From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Esmail Bonakdarian)
Subject: Re: Drivers for Riva TNT
Date: 17 Jan 1999 02:40:28 GMT

Paul E Larson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> In article <77d9r1$i2m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "J.L.M."
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >Simone Piccardi  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>Go to the any RedHat mirror and look inside the update/upgrade
> >>directory; you must find XFree 3.3.3 that supports Riva TNT.
> >>You need to download these rpm:
> >
> >Why can't you just upgrade the SVGA server?  Have the fonts really changed?
> >Why the libs?
> >>
> You can, I did, It works.

Paul (or anyone)

does that mean you just downloaded this rpm?

XFree86-SVGA-3.3.3-1.i386.rpm

I've got RH5.1, it came with XFree86-3.3.2-8 .. so I should be fine
wiht just that one rpm right?

(This would be great, because I only have a 14.4 connection to the net)

Esmail

--
----
Esmail Bonakdarian  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -  http://www.cs.uiowa.edu/~bonak

------------------------------

From: "Wayne Huang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help: RH5.2 install can't find AHA1505 (aka 152x)
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 21:22:10 -0500

A clarification.  The card is actually AVA-1502, not
1505 as I thought.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alastair)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.questions,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: My partition choice
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 00:33:20 GMT

Ilya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'd like to know if this will work pretty well for a personal workstation
>and if I can improve this setup in any way. Redhat 5.2, 9.1GB hard drive.
>
>So far, I am thinking about this partition setup.  I will assume that the
>real capacity is about 90% of the pre-formatted 9.1GB capacity.
>
>/swap    512  MB
>/tmp     350  MB
>/usr     4096 MB
>/var     1648 MB
>/home    1024 MB
>/        512  MB
>/proc    48   MB

Who knows? What's the machine going to be used for? How much RAM? etc.

BTW - you need a partition for the proc filesystem. It doesn't
really use any space.

--

Alastair
work  : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: John Dunlap <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Linux and IDE (ATA) Hard Drives > 8.4 GB
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 17:46:34 -0800

Samuel Greenfeld wrote:

> Does Linux Support Extended Addressing (for large drives) on the IDE
> Bus, and if so, in what kernels?   The size limit the IDE Bus can
> support via the normal IDE protocol is about 8.4 GB.
>
>    MS 95 & 98 support large (> 8.4 GB) drives if the BIOS supports it
> (although many don't).   NT supports them regardless of the BIOS as long
> as Service pack 3 is installed.   As my hard disk died, I was thinking
> of replacing it with a larger one.   But I don't want to buy one that is
> so large I can't use all of it...
>
>    For more information on this topic, you might want to visit a HD
> manufacturer's website, choose a large IDE hard disk's specs, and see
> the notes they have on using large IDE drives.
>
> ----
> Samuel Greenfeld
> Member of rulug (Rowan University Linux Users Group)

I am running a 10.1 GB EIDE Western Digital drive,
which reports in dmsg:
hdd: WDC AC310100B, 8063MB w/512kB Cache, CHS=16383/16/63
(It reports that it's only 8.063 GB).

I set it up with linux fdisk:
Disk /dev/hdd: 32 heads, 63 sectors, 8191 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2016 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdd1            1        1     4912  4951264+  83  Linux native
/dev/hdd2         4096     4913     9825  4952304   83  Linux native

I figured this out by looking up the number of sectors in
the www page for the drive:
User Sectors Per Drive:  19,807,200
Then, fiddling around I found that 9825 * 63 * 32 == 19,807,200
So, using fdisk, I set the heads to 32 and sectors to 63
and the start and end cylinder values as above.
Note that the fdisk Begin column is wrong.
But the beast works fine: I filled each partition and nothing
broke.  Been working for about a month now.

--
John Dunlap                           University of Washington
Senior Electrical Engineer            Applied Physics Laboratory

------------------------------

From: Helgonet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SB16 Problems
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 03:35:02 +0100

Hi !

