Linux-Hardware Digest #356, Volume #9             Thu, 4 Feb 99 19:13:43 EST

Contents:
  sound card problem ("C.S.Tsang")
  power cable or tv cable modem ("Ubik(news)")
  Re: cant get NIC to work aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!! (Henrik Carlqvist)
  ir control project ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Matrox Marvel G200-TV and X...? ("Crossbones")
  Small Linux 0.5.0 - three diskette micro Linux distribution (Steven Gibson)
  recover partition-table (Tobias Schneck)
  Problem installing Linux . Virtual Resolution Disabled
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Sound volume too low with Yamaha OPL3-SAx (Dominick Samperi)
  Re: DAT Drives (David Utidjian)
  Re: Lost: One Cute Penguin ("Peter Caffin")
  Re: Gigabyte Board and partition errors (Daniel Bendiksen)
  Re: Celeron and Linux How about it? (Frank Miles)
  modem help MT5634ZPX-PCI ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  postscript on nec 870 bogus... (carl stanley)
  Soundcard problem (Fredrik)
  Re: I'm loosing memory!!! (Rob O'Connell)
  Re: XWindows on a 16MB TNT  :(  no go. (Tobias)
  Re: Banshee (Mark H.)
  Epson vs. HP ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Help with TV tuner. (Ralph Pickering)
  SMC EPIC/100 Network Card doesn't work (Johannes Nix)
  Linux support for CompPro PL G Snap camera (Vaughan R. Pratt)
  Re: Terminals (sources of used terminals) (Steve Wertz)

From: "C.S.Tsang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sound card problem
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 23:25:34 +0800

Hello:

I am using Linux Slackware 3.6 and Kernel version 2.0.35.
Can anyone tell me how I make my "Creative Vibra16C PNP"
sound card work with Linux and X Windows?

thank you

------------------------------

From: "Ubik(news)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: power cable or tv cable modem
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:42:29 +0200

does anyone know how close are they(anyone) to finish power cable or tv
cable modem?

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cant get NIC to work aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 21:11:56 +0100

Craig Lucas wrote:
> Can't get any of my NICs to work, don't know if configuration is
> wrong or if I am using the wrong module for it/them.

> SMC 8013 I/O=0x300 IRQ=10

You should probably use the driver for WD80*3 for that one. I think the
SMC is compatible with that one.

> Intel EtherExpress 8/16 I/O=0x300 IRQ=5

> Tried different modules in Kernel Configuator:
>  eexpress.o

I would guess on that one too for the EtherExpress. However, if it
doesn't work: Try booting from the Slackware NFS installation boot disk.
That kernel is able to autodetect most network cards.

>  tulip
>  smc-ultra

Those drivers are for other cards.

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ir control project
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 19:25:52 GMT

I have an FIC VA503+ and am trying to implement some kind of IR control with
its IR connector on the board.  It seems to me that I should be able to
purchase some IR diodes and phototransistors and hook them directly up the
connector. The board has a ten pin double row header with two grounds, two
Vcc's, IRTX, IRTX2, IRRX, and IRRX2.  Am I missing something or can I just
hook up the TX/RX components directy to these pins without any other kind of
interface hardware? I can't seem to find any prebuild dongles for the board,
only ASUS seems to sell one for their boards and they have a different
connector and what seems to be a more complicated interface.  I'd appreciate
any hints, etc anyone could provide.  Email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Crossbones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Matrox Marvel G200-TV and X...?
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 20:39:11 GMT

 I had X running on my machine just fine before I replaced my ATi video card
with a this Matrox Marvel. Problem is, now I can't get X
to work with anything but 640x480 8bpp. (This is the AGP version of the
card, btw..)

 Steve

(Remove spam. to reply via email.)

------------------------------

From: Steven Gibson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Small Linux 0.5.0 - three diskette micro Linux distribution
Date: 4 Feb 1999 20:39:26 GMT

Small Linux version 0.5.0 has been released.  This micro distribution is
based on Linux kernel 1.2.11.  It will boot on an Intel machine with at
least 2 meg of ram.  PLIP and SLIP networking are available. It uses ELF
binaries for libc 5.0. It is useful for installing Linux on old laptops
with small amounts of ram.

