  Re: Latest/Greatest Linux hangs with X (Alessandro Ferioli)

From: Sven Jonsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Linux drivers for Canopus TOTAL 3D
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 22:26:17 +0100

Billy Bob wrote:

> I know that Red Hat linux 5.2 supports Diamond viper 330 with RIVA chipset.
> Howcome it doesn't support the canopus TOTAL 3D with the same RIVA
> chipset???   I paid US $ 230 for this card and Linux doesn't suppport it ??
> why ? why ? why?  :-(
>
> Asim

Hi Billy Bob.
Did you actually try configuring X for another card with the same chipset,
before
crossposting your complaint to all linux news-groups you could find ?

I guess not, because if you had, you would have seen that it actually works.
At least
on my box, with canopus TOTAL 3D, with the RIVA 128 chipset,  and the RH 5.2
distribution.

/Sven

------------------------------

From: Ivo Naninck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PAS16
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 22:32:07 +0100

Hello All,

This might be asked zillion times before, but may I ask again?

I have a PAS16 soundcard, but can't get it to work on my Slackware
with kernel 2.0.36, final revision.
I use 0x388 iobase (default), IRQ7, DMA5, but all I hear is a
beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

I tried
- to compile only PAS16 in the kernel.
- both PAS16 and SB16 (according to
/usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/Readme.cards)
  in the kernel
- only SB16 in the kernel.
- the OSS stuff from 4front (www.opensound.com)

all to no avail.
Yes, I have read the SOUND.HOWTO.
Yes, I have checked dejanews, not much there...

Without yet going into detail, can somebody give me a hint, for example
-what did you do to get it working
-which settings
-whatever

(Is it possible to send me a CC?)

Thanks in advance!
--
Best regards, and don't let the bits byte!
Ivo Naninck.

------------------------------

From: "Jürgen Exner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux drivers for IOMEGA zip drive
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 13:26:09 -0800

>In article <76vs77$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  Stephen Richard FREELAND <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> In comp.os.linux.misc Jürgen Exner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> :>In article <753i7a$3kd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> :>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark O Thomas) wrote:
>> :>>
>> :>> Where can I find drivers for the Zip and Jaz drives?
>>
>> : You don't need any.
>> :  It's just another drive and all drivers you need are the standard
drivers
>> : as for any other HD.

>> Um, wrong.
>> Could be your kernel already has the right driver in there, but it
>> is *definitely* not your run-of-the-mill IDE hard drive code.

>> [...]

Well, the original poster didn't specify what kind of interface his drives
use, so I assumed SCSI.
And for SCSI those removable drives are pure vanilla standard HDs where you
don't need any special drivers at all.

See, this is actually the beauty of SCSI.

jue
--
Jürgen Exner; microsoft.com, UID: jurgenex
Sorry for this anti-spam inconvenience

------------------------------

From: "Grant Leslie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which version of Xfree86 3.3.3 should I download?
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 17:30:46 -0400

For Redhat you'll need the glibc version..
best bet would be goto the ftp://ftp.redhat.com site or a mirror and check
in the "Updates" directory under RedHat5.2, XFree86 3.3.3 rpms are there.

news:775p46$mmn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Leo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATI XPERT@PLAY AGP
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 16:48:37 -0800

I have an xpert@play 4MB AGP card that won't run on Readhat 5.2. I
upgraded the kernal to 2.0.36 and X to 3.3.3 and it recognized it as a
PCI MACH 64. I also haev a PCI version of the card  installed it has 8MB
of VRAM. I tried configuring X with each card individually and it still
didn't work. I've even swapped the 4MB upgrade chip to see if that might
help.

        I'm running on a clone PII 350Mhz with 128MB of RAM. The box I'm
running on is my machine here at work when purchased it had the AGP. I
bought the PCI separately so that I could run dual monitors in Win98. (
I know I know, but this being a "work" machine I am still slave to MS
:\)

If anyone out there has any insight on how to get my AGP card to work it
would be much appreciated.

