Linux-Hardware Digest #299, Volume #9            Fri, 29 Jan 99 15:13:44 EST

Contents:
  Re: 3COM sells crippled modems (was  3COM "support" (was: any voice capable/fax
modem software for use in warp4?)) ("狂人")
  Re: PnP sound in the new pre 2.2 kernel (Burkard B. Kreidler)
  RePost (more info): Fried system - help! ("Aaron Dershem")
  WTB: CD CADDY (Nick Papadonis)
  Re: 5gb second hard disk (Jose Urena)
  Monster3D QII & Linux (grinder)
  mouse problem ("perdu")
  3c905tx 10/100 Redhat 5.2 (Allen Ahoffman)
  help with modem setup ("Klement, Christopher (EXCHANGE:CRK:5T31)")
  Re: How to set compression on Exabyte 8505XL tape drive (Markus Wandel)
  Dell 486 BIOS Y2K problem (Blake Sobiloff)
  IOmega Ditto Max ("Dominic T. Cheng")
  ZIp 250: kernel and driver versions, and ECP/EPP mode. (Neil Zanella)
  Problems mounting ZIP drive ("Morgan Whaley")
  Re: IntelliMouse problem with XFree86 ("John Becker")
  Notebook with 3D Rage LT Pro ("Dave Borgelt")
  Re: realaudio heavy CPU loading (Eric Potter)
  HP Deskjet 722c ("Morgan Whaley")
  Re: TVout for Linux? Possible? ("SVS")
  Re: Overclocked Celeran300A and Linux? (Markus Wandel)

comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.os.os2.comm,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
From: "狂人" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3COM sells crippled modems (was  3COM "support" (was: any voice
capable/fax modem software for use in warp4?))
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 21:51:28 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 01/28/99
   at 08:38 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Trettel) said:

>The winmodem term isn't even regularly used enough to trigger a warning
>when it's needed.  As an example, the local Best Buy here in NoVa is
>selling Zoom 56k PCI modems (internal, obviously) for $49.00 after rebate.
>It took me the better part of an hour on the web to finally figure out that
>this is a crippled "winmodem" type device.  On the box it states for use
>with Win 9* and NT, and nothing else.  I've ran across enough hardware that
>said only Windows is supported which also worked fine under OS/2 and Linux,
>that I needed confirmation as to the modem's status.  I ended up buying the
>Zoom external 56k dual mode instead, just to be sure I wasn't going to get
>nailed.  Ridiculous....

I'm with you there buddy... Makes you wonder if you need to hold a gun to
the manufacturer's head to make them label the product properly...

--
===Team OS/2, Team OS/2 at Taiwan, ICE News Beta Tester. Bovine Team===
======Warped Key Crucher, And OS/2 ISP CD Project Member. TBA  #3======

     Owner of PC End User Web Site       http://www.pcenduser.com/

  光碟月刊 OS/2 技術編輯 Internet Pioneer CD-ROM Monthly, OS/2 Editor
      Java 1.1.4 - MR/2 ICE REG#:10510 - OS/2 T-Warp Connect 4.0
      ICQ# = 8943567 (Still Experimenting with ICQ for Java :) )

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Burkard B. Kreidler)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: PnP sound in the new pre 2.2 kernel
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 21:58:03 GMT

>>  I've recently acquired a new Sound Blaster PCI128 sound card for my

>You will need to initialize the card with isapnptools then proceed as
>normal.
PCI cards aswell?

http://wwwcip.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/~che11785

Some user enters a computer store
"I use Win 98"
- "mmmmmmmmmmmmh"
"My computer doesn't work"
- "You already told that..."

------------------------------

From: "Aaron Dershem" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RePost (more info): Fried system - help!
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:13:16 -0600

Hello, I have a slight hardware problem.

To give you a little background, I attempted to load Linux on the computer.
I succeeded.  I then rebooted the machine, but smoke started pouring out
from the power supply fan.  I immediately turned off the computer, and
looked inside.  Two wires, coming from one of the four-wire disk drive power
connectors, had melted through their insulation, and the end connector
(whick looks like a large jumper) had been melted.  I did not see any
evidence anywhere on the motherboard, any components or the case which
indicated an accidental connection or burn mark.  I can't remember if that
wire was even hooked up to anything.

