From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Q. printers canon bcj80  brother mp21
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 09:46:47 -0700

==============E5688C765A8A441156F579AB

HI,

check here

http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/#2

Andrey

--

== System Development & Support Systems ============================
Andrey Vlassov                          Phones: +1-(604)-482-5792

==============E5688C765A8A441156F579AB

HI,
HREF="http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/#2">http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/pht/#2</A>
supported under linux
or IBM
laptop

============================
Vlassov</font>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 Phones: +1-(604)-482-5792
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 +1-(604)-482-5791
E-Mail: <a
href="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 Home:&nbsp;&nbsp; +1-(604)-294-6653
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <a
href="mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</a>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 Pager:&nbsp; <a href="http://www.bctm.com/bc/paging/pagsend.htm">+1-(604)-473-1754
</a>====================================================================</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

==============E5688C765A8A441156F579AB==

------------------------------

From: "Uffe Heerfordt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help NEEDED!!!!   PCMCIA !.......  PLEASE take a look..
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 18:40:09 +0200

Hi..

I'm trying to install a Acorp A100PC 10/100Mbit PCMCIA card on my 6.2Redhat
with no luck..... Please help...

Cheers
Uffe Heerfordt

------------------------------

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: motherboard with 6 or more PCI slots
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 09:59:30 -0700

HI,

ASUS P3B-F - 6PCI

Andrey

From: Dallas Times <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Question on Graphic Card
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 12:01:58 -0700

For a list of supported XFree86 cards, goto http://www.xfree86.org. Pay
attention to the supported card list because a lot of cards are supported in
version 3.x but have not been completely ported over to version 4.x yet.

Savage chipsets are supported under XFree86 v3.x, but some haven't been
ported to version 4.x yet.

- Ken

------------------------------

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: poweroff failure ?
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 10:06:29 -0700

Hi,

in Redhat to poweroff a computer based on atx motherboard (which support
this feature) you must use as root "init 0" command
root# init 0

Andrey

------------------------------

From: dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Presentations on Laptop
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 09:57:56 -0700

I am running Mandrake Linux 7.0 (RH with extras) on a dell inspiron 7500

I use StarOffice , StarImpress to create slide presentations.

I need to be able to switch from the presentation to the desktop and/or
a console screen.  I can't do this.

Can anyone help with what key strokes will put the presentation in the
background and turn the desktop back over to other apps?

Thanks

Dan Kubilos

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE or SCSI CD-RW?
Date: 03 May 2000 12:48:23 -0400

Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Gary Flynn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > JEDIDIAH wrote:
> > >
> > >         If you're just going to be using low speed devices then Tekram
> > >         sells a $30 PCI that should fit the bill quite nicely for you.
> >
> > Thanks, I'll look into it.
>
> Just a FYI, the TekRam 315 and 395 drivers are not yet integrated into the
> standard Linux kernel.  The driver sources are available at the Tekram site and
> elsewhere, but it is a hassle integrating other drivers in....  The TekRam
> DC-390 (without a letter suffix) has a separate driver in the kernel (I don't
> know the quality of), and the DC-310 and DC-390{U,F,W,U2W} cards use the
> standard 'NCR53C8xx' driver that has long been supported by Linux.  The last I
> checked, the DC-390F was about $70-90 (and the DC-310, DC-390W, and possibly
> the DC-390U were not being sold).

centrix-international has the symbios 8251s for $40.  it should be
similar to the dc-390w.  i don't know if a fast-10 wide controller is
worthwhile however.  i'd favor a fast-10 or 20 narrow card for
periferals (since only hard drives have wide interfaces -- except that
one lonely plextor cd-rom).

<URL:http://www.centrix-intl.com>

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel Panic with >64M
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 20:03:13 +0200

Thorsten Rene Stauber wrote:
> after buying a second 64M-stick for my Linux box I face some problems
> with it.

Does your BIOS find all the memory? Otherwise it could be some problem
with double-sided simms which gives restrictions on which memory banks
to use. Consult the manual of your motherboard if the BIOS doesn't find
all the memory at boot.

> I already tried to use less Memory (even only "mem=80M") but the
> bahaviour doesn´t change.
> I am sure that both sticks are ok. (Linux works fine with only one of
> them, regardless which one)

Then it sounds like a problem with the motherboard. I have seen a PPro
which had problems with memory in one bank. The memory had parity so the
errors was easy to detect. However, replacing the memory didn't work and
the memory worked fine in another machine.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problems with SB16 PnP
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 20:13:39 +0200

Nils Schäle wrote:
> anybody an idea how i can solve the problem ?

