Linux-Hardware Digest #846, Volume #9            Fri, 26 Mar 99 18:13:33 EST

Contents:
  Re: 2nd Hard Drive (Darren)
  Re: TV tuner card for Linux (Andrew Daviel)
  Re: Best Data internal modem (was LT Winmodem?) ("Jeff Shultz")
  Voice - email gateway ? (Andrew Daviel)
  Re: Why is Linux "UNIX Like" & tty's (William Burrow)
  Re: PC-TEL HSP 33.6k Modem (Lew Pitcher)
  Help........ Can't play audio CDs. ("Chris Chau")
  Re: USB support under linux (Timothy Litwiller)
  linux & eicon diva isdn ("MB")
  Re: PC-TEL HSP 33.6k Modem (Mircea)
  Re: Suspend to Disk on Toshiba 300CT? (Kevin Fenzi)
  RS 232 <--> RJ45 ??? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  ES 1938 sound card (Panajotis Karajannis)
  Best Machine hareware out there? (Greg Smethells)
  Re: Multi-channel soundcard for Linux (Erik de Castro Lopo)
  Fujitsu Dynamo 640SE works for linux! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How to compile Kernel 2.2.2 with redhat 5.2??? ("Bob Kochis")
  Help: HP 35480 Tape drive not working ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux on Compaq ProLian 1850R - any luck? ("C. David Wilde")
  Re: CDRecord (CompWiz)
  Memory - 16MB Limit??? (Dan Doyon)

From: Darren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2nd Hard Drive
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 13:14:29 -0600

I logged in as root and tried chmod 775 on the directory, but nothing
happens.  It doesn't change the permissions.

Darren

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Daviel)
Subject: Re: TV tuner card for Linux
Date: 26 Mar 1999 19:46:19 GMT

Robert Steindl ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Rusty Lingenfelter wrote:
: >
: > Tim Keith wrote:
: >
: > > Which TV tuner card is best supported for Linux?
: > >

The Zoltrix cards may also work; I had one for $99 wired for tuner/composite/
s-video inputs; tuner sound on a jack, not through the chip.

Note - the Bt848 and similar chips support 4 composite video inputs
plus one chroma. With appropriate connectors you can switch between
4 composite video, or 3 composite video and 1 S-video, or 3 video and
one TV-tuner etc.

Not all boards connect all the Bt848 inputs. I recently had a Hauppauge Win-TV
which only connects one composite video and 1 tuner; it uses the
backpanel space for two audio jacks. I added a couple of 0.1uf chip
capacitors and 75R terminator resistors and phono jacks to give
3 composite video input plus TV; I may unhook the tuner and allow 4 video,
or build/buy some kind of external video multiplexer to switch more than 4.
I gather that some commercial units allow up to 16 inputs with switch/PinP/
montage and RS232 control, but a bit pricy.
You need to enhance the card type selector
code in the bttv driver to enable the extra multiplexer inputs - not
too tricky, really - mail me if interested.

--
Deniable unless digitally signed
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada

------------------------------

From: "Jeff Shultz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.misc
Subject: Re: Best Data internal modem (was LT Winmodem?)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:56:16 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999 10:01:15 -0800, Tommy Willoughby wrote:
:>
:>If it worked under Win3.1 it's a "real" modem & should work fine under
:>Linux.

Don't be the house on it... remember RPI?

Jeff Shultz
http://www.netcom.com/~jbshultz
Here an OS, there an OS... I need more computers.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Daviel)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Voice - email gateway ?
Date: 26 Mar 1999 20:12:13 GMT

Is there some voice-email gateway software for Linux ?

I have read a little bit of the docs for ZyXel and vgetty, but
am not sure if these packages will do what I want out of the box.

I wish to have email to a certain address, or with certain content,
forwarded to a voice telephone or old-style numeric pager.
Some of these emails may be generated automatically in a certain format,
and it may be feasible to use a custom gateway, i.e. the gateway recognizes
the message format and plays a certain pre-recorded message, but it may
be nice to allow rsynth or play MIME attachments of .au or .wav
sound.