Changes include a support diskette with additional utilities.

http://smalllinux.netpedia.net

ftp://ftp.superant.com

Steven Gibson

mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Tobias Schneck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: recover partition-table
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:23:19 +0100

I've got the following problem: Because of an attack the partition-table
of my computer is deletet. Does anybody know a tool to check the
partition of the hard-disk ?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Problem installing Linux . Virtual Resolution Disabled
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 16:27:09 GMT

Problem installing Linux .  Virtual Resolution Disabled
X-windows problem
Video Card - Built in with computer
Computer - Compaq Armada 7360 DMT
Red Hat 5.2
Xfree 86 3.3.2
Problem -- Virtual Resolution Disabled
1024x768 - It only shows 2/3rds of the screen
800x600 - Doesn't work
640x480 - Renders at 400x320

Has anybody made Linux work with my video card?
Gracias

From: Dominick Samperi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound volume too low with Yamaha OPL3-SAx
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 13:12:40 -0500

I have heard at least two reports of a problem with the Yamaha OPL3-SAx
driver under linux regarding sound volume (on a Toshiba laptop). I have
installed this driver and it works, but the volume is very low, even
when I turn the volume control all the way up, and turn up the volume
on the KDE mixer as well. On the other hand, there is no problem with
sound volume when Windows98 is run on the same machine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dominick

------------------------------

From: David Utidjian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DAT Drives
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 03:23:31 -0500

> I have a computer running RH 5.2

So do I.

> I want to buy a 4mm DAT Drive.
> Which one I should?

I have used: HP, IBM, and Sony 4mm DAT drives... all worked fine.

> Is the interface usually SCSI?

Yes. (And a good thing too!).

-David Utidjian-

From: "Peter Caffin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Lost: One Cute Penguin
Date: 4 Feb 1999 08:12:11 GMT

In comp.os.linux.x Derek Lakin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Anyone know how to relocate my lost penguin?

[snip: my other reply which hasn't made it to the server yet so I can
follow it up]

There ya go, that's what I get for not reading your question through
properly.. I look silly. Hrmm.

My previous reply to you would give you penguin wallpaper (have a
look in /var/www/kerneldoc/Documentation/logo.gif for a really snazzy
large image of Tux the Penguin) rather than getting Tux back on your
fvwm95 Start Button.

Someone else has already answered your real question, so, to give some
even more offtopic info, to tile him on your background (rather than have
a fullscreen Tux), use:

  xview -onroot -zoom 50 /var/www/kerneldoc/Documentation/logo.gif

*wanders off looking sheepish*

--:     _         ___  _    _ _
 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  |  _ |_|_' _  pc at it dot net dot a u |
//`'\_ | (/_|(/_| .|. |_(_|| | || |            it.net.au/~pc |
/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel Bendiksen)
Subject: Re: Gigabyte Board and partition errors
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 18:06:33 GMT

"B. Jacke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I've got problems with my GA586VX Mainboard and 66MHz Bus frequency

I've had memory problems with the 430VX chipset on many occasions. In fact, it
seems like if I use four SIMMs of the same size (i.e. 4x16MB), I will get flakey
memory response. On the other hand, it seems to settle down if I use 3x32MB
SDIMM (64MB SDIMM is not compatible, but will boot as 16MB total system memory)
or if I use 2x16MB SIMM and 2x8MB DIMM or just drop to 2xSIMMs.

Hope this helps resolve your problem.

Daniel Bendiksen of Bendiksen Enterprises; 503-362-4494
- Computer servicing and consulting since 1994 -

* To reply, remove NOTTHIS from the reply email address. *KILL SPAM*

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Miles)
Subject: Re: Celeron and Linux How about it?
Date: 4 Feb 1999 18:21:29 GMT

In article <79ckcv$8dn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Smartpatrol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have been dinking around with linux for a little while however I don't
>know where or how to pass the MEM= to the Kernel. Is it part of compileing
>or in a seperate boot file?
>
>Eric Sandeen wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>>Should be fine.  You need to pass a MEM=XXX to the kernel on boot to
>>recognize over 64 megs....

In lilo.conf.  IIRC there are some examples in one of the documentation
files.  This has also been mentioned a number of times, so you might
want to check out DejaNews.

        -frank

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: modem help MT5634ZPX-PCI
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 17:37:03 GMT

I have a Multitech MT5634ZPX-PCI modem its not a "winmodem" and it will
operate under Unix,OS2,windows and according to Multitech Linux as well "in
therory". I've see people posting articles claiming that this modem should
work but I have yet to see anyone back it up with any facts ect. I'm begining
to think that I'm wasting my time messing with this modem but right now I
just want to prove it does or doesn't work.

My Windows 98 Modem Settings are:

IRQ 11
COM 5
UART 16550AN

Do I set my Linux settings to match my windows settings ? Example: setserial
/dev/ttys4 IRQ 11 UART 16559

When I use the setserial command It shows the changes have been made but I'm
unable to get the modem to anything. I can use minicom to dial and it says its
dailing but it just hangs there.

anyone has any ideas??

Thanks!

Ken Bell I have a Multitech MT5634ZPX-PCI modem its not a "winmodem" and it

Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 14:43:59 -0500
From: carl stanley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.printing
Subject: postscript on nec 870 bogus...

