Linux-Hardware Digest #157, Volume #9            Mon, 11 Jan 99 22:13:34 EST

Contents:
  Re: Newbie Help: Diamond Stealth II G460? (Michael Green~)
  Re: Sound Blaster pci ("Chris Jones")
  Re: Problem with my graphic card (Morgan Wingfield)
  VGA 9x16 (Jan Bobrowski)
  Tape drive recommendations (Chris Abajian)
  Re: PLEASE STOP POSTING REPLIES TO ALL MY POSTS !!! ("Jürgen Exner")
  Is Suse 5.3 libc5 or glibcx? (Michael Green~)
  Re: 2.2.0-pre6 hoses the mouse ("J.L.M.")
  Anyone with an AIT tape drive... (John Brownlee)
  Re: Re: things I'd pay to have developed for Linux... (bill davidsen)
  Re: Drivers for Riva TNT (Paul E Larson)
  test ("Tesh")
  Re: test ("Tesh")
  Linux lock's up computer completly. (Erwin Jansen)
  US Robotics Modem (Frank Kuehnel)
  Re: recommend a sound card for Linux? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux lock's up computer completly. (Frank Sweetser)
  Gateway 5150 + Synaptics Touchpad -> 3 buttons? (Andrew Jaffe)
  psaux mouse device broken in 2.2.0pre6? (James)
  Looking for small LCD VGA monitor (Paul Hovnanian)
  Re: Soundcard - ESS 1868 (Ashok Aiyar)
  Re: 400MHz versus 350MHz... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Problem with my graphic card ("Dominique NOLD")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Green~)
Subject: Re: Newbie Help: Diamond Stealth II G460?
Date: 11 Jan 1999 23:35:06 GMT

Does Suse 5.3 come with the i740 module for the Diamond Stealth II G460? If not, then
where do you go for that module for Suse 5.3?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Yes you can use Diamond Stealth II G460 or any other Intel i740 graphic
: chipset with Linux. Redhat and another company had released the BINARY driver
: for this chipset because of Intel's copyright issues. In any case, you can
: download it from Redhat using glibc or old libc 5 version at
:
: ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/XBF
:
: or at mirror site in sunsite
:
: ftp://sunsite.utk.edu/pub/redhat/XBF
:
: Please read the README.i740 file for instruction on how to install it in
: RedHat 4.x and 5.x systems. If you are using Debian distribution 2.0, just
: download the driver and uncompress it into /usr/X11R6/bin and set permission
: 755 (ownership should be user root and group root). Edit /etc/X11/Xserver and
: change the word to the i740 X server's filename (this is how you change the X
: server using Debian, took a long time for it to sink in) Update xf86config as
: written in the readme and type xf86config. Just make sure you don't create
: any symbolic links to any X server because Debian security concerns. Hope
: this helps
:
: from Henry C. Yao
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
:
:
: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
:   Skavoovie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: > I have heard conflicting reports that linux can be configured to
: > work with the (worthless piece of junk) Diamond Stealth II G460.
: >
: > Has anyone done this or know if it is possible? Can anyone give
: > a newbie some help in getting X running under Redhat 5.2 with
: > this vid card?
: >
: > Thanks for any help!
: >
: > --Steven
: >
: >
:
: http://www.dejanews.com/       Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own

From: "Chris Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster pci
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 13:37:04 -0000

HI

Aegnor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>Is there adriver for the Sblive?
>where can i find it??

According to OSS, there will be soe driver support soon (but they dont
say when).

I am waiting to :-(

Chris

------------------------------

From: Morgan Wingfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with my graphic card
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 17:21:08 -0500

Dominique NOLD wrote:

> Hello, I have a Matrox Mystique G200. When Install RedHat 5.1 X86 does not
> find my graphic card. Where can I find driver for my grafic card and how
> cant I install it.
>
> Thanks.

I think the solution is to get the new Xfree86, not the one that came with
RH5.1.  (I had the same problem).

Good luck.

Morgan

------------------------------

From: Jan Bobrowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: VGA 9x16
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 18:22:47 +0100

I can't find standard (S)VGA 9x16 font in last kernel release. Why?
Maybe someone will add it...

http://wizard.ae.krakow.pl/~jb/font_9x16.tar.gz

(suggested resolution: 900x600)

JB

------------------------------

From: Chris Abajian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tape drive recommendations
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:32:08 -0800

Looking for recommendations for linux supported tape systems for backup
& large data file transfer.  I've had good results with DLT systems in
the past but I'm wondering if the consumer market hasn't produced
viable alternatives (i.e. cheaper formats) I should also consider.

What are the options for reliable, cheap, large and fast (suitable for
multi-gigabyte jobs)?  How good are the ditto drives?

