On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 11:31:25AM +0200, RYDBERG STEFAN wrote:
> Är det någon som vet hur jag får svenska tecken i call? Har svenska
> tecken överallt annars. Kör nu RedHat men har även SuSE. Samma i bägge.
> Stefan / SM7TIX

This forum is by default in english, so I prefer to answer in that.

You can get "swedish" characters (8 bit characters in general) thru
on message contents, but not on AX25 link addresses.

An issue might be that some other nodes/users might use MSDOS with its
own "interesting" set of "nationalized" characters, which codepoints
don't match those of ISO-8859-1, after all..
So while you transmit your swedish chars, codes for them are not the
same as those used by some other people, and vice versa.

Applications don't usually manage translations from user character set
to some canonic set on wire/air -- see irc-II, which has such facility.

Another is that some applications are written a bit poorly, and don't
let 8-bit chars thru from keyboard to them, but that should not be
considered as a *permanent* obstacle.   Try to find the software
author(s) to make them aware of the need for 8-bit transparent
operation, so that you can then transmit e.g. ISO-8859-1 characters
thru them.

/Matti Aarnio - OH2MQK