Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 18:18:39 +0300
From: "Khalid M. Baheyeldin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP Colorado 2.5/5GB IDE Tape Drive

This is to report that the HP Colorado 2.5/5GB Internal tape drive
does indeed work with Linux.

Thsi drive has an IDE interface, and was jumpered for being the
Master on the Secondary IDE channel (the CD-ROM Drive is a slave
on the same IDE channel.)

Some details:

Hardware:

- Pentium II 333Mhz (66MHz bus/memory)
- Taiwanese mother board with LX chipset

Software:
- Red Hat Linux 5.1
- Upgraded kernel to 2.0.36 (you need the kernel-headers
  and kernel-source RPMs)

Used tar, cpio and dd. They all work well. I wrote files
to the drive and read them back and verified them by
comparing to the original files.

Speed:
 The drive is capable of 500 KB per second, as measured
 using "time" command and 'dd' command to write data to the
 drive and read it back (includes rewind of the tape, so
 could be faster if no rewind is done.)

The tape is fairly inexpensive (200 US$ in local market
in Saudi Arabia), and the media is 28 US$ each).

The instructions that came with the tape are very
good, and helps you installing the tape successfully
on the first attempt. There is no guess work involved.

Thanks to those who advised the kernel upgrade.

Regards
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin

------------------------------

From: Valentin Mayer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with Tekram DC390F and SYM53c8xxx-driver
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 15:47:33 +0200

Hi there,

of course I checked my hardware settings and as I wrote it doesn't work
even with the HD as the only device at the end of the wide bus (of
course jumpered termination enabled). The problem was that only with the
Linux driver(s) the mentioned errors arise but with w95 everything seems
to work properly. The cable I'm using is the one that came with the
adaptor so I think it's ok but this will be the next thing I'm gonna
check.

Regards, Valentin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ewald Pfau)
Subject: Q: pcmcia-3.0.8 for kernel 2.2.x and MO-drive
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 18:49:01 +0200

Finally I'd like to access with kernel 2.2.7+ a MO-drive with 640 MByte
media in blocks of 2048-bytes, using card-services for SCSI. But this
seems a long way to go.

When pcmcia is running, so I am only able to access 150 MB on the media.
I upgraded amongst others fileutils and pcmcia. So fdisk runs fine and
announces 606 MBytes. But none of mkfs.minix nor mkfs.ext2 not
mkfs.msdos will do what they should. Either I only get 150 MBytes (looks
like the relation 512:2048 bytes per block; the relation remains as well
when partitioning only 512 MBytes, so I saw 128 Mbytes only) - or mount
would refuse to mount the partition. Mount would as well refuse a
partition, already formatted to fat with the fujitsu tool running under
DOS, or it would tell me that this is an ext2 partition with 150
MBytes.

But this was with pcmcia-3.0.6 and kernel 2.1.131. SuSe Linux with
kernel 2.0.36 comes with pcmcia-3.0.6 up and running (and no support for
2048 bytes/block). I could migrate to 2.1.131 as is distrubuted by SuSe
together with the 2.0.36 kernel. Pcmcia works then under 2.1.131. For
the following output, I put in some few more 'echo's into the pcmcia
script so to show what exactly is loaded - neither pcmcia_core.o nor
i82365.o have additional parameters:

(running on a Compaq Armada 7730 which looks pretty stable for linux
since some PCI-bus quirks seem to having been solved since kernel
2.0.34)

========
Starting PCMCIA services: modules -
/lib/modules/2.1.131/pcmcia/pcmcia_core.o

Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.0.6
  kernel build: 2.1.131 unknown
/lib/modules/2.1.131/pcmcia/i82365.o

Intel PCIC probe:
  TI 1131 PCI-to-CardBus at bus 0 slot 12, mem 0x7fffe000, 2 sockets
    host opts [0]: [pci + serial irq] [pci irq 11] [lat 66/176] [bus
1/1]
    host opts [1]: [pci + serial irq] [pci irq 11] [lat 66/176] [bus
2/2]
    ISA irqs (scanned) = 3,4,7,9,10,15 status change on irq 15
/lib/modules/2.1.131/pcmcia/ds.o
 cardmgr.

cardmgr[63]: starting, version is 3.0.8
cardmgr[63]: watching 2 sockets
cardmgr[63]: Card Services release does not match!
cs: IO port probe 0x1000-0x17ff: clean.
cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff: excluding 0x100-0x107 0x220-0x22f
0x250-0x257
0x270-0x277 0x330-0x337 0x378-0x37f 0x388-0x38f 0x408-0x40f 0x4d0-0x4d7
cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean.
cardmgr[63]: initializing socket 1
cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: clean.
cardmgr[63]: socket 1: Adaptec APA-1460 SlimSCSI
cardmgr[63]: executing: 'insmod
/lib/modules/2.1.131/pcmcia/aha152x_cs.o'
aha152x: processing commandline: ok

========

So the above scenario works for pcmcia access. I can as well leave out
the pcmcia script when booting and invoke it manually while linux is
running for start and stop.