I ordered a nec 870 laserwriter for my small home office of mac, win95,
& unix (bsd & linux) OS's - i ordered the network card + the postscript
option.

I haven't got the network card but did get the postscript option today,
& it is the most bogus thing i've ever seen.  I was under the impression
it was a ROM chip (or similiar) that gave the 870 printer itself
postscript capability, but all it does it allows you to use PC
applications to print to a postscript driver & then the "Superscript
PowerRIP" software (which is what comes when you buy the postscript
option) converts it into a raster image which sends it to the printer.

Mac postscript support is limited to printing from a mac to a NT server
running mac services.

You have a non-windows [nt 95 98] box & want to print postscript
directly to the printer?  You're out of luck... hope it has a PrintGear
driver!  (don't even know if linux or bsd has such a thing)

IMHO this is a severe limitation, & if i had known i probably would've
spent extra $$ & gotten the HP6MP which is a REAL multi-os postscript
printer.  In my research of the printer nowhere did i see this
limitation documented - it all read like it would turn the 870 into a
real postscript printer.

So, lesson learned - i will be returning the postscript option, & only
be able to print from my pc & after i get the network card my mac (it
does have printgear drivers for the mac but only over the network).  I
fear my bsd & linux boxes are SOL (there *may* be a driver for 'em but i
haven't found 'em - a quick dejanews search shows that printgear is a
proprietary language & they haven't released specs or linux/bsd drivers)

to be fair the output of the 870 is real nice & i have had no problems
with it - it would be a great printer if only they actually implemented
what they implied...

still pissed (next time i'll go with HP)

-carl

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fredrik)
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 18:07:50 GMT

Hi!
I'm running RedHat 5.0 on a Pentium 90, 32MB ram. I have an Aztech
SoundGalaxy Wavrider32+ soundcard that refuses to work with Linux.
When I use sndconfig, I can configure the card and I hear the
testsound ok, and everything seems fine. But when I try to play a
wavfile or any other sounds in X, all I hear is digital noise, it
sounds terrible. The card is supposed to be compatible with
Soundblaster, Soundblaster 16 and Soundblaster Pro. I get the same
results with all three in sndconfig.

Last week I installed KDE, but I'm still having the same problem.
Everything else is working ok.

I've only used Linux for a month, so I don't know very much about it.
Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
Fredrik

(My email: [EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Rob O'Connell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: I'm loosing memory!!!
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 13:46:50 -0600

J. S. Jensen wrote:

> "F. Javier Heredia" wrote:
>
> > The problem is that I'm loosing memory when I compile a FORTRAN
> > application. Before the first compilation the output of the "free"
> > command is:
>
> No, you most likely are /not/ loosing your memory (your mind, maybe
> :-).  What is happening is the system is using this memory as a cache
> and buffering all your data into memory, therefore allowing faster use
> of memory vs. disk.

- exactly.....in fact free should be as close as possible to zero - that
means all the system memory is being used more efficiently.

Rob

--
Rob O'Connell - "Work is the curse of the drinking class" - Oscar Wilde
lab#: (608) 2659467 mob#: (608) 3473838 home#: (608) 2519918

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tobias)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: XWindows on a 16MB TNT  :(  no go.
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 21:18:32 GMT

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999 06:47:17 -0800, Shayne Schecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Jan 1999, allacircle wrote:
>> > use startx -- -bpp 32 to start X in 32 bit color
>
>That's funny .. the docs say that the RIVA chips do not support 32 bit
>colour. I just set it for 24 bit and it came up first time ...

sure, the TNT supports also 32bpp, what means:
8bit for Red, 8 for Green and also 8 for Blue. The last 8 bit are for
nothing...

24bpp (packed format without the unused 8bit) should also work.
But I've never tested this.

Tobias

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark H.)
Subject: Re: Banshee
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 19:56:00 GMT

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999 07:14:04 -0600, "David L. Rice"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Not yet, Robert, but I'm looking also. If you find out, could you keep me in
>mind--I'll do the same for you. I'm using a CL 3D Blaster Banshee 16MB. I
>really don't want to go back to my Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM, but it's
>looking like I may have to, at least short term until 3D gains more support
>under Linux.
>
>Cheers,

There is an Xserver for banshee cards thats in the alpha stages.
No real acceleration support yet, but it does work fairly well.
you can find it at :
http://glide.xxedgexx.com/3DfxRPMS_vb_glibc.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Epson vs. HP
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 19:46:37 GMT

Hi there,

I'm trying to take a decision about a cheap home printer.

