From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frederic Faure)
Subject: Acer Vuego 620S scanner: Usable under Linux?
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 12:01:22 GMT

All,

Since I can't get that thing to work under Windows (TWAIN driver seems
brain-dead), does anyone know if I can run it under Linux? What about
OCR?

It's a 600x1200dpi scanner that comes with an ACARD AEC6710D PCI SCSI
card.

Thanks for any tip,
FF.
--
The system required Windows 95 or better, so I installed Linux!

------------------------------

From: Vartan Akopian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linuxfiles -> Win98
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 05:00:07 -0500

Stefan Sonesson wrote:

> Hello,
> Is there any utility/program out there, to let me retrieve files from my
> Linux hd to my win98 hd?
>
> I tried one named LinuxinDOS-something, but that was probably just what the
> name states...it didn't work.
>
> Thank you 4 your time.
>
> /Stefan

if they are in the same computer and you are using win98 look for
"ext2tools" on standard Linux sites.

Vartan

------------------------------

From: Erik Naggum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.misc,comp.emacs,comp.editors
Subject: Re: Linux keyboard? (For emacs use)
Date: 23 Jan 1999 13:13:33 +0000

* Ilya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| Well, my point was that it was inherently *easier* to read capitalized
| sentences.  They are more readable.

  this is not backed by independent studies.  lots of opinions stated by
  people who agree to it, sure, but not any tests of people who are either
  indifferent to the issue or just your average control group "readers".

| My statement that capitalization makes sentences more readable is *not*
| my opinion, it is a fact.

  then where are the studies and the reports showing that purported fact?
  just because you think so and have heard other people say so, doesn't
  make it a fact.  to give you a very real example of how people can
  believe things to be facts that aren't: lots of Norwegians think the
  United States have 52 states.  the source for this is _probably_ an
  erroneous claim in a textbook for third grade published in 1960 which
  counted Hawaii and Alaska twice each after they achieved statehood in
  1959, but that might again reflect a popular opinion at the time.  you
  will find many Norwegians who proclaim that it's a _fact_ that there are
  52 states, and this persistent myth has been the object of some research
  in how false statements of fact remain rock solid in people's memory.

| But, this rule exists for a reason.  It evolved for readability.

  I'd like to see the reference for this.  capitalization has evolved for a
  number of different reasons, but all I have found solid evidence for is
  that various languages have _downcased_ previously upper-cased words to
  increase readability.  like Norwegian, which dropped capitalization of
  nouns.  we also don't have proper adjectives, like Marxist, Norwegian,
  Boolean, etc, but lowercase them, so only proper nouns remain.

  now, there _is_ solid evidence that lower-case letters are much easier to
  read than upper-case letters.  the evidence suggests that the lower-case
  letters were _designed_ for legibility.  furthermore, much work has been
  done in typography to create fonts that are highly legible.  of interest
  in this regard is the trend in modern typography to use upper-case
  letters _much_ less frequently than was previously the case.  company
  logos in lower-case were unheard-of until the 1970's.  I imagine that
  some people would brand them as unlearned or evil-doers and what not.

  there is no evidence that lack of sentence-initial capitalization reduces
  reading speed in other people than those who are annoyed by it, but there
  is evidence that removing other random capitalizations increased reading
  speed, except in people who were annoyed by it.

#:Erik
--
  SIGTHTBABW: a signal sent from Unix to its programmers at random
  intervals to make them remember that There Has To Be A Better Way.

------------------------------

From: Erik Naggum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.misc,comp.emacs,comp.editors
Date: 23 Jan 1999 13:17:31 +0000

* Ilya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| But, if this does not persudade you, let's take a poll:
|
| [ ] I find sentences that begin with capitalized words easier to read.
| [ ] I do NOT find sentences that begin with capitalized words easier to read.
|
| (If the latter item is checked, then why do you write according to
| grammatical rules?)

  is this the kind of unscientific crap that supports your position?

  an honest researcher would have been smart enough to realize that those
  who check box two above may be _unaffected_ by the capitalization rules,
  and just do it because there are nutcases who harrass them if they don't
  and they don't feel like defending themselves.  especially not against
  "poll-takers" who know _nothing_ about poll-taking and how to ensure that
  the results are scientifically valid.

  sheesh.  people who want sentence-initial capitals are so _irrational_.

#:Erik

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Laptop: Compaq Presario 1681
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 08:32:07 GMT

Nik Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I am considering installing linux on a friend's Compaq Presario 1681
>laptop and was curious if anyone had any experience with one of these.
>Specifically, I was curious if and how well the sound hardware works in
>linux.  I understand that the video chipset is a NeoMagic. Is there
>anything else that I should be particularly aware of before I set out?

Yes. The modem will not work at all. It's a - you guess it ...

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu
   Note: If you want me to send you email, don't mungle your address.

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster Live! or EMU10k1 support...
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 08:47:53 -0500

As far as I know (I don't have one, so have paid attention only
marginally to the matter), SB Live isn't _yet_ supported in Linux, but
there are people working on it, and wouldn't be surprised if something
popped out in the near future.