--
+--------------------------------------+-------------------------------+
|                                      | Geospiza, Inc.                |

------------------------------

From: "Jürgen Exner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PLEASE STOP POSTING REPLIES TO ALL MY POSTS !!!
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:43:50 -0800

George Dau wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>"Jürgen Exner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>]Please excuse my ignorance but now I'm a bit confused.
>]
>]It was my understanding that newsgroups are for asking and offering help
and
>]for discussions. And if someone posts an article this implies that he
>]actually expects other people to reply, either with a suggestion how to
>]solve his problem or with a contribution to a discussion.
>
>I didn't understand the original post either.
>
>But not everything is for discussion. We used to have some nice, disc-space
>friendly, search-friendly, traditions in some groups. I'd like to see them
>considered again.

Well, this is getting off topic now, but anyway

>Basically the idea is:
>
>Post your question.
>People e-mail their responses to you only.

I do not second this statement, actually I strongly object to it.

An answer should always been posted (of course it must be on-topic, in so
far this posting is a bad example).
This is the only way to
- let other readers know that someone already wrote an answer
- let other people know what this answer is (yes, posting a summary by the
original poster is an excellent idea. Unfortunately it just doesn't work in
the real world).
- let other people with the same problem find the answer before they even
write abaout their problem, probably by using dejanews

A private email migth be considered a personal courtesy, but I won't bother
with it. Actually I know a couple of people why get pretty upset when they
receive dozens of private mails: "Do they think I'm too stupid to read the
newsgroup? My mailbox is flooding anyway. I don't need another ten dozen
copies of the same advice".

>You discuss differences between replies with the people privately using
e-mail.

Great idea for academic newsgroups, not so much for popular NGs with high
traffic.

>IMPORTANT: When you get a solution, you post a summary as a follow-up to
your
>original request.

Again, great idea, but just does not work in reality in popular NGs

jue
--
Jürgen Exner; microsoft.com, UID: jurgenex
Sorry for this anti-spam inconvenience

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Green~)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Is Suse 5.3 libc5 or glibcx?
Date: 11 Jan 1999 23:53:54 GMT

--

Is Suse 5.3 libc5 or glibcx based? I'm asking because I need to
download the correct XBF to support my graphics card (Diamond SII, G460)

------------------------------

From: "J.L.M." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.2.0-pre6 hoses the mouse
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 17:49:12 -0600

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Harish Pillay 9v1hp wrote:

> James -
>
> > Did you get any answers or acknowledgement of this?
> > Do you have a psaux mouse?
>
> No it is a serial mouse.  No acks yet.

I cannot get my ps2 mouse to wrok on 2.1.132 or 2.2.0-pre6, so far.
wroks fine on 2.1.122 !

You do not get the option to build ps/2 mouse as a module, since what release I wonder?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Brownlee)
Subject: Anyone with an AIT tape drive...
Date: 12 Jan 1999 00:37:37 GMT

        Howdy all, curious if anyone out there is using an AIT tape drive
with the plain-Jane st0 driver. I'm running around with Sony and I'd be real
interested in hearing from anyone who is successfully using AIT tape mechanisms
under any Linux flavor.

--
                                                        John

John Brownlee
Lunar and Planetary Lab
University of Arizona
jonnie @ lpl . arizona . edu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Re: things I'd pay to have developed for Linux...
Date: 11 Jan 1999 23:35:05 GMT

In article <77cu86$e1q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Peter Samuelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| [Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>]
| > >LVM.
| > Sorry my ignorance - but what's that?

| storage volumes on disks.  Key features (I refer to the AIX
| implementation here, about which I know the most):
|
|  - A volume group, which acts as a sort of meta-partition, if you
|    will, can comprise multiple physical disks.  These can also provide
|    redundancy not unlike RAID mirroring, as well as plain striping.
|    The sysadmin can add disks to an LV at will, and take them away.

You have mixed volume group (VG) and logical volume (LV) here. RAID-0/1
are done at the LV level, and you can't (so far as I know) add/delete
physical volumes to a striped LV. You can make/break mirrors, which is
how you mirror root, etc.

|  - Inside a VG you have logical volumes, which are allocated from the
|    VG like files in a filesystem.  Like files, these can be resized,
|    moved, copied, renamed, etc.  They can also be mirrored.  Each LV is
|    a block device.

Striped or mirrored, not both, at least up to 4.2.1 kernel.

|  - On an LV you mkfs a filesystem.  Since the LV is a block device this
|    works just like traditional partitions/slices, except that LV's are
|    so much easier to manipulate.

Like an md pseudo physical device.

|  - Some filesystems commonly in use with LVM's support resizing.  AIX's
|    JFS, for example, lets you grow it without unmounting.  This would
|    not be very useful with traditional disk partitions or slices, but
|    makes life much more fun for the sysadmin when the filesystem is on
|    a (resizable) LV.  Wish /home were 80 megs bigger?  No problem: have
|    the system allocate 20 more 4-meg "blocks" for /home's LV, assuming
|    the VG has that many available.  If not, first add another disk to
|    the VG....