I used in the past the 600 and 660 HP inkjet printers with decent performance.
Therefore, when I found an attractive offer for a HP697 (150 bucks), I jumped
in. Unfortunately, I was very unpleasantly surprised to find out that these
end-of-series printers suffer from serious mechanical problems. No matter
what paper quality I used (plain or HP inkjet paper), the printer feeds ALWAYS
several pages, a very annoying feature. All 4 printer the seller had in stock
behaved the same.

Consequently, I would like to buy an Epson 640 instead but I have no previous
experience with the Epson printers.

My question is: how reliable are the Stylus printers? Is their mechanics
robust? I need to print mostly B/W texts with occasionally color stuff and I
read that "nothing compares to the HP B/W quality". How good is the B/W
output quality for the Epson printers?

Thank you,

Serban

From: Ralph Pickering <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help with TV tuner.
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 23:31:15 +0000

Salutations.

I have a Hauppauge WinTV PCI card and Redhat Linux 5.1 with a 2.2.0 SMP
kernel. I have the bttv driver compiled in (not as a module), and on
boot it picks up the correct model of card. dmessg |less has the
following...

i2c: initialized
linux video capture interface: v1.00
bttv0: Brooktree Bt878 (rev 2) bus : 0, devfn: 72, irq: 5, memory:
0xe9002000.
bttv: 1 Bt8xx card(s) found.
bttv0: Hauppauge eeprom: tuner=Philips FI1216 MK2 (5)
bttv0: model: BT878(Hauppauge new)
SAA5249 driver (SAA5249 interface) for VideoText version 1.7

What I am unsure of is how to get the /dev/bttv0 device, or /dev/video.
I gather something of that sort is required.

I was thinking of starting an alt. newsgroup to do specifically with
Video for Linux related stuff. It is so difficult to find a single
source for information on setting up video capture and TV (probably
because it is so trivial) but its one more thing that Windows excels at
(sort of anyway - I only had to reinstall once after setting up my
Hauppauge card in 98).

Anyway I just thought I'd throw that out there - see if there is any
kind of a positive response.

------------------------------

From: Johannes Nix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SMC EPIC/100 Network Card doesn't work
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 00:28:24 +0100

We are trying to install a SMP System (Suse 6.0 with 2.0.36 Kernel)
and an SMC epic 100 83C170 Network card.

There exists a module, and the system boots without errors and works
fine. However, even if all network configuration is done, no connections
can be made.
The LEDs of the card are blinking sometimes however.

We tried to set the variable TX_FIFO_TRESH to 128 (Default 256)
in drivers/net/epic100.c
because someone said that there is a problem with the 2.0.36 Kernel.
This does not produce error messages but does not work either.

Does someone knows about problems with the 2.0.36 Kernel ?
Should we try certain variables when loading the module?

Arbeitsgruppe Medizinische Physik
Universität Oldenburg
D-26111 Oldenburg

Germany

Tel.    + 49 441 798-5472
Fax No. + 49 441 798-3698

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vaughan R. Pratt)
Subject: Linux support for CompPro PL G Snap camera
Date: 4 Feb 1999 20:06:16 GMT

Anyone know if there's Linux support for the CompPro PL G Snap camera?
What else besides the Actix Quickcam works in Linux?

Vaughan Pratt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Wertz)
Crossposted-To:
comp.terminals,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.sco.programmer,comp.sys.hp.hpux
Subject: Re: Terminals (sources of used terminals)
Date: 4 Feb 1999 23:39:51 GMT

Bill Vermillion ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
:
: One of the niftiest of the character terminals was the Link MC-10.
: The concept was wonderful, the implementation was about the worst
: of any I've seen.

I always like the MC line (except for the '80').  I thought the only
difference between a 5 and 10 was the fact that you could
add keyboard wedges (card swipers, bar-code readers, wands, etc).
At one point they had to expand BIOS code, and completely
get rid of the calendar and calculator, and the other utility (whatever
that was).

I've been using my MC-5 for about a decade now, but if I turn the contrast up
too high, it startes to wink and fade on me randomly.  Its the only
Link I've seen ever die a natural death.  It may be an MC-3, the
only difference being, what - the exclusion of the extra serial port for
switching between hosts?

The keyboards go for about $110 new, the terminal itself for about $160
or so from Ingram-Micro.  You get your choice of three different keyboards.
I always went with the EPC (AT) keyboards.  So for 8 bucks, I'd buy one
if you see it.  Link is now owned by Wyse or was always heavily affiliated
with them anyway.  When I had an occasion to take a keyboard apart, it
said Wyse all over the inside, and this way befvore Wyse really bought
them out.

What I'd *really* like is some way to use a Wyse or Link keyboard on
my PC's.  Good keyboards are impossible to find anymore, wyse
and link keyboards are everywhere though.  Anybody know how to do
it?  It generates scan-codes I beleive...  I contacted Wyse and they
said it was "impossible".

-sw