I've been trying for hours, but I just can't get my sb 16 pnp card to
work..
I've compiled the kernel thousands of times and tried to pnpdump to
isapnp.conf
and then commentet out what I thought was right..
(checked in win 95 what irq and dma's etc I had....)
I have compiled my soundcard as modules, so it should work, but it
don't..
can't read /dev/sndstat with cat nor acces /dev/dsp (with mpg123)....
I run slack 3.6.....
Have been reading the sound howto, but it doesn't help..
and can't find the sb 16 mini howto...
plz help me B4 I go crazy!

Danne

------------------------------

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux lock's up computer completly.
Date: 14 Jan 1999 22:25:28 -0500

Is there a way to test for bad memory, and mark it as unusable?

--
David Steuber
http://www.david-steuber.com

"Hackers penetrate and ravage delicate, private, and publicly owned
computer systems, infecting them with viruses and stealing materials
for their own ends.  These people, they're, they're  terrorists."

-- Secret Service Agent Richard Gill

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 19:43:09 -0500
From: Dwight Huffman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printers for OS/2 and Linux

One other thought:  you could contact Indelible Blue (at
www.indelible-blue.com) with your question.  They are in the business of
providing hardware and software for OS/2 and are also now selling
Linux.  They do sell printers.  I'd think that they would be able to
answer your question if anyone can.

Best, Dwight Huffman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sean Harper)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.os.networking,[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Netgear FA310TX and Redhat 5.2, tulip installation (#2)
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 21:02:57 -0600

the tulip chipset is supported.  I have that very card working in my
machine at work.  Simply recompile your kernel with the tulip chipset
included or as a module then made sure you depmod and insmod (unless you
are using kerneld in which case just make sure the modules.conf is right).
Sean

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Martin Schultz

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Cochran)
Subject: Re: Tape drive recommendations
Date: 11 Jan 1999 23:56:16 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Raymond Lillard  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Yan Seiner wrote:
>> I am looking for a tape drive with at least 10GB uncompressed.  Speed is
>> not really an issue as long as it can back up and verify 10GB in 4-6
>> hours or less.
>
>I have been using SCSI 4mm DAT for several years.  If you can cut your
>requirement to space 8GB, you could get the HP-1599 for around US$800.
>Both Sony and HP support the newer 24GB format (DDS-3 I think) for
>somewhat heavier bread.

DDS-2 is 4GB uncompressed and with an assumed compression ration of 2:1
the advertised size is 8GB. DDS-3 is 12G uncompressed and 24G with
an assumed compression of 2:1.

Regards,
John Cochran

------------------------------

From: "Eugene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCI128
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 23:10:27 -0500

what happens when you do "modprobe sound" ? try playing some wavs or mp3s

------------------------------

From: John Mock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.modems,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Winmodem or no??
Date: 16 Jan 1999 20:14:23 -0800

    General comment:

    PCI Modem == Winmodem.

    If anyone has a counterindication to this rule, I'd love to hear it.

Aren't there PCI slots on most PowerPCs?  So if it's Apple compatable, then
it probably won't be a LoseModem.  But then again, one usually pays at least
as much for a Apple-compatable modem as for an external (and often alot more)
so that may not be a useful answer.

                        -- KD6PAG  (Networking Old-Timer, "RF newbie")

P.S.:

    Well, the 25 pin ones went out of style.  Lots of machines don't
    use any what with PS/2 connectors and all.  I predict no more
    9 pin serial ports by the year ... 2006?

There's a good reason that 25D's are unpopular, and that one goes back to
the MacPlus.  Apple's stupid decision to use a serial port connector for
SCSI has made most other people abandon the 25D for serial ports if they
support SCSI.  They know that a few dumb users will plug serial cable into
SCSI or SCSI cables into serial ports.  +/- 15V into a TTL compatable device
(0/+4V) can be really bad news.

------------------------------

From: "Eugene" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE controller:  More than two disks?
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 23:13:59 -0500

NO ide controller can support more then 2 disks. Boards have 2 ide
controllers on them, so you can have up to 4 devices.