Most people over partition their drives, IMHO. If you have only a single
drive, as most or at least many systems do, you gain mostly complexity
by having a bunch of partitions for the actual ext2fs data. There are
good reasons to partition backups, that's another topic. I see too many
personal systems with /home and / and /boot and /tmp, and... garbage.
Just because you understand techniques useful on large systems doesn't
mean you need them, or gain from them.

| And one more feature that can save a lot of headaches in some
| circumstances:
|
|  - Disks are recognized not by SCSI ID's or whatever but by a VG
|    signature.  LV's contain a certain amount of metadata as well, so
|    /etc/fstab is not really needed to figure out what partitions mean
|    what.

Which sadly cuts both ways. When that data is valid you can close and
export a VG, move the physical drive(s) of the VG to another machine and
connect with no need to play with tables. If it isn't valid for any
reason you run into various problems, the least of which is persistant
error messages about mission or duplicate physical volumes.

The AIX model is a good thing to understand, I'm not sure I want to do
things exactly that way. I could go on about how I do think it should be
done, but it's not relevant to this topic.

--
  bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
"Too soon we grow old, and too late we grow smart" -Arthur Godfrey

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul E Larson)
Subject: Re: Drivers for Riva TNT
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 18:57:49 GMT

In article <77d9r1$i2m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "J.L.M."
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Simone Piccardi  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Go to the any RedHat mirror and look inside the update/upgrade
>>directory; you must find XFree 3.3.3 that supports Riva TNT.
>>You need to download these rpm:
>
>Why can't you just upgrade the SVGA server?  Have the fonts really changed?
>Why the libs?

You can, I did, It works.

Paul

Get rid of the blahs to email me :}

------------------------------

From: "Tesh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: test
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 23:06:27 -0000

------------------------------

From: "Tesh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: test
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 23:13:00 -0000

test

------------------------------

From: Erwin Jansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Linux lock's up computer completly.
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 01:57:51 +0100

I seem to have a serious problem. Whenever I try to boot linux I
experience fatal lock-ups.
After the lock-up I need to turn of my computer in order to restart the
system. (reset switch
doesn't bring the system back to life).  Mostly the lock-ups occur just
during a forced check of my hd
 or during a compilation of the kernel. It even happened when I tried to
gzip -d a file. I once got
a stack dump during a check of the hd.

My system consists of:

Chaintech 5AGM2
Amd K6-2/300
64 MB/100 Dimm.

Greets,
Erwin.

------------------------------

From: Frank Kuehnel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: US Robotics Modem
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 19:56:00 -0500

Hi Folks,

I`m running Linux 2.0.36 and use an external 56k US Robotics modem.
With Minicom it does connect at some 50k speed, but I've some trouble
with the ppp connection. Though the ppp connection can be established
data transfers are incredible slow at 200bit/sec and netscape frequently

stalls. Does anybody know of this problem?

Frank Kuehnel

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: recommend a sound card for Linux?
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 19:43:34 GMT

I am also interested in a low priced sound card for linux...
one which is EASY to setup and configure.
(looks like find info on sound cards for linux is thougher
 than video cards :-(

here are some models advertised at a local computer show:
prices are from a number of flyers - often the actual table
price goes down some on some of these ad due to the competition :)
[prices are from jan 2-3 1999]

Yamaha chipset (ad - doesn't say which one) $10 usd
Yamaha 3d 719 $10 (i think same as above) (*)

Yamaha 64PCI chipset wavetable <$20
sb (sound blaster) 16Pnp (oem) < $30 ($23 I think)
sb "      "    vibra (is this the same as above??) $23
sb "      "    Awe64 OEM <$40
sb "      "    PCI 128 OEM < $50.
sb "      "    256 live pci $78 (retail package = $175)
sb             3d 16bit w/32 voice/pnp $22 (?same as sb 16pnp?)
sb             32bit pci $23 (*)

opti 931 w/wave table.
trident 3d/s3 3d w/wavetable $18
    (hmm, i thought trident only was associated with video)
procom ensoniq pci sound 32bit   $22
s3 pci w/32 voice - $22

geez - my head is spinning after inputting that!
lots of choices!

questions & recommendations:
1) which of the above SHOULD NOT be purchased for linux
   (based on support issues)
2) ISA vs PCI -> seems like PCI is preferred due to IRQ issues?
   correct? (can one determine what is using what IRQ under linux?)
3) the yamaha 3d 719 for $10 (isa) and sb 32bit PCI for $23
   look like the best in terms of price. Are they good picks?
   Or does someone see a better value? (*)
4) are the higher end cards even worth considering for a pure
   linux system? (in terms of support and value)

