Linux-Hardware Digest #131, Volume #9             Fri, 8 Jan 99 03:13:39 EST

Contents:
  Re: SEE YA' LATER SUCKERS !!! HAHAHAHA !!! (Sechylmanos)
  Re: Newbie needs help AGP video card with Intel 740 chip (Guillaume Cottenceau)
  Re: carte TV MIRO PCTV (Guillaume Cottenceau)
  Re: SoundBlaster PCI64 Setup in RH 5.2 (Guillaume Cottenceau)
  Re: X windows off kilter (Loose Nut)
  Re: monitor/keyboard/mouse switch advce requested (Horacio)
  Can I use the IDE on my sound card with a 486 ("Norm Dresner")
  Re: SEE YA' LATER SUCKERS !!! HAHAHAHA !!! (Yan Seiner)
  Distribution with Voodoo II? ("Dominique Javet")
  Failed init of my AHA1520 SCSI card ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Suggest a 64 bit Video card UPGRADE please! (Jason McKnight)
  Re: voicemail/fax/data modem (James)
  Overclocked celeron on a abit BH6 ("Chinchilla")
  Re: Which Modem to Use (James)
  Re: PLEASE HELP !!! PLEASE HELP !!! (David Fox)
  Re: SEE YA' LATER SUCKERS !!! HAHAHAHA !!! (Iain)
  Snapscan600 and SANE1.0 (Axel Hecht)
  Re: Ethernet card recommendation--urgent (Thomas Klettke)
  Re: Fritz pmp und Suse 5.3 Hilfe! (Andreas Kurth)
  Re: SEE YA' LATER SUCKERS !!! HAHAHAHA !!! ("Charles Stack")
  New Linus site (tandg)
  Re: What do you think of this hardware Config? ("C.G.")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sechylmanos)
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: SEE YA' LATER SUCKERS !!! HAHAHAHA !!!
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 22:04:15 -0800

It's so sad that his parents never gave him the attention he needs.

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > FTP INSTALL FINALLY WORKED THANKS TO CROSSBONES !!!
> > Well, except for me and Crossbones, all of you are none more than
> > f****** idiots. But it's been fun insulting everyone one of you, who
> > were against me, in this newsgroup. In fact, when you look at the
> > thread(s), it probably reminds you of Jerry Springer. Now I did not ask
> > for this, you all forced me into it, so don't even f****** blame me !!!
> > Anyway, it was fun fighting like in the Springer shows but I gotta go
> > now, so
> > GOOD-BYE TO ALL YOU MENTALLY RETARDED IDIOTS OUT THERE WHO CAN'T BE
HELPFUL THE WAY I WANT IT !!!

------------------------------

From: Guillaume Cottenceau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie needs help AGP video card with Intel 740 chip
Date: 07 Jan 1999 17:27:47 +0100

"Bruce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi, just installed RH 5.2 on a dual boot win98 system.
> I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for setting
> this video card up. Alternatively could you point me to somewhere
> that could help.
>
> Thanks,
>  Bruce

Deja news is your friend.

If you're a guru, just go to ftp.redhat.com, look for the XBF i740 binary-only
server, and install it! :)

--
  "Power to the people. Linux is here."  -- Matt Welsh
  Guillaume Cottenceau, 4eme annee informatique, I.N.S.A Rennes.

------------------------------

From: Guillaume Cottenceau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: carte TV MIRO PCTV
Date: 07 Jan 1999 17:18:28 +0100

fred <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> salut, j'ai une carte TV Miro PCTV et je souhaiterai l'utiliser sous
> Linux. est ce quelqu'un pourrai m'aider =E0 le faire...
>
> Merci

This is an international ngl and you need to talk in english. For a french
one please go to fr.comp.os.linux.*

C'est un newsgroup international et tu dois parler anglais ici. Pour un ng
francais, va sur fr.comp.os.linux.*

From: Guillaume Cottenceau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SoundBlaster PCI64 Setup in RH 5.2
Date: 07 Jan 1999 17:16:21 +0100

"The Nikora Foundation" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Any help on configuring a Soundblaster PCI 64 on RH 5.2.  RH recognizes it
> as an Esoniq PCI 64/128 but any irq or dma that I configure...no ah ah.
> Under Win95, there are 2 sets of irq's and dma's.  One for DOS based
> applications and ones that Windows itself utilizes.  I've tried both to no
> avail.  Has anyone done it?  I know that there are alot of these cards out
> there.
> Any help is appreciated.
> Thanks

Basically :

- stable kernels don't support it

- so you need a developpment kernel or another sound system (like opensound I
remember)

- this subject has been heavily discussed, please read former threads, or
dejanews

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loose Nut)
Subject: Re: X windows off kilter
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 06:19:03 GMT

I don't know anything about SuSe? I use slackware. I had this problem
on my monitor also, both 95 and console were fine, but X was way off.
I used the XF86Setup utility to setup X, once it was configured it
gave me the option to start a video align program, just for that
purpose. After setting it up, it has worked fine, even through
Windowmaker, KDE, QT, and other installs. You could try using the
"XF86Setup" from the prompt. Like I said, I don't know SuSe, but it
may be in there. (pssst... or get slackware) heh-he.

