Linux-Hardware Digest #641, Volume #13           Thu, 28 Sep 00 05:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Diamond MonsterSound/original drivers? (Don Johnson)
  Re: HELP: SiteCom PCMCIA ethernet chip? (Donald Becker)
  Re: Nuestro Portal sigue creciendo... ("Mark")
  Re: Red Hat 6.2 won't install, freezes on Adaptec 2940 controller. ("Joshua Nekl")
  Re: IBM T20/A20 ThkPd: mini-PCI Ethernet 100/10Mbps... supported?
  Re: Looking for printer/fax/copier (Bruce Forsberg)
  Selling IBM Travelstar 6G drive. (Walter Francis)
  Selling IBM Travelstar 6G drive. (Walter Francis)
  Re: Adaptec AAA-131U2 Raid Controller Help ("Steve Wolfe")
  Imagewriter II on a 486? (FyreFiend)
  Re: newbie question: can I read my DVD discs with linux default s/w ? (Kenneth
Rørvik)
  Promise Ultra 66 and Linux ("Tobias Dresbach")
  mount cd changer ("scorpion")
  Geforce2 MX + RH7 problem ("Ruben Merz")
  Re: Promise Ultra 66 and Linux (James Richard Tyrer)
  Re: Geforce2 MX + RH7 problem ("Nicolas HORCHOWER")
  modem.... ("Marre")
  I815e support ? (ulucas)
  Re: SMP and IDE LOST INTERRUPT ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Don Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Diamond MonsterSound/original drivers?
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 01:04:39 -0400

"schuetzen - RKBA!" wrote:

> Steve Bradley wrote:
>
> >Don Johnson wrote:
> >
> >> Do they exist for linux?
> >>

> >If its the Monster Sound MX300 - No.  There are drivers put out by a group
> >on Soucreforge that are really good (www.sourceforge.net, search for
> >aureal), but they have issues with some motherboard chipsets and/or
> >videocards.  Mine kept locking up the computer when used with a VIA chipset
> >and NVIDIA video card.
>
> <groan> and I just picked up 4 of these for nearly nothing!
> well crap!  so, what is the best supported Sound Card for Linux - Suse or RH?
>
> thanks
> chas
careful there--i think Steve mistyped something---the MX300 has the
Aureal Vortex chipset, with the good drivers. Everything else(including
what I have), is not from Aureal necessarily, and won't work. So, if i'm
not terribly mistaken, the MX300 works.
--
---
Don R. Johnson

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donald Becker)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: HELP: SiteCom PCMCIA ethernet chip?
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 05:18:18 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
McManus Leo Root DSP Consultant  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a SiteCom PCMCIA 10/100 ethernet card on my TravelMate 4000M.
>
>I have contacted SiteCom in the Netherlands, but get no reply so am
>unable to find out what ethernet chip it is using. There is seemingly no
>information in the manual or on the card itself.

There are only a handful of CardBus 10/100 chips, and only two PCMCIA 10/100
chips, both NE2000 clones.

>It has a Redhat 6.0 driver and has a module called lna100.o but I am
>running SuSE6.3. I have tried to use the module, but I get no reports on
>the detection taking place and if I try an INSMOD, it reports it cannot
>find the module. If I do an IFCONGIG I see no eth0.

Hmmm, only a *.o file?  That's almost certainly a license violation.
Does it include a copy of the GPL and an offer for the source code at
nominal cost?  If not, do 'strings lna100.o' to see what driver it is, and
post a report.  I do defend the GPL (even if slashdot always gets the story
wrong).

--
Donald Becker                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Scyld Computing Corporation             http://www.scyld.com

------------------------------

From: "Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.m68k,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Nuestro Portal sigue creciendo...
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 05:18:31 GMT

Yo hablo poco espanoles.  Por que escribir esto en espanol? Habla ingles?
Poco gentes de estos (newsgroup) habla espanoles
Yo estoy estudiando espanoles dos en mi colegio.