Typical use would be as follows:

Some event happens somewhere in the world (system switch
to UPS, tripwire failure, router flap, intrusion detect etc.)

Messaging software sends email to appropriate list.
Messaging software sends email to voice gateway
Voice gateway dials voice line. User hears message, with
"press 1 to repeat" etc.
Voice gateway sends numeric code to numeric pager
Pager user dials back gateway, retrieves message.

I'm pretty certain that the zyxel software from
http://www.pe1chl.demon.nl/ZyXEL/ can deal with the last bit (voice
mailbox), and I saw reference to some code to translate
some ADPCM formats to play on /dev/audio, at least for ZyXel
modems, but I'm not so sure about the other way (.wav to ADPCM),
or controlling the modem to dial out with voice, although it
all sounds doable.

Has someone already done it ?

My cursory Web search didn't turn up anything other than
Rob  Janssen's zyxel package and vgetty

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William Burrow)
Subject: Re: Why is Linux "UNIX Like" & tty's
Date: 26 Mar 1999 19:57:20 GMT

On Thu, 25 Mar 1999 20:09:06 -0600,
Keith Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> I often hear Linux called a UNIX "like" OS.  Why is it not just a
>> UNIX OS like
>> SCO, HP-UX, AIX, SunOS, etc.?  Is it a copyright thing or is there a more
>
>Ya,  it is a copyright thing.  You must pay AT&T some hard cash for
>the privilege of calling your OS Unix.

Technically speaking, it is a *trademark* thing.  The distinction is
there and somewhat different from a copyright thing (copyright would
not protect the word ``UNIX,'' trademark can; copyright protects the
source code).

As for the other author's problem with ttys, visit the HOWTOs at:

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/

--
William Burrow  --  New Brunswick, Canada             o
Copyright 1999 William Burrow                     ~  /\

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: PC-TEL HSP 33.6k Modem
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 19:04:00 GMT

As an aside, I've found that some retailers don't know the difference
between the terms "Plug-and-play" (PnP) and "WinModem". One vendor told
me that a modem was "Plug-and-play", and when I asked if it was a "WinModem",
his response was that it is "plug and play".

I had to explain that a PnP modem might not be a WinModem, and that although
I would never buy a WinModem from him, I *might* buy a PnP modem from him.

He looked over the modem again, and then admitted that it was indeed a "WinModem".
;-)

Lew Pitcher
System Consultant, Integration Solutions Architecture
Toronto Dominion Bank

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: "Chris Chau" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help........ Can't play audio CDs.
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 04:13:04 +0800

I am using the Redhat 5.2 package and the Enlightenment 0.15.4 window
manager. Recently I did upgrade my kernel to 2.2.4, everything is satisfy
with the new kernel, except that i can't play the audio CDs any more. It
seens no problem with the sound card or the cd rom. I can play the .wav file
and use the cd rom drive normally, also the cd player may play a audio cd
with no error message, but i can't hear anything ........
Does anyone know how to solve this problem, please send me a message
directly, thank you.

Chris

------------------------------

From: Timothy Litwiller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: USB support under linux
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 09:11:08 -0600

Grant wrote:

> In article <7ct0s9$iap$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron Saikovski"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Does linux support the USB peripheral connection type or is it just a win98
> > thing?
>
> Aaron,
>
> Support isn't built into the kernel at the moment, but there are patches
> available if you want to tinker with it and the plan is to have it
> integrated into the 2.2.x kernel source tree as soon as things stabilize.
> Interestingly, alot of work is being done by the LinuxPPC guys to
> integrate the stuff into the VGER branch of the kernel, given that it runs
> on the iMac which is entirely USB-based for it's peripherals.  I've got an
> Entrega USB PCI card here at home in my beige G3 Desktop Mac and it
> detects with a suitably patched kernel.  I just haven't bothered to add a
> /dev/ entry for the mouse etc.
>
> What in particular were you wanting to run on the USB?  A camera?
> Something else?
>
> Grant

most of all I would like to access my USB zip drive.