Maybe it would work better with ALSA?

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Question on system monitoring tool "top"
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 20:29:48 +0200

¤p°é¤l°é¥D wrote:
>  I use "top" to monitor my linux box.  Could anyone explain which
> figure is the most important to determine whether my machine reach
> performance bottleneck.

I will do my best.

> 1. What is the meaning of load average?  What value is normal and
> what's the threshold value of high loading?

The load is the number of processes which are runnable plus the number
of processes which are waiting for disk. If your machine is heavy loaded
with many working processes you will get a high number. If your machine
is mostly idle the load average will be just above zero. If the load
minus the number of processes waiting for disk is higher than your
number of CPUs you could benefit from a machine with more CPU-power.

Top shows three load averages. Those averages are taken over different
time lengths. The first value is the shortest time.

> 2. Which one is more important when determining the system loading:
> load average or CPU states?

It is load average. CPU states only shows how much of your CPU is used
by different kind of work.

> 3. At the CUP status row, it's breakdown into user, system, nice and
> idle,  I have high nice value (up to 60) but quite low user (15) and
> system (10) values, does it mean that linux box is very busy?

The sum of the CPU states is 100%. If you have 0.0% idle your box always
has something useful to do. However, it seems as if you have an idle
value of 15%? You have a high nice value, this means that you have one
or more working processes which are running nice. Usually nice processes
are not considered so important that they should be allowed to steal to
much power from other processes. (see "man nice" and "man renice"). I
would guess that you are running some program like rc564 or seti@home?

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Really Inexpensive Array of Disks
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 20:34:24 +0200

Mario Lang wrote:
> I just heard that there is a RAID controller (SCSI) which
> works with IDE disks. Does anyone know if this one is supported
> by Linux and where I can get it (web url would be nice).

At work I have a box with 6 ide-disks which is connected to a Solaris
machine with SCSI. I'm almost sure this would work also with Linux as it
looks just like a SCSI-disk to the host computer. We bought this one
from Exo-data in sweden with the URL http://www.exodata.se.

regards Henrik

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (august)
Subject: ATTN: Onstream SC30 question? ... TIA
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 17:34:26 GMT

anyone try to see if the Onstream SC30 works with Linux? Any advice
would be appreciated. I believe I remember hearing something around
the effect that DUMP will works with it.

Thanks

august

------------------------------

From: Andrew Kae <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cdrecord question
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 13:39:10 -0400

Hello,

I have a Matsushita (Panasonic) 7582 IDE cdr.  I've read
through the CD-Writing Howto but I am still confused about
one thing.

Is it possible to write files and directories to a cd without making
an image first?  I don't have 650 MB of my hard drive to spare for
an image file.  In Windoze, Adaptec EZ-CD recorder can take in
a list of files and then just burn them to a cd.  It seems to me the
only way to make data cds is to make an image first and then use
cdrecord to make the image into a cd.

Can anyone help me out?

thanks

------------------------------

From: Walter Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help migrating to new hard drive.
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 13:45:08 -0400

I have a 15G drive that is replacing a 1.5G that contains only Windows,
but I need to keep Windows around for high quality color printing on my
HP 882 (unfortunately the Linux drivers are pretty bad :(

I've set up two partitions, hda1 which is 1.8G and hda2 which is the
rest of the drive, and Linux is happily migrated to it.  However, I
can't get the Windows drive to boot.

Partition type is FAT16 (6), I fired up vmware with the old drive in
place, formatted the new drive in Windows, but couldn't figure out how
to mirror the drive in Windows so I shutdown vmware and simply copied
the drive in Linux.  I then restarted vmware, did a scandisk on the
drive, even tried to optimize it (which succeeded!) but every time I try
to boot it fails..

I get the lilo prompt, I select dos, it pops up the Windows splash, then
very soon after I get the boot menu and says that there is a registry
error, and when I try to boot to a command prompt it says a buncha files
in the autoexec.bat are missing or corrupted, and secto not found
reading drive C.

I can reattach the old drive (can't leave in in place due to three hard
drives and a cdrw) so if there is a better way to copy the files I can
do that..  a way to fix what's there is preferable.  :)

I am not too hip on reinstalling Windows but it's always an option.  I'm
just not sure where I went wrong with migrating the drive.

Any help is appreciated!