Anyway, I snipped the wires off so they wouldn't cause anymore problems,
rebooted and all was fine - I just didn't get the little LED light to
indicate power to the system (curious...).  Next, I attempted to upgrade
some components of Linux.  This failed due to dependencies not being found.
I thought, "Oh, well.  No big deal," and shut the machine off.  When I
rebooted, everything was going fine until the xserver attempted to start.
When it got to that part, the system went haywire, I got junk all over the
screen, and nothing worked.  I tried going to a different virtual console to
fix things, to no avail.  So I did a hard-reset to reboot the machine.  Now
it won't POST.  I am getting power - the fan starts (the power supply and
the CPU), the hard drives spin up, but I don't get a video signal and no
POST beeps - NONE!  Did I fry my mother board, or my video card?  Does
anyone out there know???

When I figure this out, I swear I won't go mucking about with upgrades until
I know better!

Trapped in no-computer-land,

Aaron Dershem

My system configuration:

M-Tech R533 motherboard
Award BIOS (4.51 I believe)
Cyrix P-120+ CPU
64MB RAM
2 IDE Hard drives running from the onboard controller (PCI bus)
ATi mach64 2MB video card
CTX 1562GM Monitor
serial mouse
standard keyboard
standard floppy

------------------------------

Subject: WTB: CD CADDY
From: Nick Papadonis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 28 Jan 1999 16:52:18 -0500

This might be off topic but didn't know where to post this.

Does anyone know a good source of CDROM caddies???

I can't seem to find them anywhere...

THanks.

--

Nick Papadonis

From: Jose Urena <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 5gb second hard disk
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:00:58 -0500

==============94A6E211FFDC01838566618E

you must have a kernel with support for fat16 and fat32 support
since most kernels past 2.0.35 have this, do this:

mkdir /mnt/windows
mount -t vfat /dev/hdb1 /mnt/windows

S ANCELOT wrote:

> I do not manage to sea my second 5gb hard disk containing windows 95
> what are the mount options ?

==============94A6E211FFDC01838566618E

you must have a kernel with support for fat16 and fat32 support
windows 95

From: grinder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Monster3D QII & Linux
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 11:50:27 -0500

I'd like to play Q2 without having to boot to Windows to do it, so
I'm going to get a Monster3D card.
Is anyone using/used the above combo?
What kind of framerate can I expect with a K6-233?
Any probs?

From: "perdu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mouse problem
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 18:50:40 +0100

My mouse isn't detected with RedHat5.2. It normally works on DOS.

Does someone know something ???

thanks for all

------------------------------

From: Allen Ahoffman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3c905tx 10/100 Redhat 5.2
Date: 28 Jan 1999 18:09:01 -0500

I have a 3c905TX card in one computer which doesn't like
to be run on the 100MBPS hub.
I have another 3c905TX card in another box wich works fine.

do I need to run something from the setup disks or what?

I thought this card auto sensed.

The one working runs Debian v1.3 while the nonworking one has rh5.2.

thanks.

| Announce communications Inc. |     voice: 301-731-5786              |
| 5004 West Lanham Dr.          |    email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]     |
| Hyattsville, MD 20784         |    http:  www.announce.com          |

From: "Klement, Christopher (EXCHANGE:CRK:5T31)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help with modem setup
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:43:00 -0500

i just bought a new external modem (supraExpress 56K v90)and i dont know
how to
set it up in linux (i have RH 5.2). can anyone give me instructions on
how
to do this... it will reall be appreciated. thank you in advance.
cheers

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Markus Wandel)
Subject: Re: How to set compression on Exabyte 8505XL tape drive
Date: 29 Jan 1999 17:51:58 GMT

In article <78njek$ake$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Running "mt setdensity 140" which should set the
>density code to 8505 compressed mode has no
>effect on the capacity of the tape, and "mt status"
>still reports "0x0 (default)".
>
>Any suggestions on how to get compression turned
>back on would be greatly appreciated.

This is probably the dumb sort of answer you hoped not to get, but with
an old Archive DDS/DDS-DC drive (4mm DAT DDS1 uncompressed/compressed)
the "mt compression on" and "mt compression off" commands actually work.
At least, if you set the DIP switch on the drive to disable compression,
then "mt compression on" results in an error - I haven't actually verified
by filling a tape to the end!  I forget what the correct "setdensity" number
is but the only one it accepts without an error is the one for DDS1.

This is with RedHat 5.2 and an Adaptec 1540CF, if that matters.

