Linux-Hardware Digest #184, Volume #9            Fri, 15 Jan 99 17:13:42 EST

Contents:
  Serial speeds higher than 115200 bps (Mark Baker)
  fvwm2 to afterstep instead on startx (Michael G Lowe)
  PCMCIA problems ("PSchork")
  Total newbie - PLEASE HELP! (Gino Cerro)
  60 % OFF Retail on Quality Watches - Distributor and Sample Order Avaiable
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Digiboard C/X Host Adapter (DCI)
  Re: SCSI, RAID controllers, Linux. . . (Gary Momarison)
  Re: modem part number needed!! help! (Rob Clark)
  lpr and "unknown printer" problems... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Tablet Drivers (Bruce Stephens)
  Re: kernel: lp1 at 0x0378, (polling) ("Ronald BAL")
  Re: What does the command     who ¦ sort+4    do? (Steven M. Gallo)
  RH52 Linux/SPARC: h/d boot problem (Tim Nimmo)
  Re: Total newbie - PLEASE HELP! (Gino Cerro)
  Re: Corel StrongArm boxes (Frank Sweetser)
  DELL 486/220 MB/4 MB/Ethernet Card/No Cd ("Faust")
  Re: Has anybody got a driver of Future Domain TMC-850M ? (Pam Kelly)
  Re: fvwm2 to afterstep instead on startx (Keith Ellul)
  Re: Linux on Pentium Pro? (Andreas Bombe)
  Experience with ASL Workstations? (Ward Harold)
  Compaq Deskpro XL & NetFlex NIC (Chad Stewart)
  Re: emachine 300c Cyrix - Any Red Hat 5.2 Success? (Jae Woo Lee)
  Re: How to look for a network card (Yidao Cai)
  Digiboard PC/Xe and rehat 5.0 ("Michael Fields")
  Re: K6-2 300 linux boot failure; similar prob ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Windows only Printer with Linux ?? ("Niels Christoffers")

From: Mark Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Serial speeds higher than 115200 bps
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 11:48:52 +0000

I have an isdn line which allows data throughput at 64kbps or 128kbps
uncompressed. I also have a TA and high speed serial card in my Linux box which
both talk at up to 460Kbps.

Problem is how to get linux to talk over 115200bps. I tried altering serial.c
but it appears that the speed limitation might be deeper in the kernel code or
libC.

How do I get higher speeds (apart from using Win95 - :-((((((( )? It is a shame
to have the bandwidth and to be unable to use it.

Regards.  Mark Baker

NB. Remove 'REMOVE' to send mail.

--
"One World, One Web, One Program" - Microsoft slogan
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuehrer" - Adolf Hitler

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael G Lowe)
Subject: fvwm2 to afterstep instead on startx
Date: 14 Jan 1999 20:45:18 GMT

I wish to have Afterstep load instead of Fvwm2 when I type
startx at my prompt. I am given the ability to switch to each
other but am unable to locate the doc that would clue me in
to setting a default window manager on startx.

-Michael

--
Michael G. Lowe                   |   US Mail:  123-B University Village
Student Consultant                |             Ames, Iowa 50010-8892
                                  |             USA
Phone:  (515) 292-0834            |  Internet:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "PSchork" <pschork at jps.net>
Subject: PCMCIA problems
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 13:18:08 -0800

Ok, so I installed RH 5.1 with PCMCIA support.  However, it doesn't seem to
load the PCMCIA module when booting up. When I run lsmod, PCMCIA is not
included. I have read that RH 5.1 does not necessarily activate PCMCIA
support as default.  Any help on activating?

From: Gino Cerro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc,comp.protocols.ppp
Subject: Total newbie - PLEASE HELP!
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:14:24 -0500

I am totally new to Linux and have a few questions:

    1. Can I install Linux on a system with Win98?
            - I have a 1.6 gig HDD empty and would like to install Linux on
it, I have a 3.5 gig HDD and have all my Win98 stuff on it. I want to install
Linux and have the option of which OS to boot. I need Linux for a programming
class but need Win98 for everything else. I have an AMD k6-2 (350 MHz) CPU,
and all IDE disk drives.

    2. Is Linux the same as UNIX? (in terms of commands?)

Please include a private e-mail along with responses ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: 60 % OFF Retail on Quality Watches - Distributor and Sample Order Avaiable
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 03:47:31 PST

  Seeking Distributor WORLDWIDE and Sample Orders Avaiable on our UNIDIN
high grade watches made with SWISS ETA 2834-2 calibers ( movements) , 60%
OFF retail price is offered directly from our FACTORY.  Five years factory warranty
on all watches we sell to you , we even cover your shipping for repairing on our
durable watches. We are very serious on your order directly from our factory and
be our distibutor WORLDWIDE.