--
Walter Francis
http://wally.hplx.net                      Powered by Red Hat Linux 6.0

------------------------------

From: James Waldby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 17:57:50 GMT

Andrey Vlasov wrote:
> ASUS P3B-F - 6PCI
>
> Andrey
>
> Erik Wolf wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know of a motherboard for running Intel-based linux machines
> > that has 6 or more PCI slots?

A 7-slot expansion box appears at
http://www.auroratech.com/gotofiles/gopciexpans.htm
and is used in 13-pci-slot system illustrated at
http://www.overclockers.com/tips78/index02.asp
-- jiw

------------------------------

From: Dimitri Papadopoulos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dell P1690 24" monitor
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 19:17:29 +0200

Dances With Crows wrote:

> On Wed, 03 May 2000 15:25:05 +0200, Dimitri Papadopoulos
> <<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
> >Our graphics card is a Matrox G400 AGP with 32 Mb.
> >
> >We need the same 1920x1200 resolution we have on Windows.
> >
> >The RedHat 6.2 of XFree86 configuration tools don't seem to help
> >here. They don't have provision for better than 1600x1200, or
>
> Then try xf86config.  Text only, but it works much better than
> Xconfigurator IMO.  Tell it you have 32768K of video RAM and you'll get
> the options for resolutions as high as the thing supports.  BTW, 1920x1200
> is a really weird resolution; that 1.6 aspect ratio wouldn't display well

This is a 24" monitor. 24" monitors have a 16:9 screen.

> on most monitors, I'd think... you'd get the letterbox effect and all.

What's this letterbox effect? One thing's for sure, it doesn't display
well. We do have 1920 x 1200, but it is displayed with a 4:3 ratio instead
of the normal 16:10 ratio for that kind of screen. So only part of the width
of the screen is sweeped, while the height is correct. Circles are ovals.

This is why I need better Modline settings.

I'll give xf86config a try, thanks.

Dimitri

------------------------------

From: Ashwin Kapur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Dell Inspiron 7500 - Linux
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 18:24:05 GMT

Basically a great machine.  Very, very heavy.  Unless you
only plan to carry it in a car very infrequently buy te 5000
instead.  Also get the 15 inch screen instead of the 15.4
since it has better resolution even though it's smaller and
it helps with the battery life too.

Also before you buy from Dell remember they consider having
up to 5 bad pixels on a screen normal.  If this happens your
only option is the 30 day money back guarantee.  In other
words if a pixel on your screen dies 31 days after you
bought it you aren't going to be a happy camper.

Dell's customer service has really deteriorated over the
past 6 months to a year.  I used to buy a lot from them. =

Now I rarely buy from them though if you can deal with the
bad pixels the notebooks are pretty decent.

I'd also consider the IBM's and Gateway's though.  Prices
aren't what they used to be and are not pretty comparable
with Dell and though they don't have the SXGA+ screen, the
screens are really good enough to the point that you really
can't tell and the benefit of lower resolution is longer
battery life.

Ryan Marsh wrote:
> =

> Hi guys, I'm going to be purchasing a Dell Inspiron 7500 and I wanted t=
o get
> your input on the config I'd like to get. Please let me know if anythin=
> won't work. I'm going to be using Red Hat 6.2
> =

> Dell Inspiron 7500 Notebook:
>  Pentium=AE III processor with SpeedStepT, 650MHz
>  15.4" Super XGA
>  192MB, SDRAM, 2 DIMMs
>  8MB ATI Mobility-P 3D Video with 2X AGP
>  18GB Hard Drive, 12.5 MM
>  3COM 10/100 Fast Ethernet PC Card
>  No Modem Selected
>  8XDVD / Floppy Drive Combo
> =

> Of course I won't be using the DVD except for in Windoze. But I'll need=
 it
> as a CDROM while in Linux. Some of you mentioned buying the Linksys ins=
tead
> of the Xircom modem so I think I'm going to do that.
> =

> -ryan
> =

> "Any way you look at it, all the information that a person accumulates =
in a
> lifetime is just a drop in the bucket."
> -- Bateau / Ghost in the Shell

-- =

We are all agreed that your theory is crazy.  The question
which
divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of
being
correct.  My own feeling is that it is not crazy enough.
                -- Niels Bohr

------------------------------

From: "Folkert Rienstra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: Int 13h Device Not Found, BIOS not installed
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 20:19:12 +0200

Michael,

What's the beef, I see almost perfect posts in this thread, the only exceptions
being one or two unquoted linebreaks where text came from a HTML file.

