  CRC error at boot time:  hardware related? (De Clarke)

From: Piotr Szeptynski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.tape,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Iomega DITTO MAX woes
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:15:15 +0100

Bruce Barnett wrote:

> FTape: 4.03-pre-2
> /etc/conf.modules:
>         alias char-major-27 zftape
>         options ftape ft_fdc_driver=bpck-fdc,none,none,none
>         options bpck_fdc ft_fdc_base=0x378 ft_fdc_irq=7
>
> (This last line was suggested to me by
>         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I have no idea what the proper ft_fdc_base and irq are. I tried to find this

You can check it in your computer's bios setup. You can also compile ftape
with auto-detection. I'm not setting up any irqs etc. and it works.

>         I manually inserted ftape.o using insmod
> I then typed "insmod trakker.o" and got:
>         trakker.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

trakker.o is not a valid module for Ditto parallel port.
Read the documentation - bpck-fdc.o is the one.

> If I then "insmod bpck-fdc.o", the LCD screen goes blank, and I have to
> power cycle the system.

Check your parallel port settings in bios setup, look through M_CONFIG,
modify modules/insert file to satisfy you needs. I can show you my
configuration. I had the same problem with Ditto 2 weeks ago. It works now.
But... I still have a problem. It perfectly writes and read tapes under
Win95 but under linux I get write or read errors. I have changed 2 tapes
with no success...

>         Do I have the right I/O IRQ values?

Nobody knows. It's up to your hardware

>         Should I use a different version of ftape?

I don't thinks so.

>         Should I try building it into the kernel instead of modules?

No.

Piotr Szeptynski | GCM/O d- s++: a-- C BSL++++$ P+>++ L++>++++ E--- W+ N++
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  |     o-- K- w(--) O+ M V? PS-- PE Y? PGP->+ t 5 X+ R* tv
                 |     b+>++ DI? D+ G>++++ e(+)>+++ h!(*) r+>+++ y**>+++++
                              COFH - Cool Operator From Heaven

------------------------------

From: Andrejs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP RAID drivers
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 20:49:08 +0200

Is there any Drivers for HP SCSI controlers, or is there compatabilyti
with other drives

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Soundblaster Vibra16X and MIDI in/out
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 19:24:40 GMT

I'm running Redhat 5.0 with the 2.0.36 kernel upgrade.  I can't
seem to get the MIDI in/out port on my Soundblaster Vibra16X to
function.  I can get the board to play 8 and 16 bit audio samples
fine, and the mixer works fine also.

Has anyone seen MIDI in/out work for this board and kernel?

Stacey Campbell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www2.cruzio.com/~minpins/stacey.html

From: Roy Batty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Subject: Re: P55T2P4 and AMD K6-2-350
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:56:16 +0100

Hello Kurt,
I'm experiencing the same problems with exactly the same
setup (the only difference is that my board is rev. 3.0).
The best stable combination that I could find is
5x66 MHz = 330 MHz and BIOS settings at 70ns auto.
This sucks, because the CPU is supposed to run at 350 MHz
(or more), and the RAMs are definitely 60ns-chips.
When I try 60ns-auto in the BIOS (worked fine with the old
Pentium-166) the machine wont't boot.
If you find a better stable combination, please let me know.
- Roy

 In a world without fences and walls
 who needs gates and windows?
========================== [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Gary J Sanderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ugly Netscape fonts 2.
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 18:35:52 -0000

Please help!

When I'm using...