MST

------------------------------

From: "David R. Bergstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.kernel,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: K6-400 "kernel paging request" errors
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 09:39:55 -0500

José Ureña wrote:

> When using Heat Tranfer compound (grease), remember to remove any
> excess from the sides and walls of the heat sink. (the Radiator)
> The compound tends to collect dust and turns into a kind of insulator
> that prevents the heat from excaping the heat sink.

That's a great tip - I will check for this next time I service the unit.

Thanks again,
-
David R. Bergstein
Systems Engineer and Blues Musician
Rockville, MD
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SE & Blues Musician Home Page   Heart of Blue - Playin' the Blues for
You!
http://www.erols.com/dbergst    http://heartofblue.com

From: Michael Carley<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.misc,comp.emacs,comp.editors
Date: 23 Jan 1999 13:56:46 -0000

Erik Naggum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>  obviously.  the question is for whom it causes a problem and why.

For what it's worth, I find capitals at the start of a sentence
very useful in making text easier to scan (by me, not by a machine).
They're useful as reference points in the text; punctuation rarely
stands out strongly enough to serve the same purpose (especially
if something is properly, i.e. lightly, punctuated). This is
especially true in printed text which is justified to both margins.
--
``Permitt not your schollars to ramble abroad, especially lett them not
soe much as peepe into a tavern or tipleing house'' (Provost Loftus).

My return address has the user name reversed.

------------------------------

From: Thomas Frese <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux compatiblity with Colorado tape drives.
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 14:51:45 GMT

I'm using the Colorado 8GB under Linux...newer kernels since 2.0.34
or 35 contain the IDE/ATAPI Tape driver. The Colorado works with this.
You don't have to use BRU or any special program, once the drive
works, you can use any tape utility such as tar, cpio. I do use
BRU since it's very good. However, there is a problem with using the
Colorado - BRU sometimes does not rewind correctly to the beginning
of the tape or archive. According to BRU's support, this is a bug
in the current version of the Linux IDE Tape driver. BRU offered
some solution which doesn't work. Right now, I always have to format
the tape in Windows and then make the backup under Linux...that
works fine. Never had a single read or write error. However, scsi
tape should be better supported under Linux.

Tom

------------------------------

From: Thomas Frese <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.development.abbs,comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 14:52:45 GMT

------------------------------

From: Michael Carley<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.misc,comp.emacs,comp.editors
Date: 23 Jan 1999 14:10:34 -0000

Erik Naggum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>  now, there _is_ solid evidence that lower-case letters are much easier to
>  read than upper-case letters.  the evidence suggests that the lower-case
>  letters were _designed_ for legibility.  furthermore, much work has been
>  done in typography to create fonts that are highly legible.  of interest
>  in this regard is the trend in modern typography to use upper-case
>  letters _much_ less frequently than was previously the case.  company
>  logos in lower-case were unheard-of until the 1970's.  I imagine that
>  some people would brand them as unlearned or evil-doers and what not.

Josef Albers had this to say (quoted in Tufte, Envisioning Information)
  This notion [the simpler the type, the easier the reading] has
  proved to be wrong, because in reading we do not read letters
  but words, words as a whole, as a ``word picture.'' Opthalmology
  has disclosed that the more the letters are differentiated from
  each other, the easier is the reading.

  Without going into comparisons and the details, it should be
  realized that words consisting of only capital letters present
  the most difficult reading---because of their equal height,
  equal volume, and, with most, their equal width. When comparing
  serif letters with sans-serif, the latter provide an uneasy
  reading. The fashionable preference for sans-serif in text
  shows neither historical nor practical competence.

It seems, psychologically, that well-differentiated characters
are useful to aid the reader which is why I favour capitals
at the start of a sentence---they mark points in the structure
clearly and visually.

From: Mark Meister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux driver for Matrox Meteor2 frame grabber?
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 16:43:57 +0100

------------------------------

From: "Michael Gruner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FIC VA503+ & NCR810a
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 16:51:28 +0100

Hi!
My VA503+ works fine with Linux and an SYM8600SP. Proc. AMD K6-2 300, 100MHz
Bus.
Hope that helps.

Tschau
Michael
Gregor Zych schrieb in Nachricht
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Bruce Stephens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Wacom Woes...
Date: 23 Jan 1999 14:12:06 +0000

Guus Zijlstra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > Snips of startx error log:
>
> XFree86 Version 3.3.2.3 / X Window System
> (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6300)
> Release Date: July 15 1998

> (**) Wacom port is /dev/ttyS1
> (**) Wacom X device name is Wacom
> (**) Wacom suppress value is 15
> (**) Wacom X device name is WacomCore
> (**) Wacom device always stays core pointer
> (**) Wacom suppress value is 15
> (**) Wacom X device name is CURSOR
> (**) Wacom suppress value is 15
> (**) Wacom X device name is CursorCore
> (**) Wacom device always stays core pointer
> (**) Wacom suppress value is 15
> (**) Wacom suppress value is 15
> (**) Wacom X device name is EraserCore
> (**) Wacom device always stays core pointer
> (**) Wacom suppress value is 15