Marcos Núñez (Tienda Digital.com) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> El portal de tiendas y servicios de la red sigue creciendo, en el puedes
> encontrar:
>
>     - Más de 1000 tiendas y servicios en :
>                 · Únete a nosotros: Regístrate gratis en Tienda Naranja,
> Orientada a tener una presencia básica en Internet. Totalmente gratuita.
>
>                 · Alta ON LINE de Tienda Azul: Web especializada con 10
> escaparates. Es un servicio profesional con opción de comercio electrónico
> una imagen representativa suficiente para desenvolverse en la Red.
> http://www.tiendadigital.com
>

>     -Hemos abierto para ti la mayor Sala de Exposiciones posible...
Muestra
> tu obra. Sorpréndenos con tu creatividad.
> Y además GRATIS.  Si no eres artista cuéntaselo a un amigo. ¡¡ Seguro que
le
> interesa!!
> http://www.tiendadigital.com/sala/index1.asp
>

>     - El Rastreador: Descubre con nosotros la Comunidad Valenciana, sitios
> curiosos e interesantes. Actividades tradicionales o vanguardistas. Sigue
la
> pista del Rastreador y disfruta con una escapada de fin de semana, la
> lectura de nuestra propuesta literaria...
> http://www.tiendadigital.com/rastreador0.asp
>

>     - Nuestros fondos de pantalla: Imágenes cedidas por el fotógrafo
Víctor

------------------------------

From: "Joshua Nekl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat 6.2 won't install, freezes on Adaptec 2940 controller.
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 05:20:42 GMT

I'm having a very similar problem.

I too am using the 2940u2w. However, I was able to install RH 6.2 just fine.
It's RH 7.0 that's doing the same things your seeing, hanging while trying
to load the AIC7xxx driver. It accesses the hard drive, cdrom, then repeats
every 4 seconds or so.

Also, I've been running RH6.2 for a few months with kernel 2.2.16 and have
had no problems. Recently, I tried the switch to kernel 2.2.17 ..... this is
where the trouble starts.

When kernel 2.2.17 tries to boot, it detects the adaptor, but then times out
trying to get the harddrive info.

(scsi0:0:0:0) Synchronous at 80.0 Mbytes/sec, offset 31.
SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid0) timed out - trying harder
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.

This message repeats every five seconds indefinately.

The hard drive that is causing the problem that lies on id0 is a
18GB Quantum Atlas 10K Ultra2-LVD

Funny thing is, my roomate also has a 2940u2w with a Quantum Atlas 10k,
except his is only 9 GB and lacks the ultra 160 interface. He was able to
install RH7.0 just fine.

There is also a cdrom and a burner on this card, but it does the same thing
when they are removed.

I initially thought this was a kernel 2.2.17 issue with it getting confused
with the ultra 160 interface, but RH 7.0 uses kernel version 2.2.16 (who
knows with what patches though).

What type of hard drives are on your system???
What firmware version is your Adaptec card using???  I'm using v2.20.0.

- Josh

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: IBM T20/A20 ThkPd: mini-PCI Ethernet 100/10Mbps... supported?
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 05:30:04 -0000

I've also been looking at the T20,T21. The specs read that the card comes
with either 3Com ethernet/3Com modem or Intel ethernet/Lucent modem.  I'm
wondering which would be better, and am not finding any info on it...

Any ideas?

Lynda

From: Bruce Forsberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking for printer/fax/copier
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 05:52:58 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Joseph C. Kopec" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You may want to look into the Brother MFC (or is it MPC?) line of
> multifunction devices.  While I do not have experience with them
> directly, I have had a very good experience with the Brother 1270N
> networkable laser printer -- at $499 probably the cheapest such device
> around.  The machine and documentation was very Linux-friendly -- the
> first chapter of the user's manual described getting the machine to
work
> under Unix.  Good luck.