Netscape*fontList: -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-75-*-*-*-*-*

in my ~/.Xdefaults file to alter the appearance of the Netscape fonts, is it
still possible to configure it so that unread messages appear in 'Bold'
rather than 'Normal' as specified above. Its difficult for me to distinguish
between unread & read at the moment even if it's far better than the default
fonts that Netscape uses under Linux.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vic Herrera)
Subject: dialing with a phone card to isp
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 07:37:53 -0800

i am traveling right now and trying to use a phone
card on my ppp connection. redhat 5.1 megahertz 14.4
configuring ppp with netcfg in x.

as with all phone cards there is an extended numeric
sequence that has to be entered along with some
substantial wait time. i was tryin 800# 15 comma's pin
#  5 commas phone #. it gets throgh the first number
and everthing falls apart there. if i could get the
modem to dial without listening for a dialtone i would
be cool cuz i could just dial everthing except the
actual # to the isp. or maybe start ppp without
dialing. or figure out how to get this ridiculously
long dialing string to work.

*** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ***

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Oktay Istanbullu)
Subject: SSA devices and linux 2.2
Date: 11 Jan 1999 15:59:56 GMT

ssa is scsi-like standard
A ssa adapter can support hard disks and other devices as scsi adapters do.

Is a driver for ssa adapters existing for linux ?

------------------------------

From: "Cameron Spitzer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Lilo problems
Date: 11 Jan 1999 16:03:06 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Kostas Aboudolas  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The message I am getting when I am selecting Linux from
>the menu NT,NT VGA,Linux is a black screen and <LI>
>
>This is my lilo.conf:
>
>boot=/dev/hdc2
>image=/boot/vmlinux
>other=/dev/hda1
>        label=NT 4.0
>        table=/dev/hda
>
>When I am running sbin/lilo I get a message like this :
>< Warning : /dev/hdc2 is not on the first disk
>    Added Linux*
>    Added Nt 4.0 >

You have an old BIOS that can't read /dev/hdc at boot time.
Put your kernel and map on a floppy or /dev/hda
and LILO will work fine.

I am collecting new cases, to update LILO mini-HOWTO.
I don't use NT.  Would appreciate step by step instructions
from someone who's done it, how do you make an entry in
NT's boot menu that will launch a partition that has LILO on
its boot sector?  Will NT launch correctly from LILO, or
do you *have* to use the NT loader?  If LILO can launch NT,
which chain loader does it take?

Cameron

------------------------------

From: Kurt Watkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 07:39:19 -0600

  Send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] for more info.

==============5C96835F458853B664AE1215

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, Phil Houstoun wrote:

> Just a quick, subjective, summary of my experiences with this combo so
> far:
>
> P55T2P4 Rev. 3.1 BIOS 207-1
> 64Mb 60ns EDO
> 512Kb Cache (COAST 3.0)
> AMD-K6-2/350AFR, 2.2VCORE/3.3V I/O, A9847DPEW, Type=00, Fam=05, Mod=08,
> Step=0C
> BF2 pin shorted via 'wire in socket' method (thank you Kalle and Fisher)
>
> Voltage set to 2.2V
> BIOS settings at 60ns 'auto'
>

> Bus Speed    Multiplier    Effective Speed    Windows98        Linux
> (Kernel 2.0.35)
[snip unstable above 375, several combos]

> *Stable basically means it didn't crash on me while running the 'usual'
> applications, e.g. under Win98 - Excel, Internet Explorer, Unreal or
> Linux - X-Windows, xv, Netscape while up for a minimum of 4 hours.
> However, under Linux, there was no way I could complete a kernel compile
> without the infamous sig11 fault.
> If anyone has got a clean kernel compile with this configuration at any
> setting or has any ideas on what to play with next, I'd dearly love to
> hear from them. I played with DRAM settings in BIOS but to no avail.
> Tks.

You might not be able to clock above 375 :-( You don't say if you're disks
are EIDE or SCSI; if EIDE you might back off a little on the timing modes,
say 3 instead of 4. Maybe also bump up the voltage from 2.2v a bit (though
I think from posts here it looks as if later K6-2 overclock more easily
w/o voltage increase.)

Cheers,
K.