> (**) Adding extended device "Wacom" (type: Wacom Stylus)
> (**) Adding extended device "WacomCore" (type: Wacom Stylus)
> (**) Adding extended device "CURSOR" (type: Wacom Cursor)
> (**) Adding extended device "CursorCore" (type: Wacom Cursor)
> (**) Adding extended device "ERASER" (type: Wacom Eraser)
> (**) Adding extended device "EraserCore" (type: Wacom Eraser)
> Wacom unable to read last byte of request '~#' answer after 3 tries
> Wacom unable to read last byte of request '~#' answer after 3 tries

OK.  You should check to make sure that /dev/ttyS1 really is the right
serial port, and that your tablet is plugged in before you start X.
I've had similar errors when I forgot to plug the tablet in.
(Remember that ttyS0 is, in Windows terminology, COM1, and ttyS1 is
COM2.)

There may be other serial port settings that it's possible to mess up,
but they're less likely than just getting the wrong one (which I've
done more than once).

Assuming this doesn't work, you'll want the source.  A build kit from
the web page should be enough: it contains everything you need to
build xf86Wacom.so.  So you can instrument the source, and find out
what's happening.  Using a conventional debugger probably isn't
practical, since it's a module---is that why you wanted the source to
the rest of the X server (which you can download from
<URL:http://www.xfree86.org>)?

You could also contact the author, who'll certainly want to help if
it's a real bug, but who may know of incompatibilities with the Dutch
version of the tablet, or something.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (E. Frank Ball)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.misc,comp.emacs,comp.editors
Date: 21 Jan 1999 00:37:21 GMT

On 19 Jan 1999 20:43:22 +0800 Ilya ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) @ [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
} In comp.editors David A. Rogers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
} > On Tue, 19 Jan 1999 06:27:00 GMT, Joseph H Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
} > speaketh saying:
} > >In article <36a42292.0@calwebnnrp>, Ilya  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
} > >>I am interested in a "soft-touch" keyboard for a Linux workstation that has
} > >>one Control key on the home row - by the "A" key or "Caps lock" key, instead
} > >>of 2 Control keys on the bottom like on Windows keyboards. I would like to
} > >>hear someone recommend a keyboard with these specifications.
} > >
} > >Remap the caps-lock key into the Ctrl key.  Take a look at 'loadmap' and
} > >/usr/lib/kbd/keytables/emacs.map

} > As well as modmap for X11.

} I truly appreciate your suggestions, but I'd rather get a real workstation
} keyboard like the ones that Sun, HP, DEC and the rest of them sell, and not
} mess with re-mapping.

I've been using the HP keyboards for years, and I really like them, but
even HP is moving away from them.  All the new computers come with
standard PC layout keyboards.  I use xmodmap and move the control key to
the caps lock, the escape key to the control key, and the caps lock to
the escape key (I'm a vi user, so I need my handy esc key.)

--

   Frank Ball    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Andrea Borgia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH5.2 SCSI bus timeout - aic7880/aic7860 - help?
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 16:50:16 GMT

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:09:33 -0500,
in article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aaron Bredon) wrote:

>> < --- snip --- >
>> Jan 14 14:17:52 felix kernel: (scsi0) Cables present (Int-50 YES, Int-68 YES,
>Ext-68 YES)
>> Jan 14 14:17:52 felix kernel: (scsi0) Illegal cable configuration!!  Only two
>> Jan 14 14:17:52 felix kernel: (scsi0) connectors on the SCSI controller may be in
>use at a time!
>> < --- snip --- >
>
>The card is detecting 3 cables attached to the SCSI bus - this is not
>allowed. I would suggest getting 68-50 pin adapters to connect narrow
>devices to the wide scsi internal cable, and disconnect the 50 pin cable.
>If you do not have 3 cables connected, then something else is wrong.

Our server has a cd writer on the narrow cable, two disks on the wide
channel and a dat unit on the external connector attached to the wide
channel. The driver complains, but nothing wrong happens.

I think his problem is due to an old driver: 5.1.2 and 5.1.4. caused a
lot of problems like he described on both our aic7xxx-based machines.

5.1.6, otoh, seems to be humming along just fine, so my suggestion is:
go to the redhat ftp site, in /pub/aic (or whatever), grab the latest
patch for 2.0.36, apply and rebuild.

Hope this helps.

--
Alias:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
sysadm on cantina.students.cs.unibo.it

------------------------------

From: Jan Arvid Veggeberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Diamond NetCommander ISDN card ?
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 18:37:21 +0100

Hi,

    Has anyone got the Diamond Supra NetCommander ISDN card to work
under Linux ?

    In case the answer is yes, which driver was used ?
    Is there a driver ?

    Please cc me as well in the answer.

    Thanks !!

Janni