------------------------------

From: "MB" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux & eicon diva isdn
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 19:49:31 +0100

Can anyone explain me how i can install and configure my isdn card. (EICON
DIVA 2) I have kernel 2.2.4 with support for isdn install, but i don't know
what to do next. (i could figure out the faq's and stuff)

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 14:10:05 -0500

Cristian-

HSP is for "Host Signal Processing" - the functions of a modem are
emulated in software. The so-called "modem" they sold you is merely a
analog-to-digital converter that interfacea your PCI bus to the phone
line. And the spacifications are proprietary and nondisclosed.
It won't work in Linux.

MST

------------------------------

From: Kevin Fenzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Suspend to Disk on Toshiba 300CT?
Date: 26 Mar 1999 12:38:38 -0700

H> [Please Cc: me on any reply since I'm out of town with limited
H> bandwidth at the moment.]

[ ok ]

H> Hi all,

H> Does anyone here have sucessfully configured suspend to disk on a
H> Toshiba Protege 300CT notebook?  I have looked all over for various
H> utilities, and cannot find one that does it.  I don't have Windoze
H> on this notebook (Linux being my OS of choice), so I haven't ben
H> able to try out any Windoze-based utilities, although I have tried
H> all the DOS-based ones I can find.

I have a portege 300ct. Typing on it now. As far as I know there isnt
even a windows based suspend to disk. :(
I don't have windows on here now, but when I did I poked around and it
could only do Sleep and Standby.

It does have an extra 8 hour sleep battery tho, so even if you are
totally out of juice, you can sleep it (apm -s) and have 8 hours to
get to a power plug.

I have been meaning to try the totally kernel software based suspend
to disk patch on it, but haven't had time.

It's a sweet little machine tho. I love mine.

Only drawbacks are the stupid winmodem (which I ignore) and the irda
not (yet) supported.

Oh, one more tip I just figured out:

when booting, hold down esc, and then hit f1 when it asks you...
that takes you into the bios screen. Not documented anywhere in the
manuels and such. ;(

H>      -hpa

kevin
--
Kevin Fenzi
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RS 232 <--> RJ45 ???
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 09:58:54 GMT

Hi all,  I was just wondering anyone knows how can I convert my laptop RS 232
port to work as a RJ 45, so that I can connect it to my linux network?
Perhaps, building a converter device?? I really don't want to spend the extra
money to buy a modem PCMCIA card for it. Anyone has any idea? Any info is
greatly appreciated. Thanks.

p/s: please cc a reply to my email ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] ). Thanks.

CH Ng

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Panajotis Karajannis)
Subject: ES 1938 sound card
Date: 26 Mar 1999 20:23:22 GMT

Hi
I have an ES1938 PCI sound card and I heard that I can configure it as Sound
Blaster under Linux. However I don't know what IRQ and I/O settings to give.
Under Win 95 I have 2 related drivers:

ES 1938 DOS emulation I/0 0220-022F,0388-038B,0330-0331 DMA 1

ES 1938 PCI Audio Drive IRQ 5  I/O C400-C40F,C800-C80F,CC00-CC0F,D000-D003

Thanks for any help
Panos

------------------------------

From: Greg Smethells <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Best Machine hareware out there?
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 20:35:55 +0000

What is the best hardware out there for a single cpu, eide set-up?