------------------------------

From: Blake Sobiloff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dell 486 BIOS Y2K problem
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 17:36:38 -0500

I have a Dell System 4066/XE that I run Red Hat on, and according to
Dell's web site it's BIOS is not Y2K compliant. In addition, they say
that the only available fix is to run a little program from CONFIG.SYS
to correct the date. (See
<http://support.dell.com/filelib/download/index.asp?fileid=946&libid=7>.)
In short, this is what the program does:

The program patch does the following: Reads the date through BIOS
interrupt 1A, function 4
                         (get Real-Time Clock date)

                         If the year is less than 1980
                         Then
                         Set the most-significant 2 digits to 20,
                         Set the date through DOS function 2B (set
system date).
                         EndIF

                         Exit without staying resident.

That's great if I'm running some DOS variant, but it'll hose Linux.
Anyone have a work-around? What about that MFI Flash 2000 ISA card --
anyone know if that will solve the problem and work under Linux?
--
Blake Sobiloff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Higher Education Consulting

------------------------------

From: "Dominic T. Cheng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IOmega Ditto Max
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:20:28 -0600

I will soon be installing RedHat 5.2 and was wondering if an IOmega Ditto
Max tape backup (internal IDE) was compatible with Linux?  If yes, what
backup applications are used with it?

Thanks
Dominic

------------------------------

From: Neil Zanella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ZIp 250: kernel and driver versions, and ECP/EPP mode.
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 17:55:30 -0330

Hello,

I would like to know what version of the imm driver I need for

the Zip 250 parallel port drive.

If you have a working Zip 250 drive under Linux, please mail

me kernel version, driver version, and whether you are using

SPP, ECP, EPP, or bi-dircetional mode.

I have tried imm.o under kernel 2.0.36 but was not able to get it

working. Probably I had an old version of imm.

Does it matter if I enaled support for the ppa module in the kernel

configuration? That is, does that affect things? Now I know

I should be using the imm driver.

Please write back and give me the version of your working kernel,

and module and the BIOS settings of you parallel port.

After all, I had tried the imm driver on a WINBOND 772 motherboard

or so, so I am a bit careful about possible defects in the parallel

port. After all, my HP Deskjet 670C was working a bit funny under both

Linux and Win95. It seemed to have some communication problems with the

OS, doing things when not asked to, ignoring some commands etc...

I also did PLIP on that port and I had to change a cable that should

have worked for another brand name cable. PLIP works now.

Both PLIP, LP, and ZIP are currently enabled as modules.

Well, please write back if you have a Zip 250 drive.

Best Regards,

Neil Zanella

From: "Morgan Whaley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems mounting ZIP drive
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 17:45:44 -0500

I have an ATAPI ZIP drive.   RedHAT 5.2 sees it configures it as /dev/hdd.

However, I have had NO luck getting a ZIP disk to mount.

Any ideas?

TIA

Morgan

------------------------------

From: "John Becker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: IntelliMouse problem with XFree86
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 18:33:36 GMT

I have to un plug and plug mine back in before it works, don't know why and
it's a pain in the butt!

-John

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message <1999Jan28.102224.56595@ludens>...
>Hi!
>I have a problem with configuring my serial MS IntelliMouse with X under
Linux.
>I have Slackware 3.3 (2.0.30 kernel, XFree86 3.3). When configuring X
(XF86Setup, xf86config or directly editing XF86Config), I
>tried each possible setup, but the mouse cursor didn't want to move anyway.
>With XF86Setup (VGA16 server) I was able to use to mouse as IntelliMouse,
but just until I started the final X server.

------------------------------

From: "Dave Borgelt" <dborgelt@xxxxxxcom>
Subject: Notebook with 3D Rage LT Pro
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 15:52:34 -0600
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x

I have a notebook with 1024 x 768 display (Winbook XL2) and the 3D Rage LT
Pro AGP.  I have installed the XFree86 3.3.3.1 from Redhat's site and am
running Redhat 5.2.

I have tried all the combinations of SVGA and Mach64 that I can think of but
still the display is garbled.  Usually the display flickers with horizontal
"streaks" and there are vertical bands of maybe 120 pixels which are blanked
or display other portions of the screen.

Are special 'Modelines' needed here for the notebook LCD?

Sometimes the screen is garbled and squashed into the top half of the
display.  For the most part the display appears to show only the upper left
of the screen as thought I'm trying to put an XGA screen on a VGA display --
but without the scrolling of a virtual display

After I installed XFree86 3.3.3.1, Xconfigurator won't work anymore (it does
a core dump, segmentation fault as soon as I make my first choice on the
first screen).

XF86Setup works goes into a nice graphics screen but whatever I choose I
still end up with a display like I described above.  Ditto for xf86config.
If you have the fix I'd appreciate a copy of your XF86Config or any advice
you may have.