==============5C96835F458853B664AE1215

<HTML>
Just a quick, subjective, summary of my experiences with this combo so
far:

<P>P55T2P4 Rev. 3.1 BIOS&nbsp;207-1
<BR>64Mb 60ns EDO
<BR>512Kb Cache (COAST&nbsp;3.0)
<BR>AMD-K6-2/350AFR, 2.2VCORE/3.3V&nbsp;I/O, A9847DPEW, Type=00, Fam=05,
Mod=08, Step=0C
<BR>BF2 pin shorted via 'wire in socket' method (thank you Kalle and Fisher)
<BR>Voltage set to 2.2V
<BR>BIOS settings at 60ns 'auto'
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>Bus Speed&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Multiplier&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Effective
Speed&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Windows98&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Linux (Kernel 2.0.35)

<P>66Mhz&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
5.5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
363Mhz&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Boots + stable&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Boots +&nbsp;stable*
<BR>75Mhz&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
5.0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
375Mhz&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Boots +&nbsp;stable&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Boots +&nbsp;stable*
<BR>75Mhz&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
5.5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
412.5Mhz&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Boots
+&nbsp;unstable&nbsp;
Boots +&nbsp;unstable
<BR>83Mhz&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
4.5&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
373.5Mhz&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Boots
+&nbsp;stable&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Boots +&nbsp;stable*
<BR>83Mhz&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
5.0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
415Mhz&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Boots +&nbsp;unstable&nbsp; Boots +&nbsp;unstable

<P>*Stable basically means it didn't crash on me while running the 'usual'
applications, e.g. under Win98 - Excel, Internet Explorer, Unreal or Linux
- X-Windows, xv, Netscape while up for a minimum of 4 hours. However, under
Linux, there was no way I&nbsp;could complete a kernel compile without
the infamous sig11 fault.
<BR>If anyone has got a clean kernel compile with this configuration at
any setting or has any ideas on what to play with next, I'd dearly love
to hear from them. I played with DRAM settings in BIOS&nbsp;but to no avail.
Tks.
<PRE>--&nbsp;

Phil Houstoun&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Voice:
(613) 991-7173&nbsp;
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=======================================================================</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

From: "jay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: i960 RP/RD driver
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 19:37:09 GMT

Doesn't the intel i960 use the 82557/8 chipset still?  I haven't tried it
yet, but I think it would be worth a try.

jay

From: "jay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Multiple NIC Cards.. HELP!! <solution>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 19:43:31 GMT

Sorry, guys.  you all are only part right- the OS already sees the two
identical cards, but it's delaying the one because the kernel needs to be
told to init the other - to do this add the following statement to your
lilo.conf in etc/

append="ether=0,0,eth1"

that's it, dude.  e-mail me @ [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you have more problems- i
fought this for a couple months, but once you get it, it works great.

------------------------------

From: Patrick M. Geahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Canon BJC4400
Date: 11 Jan 1999 16:03:26 GMT

I read the Printing Howto at sunsite(or metalab, whatever it's called
now), and it seems to indicate that Canon printers, with one exception,
are supported very well under Linux.  Has anyone had direct experience
with the BJC4400/  i have the opportunity to buy one, and would like to
know if it would work better with my system than my Lexmark.  Thansk

          Patrick "I'm a graphical cheek ant" Geahan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   ICQ:3784715  http://www.csl.mtu.edu/~pmgeahan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Volckaert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster pci
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 09:48:11 -0500

I believe that Redhat 5.2 has built in sndconfig support for this card.  I
have an ensoniq audiopci (which is now the sound blaster card) and it works
great.  You could also patch your current kernel source and rebuild, but I
found installing 5.2 easier.

Jeff Volckaert

------------------------------

From: "K R Davies" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: "Cost effective" SCSI card.
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 20:21:53 GMT

I've had an Iwill Ultra Wide SCSI Adapter (SIDE 2935UW) for a while and I'd
like to transfer it into my linux (Redhat 5.1) box. Unfortunately the card
doesn't appear in Redhats list of cards which is displayed during install
and doesn't appear to be compatible with any of them. Is there any way I can
get this card working with Linux, and if so, does Linux support SCSI
mirroring?