TIA
cj

From: Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux lock's up computer completly.
Date: 11 Jan 1999 20:06:28 -0500

Erwin Jansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I seem to have a serious problem. Whenever I try to boot linux I
> experience fatal lock-ups.  After the lock-up I need to turn of my
> computer in order to restart the system. (reset switch doesn't bring the
> system back to life).  Mostly the lock-ups occur just during a forced
> check of my hd or during a compilation of the kernel. It even happened
> when I tried to gzip -d a file. I once got a stack dump during a check of
> the hd.

sounds like flaky hardware, probably the memory or cpu.
http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net  | PGP key available
paramount.ind.wpi.edu RedHat 5.2 kernel 2.2.0pre5ac1 i586 | at public servers

------------------------------

From: Andrew Jaffe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Gateway 5150 + Synaptics Touchpad -> 3 buttons?
Date: 11 Jan 1999 18:05:28 -0800

Hi-

I have a Gateway 5150 with a builtin synaptics touchpad; this has a
middle button/rocker which is used for scrolling. Apparently, there's a
"zaxis" thing that can be done to make this work in the "third"
dimension, which I have no use for and can't seem to get to work anyway.

But what I'd really like is to be able to use the middle button as
Button2 in X (since 1 and 3 are far apart for this model). Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

--
Andrew Jaffe___________________________________________________________
Center for Particle Astrophysics                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: psaux mouse device broken in 2.2.0pre6?
Date: 11 Jan 1999 14:11:37 -0600

I have a ps2 mouse that works fine in 2.1.122 (and earlier others)
but this weekend I tried to upgrade to 2.2.0pre6.  I couldn't get
the mouse to work.  First thing I noticed:  The configuration does
NOT allow us to build the ps2 mouse driver as a module.
If you try to use /dev/mouse -> /dev/psaux, it complains "Operation
not supported by device".

When I boot 2.1.122, I get to load the module:
Module                  Size  Used by
psaux                   2356   1  (autoclean)

And it works great in gpm or X (even the wheel button works!)

I shouldn't have to change anything to get psaux support in 2.2.0pre6,
but it does not fly.

--
James
http://ssdd.conservatory.com

------------------------------

From: Paul Hovnanian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: sci.electronics,design
Subject: Looking for small LCD VGA monitor
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 12:15:29 -0800

I'm looking for a source for small (about) 3.5 x 4.5 inch color LCD
display. 640x480 (standard VGA) resolution and interface would be
desirable. So would a touch screen, although these can be added on
if not bundled.

The application I have in mind is a re-programmable control panel
for a consumer product based upon PC architecture where the primary
method of control will be a simple GUI representing something similar
to a stereo or VCR front panel.

Any leads on suppliers or manufacturers would be appreciated. Thanx.

--
   Paul Hovnanian     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a thumb.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ashok Aiyar)
Subject: Re: Soundcard - ESS 1868
Date: 12 Jan 1999 02:42:38 GMT

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 20:21:57 -0600,
    autodata ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>Correction: The card is an ESS 1868 (not 1828)
>
>autodata wrote:
>
>> Despite RTFM, I'm having a tough time getting my soundcard to work.
>>
>> I'm running RH 5.2 (Kernel 2.0.36) on a P-133. The PC has ...
>> - Trident TGUI9440 VGA PCI video card
>> - 3 serial ports (3F8/IRQ 4, 2F8/IRQ 3, Modem on 3E8/IRQ 5)
>> - 2 Parallel Ports (378/IRQ 7, 278/IRQ 5)
>> - 3Com 3C509 netcard (300/IRQ 10)
>>
>> I'm trying to add an ESS AudioDrive ES1828, with no luck. The PC's BIOS
>> detects the ESS card, and sndconfig sees it okay, but nothing works
>> (when
>> the automatic configuration failed, I tried every combination of manual
>> settings for the card).
>>
>> Making matters worse, when I shut down and restarted the box, eth0
>> couldn't
>> be found and my network was dead.
>>
>> Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome.

Have you considered spending $20 for an OSS/Linux sound module?  For
details take a look at "http://www.opensound.com"

Ashok
--
Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 400MHz versus 350MHz...
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 01:22:11 GMT

> Harry McGregor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Yes, the K6-2 400MHz uses the newer CXT core (or is it CTX...)  that
> > adds about 10% in speed.  for $50 extra, I say go with the 400MHz
> > part.
>
> FWIW, the K6-2/400 isn't the only K6-2 using the new core.  I'm
> sitting at a 333 with the new core right now.  Still, the value is
> there.
>
> robert

Curious, How would you know if your CPU uses the CTX Core? I just bought a
K6-2 350, bought just last week... OEM chip so no specs...

From: "Dominique NOLD" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem with my graphic card
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 21:55:43 +0100