Thanks for your help,

Dave Borgelt

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric Potter)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: realaudio heavy CPU loading
Date: 29 Jan 1999 19:03:06 GMT

Marc Jauvin enlightened this group thus:
> Eric Potter wrote:
>>
>> Kelvin Leung enlightened this group thus:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I got my RH 5.2 running with Ensoniq PCI sound card. I have the alsa
>> > sound driver works fine. Both X11amp and Realaudio can produce sound
>> > out. But the RealAudio heavily load my CPU (K6-166 overclocked to 200).
>> > The audio is interrupted everytime I change to another window , or
>> > browsing within Netscape. I got the CPU load monitor fire up and it
>> > seems the CPU is fully occupied! I don't think it's the CPU problem 'cos
>> > I don't have problem with X11amp, also the Realaudio (not G2) in Windows
>> > in the same machine. Is that a fact or just my system doing weird!?
>> >
>> > Kelvin
>>
>> The sound driver in the 2.2.0 kernel performs much better.  The problem with
>> interruptions when switching between windows has been pretty much eliminated.
>
> I tried the sound driver of the 2.2.0 kernel with my Ensoniq PCI and I get poor
> sound (with play command) and Realaudio does not work at all (cannot write to
> the /dev/dsp or /dev/audio error message). I am running RedHat 5.2 with the
> alsa drivers (kernel 2.2.0) and it works very well (except for the interuptions
> that were described above).
>
> -- marc
>
> Pet Store: "Buy one, get one flea."

The Changes file in the 2.2.0 kernel source code tells you how to fix the
Real Audio player to work with the new sound driver.

--
   *  ^  \     ___@
 *^  / \  \   |  \

------------------------------

From: "Morgan Whaley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP Deskjet 722c
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 18:14:55 -0500

Anyone had any luck using this printer under RedHAT 5.2?

TIA

Morgan

------------------------------

From: "SVS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TVout for Linux? Possible?
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 23:31:26 -0600

Excellent. Would you happen to know if the Trident 9850 and 9750 are also
supported?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Markus Wandel)
Subject: Re: Overclocked Celeran300A and Linux?
Date: 29 Jan 1999 19:04:54 GMT

I have an ABIT BH6 with PC100 SDRAM and a retail Celeron 300A, bought
specifically with hopes of running at 450 like everyone else seems to be
doing.  Mine is of the date code ending in 558 that the "Anandtech" people
said 5/5 tested were OK at 450MHz at default voltage.

It seemed to work OK.  What little I did in Win95 didn't crash, and Linux
crashed a couple of times but I attributed that to X kernel bugs or whatever.

Then I read the web page about the "unexpected signal 11" problems when
recompiling the Linux kernel.  I tried it, and sure enough I got that on
the second attempt (the first one was OK.)

I then experimented and found (in order)

100MHz   (450)   2.0V   Unstable
66MHz    (300)   2.0V   Stable (has not crashed in Linux at all, including
                        one test of 110 consecutive kernel compiles overnight.)
100MHz   (450)   2.1V   Survived 10 kernel compiles in a row, no further test.
102.5MHz (461)   2.1V   Unstable

The 102.5MHz comes from the 2.5% (approx) speedup option that the BH6 BIOS
conveniently provides for checking whether your system has any margin.

Room temperature was under 19 degrees Celsius and it never got warmer than
24 degrees Celsius in the case according to the BIOS temperature display,
so it would be worse yet on a hot summer day.

I am not comfortable with jacking the voltage up further.  The Celeron 300A
is already spec'd to dissipate 18W max (check data sheet from Intel's web
site) and with chips like this, power consumption scales with supply voltage
and clock frequency, so at 450MHz/2.1V it is potentially peaking at over
28 watts.  That's a _lot_ of power for any IC and while the cooling
arrangement on my retail Celeron looks reasonable I don't know if it has
that much margin.  And knowing that I'm at most 2.5% away from guaranteed
failure doesn't help either.

So I find my hopes of low-priced megapower dashed and must live with 300MHz.

I may merely have a slow part.  Many people brag of running theirs at 504MHz,
and while I doubt that many of them could pass a truly rigorous test, no
doubt a lot of them _would_ have positive margin at 450MHz/2.0V.  So I lose,
too bad.

Be prepared for that.  Nobody will refund your money because the CPU only
works as advertised.  Besides, if you're used to, say, a 233MMX, a Celeron
300A is plenty fast even at 300MHz.