Greg Smethells

------------------------------

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.audio.pro
Subject: Re: Multi-channel soundcard for Linux
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 08:36:34 +1100

Bill Gribble wrote:

Hi Bill,

> I *do* run a studio (a small one, mainly album/ep projects for friends
> and word-of-mouth clients, but it makes enough money to pay for itself
> and satisfy my equipment habit) and I wouldn't use anything else but
> Linux despite the shortcomings of available software for editing and
> multitrack recording.
>
> Right now I am all analog up to the final mixdown stage.  At that
> point, I go into a Symetrix 620 A/D converter, then a Digi32 s/pdif
> card, straight onto my Linux machine's hard drive.  I record using the
> program 'brec', which has zero user interface but always gets every
> byte onto the hard drive with no errors glitches or dropouts.
>
> I do basic editing using 'xwave', which is a terrible, terrible
> program but allows me to graphically trim starts and finishes of
> recorded takes.
>
> I use 'sox' to normalize the data and/or convert formats if necessary.
> Again no interface but reliable operation and incredibly flexible
> selection of operations on the audio file.
>
> I use 'cdrdao' to burn disk-at-once CD-Rs of audio data, or 'cdrecord'
> to make track-at-once and data CDs.  I can make normal ISO-9660 CDs or
> Macintosh HFS cds, and I can write the audio in any format I choose.
> The mastering place I like to use is all Macintosh and they can't deal
> with anything but Macintosh AIFF or proprietary formats on Macintosh
> HFS cds.  No problem.  And it NEVER, EVER crashes or causes me to lose
> data.  Linux is my "swiss army chainsaw".  I would never use anything
> else.
>
> ARE YOU LISTENING, AUDIO SOFTWARE HOUSES?

Well, I'm listening. I have a bit of a fantasy of writing a mutlitrack
recorder/editor under Linux. As you can probably imagine, this is a
rather
big project and needs to be split up into more managable chunks. To this
end I've started written a library to read and write sound files. You
can
find it here :

        http://www.zip.com.au/~erikd/libsndfile/

This library already supports reading and writing audio files of more
than
16 bits.

I have to agree with you that xwave is very, very raw. I was hoping for
something better than that on my very first release. Anyway, as someone
who would actually be using a program like this professionally, I'd like
to hear your opinions on what features you'd like in a program like
this. I have a fairly good idea as I have seen a Fairlight MFX3+ (very
high end Australian system) in operation. It would also be helpful is
you could prioritize the feature list.

Cheers,
Erik
     Erik de Castro Lopo     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"... the industrial-capitalist mode of software production
was doomed to be outcompeted from the moment capitalism
began to create enough of a wealth surplus for many
programmers to live in a post-scarcity gift culture."
-- Eric S. Raymond

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Fujitsu Dynamo 640SE works for linux!
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 20:38:13 GMT

www.erlangen.netsurf.de/linux-
> mo/
> >   (thanks for the hint :-) )
>
> Yes, I used that FDISK.

Hi,

I like to thank you all for your help and experience sharing.  The MO drive
just arrived yesterday.  After making a stupid mistake(pluging in "SCSI IN"
instead of "SCSI OUT"), everything goes well.  Here is the report of my
experience. First I got the patch for 2.0.36 from

http://www.erlangen.netsurf.de/linux-mo/

and apply it without problem.  After rebooting and having MO been identified,
then I try both approaches: (1)using fdisk to create a linux native partition
and (2) directly mke2fs it.

I was using the modified fdisk from the same site above, then

fdisk -b 2048 /dev/sda

The output was quite messy.  I just deleted all existing(?) partitions then
create a new one.  As some posts mentioned, it seems to only have 152 "MB",
but actualy if you read the output carefully you will see:

Disk /dev/sda: 64 heads, 32 sectors, 152 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2048 * 2048 bytes

So 152*2048*2048=608MB,  I was at first fooled by the number of 152, then
realized the modified fdisk does work!  Also don't forget the -b 2048 option
which is not available for original fdisk command.

Then mke2fs -m 0 -b 2048 /dev/sda1.  Now you got it.

Some interesting test shows: if I partitioned it, then format it, I'll get
602.9MB free space, but only 601.1MB free available if I directly format it
without partitioning first.  I don't know why.

The DIP switch on the back of MO drive is set to HD Mode(vs. MO Mode), all
other options are set to off except termination(Thanks to g.y.).  I only
played with HD/MO mode, but there is no big difference.  Has anybody succeed
with other options?

