Linux-Hardware Digest #178, Volume #9            Thu, 14 Jan 99 20:13:39 EST

Contents:
  Rio upload/manager for Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Xircom PC Card NICs and Linux (Mohd H Misnan)
  Re: fvwm2 to afterstep instead on startx ("PSchork")
  Re: Corel StrongArm boxes ("Keith G. Murphy")
  PPP Question ??? ("John")
  Re: dialing with a phone card to isp (Michael Humphries-Dolnick)
  Diamond A50 (I740) and X ("Rick")
  Re: need help on ISDN and RIVA TNT (Paul E Larson)
  Re: [Fwd: Will my new PC be able to run linux?] (Wolfgang Viechtbauer)
  Re: To ISA or not to ISA? (Donovan Baarda)
  Re: Teles PCI ISDN & Red Hat 5.2 - HELP!!! (Jos De Graeve)
  Re: All Linux Problems with Trident 3dImage 975 AGP Setup ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Mac zip support for intel linux? (Matteo Corti)
  Re: AMD K6-2/350 and a Giga MB ("George Reaves")
  linux for IBM PCServer ? (KHK)
  Re: need help: add ide HDD to scsi system --> lilo fail (Frank Schoenherr)
  Re: Boot failure (Andy Adams)
  LILO
  Re: HOWTO AGP ATI RAGE IIC and xwindows (Lars Oeschey)
  problem installing ES1371 on Redhat 5.2 (Russ Ferriday)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Rio upload/manager for Linux
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 06:02:54 GMT

Hey,

I am trying toget info for Diamond's Rio from the tech people,
I suggest a good old fashioned campaign to beg for software/info.

I would suggest sending mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED], that is as close to rio
as their various support addresses get.

If any one is interested, I am thinking about setting up an account on my
machine and start leaving my Rio hooked up.  Don't know if I really want to
risk hosing it though.

One thing to try is to trap loseose system calls.  I don't know if there is
anything like truss on winblows, but if there is some facility for trapping
system calls, you may be able to reverse engineer the upload from there.

I suspect there is some MIPSish command structure that needs to be sent to it.

Any way, start a massive mail writing campaign, I plan on cronning a mail so
they will get one every hour or so from me.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd H Misnan)
Subject: Re: Xircom PC Card NICs and Linux
Date: 14 Jan 1999 12:23:16 GMT

>"Ryan Langford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> I want to put linux on my laptop, and I am wondering if a Xircom CreditCard
>> 10/100 PC Card NIC will work.  While I am on the subject...   Is anyone out
>> the running Linux on a Toshiba Laptop?  If so, can you get X Windows to
>> work?  My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 4020 CDT, but I think all Toshiba
>> laptops use the Chips & Technology chipsets for their graphics.

I've Xircom 10/100 upgradable and Xircom CM56 modem working great on my
low cost notebook.

--
| Mohd H Misnan | [EMAIL PROTECTED] + [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |
|               | [EMAIL PROTECTED] + [EMAIL PROTECTED] |

------------------------------

From: "PSchork" <pschork at jps.net>
Subject: Re: fvwm2 to afterstep instead on startx
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 13:25:40 -0800

>From your home directory, modify (or create) .xinitrc
Then add or modify the line that looks something like...

exec afterstep

That should do it.

news:77ll0u$uot$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Keith G. Murphy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Corel StrongArm boxes
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 15:06:34 -0600

Frank Sweetser wrote:

> "Keith G. Murphy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[snip]

> > What kind of buses does it use, how does it rate compared to a newish
> > Pentium, what sort of compatibility issues might you run into on
> > upgrading, etc.?

[snip]
> as for compatability and upgrades.  hardware upgrades - none.  it's a
> sealed case, truly WYSIWYG.  software, i don't think it should be a
> problem.  it's a pretty stable platform (ie, not changing) so i don't think
> that there should be any issues upgrading to the latest software rev.

I guess you're not going to be finding many binary packages, though,
huh?

From: "John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux.isp,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: PPP Question ???
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 01:19:51 -0500

Hi guys i just got my a old box a pentium 166 with 64megs on it and i did a
fresh install
of the RH5.2 with a custom install and no problem there but noticed on a
friends box
on booting up his system i noticed he has the files that i don't get at boot
up the files are
 the
PPP etc,etc
TCPetc,etc
PPPetc,etc
PPP etc.etc

you know the ones you need for dial up
i've rebuild the kernal and and reinstalled the os over and over again from
scatch
with different way like chosing everything and all and still those modules
do not show
up at all on boot up

I'm fairly new to this os can you please give me some insight on this on why
those modules don't come up even though i tryed to compile them seperatly
after the normal install.