Loose Nut

"Monetary systems cannot exist without poverty."

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 06:13:26 +0000
From: Horacio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: monitor/keyboard/mouse switch advce requested

Eugene wrote:

> Yeah, I had this switch box on my last job. It worked fine for keyboard &
> monitor but I had trouble with mouse (this may be only because of that
> particular switch box). If you switch the from one computer to another mouse
> would get "stuck" for a few second. It annoyed me and i ended up getting a
> second mouse...
>
> Not A Number wrote in message
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> t>...
> >Hi folx-
> >
> >I am looking to set up a second machine for pure linux. To avoid
> >duplicating all this stuff, I am thinking of a monitor/keyboard/mouse
> >switch. A two-way switch seems fine, although I would go to three or
> >four if the marginal cost wasn't much.
> >
> >If anyone has a story to tell or a device to recommend/avoid I'd
> >appreciate hearing from you.
> >
> >Also, to check my assumption: I assume that I can use this to switch
> >back and forth between machines while both are on and running, right?
> >I know that the keyboard controller chip in PCs has/had something to
> >do with memory (A20 line?) but hardware really isn't my thing and I
> >have no idea what the implications of that are.
> >
> >Thanks in advance for any pointers or other help. ;)

I have done it using a switch box and cables.  I think the switch and
related hardware should be available from Radio Shack.  I found one
problem early on was that a delay was needed, when I switched the
keyboard between my Linux computer and a windows computer.  It could
have something to do with the LED's.  My solution was to put one on A,
and the other on C.  I found this gave enough of a delay between
switching systems.  I also used two mice, but this was just because one
is a PS2 and the other a COM port mouse.  It is an excellent way to
learn to use Linux, and not going nuts rebooting.

From: "Norm Dresner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can I use the IDE on my sound card with a 486
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 14:43:11 GMT

I have a '486 computer which only can handle 2 HDs.  My sound card has an
IDE connector.  Can I use this in LINUX?  Are there any restrictions on
what kind of drive I can connect to it (e.g. are CD-ROM drives okay)?

        Thanks
                Norm D.

------------------------------

From: Yan Seiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 11:21:55 -0500

Ah well, I can't wait 'till his (her?) ego runs up against a config
issue....  ;-)

Yan

------------------------------

From: "Dominique Javet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Distribution with Voodoo II?
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 18:40:41 +0100

Hello,

I'm a newbie with Linux, but I'll try it and I don't know what kind of
diistribution I must choose.
Here my PC hardware:
PII 350 128mb with a video Rage Pro 8mb ATI 3D DAC card, 3DFX Voodoo II 12mb
Creative, Soundblaster Live Full version, Zip internal, CD
What kind of distribution goes well with my configuration (SUSE 6.0 don't
support the Voodoo II card)?

Kind regards, Dominique Javet

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Failed init of my AHA1520 SCSI card
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 17:27:35 GMT

Hi,

I have a PCM-3420 SCSI-2 card, which is fully AHA 1520 compatable.  It is a
PC/104 expansion board, and it is plugged into an ISA adapter board.  This
allows me to use the card on a ordinary PC.

I've tried the board on my PC/104 system, which is running Linux Router
Project as its OS, and I have no problems using it there.  But when I try it
on my Debian Linux system (stock kernel 2.0.34), I get the error message
below.

It is set to IRQ 11 with the jumpers, why am I getting a "trying software
interrupt, lost" error message?  What does it even mean?

Thanks,

Aaron

===============================

aha152x: BIOS test: passed, auto configuration: ok, detected 1 controller(s)
aha152x0: vital data: PORTBASE=0x340, IRQ=11, SCSI ID=7, reconnect=enabled,
pari ty=enabled, synchronous=disabled, delay=100, extended
translation=disabled aha152x: trying software interrupt, lost. aha152x: IRQ
11 possibly wrong.  Please verify. Failed initialization of WD-7000 SCSI
card! ppa: Version 1.42 ppa: Probing port 03bc ppa: Probing port 0378 ppa:
SPP port present ppa: Probing port 0278 scsi0 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver;
$Revision: 1.18 $ scsi : 1 host. scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid
0, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Te st Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00 scsi :
aborting command due to timeout : pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 Te st
Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00 [SNIP] scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid
6, scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0 Te st Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00 scsi :
aborting command due to timeout : pid 6, scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0 Te st
Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00 scsi : detected total.