------------------------------

From: NoName <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: SEE YA' LATER SUCKERS !!! HAHAHAHA !!!
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 20:02:28 -0600

Now maybe you'll spend some time in a nice quiet room with lots and lots of rubber
padding. And NO
computers.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (No One)
Subject: Re: monitor/keyboard/mouse switch advce requested
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 22:16:46 GMT

Thank you both for these replies. I have used linux since 1994, so I
am not too worried about this part. What I hope is, someone has had
good or bad experiences with specific models etc.

I don't mind having two mice or two keyboards. I have a very nice
Nokia monitor that I like, and I don't want to spend all that money a
second time for a second machine, especially since nice 18" flat panel
displays will be so cheap within the next 18 mos.

Thanks again.

NAN

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [OFF TOPIC] Wanted: 120MB or 200MB 2.5 inch laptop IDE hard drive
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 02:24:48 GMT

I've got an old DecPC 425SE laptop that has a sick 120M hard drive.
Unfortunately the BIOS will recognize *ONLY* a 120M or 200M drive, so
please don't try to sell me a 1 gigabyte drive. Also, this does
require a 2.5 inch laptop drive.

Thanks in advance. I'd love to get Linux up and running on this guy as
cheaply as possible.

        Paul Bartz
Remove nospam from the address below to contact me.

From: "Clifton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Internal K56Flex/V.90 internal modems
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 11:03:35 +0930

Thanks for the advice.

------------------------------

From: "DAYPASS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 17:37:09 -0500

My dad taught me how to run programs in DOS..

From: Andreas Bombe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 19 inch monitor recommendations sought
Date: 7 Jan 1999 20:10:07 +0100

Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> James Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> I'm in the market for a new monitor, and I've decided to go with a 19
>> inch of some type.

> You might also look at the Nokia 446Xpro.  Before I went to a 21"
> Nokia, I had a 17" ViewSonic, and then went to a 17" Nokia.  It was
> amazing the difference in clarity between the two (and the clarity
> between the Mag I'm currently using on my home machine and the
> ViewSonic was also amazing with the ViewSonic coming in better, but
> less than the Nokia -- in monitors, you tend to get what you pay
> for).  Of course at the time, the Nokia was going for 1000, and the
> ViewSonic about 700 (IIRC, in terms of 19" monitors, the Nokia is
> about $100 more than the ViewSonic).

Yep, the 446Xpro gives really sharp and clear images (I bought one a
few days ago :-).  I can really suggest it to anyone who looks for a
high quality 19" monitor.

>> Also, what advantage, if any, does using a BNC cable offer?  Should
>> this be an important factor in my decision?

> A BNC cable can produce a slightly better screen (on the other hand,
> buying a $50 premium shielded vga cable can also do the same).

The main advantage for many maybe is that if you have BNC connectors,
you have two inputs and can connect two computers.  However, not many
monitors are designed for that use and therefore the BNC/D-Sub switch
is often deeply buried somewhere in the on-screen menus.

Some monitors do have a separate BNC switch at the front side which
allows easy switching.  Of the 19" monitors, these are:
- the Nokia 446Xpro
- the Mitsubishi Diamond Scan 90e and
- the CTX 950EX / 1995UE
--
Andreas E. Bombe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://home.pages.de/~andreas.bombe/

PGP 1024bit ID:0x886663c9 fingerprint: 30EC0973847B5583 C47A91D99DC54BB0
    2048bit ID:0xF62D5CC1 fingerprint: 136BBC1536B8B77A 200558E86FAAF8ED

------------------------------

From: Andreas Bombe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: memory expansion
Date: 7 Jan 1999 20:34:30 +0100

Jim Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> After installing linux into my pentium 60 machine, I discovered it only had
> 16 meg of ram (dunno why I though it had more) When I upgraded it to 64 meg,
> I got a core dump during boot. The only way I got it to boot again was to
> boot with "linux mem=16M". Is there some way I can get this thing to
> recognize the full memory without having a conniption over it?

Your new memory chips (at least one) is broken or not correctly
installed.  This does not sound like a Linux problem.