Thanks In Advance

John ---> aka vmax

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Humphries-Dolnick)
Subject: Re: dialing with a phone card to isp
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 20:37:57 GMT

In article <ZXom2.16865$n4.130497411@WReNphoon2> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vic
Herrera) writes:
> i am traveling right now and trying to use a phone
> card on my ppp connection. redhat 5.1 megahertz 14.4
> configuring ppp with netcfg in x.
>
> as with all phone cards there is an extended numeric
> sequence that has to be entered along with some
> substantial wait time. i was tryin 800# 15 comma's pin
> #  5 commas phone #. it gets throgh the first number
> and everthing falls apart there. if i could get the
> modem to dial without listening for a dialtone i would
> be cool cuz i could just dial everthing except the
> actual # to the isp. or maybe start ppp without
> dialing. or figure out how to get this ridiculously
> long dialing string to work.

There is an AT code to ignore dial tone;  ATX1 (or add X1 to the end of
your existing string...)

--
Michael Humphries-Dolnick
"If opinions are expressed in this communication,

------------------------------

From: "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Diamond A50 (I740) and X
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:58:56 -0500

Can anyone shed light on configuring a Diamond Video A50 Speedstar which is
based on the I740 chip?  The AGX drivers do not seem to work.  It is an 8Mb
board AGP in a PII.

I have RedHat 5.2.  Any assistance appreciated.   Thanks

Regards,
Rick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul E Larson)
Subject: Re: need help on ISDN and RIVA TNT
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 06:45:34 GMT

In article <OJyUoa2P#GA.191@upnetnews05>, "Don Stubbs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>For your RIVA TNT board, you need to upgrade to XFree86 3.3.3.  The SVGA
Or you can download and install the newer XSVGA driver over the original,
works with my Diamond V550 card.

Paul

>server in this
>release supports most all of the latest video boards.
>
>I have an STB Velocity 4400 running on RedHat 5.0 (soon to be 5.2).
>
>Don Stubbs
>

>Luis Perdigao wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>>Dear NG readers:
>>Where can I get the appropriate file ("driver") for RH5.2 and RIVA TNT? How
>>do I install it or use it on the system?
>>Also: I have an Octal PC Bit active ISDN board.
>>How do I configure it and get a ppp dialout connection to my ISP working?
>>If any1 would like to help, I'd be thankful.
>>Regards,
>>Luis Perdigao
>>
>>Ln**perdigao**@ip.pt
>>
>>-- remove asterisks (*) to reply --

Get rid of the blahs to email me :}

------------------------------

From: Wolfgang Viechtbauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Will my new PC be able to run linux?]
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 07:48:41 +0000

> DVD: 3rd generation DVD drive (32X cd access)

Not sure about DVD drives.

> Video card: Diamond Viper 550 (TNT 128bit 16mb AGP)

No problem. Just make sure that you use the new XFree (3.3.3).

> Modem: US Robotics 56k sportster fax/modem

Make sure it is NOT a sportster winmodem. Those winmodems do not run
under linux.

> Monitor: 19" Viewsonic PS790 .25 AG 1600x1280 88hz

Nice choice.

> 3D Wave 32 Full duplex sound card

Don't know. As long as it is ->really<- SB compatible, it should run. Is
it an ISA or PCI card?

--
Wolfgang Viechtbauer

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Baarda)
Subject: Re: To ISA or not to ISA?
Date: 14 Jan 1999 07:53:35 GMT

On 13 Jan 1999 11:01:19 -0700, Joe Pfeiffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse) writes:
>>
>> The only "mistake" when itroducing the PCI architecture is that no-one
>> took the opportunity to allocate some more interrupt lines we very often
>> run out of available IRQ lines.  So instead of the current 16 IRQ levels
>> we should have had at least 32 or maybe even 64 IRQ levels.
>
>I'm under the impression that PCI supports hardware shared
>interrupts.  If that is the case, then the bus supports plenty
>(of course, the software has to do the same!).

I could be wrong, but I believe PCI supports only 4 interrupts (A-D), but
they are shareable (level, rather than edge triggered). The primative
tangled mess called a PnP BIOS then manages to map each individual PCI
device's interrupt to one of the 16 traditional PC interrupts. All this so
that anchient 16 bit software can see IDE interrupts.