Then I compiled pcmcia 3.0.8 for kernel 2.2.4, then kernel 2.2.7. But
when loading the i82365.o module, the machine would crash in a solid
way
- no ctl-alt-del; sometimes the clock had changed to november 2099 or to
1980 after the crash. This can be done explicit without the above
script: insmod pcmcia_core (ok), then insmod i82365.o (crash).

So I compiled pcmcia 3.0.6 for kernel 2.1.132 with the same result. I
used the version which is distributed with SuSe and which contains a
patch and additional modules.

Someone has an idea what happens here and how to continue?

This is the pcmcia-3.0.6 config.mk:

========
LINUX=/usr/src/linux
PREFIX=
MODDIR=/lib/modules/2.1.132
CC=gcc
LD=ld
PCDEBUG=
# UNSAFE_TOOLS is not defined
CONFIG_CARDBUS=y
CONFIG_NEW_PROBE=y

# Configured manually
# CONFIG_SMP is not defined
CONFIG_MAX_MEMSIZE=1024
CONFIG_PCI=y
CONFIG_APM=y
CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_INET=y
# CONFIG_IPV6 is not defined
# CONFIG_NET_RADIO is not defined
# CONFIG_TR is not defined
# CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is not defined
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_PCMCIA is not defined
# CONFIG_ALPHA_LCA is not defined
CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
ARCH=i586
AFLAGS=
# CONFIG_ISA=y

MFLAG=-DMODVERSIONS -include ../include/linux/modversions.h
UTS_RELEASE=2.1.132
UTS_VERSION=#1 Sat May 1 02:07:50 MEST 1999
LINUX_VERSION_CODE=131460

NEW_QLOGIC=y
HAS_PROC_BUS=y
DO_IDE=y
# FIX_AHA152X is not defined
RC_DIR=/etc/rc.d
SYSV_INIT=y
INSTALL_DEPMOD=y
# HAS_FORMS=y
========

Here I commented out the HAS_FORMS and the CONFIG_ISA line, but it
crashes with those lines active or not (with the same change to the
config.out file). I had as well the CONFIG_MAX_MEMSIZE set to 32 (for 32
Mbytes) with no change.

------------------------------

From: Randy Heineke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is there a 3D video card...
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 15:20:09 +0000

Michael Meissner wrote:

> Randolph Heineke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I am looking for a video card that can accelerate 1600x1200@85Hz with
> > 24-32bpp in 3D that  has XFree86 drivers.  As far as I can tell:
> >
> > G200                        -( Matrox Millenia)  can't do it at 85 Hz
> > TNT                         -does not have 24-32bpp support in XFree86
>
> Huh?  I'm using 3.3.3.1 of the SVGA server on a Diamond 550 PCI card, and I'm
> definately running 1600x1200 32bpp 82Mhz (couldn't quite get 85Mhz, and I don't
> remember whether the card or my Nokia monitor topped out).
>
> --
> Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
> 174 Littleton Road #3-198
> Westford, Massachusetts 01886
> email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]      fax: 978-692-4482

  Michael, thank you for your reply.  I have seen some claims that the  Viper 550
can indeed operate 1600x1200@85Hz in 24 or 32 bpp with 3D acceleration with
XFree86.
However when I look at the XFree86 3.3.3.1 release notes under the TNT chipset
section they claim that 24bpp is not supported.  So I wonder several things.

1. Is the XFree86 documentation lagging the distribution?
2. Is there 32bpp but not 24bpp support?
3. How can you tell  one if they are indeed using 16 million colors?
4. Did you really mean 82Hz not 82MHz? ;-)

From: Charles Pouliot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Newbie--3c509b can't recognize
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 04:37:09 GMT

When I installed linux on a Gateway 486 with 3c509b, I didn't have any
problem, but the installation disks warned that 3c509b may not get
autodetected properly (Debian linux) and suggested that if I had problems, to
recompile the kernel with explicitly indicating a 3c509b, and not to
autoprobe/autodetect.  Is that what you did when you say you redid the
kernel?

--
Charles Pouliot
Computing & Information Science Major

From: "Erik" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why can't I mount my SCSI HD with win98 partition?
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 18:10:37 +0200

wcc heeft geschreven in bericht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>Hi!
>
>I have 2 SCSI HDs.  I use the 2nd HD (1GB, sdb1, sdb2) to install the
linux.  And
>the first (4.3GB, sda1) win98 FAT32.
>
>How to mount the 1st HD on my linux?  I use the order:
>
> mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /fat
>
>But the system did not recognize it.  How can I do? Help me thx a lot!