------------------------------

From: Tovar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernel: lp1 at 0x0378, (polling)
Date: 16 Jan 1999 19:35:04 -0800

    which can't be removed with lprm!  Emptying the printqueue alone didn't
    work. You have to remove all files in /var/spool/lp0 and to reboot then.
    Good Luck !

I doubt a reboot is necessary (at least, not with the 'lprng' package).
You may need to make sure you've killed any 'lpd' process, do your dirty
work, and then start 'lpd' again.  Or look in /dev/init.d and find the
script that does the shutdown and startup for you.  Of course, if some
interlock got broken on /dev/lp* or maybe other places affecting 'lpd',
then you might still have to reboot (but i'd be surprised).

                                -- Tovar  (On the 'Net for over 20 years)

------------------------------

From: Douglas E Harmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Packard Bell soundcard
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 23:00:22 -0500

> I'm trying to get my soundcard working under linux. The card came with the
> computer, which is a rather strange beast manufactured by Packard Bell. As
> far as I am aware the soundcard has a AZT2320 chip, and is 100% Soundblaster
> Pro compatible. However attempting to use the sndconfig utility results in
> modprobe producing an error. The computer is a 9000 series (I believe the
> model number *may* be 9020, but I am unsure (I'm in university at the minute
> so I can't check)), and I am running Redhat Linux  5.1 (kernel version 2.0.34
> or similar, again not 100% sure), which works better than previous versions
> (sndconfig used to cause a segmentation fault).
>
> Please help!
>
> Rob Owen ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

>From the chip you mention it should be an aztec / washington card. I have one
also in windows this was the driver name listed. I never got it to work using SB
comp mode , gave up on it and installed an old pro spectrum audio 16. Had
trouble getting that to work so I downloaded Open Sound System . Easy install
after that. BTW OSS has support for some aztech cards. I learned later there are
some problems with the sound modules supplied with 5.1 which was probably the
problem. Since I already had everything working I never tried to fix them. Check
out www.redhat.com/support/docs/errata.html. For OSS check out
www.se.opensound.com....

hope that was some help...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: cds seem to burn ok, but no sound!
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 02:24:46 GMT

Ok I finally got my cd writer working...or so I though.  using xcdroast and
cdrecord, I try to copy an audio cd, and everything seems ok.  The tracks come
up correctly when I try to play it (same # of tracks, track length is ok).  In
fact everything is fine...except I get no sound!  I have wasted 2 discs
already.  Do I have to prepare the disc with a filesystem first?

Also, is it possible to write wav audio files to a cd (either directly or by
converting them somehow)?

Thanks a lot,

Brian (almost there)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carl Fink)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.questions,comp.os.linux
Date: 17 Jan 1999 03:24:55 GMT

On 16 Jan 1999 23:59:17 GMT, Ilya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>/swap    512  MB
.
.
.
>I have pretty much made up my mind about /swap.

You don't mount your swap partition as /swap -- it's not ext2 and
isn't mountable at all.  Also, unless they've changed it with kernel
versions above 2.0.x, you can't make a single swap partition that big,
it would have to be four or so separate swap partitions (which is easy
to do).  For maximum speed, you should put multiple swap partitions on
different physical disk drives (if you have more than one).

Note also that according to the Partitions-HOWTO, swap larger than
three times your physical RAM is unlikely to be used.  Note further
that unless your machine is a heavily loaded server or you are doing
some sort of fantastically RAM-intensive task (i.e. graphics
processing on 100 MB bitmaps) you're unlikely to need that much swap.

For an example, this 48 MB Linux box, running notorious RAM hog
Netscape Navigator plus innd plus a proxy server plus various other
stuff, has done NO swapping since I booted it.  I've never managed to
use more than 12 MB of RAM since I got it set up.

That's a single-user machine -- as I said, servers are different.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Your brain is actually a fabulously complex computer, which means that