ABO
finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for more info, including pgp key

From: Jos De Graeve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Teles PCI ISDN & Red Hat 5.2 - HELP!!!
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 01:40:45 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm using Teles PCI ISDN Card and Red Hat Linux but still cannot
> configure the
> card.
> Anyone who have been sucessful setting up the card out there that can
> help me?

I have found that my teles PCI card was really a Tigerjet card.  So now,
i am using my card with the "netjet" driver (type=20) and it all works
very fine !!!!

Hope it helps,

Jos De Graeve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: All Linux Problems with Trident 3dImage 975 AGP Setup
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 07:36:25 GMT

There have been numerous posts on problems with using this card and X... To
try and simplify things... Suse works very closely with the X Consortium and
has X servers that work with cards that are newer...  IE Trident 3dimage 975,
Diamond Fire GL 1000 Pro etc etc... Check out there site at www.suse.com they
have a hardware database with specifics on each card.... I have configure X
to work with both cards using their servers...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matteo Corti)
Subject: Re: Mac zip support for intel linux?
Date: 14 Jan 1999 11:04:02 +0100

On 14 Jan 1999 09:35:15 GMT, LewisGourlay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Is there any program that will read/write mac zips or a recent kernel that
>supports mac filesystems?
>I'm not allowed to use PC format zips in our Uni macs.
>I have bought MacSee for dos and windows, but it is soooo slow and crashes
>quite frequently.
>Alternatively does anyone know whether macs will read any of the Linux
>formats? (I'd then have to find out whether I'd be allowed to put them in
>the drives, of course.)

Kernel 2.2.0 will support HFS (in exerimental way). The kernel is now in
Pre6.

                Matteo

From: "George Reaves" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMD K6-2/350 and a Giga MB
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:54:40 -0600

Peter,

The distribution is Redhat 5.0 with all applicable updates. Installation ran
fine on a i486/100 mhz box so I suspect it is hardware related with the new
hardware. Most likely the mother board from what I have read or maybe the
memory. I am not running NFS as all I have is dialup access to the net. I
suspect the internal modem might be the problem as the hangs always occure
when I am on line. But then it could be X as well. I just finished upgrading
to XFree86-3.3.3-1 so I will see if the problems continue.

Thanks
George

From: KHK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux for IBM PCServer ?
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 06:58:39 GMT

Hello everyone,

I have an IBM PC-Server 720 that I would love to run linux on it.

http://www5.pc.ibm.com/us/products.nsf/$wwwpartnumlookup/_86420EN

Hope this URL takes you to the spec.  If not, perhaps you can
search for "pc server 720" at www.ibm.com.

The problem is, it has "Up to six-way Symmetric Multiprocessing (SMP)
on 400MB/sec. Corollary C-bus II bus..." and I don't believe there
is a linux version that will allow me to take adavantage of the
architecture.  At best, I could use it as a single p200 server or
run NT on it as I do presently.

Does anyone know anything about this issue at all ?
Where would I start ?

Thanks in advance.

Kirby.

------------------------------

From: Frank Schoenherr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: need help: add ide HDD to scsi system --> lilo fail
Date: 14 Jan 1999 08:56:13 +0100

Frank Schoenherr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi all
>
> I have 2 scsi HDDs in my system a boot manager on /dev/sda, lilo and linux root
> at /dev/sdb1. works fine.
>
> now I add a 10GB ide HDD. it works also, if i tell my bios to boot scsi
> first. But when I add the boot manager to the ide drive, boot C, select
> linux from the BM, I get    "LI"  and nothing more.
>
> Any ideas what do to ??

I continued with my problem. reinstall lilo, give me a warning like :

"warning : may not be able to boot from HDD 82".

The root partition is on the 3rd HDD now. Is this the reason for ??
But if, where do the "LI" came from ??

Any comments ?

have a nice day

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      Berlin

------------------------------

From: Andy Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Boot failure
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 02:02:25 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am trying to install Linux on a 486dx 33.  I created a boot disk for
> LINUX and when I boot to it I get a boot failure.  My bios is pheonix
> A486 V 1.00.06.AC0.  does anyone have any idea if I have a bios
> incompatibility?  Also, does anyone know a www site that has a list of
> linux hardware compatability especially for my cd rom drive?
> Thanks

  I am assuming you mean a boot floppy.  What kind of error
do you get?  Do you get any messages before the error message?
Can you boot a DOS floppy (to be sure its not a hardware problem)?