Most crummy posts I see are from people who HAVE their line limit set at
say 72 chars per line (because they did not bother to change it or plain don't
know how to do it).
I have mine set at 132 (max) and provide my own line breaks (which is how it should
be anyway). Problem is that OE wraps automatically and I sometimes forget to check my
post for missed linebreaks (like here) before
sending. However the only 'problem' that makes is that you get 1 full and possibly 2
half full lines.

Not nearly so annoying as those 1 line
1 word
posts that change to those 1 line
1 word
1 word
lines after a few quotes.

If you catch my drift.

No matter what linebreak length you set someone will hack your message to death.
And most likely you yourself, the author are the first to do so.
When we all set our linebreaks at 72 each and every message that is quoted wil have
some lines break twice ending in a single word. A few more quotes and that line gets
broken again ending in 2 single word lines. Those I find unreadable and very annoying.

Posting in HTML has none of these problems but that seems to be NOT DONE.
Posting using 'quoted printable' also does not suffer from those annoying unexpected
linebreaks, but it does not quote, so you have to do your own quoting or create some
kind of story board to make yourself understandable.

I'm using a little over half of my screen (20 inch), using a 12 point character size,
I can read it from 2 or 3 meters away so it is not that I am cramping lines with
as much text that I can fit.
--

Folkert Rienstra
(Please don't email me, reply to the group)

"M. Buchenrieder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
| "Folkert Rienstra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
|
| Folkert, could you please adjust your OE to be limiting the line length
| to something reasonable, say, 72 chars per line ?
|
| > "M. Buchenrieder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
| > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
|
| [...]
|
| >Correction, from AHA-2940 Hardware Q & A :
|
| >Q: I cannot boot from my NT 4.0 CD-ROM although the BIOS Support for
| >bootable CD-ROM is enabled.
|
| >A: The option was available in the V1.23 BIOS version, but due to changes in the
| > standard from Microsoft, the CD would not boot.
|
| Well, the 1.21 version for sure does not support booting off of a CDROM at
| all. I do have one of these here in another machine 2 floors away :)
|
| >This was corrected in the v1.25 BIOS version.

| >|

------------------------------

From: "Folkert Rienstra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 18:59:00 +0200

Michael,

What's the beef, I see almost perfect posts in this thread, the only exceptions
being one or two unquoted linebreaks where text came from a HTML file.

Most crummy posts I see are from people who HAVE their line limit set at
say 72 chars per line (because they did not bother to change it or plain don't
know how to do it).
I have mine set at 132 (max) and provide my own line breaks (which is how it should
be anyway). Problem is that OE wraps automatically and I sometimes forget to check my
post for missed linebreaks (like here) before
sending. However the only 'problem' that makes is that you get 1 full and 2 half full
lines.

Not nearly so annoying as those 1 line
1 word
posts that change to those 1 line
1 word
1 word
lines after a few quotes.

If you catch my drift.
Now you want me to do that to others posts too? I don't think so.

No matter what linebreak length you set someone will hack your message to death.
And most likely you yourself, the author are the first to do so.
When we all set our linebreaks at 72 each and every message that is quoted wil have
some lines break twice ending in a single word. A few more quotes and that line gets
broken again ending in 2 single word lines. Those I find unreadable and very annoying.

Posting in HTML has none of these problems but that seems to be NOT DONE.
Posting using 'quoted printable' also does not suffer from those annoying unexpected
linebreaks, but it does not quote, so you have to do your own quoting or create some
kind of story board to make yourself understandable.

I'm using a little over half of my screen (20 inch), using a 12 point character size,
I can read it from 2 or 3 meters away so it is not that I am cramping lines with
as much text that I can fit.
--

Folkert Rienstra
(Please don't email me, reply to the group)

"M. Buchenrieder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
| "Folkert Rienstra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
|
| Folkert, could you please adjust your OE to be limiting the line length
| to something reasonable, say, 72 chars per line ?
|
| > "M. Buchenrieder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
| > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
|
| [...]
|
| >Correction, from AHA-2940 Hardware Q & A :
|
| >Q: I cannot boot from my NT 4.0 CD-ROM although the BIOS Support for
| >bootable CD-ROM is enabled.
|
| >A: The option was available in the V1.23 BIOS version, but due to changes in the
| > standard from Microsoft, the CD would not boot.
|
| Well, the 1.21 version for sure does not support booting off of a CDROM at
| all. I do have one of these here in another machine 2 floors away :)
|
| >This was corrected in the v1.25 BIOS version.

| >|