Assuming /fat (you do have a directory /fat right?) is a symbolic link to
/mnt/dos you should do:
  mount /dev/sda1 -t vfat /fat        (notice the difference)

Regards,
  Erik Akkermans

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Panteltje)
Subject: Got The Bullet Etech E56K external running V90 at 486 DX 2 66 without packet
loss (how i did it).
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 99 12:44:04 GMT

Bought external, as advised in this group.

However severe packet loss (about 20 %) resulted (ifconfig)
To cure the problem I did the following:
Bought a serial card with a 16550A UART. (shop around,
I bought mine form PC doc overtoom Amsterdam, for about 19 $).
test your UART version with setserial -a /dev/cua3.
Install the program irqtune (free available from:
http://www.best.com/~cae/irqtune).
Set it for highest priority on irq 3 (com 4, cua3)
(I still have my old 14k4 internal on com 2, just for experimenting).
Set hdparm -u 1 for the hard disk you are running.
I had to stop any running wav files (via play, or else reboot after the thing
crashed, so be VERY careful with the -u option, file system corruption may
occur).

Here is the result of my last V90 connection:
at&v1
TERMINATION REASON.......... RETRAIN FAILURE
LAST TX rate................ 28800 BPS
HIGHEST TX rate............. 28800 BPS
LAST RX rate................ 49333 BPS
HIGHEST RX rate............. 49333 BPS
PROTOCOL.................... LAPM
COMPRESSION................. V42Bis
Line QUALITY................ 127
Rx LEVEL.................... 018
Highest Rx State............ 67
Highest TX State............ 84
EQM Sum..................... 00A3
Min Distance................ 0000
RBS Pattern................. 00
Rate Drop................... 00
Digital Loss................ 2000
Local Rtrn Count............ 00
Remote Rtrn Count........... 00
Flex 9481814347E4

This last line does not indicate the connection was Flex, you can see it
was v90 from the 49333 BPS line (one of the v90 speeds).
This 49333 is also is an indication for the line speed / quality possible,
this seems to be all I can get (out in the wild here).
I think that on this session ifconfig reported 2 packets lost, this normally
does not happen.

This is the irqtune setting in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1:
/root/compile/irqtune/irqtune/sbin/irqtune 3

This is the hdparm setting in /etc/rc.d/rc.S:
/usr/sbin/hdparm -c 3 -m 16

This is the connect script:
NOTE hdparm -u 1 is set here, and hdparm -u 0 in the disconnect script!!!!
Just in case, I do not want to mess up my 6.8G hdb again.
For the same reason any sound playing is stopped.
Also note, since I used different ISP's, named is rebooted with a different
ini file, this is not relevant to the subject however.

killall play
hdparm -u 1 /dev/hdb
pidof named | xargs kill -s KILL
named -b /etc/named.boot.de
/usr/sbin/pppd connect ' /usr/sbin/chat -t 45 -v \
ABORT DIALTONE ABORT BUSY ABORT DELAYED "" \
"ATZ" OK \
"AT+MS=12,1,34667,56000" OK \
"ATW1" OK \
"ATM0" OK \
"ATDT99999999" CONNECT \
"" login: \
USERNAME word: \
PASSWORD Protocol: \
ppp HELLO ""' \
/dev/cua3 115200 debug crtscts modem \
defaultroute noipdefault passive persist

On some files, 115200 baudrate is not enough, even my 14k4 needs it.
So a faster serial port or internal PCI perhaps?
This would require a different xtal in the serial port card, not sure the
modem can cope though.

Finally of cause I could have bought a pentium 3 with all the other stuff,
but this 486 has been serving me very well over the years, and now I have
some money for a holiday.
J.

------------------------------

From: "Paul S. Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RealTek RTL 8029 PCI Ethernet Driver
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 14:11:33 +0100

Moe Koenig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If nothing helps I suggest you search Altavista for "RTL 8029
> RealTek", I found a working driver for my RTL8139 (100mbit) that way.
> You will have to browse through some pages through, I got like 2 Pages
> full of black-hits and on the third one the driver.
> You might also want to try searching for rtl8029.c directly, might
> find you the driver quicker.

> Good luck!

The RTL8029 is supported by the PCI NE2000 driver and, to a lesser
extent by the ISA NE2000 driver.

Both of these are in the standard Kernel.

Paul
--
Paul S. Brown                   +        E-Mail   : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Technical Director              |        Telephone: +44 (0) 1296 480 021

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: How do you know if you have a WinModem?
Date: 02 May 1999 09:34:24 PDT

I can't seem to get my modem working in Linux 2.0 (RedHat 5.2) and
2.2.5.  I simply get no response from an 'at' command.    I configured
/dev/ttyS2 with the parameters from Windows 98 using 'setserial'.