From: "PDG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Multiple NIC Cards.. HELP!!
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 22:09:27 -0500

if you plan on using two nic cards of the same type, you need to re-compile
your kernel to use the driver directly IN the kernel, not as a module

--
PDG--"We bring bad things to life"

For PGP Public key-- http://webcrush.com/pgp.htm

------------------------------

From: Eric House <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to stop audio feedback on laptop?
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 14:32:35 -0800

The question: how to I keep my laptop's microphone and built-in speaker
from going into a feedback loop (screech!!)?

Background: I recently compiled sound support into the kernel (as a
module) and have been having fun with mp3s etc.  It all seems to work
great.  But when I take the speaker plug out of the headphone jack the
machine sends sound to the built-in speaker, which happens to be right
next to the microphone when the laptop's folded closed.  And so it
screeches.

The same thing happens even if I 'rmmod sound'.  The only fix I've found
is to reboot.

Thinking to shut the microphone off, I tried making /dev/audio
read-only.  No change.  Does this mean the mic is wired directly to
the speaker?

Any suggestions for fixing this are welcome!  Thanks,

If it matters, I have an HP OmniBook 800CT running Debian 2.0.  Sound
card is soundblaster-compatible.

--Eric House

|            from the desktop of: Eric House, [EMAIL PROTECTED]              |
|    "The instructions said 'Win98 or better' -- so I installed Linux"    |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Benoit Goudreault-Emond)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Linux with Non Intel
Date: 8 Jan 1999 03:26:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "No Spam
Captain_Morgan"@worldnet.att.net wrote:
> I have Red Hat ver 5.1.  Can anyone tell me if it will work on a non
> Intel processor such as an AMD K6-2 or a Ciryx?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: I have a K6 processor, and it's a killer Linux platform IMHO
(esp. with 64 MB of RAM :{), but I used to manage quite well with 32 MB.
It's just that I've yet to hit the swap with 64 MB...).  Some Cyrix
processors may need a bit of tweaking (either kernel patches or some messing
around with set6x86) to get optimal performance and minimal overheating.

--
Benoit Goudreault-Emond
CoFounder, KMS Group ; Student, B. Comp. Eng, Concordia University

Note:   the "From:" address is not correct to protect myself against spam.
        My actual e-mail address is: ``bgoudem AT axess DOT com''

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 01:07:26 +0100
From: Alessandro Ferioli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Latest/Greatest Linux hangs with X

Greg McNichol wrote:

> Same problem w/ my Cirrus Lgic chip -- Red Hat tells me to use a lower video
> resolution which, IMHO, is not a viable answer. Anyone have any additional ideas
> on this?
>
> Greg
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Charles Hodgson wrote:
>
> > Who cares whether its the "kernel" or not if the only practical way to get
> > the machine going again is to reboot the thing!!
> >
> > Russell wrote in message ...
> > >On Thu, 17 Dec 1998 06:41:22 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > >+ I just installed Suse Linux (latest/greatest) and got the latest XF86
> > server.
> > >+ But when I am running X my machine just hangs, mouse/keyboard response
> > >+ - the machine is *dead* - ping gives no response.  So kernel has crashed.
> > >+ (happens I think exclusively when I am running Netscape 4.08)
> > >+
> > > This does not necessarily mean the kernel has crashed.
> > >
> > > r.

A similar problem here:

I installed Linux Slackware 3.5 on a PII 333 Mhz, 96 Mb RAM, 8Gb HD EIDE
(SOYO 6KBE motherboard, AWARD BIOS), Expertcolor 4 Mb S3 GX2 AGP graphic
adapter (DV5357).
An ISA sound blaster, an ISA 3C503 and a PCI INTEL video camera card are
also fitted in their slots.
A 100 Mb swap partition is present.

It works fine but it hangs when using some applications, like games,
ghostview, textedit, ...
Simply the system (keyboard, mouse, applications) stops responding and I
must hardware reset.

I defined 94 Mb RAM in LILO boot, to avoid possible top memory
conflicts, but the problem persists.

I have the same problem with Red Hat 5.0 installed in another hard drive
partition.

The crashes are much more frequent with 24 bit color X server instead of
8 bit color X server (XFree 3.3.2).

Alessandro