We are a member of NAWCC

See more detail on http://www.unidin.pyar.com

Sincerely yours,

Wayne

------------------------------

From: DCI <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Digiboard C/X Host Adapter
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 12:12:59 -0700

Bob,
Is this board a PC/Xe or Xem?  If not it could be a Legacy in the old Digi.
What is the part number?

Linda

------------------------------

From: Gary Momarison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: SCSI, RAID controllers, Linux. . .
Date: 15 Jan 1999 11:37:02 -0800

Norvell Spearman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

There's some resources listed in Gary's Encyclopedia at

http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/raid.html

including a great page at linas.org.

I don't see the 4040, but it looks like the DPT HW is (was?)
conforming to a kind of standard, so new HW may work with
old SW. ???

--
Look for Linux info at http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml and in
Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

------------------------------

Subject: Re: modem part number needed!! help!
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 19:40:07 GMT

    http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: lpr and "unknown printer" problems...
Date: 15 Jan 1999 19:43:04 GMT

Using Debian 2.0 and lpr (why on earth doesn't Debian have an lpr package?)

I have a normal /etc/printcap:

lp|bj|bjc4400:\

:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
:mx#0:\
:lp=/dev/lp1:\
:sh:

(Yes, there should be tabs on those, but lynx is being screwy).

I have run lpd from my init scripts.

lpc yields no output with the status command.

The printer works fine with cat xxx > /dev/lp1 and with ghostscript.

Running lpr yields "lpr: lp: unkown printer".

Yes, there is a /var/spool/lpd and /var/spool/lpd/lp and lpd.lock in /var/spool/lpd.

Any suggestions?

------------------------------

From: Bruce Stephens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tablet Drivers
Date: 14 Jan 1999 20:22:28 +0000

Damyan Pepper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Does anyone know of any resources for graphics tablets under Linux /
> Xfree86?

Of course.  Did you look at the documentation that came with XFree86?
Do a search for "tablet and XInput" or something in dejanews.

I've got a Wacom Intuos, and the basic features work.  Gimp-1.1
provides better support for this than Gimp-1.0 did.

------------------------------

From: "Ronald BAL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernel: lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 22:40:29 +0100

>My Red Hat Linux 5.2 system (2.0.36) has suddenly started printing the
>following message every few seconds:
>
> kernel: lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)

Had this evening the problem for the second time after trying to send a
man-file to the printer. It sends a file named seq in the spool directory
which can't be removed with lprm!  Emptying the printqueue alone didn't
work. You have to remove all files in /var/spool/lp0 and to reboot then.
Good Luck !

ronald

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steven M. Gallo)
Subject: Re: What does the command     who ¦ sort+4    do?
Date: 14 Jan 1999 21:31:35 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Rachel  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi - What does the command     who ¦ sort+4    do?
>
>Thanks.

Sorts the output of the who command on the 5th column (the time).

Steve

------------------------------

From: Tim Nimmo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH52 Linux/SPARC: h/d boot problem
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 12:26:07 -0700

I have installed RH52 Linux/SPARC on a Sun SPARCServer 20 (2 cpu) via
NFS (from boot floppy) and installed everything as I would on a normal
i386 box.

Nothing unusual occured during the install. I elected to install SILO
and did not add any SILO options.

Upon booting the PROM (Rev 2.22) failed to load the o/s with the
following message.

{}
Boot device: /iommu/sbus/espdma/@f, 400000/esp@f,800000/sd@3,0:b File
and args:
The file loaded does not appear to be executable.
{}

I have searched news and redhat and nothing really useful came up.
Anyone have an idea what this might be?

Thank you, Tim...

------------------------------

From: Gino Cerro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: Total newbie - PLEASE HELP!
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 15:02:04 -0500

Thanks for the info. What do mean by your second comment?

"2 - Yes, but I think that the "flavor" tends to be more BSD-like."

From: Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Corel StrongArm boxes
Date: 14 Jan 1999 16:26:12 -0500

"Keith G. Murphy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Frank Sweetser wrote:
> >
> > "Keith G. Murphy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> [snip]
> >
> > > What kind of buses does it use, how does it rate compared to a newish
> > > Pentium, what sort of compatibility issues might you run into on
> > > upgrading, etc.?
> >
> [snip]
> > as for compatability and upgrades.  hardware upgrades - none.  it's a
> > sealed case, truly WYSIWYG.  software, i don't think it should be a
> > problem.  it's a pretty stable platform (ie, not changing) so i don't think
> > that there should be any issues upgrading to the latest software rev.
> >
> I guess you're not going to be finding many binary packages, though,
> huh?

probably not.  luckily they're working with redhat to make the netwinders a
supported platform, so that should guarantee at least 99% of redhat
availible - a prett respectable start.  they've also stated they're
commited to porting their entire product line over to the netwinder via
extensive contributions to wine.  hopefully other commercial vendors
(netscape!) will port over and fill in the gap (not that i can think of any
critical stuff that would be missing if netscape ported, offhand...)