I'm suspecting it's because it's WinModem-based.  The card uses the PCI
slot.  The file, /proc/pci, sees a Cirrus Logic modem but says it's an
unknown device.

How do you know if the internal modem in your PC is a WinModem?  The
manual that came with my PC doesn't say anything about this.  This is
the diagnostics I get back from Windows 98 in Modem Properties.

Port: COM3
Installed: Cirrus CLM Data Fax Voice

When I select COM3 and click on the "More Info..." button, I get:

Port: COM3
Interrupt: 5
Address: E800
UART: NS 16550AN
Highest Speed: 115K Baud

Cirrus CLM Data Fax Voice
  Identifier: PCI\VEN_1013&DEV_4000&SUBSYS_0000000 ... (seems to be
truncated)

Command    Response
ATI1            000
ATI2            OK
ATI3            CL-MD5620DT-QC-BC
ATI4            OK
ATI5            32K DSP RAM Present, Upgradable to 56K
ATI5            002
ATI5            Host I/F: PCI
ATI5            DSP Code Location: Internal ROM
ATI6            US
ATI7            Cirrus Logic, Inc.
AT+FCLASS=?    0,1,8

-Steven

------------------------------

From: jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How do you know if you have a WinModem?
Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 12:44:47 -0400

See if your modem is listed here, and what it says about it:

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

-jason

(to reply via email, make the appropriate substitution in my email address)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.rpm,nl.comp.os.linux,nl.comp.os.linux.installat
Subject: Re: Gnome Help !
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 14:04:57 +0200

It was the Fri, 30 Apr 1999 19:24:00 +0200...
..and John van der Zanden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Unpacked all gnome packages without serious problems, but what to do now ??
> the manual says this
>
> To start gnome, you must edit the X startup files. (which one and how ?)
> a sample x startup file using gnome-session follows:
> #!/bin/bash
> exec gnome-session
> ## end sample
> the default Gnome session configuratio file is
> /usr/share/gnome/default.session. The user gnome session is
> $HOME/.gnome/session.
>
> All nice and well, but what must i do ? I dont have any clue what this all
> means as i am a NEWBIE !!
> Which file must i edit and what should i put in it ??

Simple. It's .xinitrc in your home directory, or .xsession if you are
using xdm, gdm or kdm.

Change the line which says "exec <my-window-manager>" to "exec
gnome-session". Make sure your Gnome directory is in your PATH. Then
everything should work out just fine.

mawa
--
If Jessie don't like it,
It don't get no funds.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DLucido)
Subject: Re: Sound on a Compaq Deskpro EP
Date: 2 May 1999 12:50:34 GMT

The ESS uses the SoundBlaster Chipset.  You would be best off using Sound
Blaster or 100% Compatible.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 02 May 1999 10:59:24 -0700
From: Kyle Dansie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Iomega ZIP + kernel 2.2.6

Matjaz Terpin wrote:

> Hi!
>
> For the first time I tried to install an internal IDE Iomega ZIP 100
> into an Mandrake 5.3 system running on kernel 2.2.6.
> The kernel recognizes the ZIP (I think I configured it right by enabling
> the IDE floppy driver)

I am not so sure about that. I think the zip drive looks more like an
ide hard disk to the kernel.

> and I can read the ZIP. I can even mount it.
> The problem is writing to the ZIP - I get lots of IO errors when I
> try to do that.
>
> I can run cat /dev/hdd > /dev/null without any problems, but I
> get tons of IO error messages when I run cat /dev/zero > /dev/hdd.
>
> I did try the ZIP drive on another system runing Wintendo95 and it
> worked fine. The Mandrake box seems to work OK, so I think I screwed
> up the software instalation. Does anyone have any idea what am I
> missing?
> TIA!
>
>    Matjaz
>
> PS.: please [b]cc me also.

Is your drive really ide or is it atapi. There are notes on both in the
HOWTO.

Good Luck,
Kyle
Linux Rules     Iomega Zip Drive Mini - HOWTO
-
http://njtcom.com/dansie/zip-drive.html
                    or
http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/ZIP-Drive.html

From: Paul Burry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ZoomAir wireless 802.11 ethernet
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 16:31:25 GMT

Has anyone been able to make the ZoomAir wireless ethernet ISA and
PCMCIA cards work with Linux?

Any and all experiences and advice are welcomed.

From: Paul Hem <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Open Linux 2.2 ISDN Motorola Bitsufer ProEZ and LavaLink
Date: 2 May 1999 16:45:15 GMT

Hi,

Can anyone walk me through setting up my BitsurferPro EZ ISDN with my
LavaLink 650 ISA ( now called LavaPort 650) with Caldera's Open Linux
2.2?