If your cdrom is a standard ATAPI cdrom you should have no
problems and need no special drivers.

Hope this helps
-Andy

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LILO
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 03:23:05 -0500

I just spent a week trying to get LILO to work with my new 10 GB drive.
If your still having problems do the following.

1. Get LILO version 21 from sunsite /pub/Linux/system/boot/lilo/
Unzip it, make, copy *.b to /boot and replace your old lilo with the newly
built lilo (of course you should back up any files you are changing).
However this didn't help me.

2. Try the linear option and specifying the disk geometries in lilo.conf
However this didn't help me either.

3. LILO comes with a dos program called dparam.com, it uses the same BIOS
calls that LILO does to get the disk geometry and then prints it on the
screen.
This did help me.  My BIOS returns CHS = 63,0,609 for my 10 GB drive.
It's kinda difficult to use a drive with 0 heads :)  It divides the number
of cylinders by 32 to make it under 1024 and then multiplies the number of
heads by 32 to compensate.  Of course there are only 8 bits for the head
field so you end up with 0 heads instead of 512.

Solution:
1. put you 8 GB drive as hda, 10 GB drive as hdc
2. copy all of your /boot directory to a partition on hda entirely below
the 1024 boundary
3. run lilo, make sure it uses the new /boot directory on hda, and
install on the MBR of hda (however that might not matter, maybe you can
keep NT loader on the MBR).
4. You may also need to add the following kernel option:
hdc=C,H,S where C,H,S is real, physical drive geometry
I needed to do this because the kernel would hang when probing the 10 GB
drive when it wasn't the master on the primary IDE.  I don't know why it
worked for primary, master but not the others.

Here's my lilo.conf
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.0.36-0.7
        label=linux
        append="hdc=19560,16,63"
        root=/dev/hdc2
        read-only
other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos
        table=/dev/hda

Hope this helps.

Jerome

------------------------------

From: Lars Oeschey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HOWTO AGP ATI RAGE IIC and xwindows
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:24:56 +0100

does it work in high-color modes? if yes, could you post/mail your devices
section please?

Lars

Dave Astels wrote:

> Christophe MICHEL wrote:
> >
> > hello everybody
> > ----------------------
> >
> >     Unfortunately, I can't execute Xwindows with my brand new AGP rage IIC
> > (ATI) videocard, during redhat installation, i stipulated to install MACH64
> > server but system freezes at startx (or at least, it seems that screen
> > becomes black and nothing else happens).
> >
> >     Please help me for running X on AGP video
> >
> >     I am running on redhat 5.1, equipped with X11R6 release 3.3.2
> > motherboard: Iwill XA100+
> > processor: AMD K62 350 mhz
>
> I had the same thing happen with Redhat 5.2 & XF86 3.3.2.  I got the
> RPMS for 3.3.3 from ftp.redhat.com/.../upgrades/5.2 and that did it.. no
> problems now.
>
> hope it works for you.
>
> Dave
> --
> Dave Astels
> Software Artist
> Saorsa Development

    Lars Oeschey - Saturn & Media Markt Gesellschaft fuer
Informationsverarbeitung mbH
                Projektleitung Management Systeme / Internet Services
                         mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

  "I am William H. Gates of Borg, /sbin/LILO is futile, youre MBR will be
assimilated!"

------------------------------

From: Russ Ferriday <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problem installing ES1371 on Redhat 5.2
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 01:11:32 -0800

Does anyone know what's going on here. I'm sure someone's crossed this
bridge already.

hardware : Soyo Motherboard with K62-350

as root...
sndconfig does PnP probe and finds my ES1371...
then it tries to play a sample...
but says "Unable To Play Audio"...
  sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp/': Operation not supported
  by device.
it then says Autoconfig failed...
Manual config offers me the same card selected, tries to play sample...
same error message as above.

Is the problem with something other than the 1371 setup? Like
/dev/dsp?

[root@boyo /root]# ls -al /dev/dsp
crw-rw--w-   1 root   sys   14,   3  May 5 1998 /dev/dsp

Suggestions appreciated!

-- r.

Russ Ferriday, Influence, Inc.
http://www.topia.com/influence/
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED], tel:(805) 593 3059, cell:(805) 235 4004
USMail: PO Box 3855, San Luis Obispo, CA 93403