upper has text appended to it and it scrolls appropriately
(if this can be done in JS) and the lower has keyboard focus to take the
(echoed) user input which is forwarded on <return>

The host end would provide a prompt for the host to connect to and socket
number  (if not 23) and simply transfer the relevant user data between the
telnet server and the JS running on the client using standard http wrappers
on socket 80 (or 8080 or whatever). I assume that the host end will have to
track the user(s) to ensure that multiple use doesn't end up with cross
connected sessions (maybe a serial number).

Just looking to get convers access through a firewall so I can chat at
lunchtimes from work really :-)) but it would also be handy for remote
sysoping and would help with providing a tighter firewall at the gateway
host as it wouldn't expose telnet directly to the outside world!!

--

73 de Robin. G8ECJ                      Hub manager gb7ipd

NTS: G8ECJ@GB7TVG.#42.GBR.EU            AmprNet:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.gb7ipd.freeserve.co.uk/
Shack: (+44) 1628 533311                Fax:  (+44) 1628 850165
Club pages (g4xyw modem etc) at http://www.tvipug.freeserve.co.uk