From: Jason McKnight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Suggest a 64 bit Video card UPGRADE please!
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 12:49:46 -0500

Don Elkington wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The current video card is a 32 bit pci device with 1Mb of ram, hence
> somewhat slow under linux at 800x600 with 256 colors and unaccelerated
> under the XFree86_SVGA driver (3.3.2).
>
> It  does a great job of matching the multisync . monitor's preset
> modes and the old ibm and later VESA video modes, and has software
> drivers for them under dos/windows and runs runs at decent refresh
> rates.
> It also has VESA display power management under dos and linux.
>
> Those early text and graphics modes are used by a load of old but
> irreplaceable dos programs that will never get rewritten or replaced,
> nor ,its appears, go obsolete.
>
> Looking at the Millenium II, it seems to support only VESA vga 640x480
> and upwards, and with limited dos functionality, e.g. dpms.
>
> I had a look at a few old favorites like S3 Virge 3D and drew a
> similar blank with a couple of video card makers spec. sheets.
>
> Your suggestions please.
> ----
> Don
> ----
> Avance Logic 2302 Video Card :-
> 1. Graphics modes
> ibm      640x350/400/480
> vesa   640x350/400/480
>              800x600
>              1024x768
>              1280x1024  (of no current use)
>               and various oddballs like 320x200
> 2. Text  modes
>         40x25 (of no current use)
>         80x25/30/43/60
>         132x25/30/43/60
> 3. VESA         display power management
> Don
Get a Riva 128Zx card. They are really cheap now and are supported
reasonably well now. I am currently running at 1280X1024 16 bit and am
pleased with it.  If you have the cash, you might look into a Riva TNT
based card. I know that the 3.3.3 server supports it, but I don't know
how well. I am looking at one of those too, so if you get it let me know
how it works for you.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James)
Subject: Re: voicemail/fax/data modem
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 06:58:27 GMT

To add to this, I have a Viking 56k ISA F/D modem, and have found that
it too is a winmodem - I saw nothing on the packaging at the time to
indicate this tho.

I have sent them a flaming statement regarding this, which boils down
to the fact that to avoid purchasing a "brain-damaged" modem, I stuck
with ISA. Obviously this in itself isn't enough - and the list at the
below website is an excellent piece of information I wish I had before
purchasing it (even though this particular modem isn't on the list...)

It has a Lucent Tech. chipset, but I don't want to power down and pull
it out to get the fcc number (I may just not put it back in)...

Jim

------------------------------

From: "Chinchilla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Overclocked celeron on a abit BH6
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 12:57:34 -0500

hi everyone I'm planing on running RH5.2 and Win98 on the same system and
I'm gong to be upgrading soon and I want to know if anyone has herd of any
complications with pumping up a celeron with on an abit BH6 and having RH5.2
flip out.. thanks to all
Ben

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James)
Subject: Re: Which Modem to Use
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 07:26:49 GMT

This seems like a good brand, but if you shop around, you can find a
good v.90 modem (internal) for under $70 - just check it with the list
at the following address before you buy...

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: PLEASE HELP !!! PLEASE HELP !!!
Date: 07 Jan 1999 09:59:30 -0800

David Shepherd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Whilst this obnoxious person has been winding everyone up, there has
> been mention of what his ISP would think of his antics. Assuming he uses
> an ISP. I just pointed my browser at www.hdtv.com and it turns out to be
> a company called Image Circuits, consulting engineers specializing in
> the design of digital video systems. There is no mention of providing an
> Internet Service, so it would appear that he is an employee. Perhaps
> the   management of Image Circuits would be interested?!

Eh.  (shrug)

From: Iain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 18:03:41 +0000

Total wanker!

------------------------------

From: Axel Hecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Snapscan600 and SANE1.0
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 19:07:24 +0100

Hi,
we're trying to install a Snapscan600 under SANE1.0.
The scanner is found properly by find-scanner on /dev/scanner and
/dev/sg5.
But scanimage reports a 'Invalid Argument' error. Our investigations
show that this happens after the mini-inquiry, the last DEBUG gives '72
bytes read'. The error is issued after sane_open.

Thanx in advance

Axel (& Darius)

------------------------------

From: Thomas Klettke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.networking,redhat.networking.general,iu.linux
Subject: Re: Ethernet card recommendation--urgent
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 12:08:58 -0600

Clay Bond wrote:

>  I need somebody to give
> me an ethernet card recommendation, where we're talking
> about a card that will be recognized immediately by the
> installation program (meaning that it's on the listed
> cards on the installation screen) and works faultlessly
> as soon as the installation is over.  No compliling the
> kernel.  No weird parameters.  A card that is truly
> supported by 5.2, not a card that's going to waste my
> valuable time.  And it obviously has to be an ISA card.