Performance is quite satisfied for me.  I use

time dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=16k count=1024

to create a 16MB test file, then read it by

time dd of=test if=/dev/null bs=16

to test the speed. The read speed is about 1.7MB/sec ~ 3.0MB/sec, and write
speed is 0.4MB/s ~ 0.7MB/sec.  The plain rewritable MO disk is used.  Will
some MO users provide your performance experience with "rewritable" disk or
"directe overwrite" disk?  Thank you in advance.

I hope this can help the use of MO a little bit.

Puck

From: "Bob Kochis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How to compile Kernel 2.2.2 with redhat 5.2???
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 22:17:09 GMT

Andy Johnstone,
I have been having similar problems with RH5.2 kernel stuff and a nice
person at RedHat sent me these links.
MOST Helpful !!!

http://charlotte.redhat.com/support/docs/rhl/kernel-upgrade/kernel-upgrade.h
tml

For more general information on the kernel:

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html
http://www.linuxhq.com/
http://www.tux.org/lkml/faq.html

Thanks,
Bob Kochis

Andy Johnstone wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I've also had this.  it said, loading linux and reboot immediatly.  If you
DO

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Help: HP 35480 Tape drive not working
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 21:12:52 GMT

HP 35480 DAT Tape drive not working with Linux  2.0.34.

I've hooked up my DAT tape drive that I had on the shelf
awhile and it reads tapes fine but when I write using TAR
if seems as if it is writing fine and the tape lights show it's
writing but when I read the tape it has on it what was on it
before I wrote to it.  The only error I get from the messages
file is:

Mar 26 14:01:47 radiant kernel: st0: Error with sense data: extra data not
valid Current error st09:00: sense key Illegal Request

I tried dd and cpio to no avail and also change parameters using
mt.  Any ideas

Much appreciated
-Steve

From: "C. David Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux on Compaq ProLian 1850R - any luck?
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 13:47:13 -0800

We have several 1850R's here, and I have never seen one of the embedded netowrk
cards on them work.  All of our systems are running NT, and we have added PCI
10/100 NIC's to them because NT will not see the embeded for shit, and as much
as I hate to say it, it is a pretty brainless operation to get NT to see a NIC,
unlike linux.  My advice is to get a PCI NIC and disable the POS that comes on
the board.

Dave

BTW - Can you get the link light on the front of the box to come on??  I can by
going into the F10 setup.  The light will turn on, but as soon as you reboot it
will turn off again.  Beats the hell out of me.  If anyone knows let me know.
Thanks

------------------------------

From: CompWiz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: CDRecord
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 17:12:16 -0500

You should know from Windows cdcopy software packages that the only way to
get rid of the 2-second delay between tracks is to use the disc-at-once
method of writing the CD. while this means you cannot record anymore after
that, it eliminates the pause.

Martin Booth wrote:

> Dear Folks,
>
> I'm trying to copy a audio CD and having a bit of grief with it. When I
> record it records well but it puts a slight pause between the tracks and
> on this CD the tracks merge.
>
> The commands I use are:
> to read:
> cdparanoia -pB "1-" -d /dev/rwcdrom
> to write: (testing it on a RW CD)
> cdrecord -blank=fast -audio -eject -v -speed=2 track*.cdda.raw
> The CD Writer is a Yamaha CRW4260
>
> cdparanoia: cdparanoia III alpha prerelease 9.4 (December 16, 1998)
> Cdrecord release 1.6.1
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Martin Booth.
> P.S. In case of E-mail remove the nospam.

Ari Pollak           -  CompWiz
Friday, March 26, 1999 - up for 25 hour(s) as of 12 AM
You will never be younger than you are today..
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  -  http://www.compwiz.nu
ICQ #749825          -  AOL IM: NJCompWiz

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:46:23 -0500
From: Dan Doyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Memory - 16MB Limit???

I just recently installed Caldera's 1.3 (2.0.35 Kernal) and noticed that
Linux
is only recognizing 16MB.   What to do?

I have an IBM Aptiva 350Mhz with 64MB.