I second the motion. The Brother 1270N is an incredable Linux laser
printer for the money. In fact I just found out that it even has
a web server built-in. You can type http://<IP ADDRESS OF PRINTER> and
you can control many settings of the printer if it is connected to your
network with TCP-IP from Linux.

Bruce Forsberg

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Walter Francis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Selling IBM Travelstar 6G drive.
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 06:15:24 GMT

Hi, I'll only post this once, so I hope it doesn't upset anyone.

I'm selling an IBM Travelstar 6G laptop (2.5" IDE) drive.  It's 9.5mm
tall, 500ma power at 5V max, UDMA/66, very light.  More information on
my eBay auction page for the drive, so please look there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=450669490

The drive is *brand new* as I just purchased two identical older (but
unused) laptops, and have upgraded the drive one of them to a 25G.  I'm
considering upgrading the other as well, I'll see how the auction on
this one goes.

Thank you for your patience, feel free to email with any questions!

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adaptec AAA-131U2 Raid Controller Help
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 00:40:15 -0600

> Could anyone point me in the right direction concerning a newly purchased
> Adaptec AAA-131U2 Raid controller.
>
> I'm installing RedHat 6.2 overt FTP, and the fdisk sees three disks, not
one
> as I suspect it should be.
>
> Has anyone set this up yet with any success or point me in the right
> direction to find some docs.
>
> Controller : aaa-131U2
> Disks: 3 x Quantum Atlas V 18.3 GB
> Raid 5 configuration

   The kernel is loading the driver for the SCSI controller(s) on the card,
not the ones that point to the RAID controller (if that made any sense).
Since Adaptec doesn't have Linux drivers for the card, hopefully someone
else has, or you're in trouble.

steve
Domain for replies is "codon"

From: FyreFiend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Imagewriter II on a 486?
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 02:33:35 -0400

Hello all,
I have an old Apple ImageWriter II that I'd like to hook up to my
RH6.2 Linux box. I noticed that it's listed as supported by
ghostscript under print-tool. My question is about the cable. How
would I connect the min-din8 from the ImageWriter II to my COM port?
Would a Mac modem cable work? The reason I ask is because I'm afraid
of blowing something out if it wouldn't.

Sorry if this is a stupid question as I'm a bit of a newbie.

Thanks,
Fyre

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: creative.linux
Subject: Re: newbie question: can I read my DVD discs with linux default s/w ?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 07:20:19 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (tom) wrote in <970079717.9450.0.nnrp-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>newbie question: can I read my DVD discs with linux default s/w ?

Many DVD's come with a bridged filesystem (iso9660+udf) so you can read
them as normal CD-ROMs in a DVD drive. For those that are UDF only, you
need a kernel that has the DVD ioctls. This means 2.2.16 or newer, if I
remember correctly. Check out the mentioned DVD-playing howto for details
on this. When you have the kernel ioctls in place, simply mount the DVD as
you would any other device (the filesystem type is either iso9660 or udf,
depending on the disc).

--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22950312
Nordbergv. 60A          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Tobias Dresbach" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Promise Ultra 66 and Linux
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:36:21 +0200

Hi all,
i try to install the Promise Ultra 66 IDE Controller under SuSE Linux 6.4.
But i haven´t the driver disk that comes with the controller.
The Problem is that during the PC is booting there is the error messages
"Promise ... BIOS not installed". But i can´t find a way to enter the
Controllers BIOS like pressing Strg+A ...
Is it possible to use 4 Harddisk on the Promise Controller when there are 4
Harddisk installed on the Mainboards Controller?
Do i have to install a new kernel to get the Promise running?
Thanks for your help
Tobias

------------------------------

From: "scorpion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mount cd changer
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 03:25:31 -0400

i got redhat 6.2 and pioneer 604 scsi cd changer.  redhat found the scsi
card and the cd changer during boot.

when i tride everything below:
mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt
mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom
mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom0
mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom1

i get this error:
wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/scd0
or too many mounted file systems

i hear the cd changer switching disks and everything but it doesnt mount.
anyone have any ideas?