I used all kind of cards with 5.1 and 5.2, the easiest I ever installed
were Linksys' NE 2000 clones. When installed during setup (use
Autoprobe) I never had any problems. Setting up the card later (after
Linux is already installed) is not that easy, but still doesn't cause
trouble.

Hope it helped,

Thomas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Kurth)
Crossposted-To: at.linux,de.alt.comm.isdn4linux,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Fritz pmp und Suse 5.3 Hilfe!
Date: 7 Jan 1999 17:51:51 GMT

Koeb Manfred wrote:
> Kann mir jemand sagen wie ich meine  etc/rc.config richtig einstelle ohne
> das ich immer diese Meldung bekomme.
> Jan  7 06:16:35 Homix kernel: AVM A1: wrong HSCX versions check IO address
> Jan  7 06:16:35 Homix kernel: HiSax: Card AVM A1 not installed !

Kernel 2.0.36 benutzen.

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/isdn/README.HiSax sorgfältig lesen.

--
Andreas Kurth    Mannheim, Germany

------------------------------

From: "Charles Stack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 13:09:09 -0500

He'll be back with another question.  Perhaps then, noone will want to help
him.

cjs

------------------------------

From: tandg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: New Linus site
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 00:42:56 -0500

==============5983C2AD08C94DB32ECE44C7

New linux web site
 The Linux Files

==============5983C2AD08C94DB32ECE44C7

<HTML>
New linux web site
<BR>&nbsp;<A HREF="http://members.xoom.com/techfile">The Linux Files</A></HTML>

From: "C.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What do you think of this hardware Config?
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 18:13:41 GMT

Thanks for your ideas. I am considering a PCI SCSI card as we speak. I
forgot to include in my message that I got a lot of this stuff for
*free*!!!!! This config is a GIANT leap forward compared to my previous
Linux box (486/100 !!!!).

Thanks again for your ideas. I am going to try to get the PCI SCSI and LAN
card for this puppy this weekend. What would you suggest for a good 15"
monitor?

Michael

Michael Meissner wrote in message ...
>"C.G." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> I am in the process of buying some hardware for my killer Linux box. What
do
>> you think of these choices:
>
>I'm confused, about 1/2 of the components seem to be low end/cheap.  Maybe
we
>have different ideas about what a 'killer' Linux box is.  I can certainly
>understand wanting to get the best bang for the buck, and everybody has a
>limited amount of money to spend....
>
>> Motherboard:  IWill XA100 Plus
>
>IWILL tends to be a second/third-tier motherboard company.  It presumably
will
>work, but is not a name brand.
>
>> Processor:  AMD K6-2 350
>
>Should work, though I've only run Intel Pentium{,-Pro,-II} personally.
>
>> RAM:  PC100 64 MB DIMM
>
>You might want to think about ECC PC100 64 MB dimms to correct stray 1 bit
>errors.  It is somewhat more expensive.
>
>> SCSI Card:  Adaptec 1542CP ISA
>
>You won't get ANY kind of performance with ISA SCSI controllers.  For just
>little more money, get something like a TekRam 390F, which is PCI based,
and
>supports Ultra-wide devices.
>
>> HardDrive:  Two Seagate Barracuda 2 GB (SCSI)
>
>Might be better with a 4 GB drive.  Some of the Barracudas run real hot, so
you
>might need to look into drive coolers (which in turn means you need 2 open
5
>1/4" bays, which in turn means a full tower case).  Note, many of the 2.1
gig
>Barracudas are fairly old drives may not have that long of a warranty, may
be
>SCA drives, which requires getting a 80->50 pin converter, and have fairly
slow
>seek times compared to current disks.  Note, disks are the one thing that
have
>a high chance of breaking down due to being mechanical, rather than just
>electrical, and also can have shortened life times if the heat gets too
high.
>For a 4.5 GB drive that runs cool and is relatively cheap, you might want
>look at the IBM Ultrastar models, which is ~ $220 (according to
pricewatch).

>Another thought is to go with the cheaper IDE disks that give you more
storage.
>The 2.2.0-xx linux kernel supports the IDE UDMA support (I think 2.0.36
>supports it too), which closes the gap somewhat (scsi still is clearly the
>winner at the high end of performance if you go to multiple disks and/or
10,000
>rpm disks).
>
>> CDROM: Toshiba 12X SCSI
>
>You do tend to pay a penalty for SCSI.  You might want to think about an
IDE