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net  | PGP key available
paramount.ind.wpi.edu RedHat 5.2 kernel 2.2.0pre5ac1 i586 | at public servers

------------------------------

From: "Faust" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DELL 486/220 MB/4 MB/Ethernet Card/No Cd
Date: 14 Jan 1999 22:06:44 GMT

This is a machine that I picked up for next to nothing. It presently has Win
3.1 and MS Office 4.2 installed.

What could I do with Linux? I'm mainly interested in word processing.

I've been running Linux more and more on my main PC at home, but I would
like to set up the 486 with some type of Linux to show the kids at school
that MS/Apple are not the only things out there. I presently have 3 Macs and
1 newer IBM (connected to school network) in my classroom. I could probably
free up enough space to load Linux on the schools computer, but I have a
feeling they would not approve... Hmmmm....

I attempted to increase the RAM in the 486, but it went haywire with the EDO
SIMMS that I had lying around the house. From what I've read, X is not
possible in 4 MEGS. If that is the case, I will need to find compatible  RAM
first. Also, how do I go about installing Linux without a CD? I've seen
posts about parallel connections. What do I need to do to accomplish this. I
have never networked either of the machines before.

On my main machine I run RH 5.2, Star Office, WindowMaker, and WP 8 (for
now). With only 6 months Linux experience, I am impressed. I still have to
boot to Windows to surf the Web, but I now create most of my work in Linux.

Steve

---breaking the chains

------------------------------

From: Pam Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Has anybody got a driver of Future Domain TMC-850M ?
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 08:42:12 +0000

Pam Kelly wrote:

> or can I use something else ?

Apologies, I gather it's seagate.c

------------------------------

From: Keith Ellul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: fvwm2 to afterstep instead on startx
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 17:33:36 -0500

On 14 Jan 1999, Michael G Lowe wrote:

> I wish to have Afterstep load instead of Fvwm2 when I type
> startx at my prompt. I am given the ability to switch to each
> other but am unable to locate the doc that would clue me in
> to setting a default window manager on startx.

The man page for "startx" mentions the ~/.xinitrc file (for user-specific
preferences) or the xinitrc file in the xinit library directory for
global preferences (mine is in /var/X11R6/lib/xinit/xinitrc).  I think
that this is what you want.

(The last line in the file is probably something like 'exec fvwm2'
and that is what you want to change...)

-Keith!

Keith Ellul              4th Year Pure Math / Computer Science
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       University of Waterloo

From: Andreas Bombe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on Pentium Pro?
Date: 14 Jan 1999 20:28:37 +0100

Jim Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Also, will Linux run on a plain dual Pentium machine? If so, does the the
> cpu have to be Pentium, or can you dual an AMD?

It will run on a dual Pentium machine, but you can't build SMP machines
with non-Intel processors as there is no mainboard out there that
supports it.  The reason is that all mbs support the Intel APICs for
SMP which AMD cannot because of legal reasons.  AMD has created OpenPIC
(? not sure if this is the right name) and builds it into their CPUs,
but no available mb supports that.

--
Andreas E. Bombe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://home.pages.de/~andreas.bombe/

PGP 1024bit ID:0x886663c9 fingerprint: 30EC0973847B5583 C47A91D99DC54BB0
    2048bit ID:0xF62D5CC1 fingerprint: 136BBC1536B8B77A 200558E86FAAF8ED

------------------------------

From: Ward Harold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Experience with ASL Workstations?
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 13:13:52 -0600

I want to buy a preconfigured Linux system; yes, I'm lazy and inept when
it comes to hardware stuff. I've heard good things about VA Research.
However, in the course of my shopping around I discovered that for a
comparable box, (PII, 128Mb, 2 SCSI 4.5Gb disks, etc), the ASL
Workstations price is about $500 lower than VA Research. Does anyone
have, direct or indirect, good, bad, or otherwise, experience with ASL
as a vendor? If so I'd love to hear it before I plunk my money down.

Thanks ... WkH

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Stewart)
Subject: Compaq Deskpro XL & NetFlex NIC
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 21:23:09 GMT

I've picked up an old Compaq Deskpro XL 466.  I want to use this a
firewall box.  I've put on the latest SoftPaq's, etc. for it, Compaq
Diags reports the nic as a NetFlex-L Enet, using IRQ 5.