mike

From: "Ruben Merz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Geforce2 MX + RH7 problem
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:07:31 +0200

I've just installed the new RH7 and I can't get my geforce2 MX card working.
As I'haven't tried to play yet with the nvidia drivers, does anybody know if
the card may work with the generic nv driver of Xfree 4.0.1. Because for me,
with out of the box RH7 it does not. When I do startx I get error message
from X telling me That My card is recognized as a valid card but that I have
to send the output of scanpci -v to Xfree86 team.
Has anybody experienced the same problem or has been able to make a Geforce2
MX based card working with linux?

Ruben

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Promise Ultra 66 and Linux
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 08:14:50 GMT

Tobias Dresbach wrote:

> Hi all,
> i try to install the Promise Ultra 66 IDE Controller under SuSE Linux 6=
=2E4.
> But i haven=B4t the driver disk that comes with the controller.
> The Problem is that during the PC is booting there is the error message=
> "Promise ... BIOS not installed". But i can=B4t find a way to enter the=

> Controllers BIOS like pressing Strg+A ...
> Is it possible to use 4 Harddisk on the Promise Controller when there a=
re 4
> Harddisk installed on the Mainboards Controller?
> Do i have to install a new kernel to get the Promise running?
> Thanks for your help
> Tobias

Do you have a disk connected to it?

Unless the board's BIOS detects at least one drive connected to it, the
BIOS will not be installed.

JRT

------------------------------

From: "Nicolas HORCHOWER" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Geforce2 MX + RH7 problem
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:23:42 +0200

In fact all the nvidia card are recognize except the GeForce 2 (GTS,MX,...)

Xfree.org wrote that the next release (end of September) will support those
cards...
The other solution is to try to download the CVS archive from Xfree.org

news:8quuj4$fnh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Marre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modem....
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:24:22 +0200

Hi!

I´ve got problems with my modem. PPP dialer can´t get connected to my modem.
My modem is a usr sportster message plus updated with v90. When I run the
internet setup wizard, it can´t find my modem.
This is with Red Hat 6.2......

any suggestions??

Marre

------------------------------

From: ulucas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I815e support ?
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:40:57 +0200

Hi I have the new Asus CUSL2 MB with the Intel I815e chip and I get a
boot error :

agpgart: agpgart: Detected an Intel i815, but could not find the
secondary device.
agpgart: no supported devices found.

and the error of modprobe agpgart

Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.2.17-11mdk/misc/agpgart.o:
/lib/modules/2.2.17-11mdk/misc/misc/agpgart.o failed
/lib/modules/2.2.17-11mdk/misc/agpgart.o: insmod agpgart
failed

Kernel is 2.2.17 or 2.4 test 8
Video : Matrox G400 (onboard video is disabled )

Any one has experience with this board (intel chipset) or error message
?

ULF

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: SMP and IDE LOST INTERRUPT
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 08:53:25 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter J King) wrote:
> I am running redhat 6.2 on and gigabyte GA-586DX
board with dual
> pentium 200 MMX cpu. The non-smp kernel works
fine. When I use the smp
> kernel I get randomn lost interrupts on ide disk
access.

> During a copy of the kernel source I would
average 5 lost interrupts.

> Anyone come across this before? Any help on
where to look for an
> answer would be appreciated.
>
> I have tried 2.2.17 kernel with the same result.

I'm running a GA-586DX board with a 2.4.0-test8
kernel and got similar problems under high
interrupt load with an SMP kernel. The logfile
shows tons of messages like:
APIC error on CPU#: 02(00)
APIC error on CPU#: 04(00)
APIC error on CPU#: 08(00)
This was already disussed in the lkml. These error
messages are enabled since 2.3.xx and they
indicate crc errors on the APIC bus, so it seems
that it's a hardware problem.
BTW, my systems freezes after 8-12 hours of under
heavy load - seems that not all errors are covered
by the crc error  detection.

Michael