TIA

Kenvyn Davies

From: "Gary Strength" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: XFree86_P9000
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:38:17 GMT

Hi yah,
    I'm building a Linux machine on an old 486 spare. I brought up Red Hat
5.1 with a mono card. After I figured out how to access my floppy and CDROM,
I picked up a color monitor and installed an Orchid P9000 card I had, since
it appeared in my Red Hat manual as supported. After going through
XFree86Config, X windows came up as a bunch of vertical stripes. I could
move a bright white line around with my mouse, but that was it. Back to the
manual- worked over config file, found screen and display, searched net for
more on P9000 and got things looking right. Better, but no cigar. Tried
XConfigurator; it reported XFree86_P9000 server not installed. Makes sense.
But, reading over Red Hat, I don't understand how to go about installing
only one part of a package. As I understant it now, I need XFree86_VGA and
XFree86_P9000 to match up with the VGA and SVGA display and screen setups in
config, but I don't find anything like XFree86_P9000 on my CDs. O.K., maybe
they're part of a different package. I tried rpm -qf, but it says
XFree86_P9000 not part of any package. Am I looking in the wrong place? Just
because XFree86_P9000 is listed in my Red Hat manual doesn't mean it's on
the CD?
    Figuring I may need to download these things separately, I looked into
www.rpm.org. This seemed to echo what's in my manual, which is pretty brief.
Also looked into xfree86.org, but didn't get any sense of how to find thses
pieces.
    So, now I'm wondering; am I drifting off course because I don't
understand something simpler earlier in the process, which is leading me to
ask the wrong questions? Where should I look to find a more in depth
explanation of RPM that will help me find and install the pieces I need?
    I will appreciate any help you can offer. I'm a broadcast and post
production engineer, so maybe I can offer electronics and video experience
in return.
    Although Linux can be frustrating, it's also very interesting. I think
this is going to be a very rewarding educational experience...if I live
through it!

------------------------------

From: James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP Kayak XA: make soundcard work?
Date: 11 Jan 1999 10:35:09 -0600

I have an HP Kayak XA-S, working ok with RedHat 5.1 so far.
I have to run development kernels in order to make the combination
Buslogic SCSI / AMD Ethernet card work, but it does.

I have had no luck with the soundcard, supposedly an Aztech.
I'd appreciate an idiot-proof recipe about how to set this up,
especially in the 2.2.0 kernels.

Another thing that bothers me is the transition to the new
Kernel Module loader.  What if you have two or more kernels in
lilo, but one needs kerneld while the other has kernel modules?
Wont the latter setup freak out on startup since kerneld will
be running?  And won't the former have problems with kerneld not
James
http://ssdd.conservatory.com

------------------------------

From: De Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: CRC error at boot time:  hardware related?
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:07:50 -0800

I have repeatably seen the following strangeness on my ThinkPad 760 EL
running
RedHat 4.2, during an attempt to upgrade the RAM.

I had purchased 2 32MB DIMMs which the vendor swears are the correct p/n

for this model ThinkPad.  They are official IBM DIMMs.

If I install the new DIMMs, whther 1 alone or in combination with each
other
or with the old low-density DIMM, then I consistently get two behaviour
changes:

    1) the BIOS correctly detects and sizes the memory

    2) Linux boot fails during uncompress, with a CRC error

I know that my linux boot image is not corrupt, because at any time
I can restore
the laptop to the original memory configuration, boot, and run with no
errors.

So my question for all you linux hackers out there is, What the *heck*
does the
memory configuration have to do with uncompressing the kernel?

If you have a clue, could you send mail?  The volume on Linux groups
makes it
hard for me to keep up  -- our server purges often.

de

:De Clarke, Software Engineer                     UCO/Lick Observatory,
UCSC:
:Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] | "There is no problem in computer science that
cannot:
:Web: www.ucolick.org |  be solved by another level of indirection"
--J.O. :