I looking for help in getting Linux to see the NIC.  I'm hoping that
the 'not listed = not supported' option on Redhat's page does not
apply. :)

I saw a similar question, and someone had suggested getting movepci
(sp15xx) from Compaq, but I could not find that to dl and try.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Chad

From: Jae Woo Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: emachine 300c Cyrix - Any Red Hat 5.2 Success?
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 16:18:20 -0500

One thing I know from reading its spec is that it comes with Winmodem.
So at least that won't work.

-- jae

------------------------------

From: Yidao Cai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to look for a network card
Date: 15 Jan 1999 15:25:11 -0600

Oded Arbel wrote:
Did you compile your kernel with NE2000 support? Note in newer kernels, the
questions asked was not NE2000, but the chip it uses. I don't remember which
one, but you can find out, probably in Kernel Howto.

cai

------------------------------

From: "Michael Fields" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Digiboard PC/Xe and rehat 5.0
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 14:21:25 -0600

I am having ttrouble getting a digiboard PC/Xe to work with redhat version
5.0.
I am in the middle of upgrading my system from a slackware version with
linux kernel 2.0.30 to Redhat ver 5.0 (linux kernel 2.0.32) . The board
works well in the slackware on the same machine. Everything seems to be
configured the same but so far the board fails to be even recognized by the
kernel (in fact there are absolutely no kernel messages regarding it.) the
source code of the drviers between the to systems are the same ( i ran diff
on them) and it seems to compile fine. Any ideas???

Michael Fields

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: K6-2 300 linux boot failure; similar prob
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 22:41:28 GMT

> : I have a P150 system with a PcChips M572 motherboard which supports
> : CPU's up to 300 MHz.
> : I bought an AMD K6-2 300 CPU and planned to replace the P150 with this
> : chip, however, I cannot boot Linux with this chip installed.  With a DOS
> : floppy in the drive it boots just fine, but with a Linux floppy or linux
> : on the hard disk the machine hangs after LILO tries to load the kernel.
> : I've flashed the latest BIOS, and the CPU is properly recognized as a 2.2
> : volt CPU running at 4.5 x 66 MHz.  DOS boots just fine, but linux hangs.
> : If I return the P150 to the machine, linux will boot.
> : I've tried disabling both the internal and external cache's, but this has
> : no effect.  Underclocking the CPU also has no effect.  I tried the same
> : timing as the Pentium (2.5 x 60) but it hangs in the same way.
> : Replacing the 10ns SDRAM with 60ns EDO RAM does allow the machine to start
> : the boot process, but the system usually hangs at
> : "Checking hlt instruction...".
> : Sometimes it crashes with a kernel panic instead.  It has never finished
> : booting the kernel entirely.
> : Can anyone help me figure out how to boot this chip in this motherboard?

over the summer i built a new machine with a k6-2 266 on a zida tx98-3d
mboard, which at that time could boot into linux (using loadlin in my
config.sys) without a problem.

i then got to school, and at the same time swapped memory (from EDO to
SDRAM), overclocked the chip to 300 and then tried to get the modem(pnp) to
work. it was quite a fun day of bios configs, i assure you.

anyway, everything worked fine the first time, it booted up and i was happy.
later that day i rebooted into win95 and then shut the comptuer down.  in the
morning, when i tried to get into linux, loadlin came up and when it tried to
load the kernel (before it was uncompressed) my machine hung.  trying to boot
from a floppy also resulted in the same problem. (and no, dropping the chip
speed doesn't fix the problem :)

if i boot into windows, drop to dos mode, then use loadlin everything works
fine (even when overclocked). And whenever i play around in the bios, and
save the settings, the machine will boot.  only after going into windows 95
and rebooting or shutting down does the problem arise.  if i setup the bios
to boot from cdrom first, then boot off of a linux cd, then reboot without
the cd everything is fine, but again this is after i've re-saved the bios
settings. another way to get it to always boot is to disable the pnp modem in
the bios.

it seems to me to be a pnp problem with my modem and possibly the drive
controller (? i'm guessing here..) such that when win95 boots, it correctly
fixes whatever the problem is, but when it is shutdown, it leaves the bios
pnp settings in a confused state, such that linux can no longer boot.
however, once the bios has been re-saved everything is fine.

i'd be happy with my conclusion, but i keep seeing similar problems on the net
with k6 only chips, so i can't help but shake the feeling it might have
something to do with the processor.

i don't have the funds to buy a new mboard (thats why i got a cheep one the
first time) and for now i just avoid going into windows (which doesn't make
my roommate (an MS-intern) very happy, but i don't mind).  anyway, if anyone
knows what might be wrong, please email me.

thanks
-john

From: "Niels Christoffers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Windows only Printer with Linux ??
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 23:27:16 +0100

Recently I bought a HP DeskJet 710C. But this is a Windows-Only-Printer.
Apearently there must be a way to use it also on a Linux-System. Who can
give me some hints?

At least I need to print some ASCII signs (listings etc.)

Thanks
Niels