From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Networking performance problem
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 01:23:19 +0100

In article <ldnK5.28255$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Jacco van Schaik"
>> Transferring the other way is slow,  how are you transferring the data?
>
> FTP, always FTP. I start FTP from the windows machine to the Linux machine. A
> "put" transfers at 3 to 5 MB/sec, a "get" transfers at 7 kB/sec.

ok. doing a local ftp copy (linux<->linux) would test the ftp daemon speed.
After that you could look at a tcpdump and check the traffic being generated.
I know the ftp client on windows is crude but that should not be a problem.

If you have apache running you could try transferring via http to check as
well.

karl.

------------------------------

From: "wyle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Initio controlle, YAMAHA CRW4416S
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 20:33:40 -0400

I found this on Deja awhile back.  I haven't tried it yet.  it's a response
to someone who had the exact same problem.

This guy wrote:
I came across this problem myself a while ago.  What you need to do is
disconnect the burner, fire up lunux, recompile the kernel to DISable "probe
all luns on scsi bus" in
the scsi setup section, shut down, reconnect the burner and linux should
have no further problems getting your hardware to boot.

Andy Carey wrote:

 > Does anyone know how to resolve the following problem:
 >
 > I have an Initio INI9100U adapter card with a TEAC CD-532S scsi id = 1, a
 > YAMAHA CRW4416S scsi id=0 and an EPSON GT-7000 scanner scsi id=2 hanging
off
 > it.
 >
 > During the loading of the SUSE 6.3 supplied Initio module; when it probes
 > the YAMAHA it just hangs.(This incidentally also happens on a friends
 > machine
 > with the same set-up). SUSE suggested that the firmware (rev. 1.0f) might
be
 > a bit buggy, so I update the firmware to rev.1.0j. However the same thing
 > occurs.
 > I've successfully installed SUSE 6.3 by temporarily disconnecting the
 > YAMAHA. But upon re-connection, and  when Linux is loaded, neither of the
 > CD-ROM's is available for mounting.
 >
 > I've never had problems installing and configuring Linux before so this
is
 > making me a very bald person indeed.
 >
 > Many thanks for any suggestions.
 >
 > Andy

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Valentin Guillen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: I'm throwing away my Diamond FireGL1 Card...
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 00:38:58 GMT

Spicerun,

A polite suggestion:

CC this message to Diamond.  Don't write a different message to
Diamond.  Rather, make it very obvious to them that you're publicizing
this in many forums like NewsGroups.

I would research the email addresses of their technical support, their
corporate officers, etc.  Make sure they receive a copy of the message.

By the way, just throw the card over here....:-)

Regards,
Valentin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RH + HDD problems
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 00:29:47 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >  When I attempt a RHLinux install my system reports a hard disk
> > `oops0000' and `compressed file at block 0'. I tried cfdisk but
> > get the same report. I can't install RHLinux 6.2
> >
> >  Can someone help me get this hard disk into serviceable condition
> > so I can install Linux?
> >
> > --
> > Joe
>
> More information please.
>
> Have you ever had anything on the disk?

Yes I had RHLinux 6.2 on the HDD when I had the HDD installed on
on an old 486.

> Do you have anything on the disk that you want to keep?

 Not at all. I just want to install RHLinux with this HDD on a `newer'
IBM Ispirati 6X86.

> If yes to the first question and no to the second; then: try DOS
fdisk.

 Dos FDISK worked ok but when I tried CFDISK I got a `compressed file
at block 0' before I got to the command line successfully with "Pocket
Linux". Then I deleted the partition and re-created a single partition
TYPE Linux and saved or (W)rote it to the disk. I made another
install attempt with Linux Boot Disk and CDROM installed and still got
`compressed file at block 0'

 So I tried "Pocket Linux" again and deleted and re-created the
partition as PRIMARY and DOS 16 bit with CFDISK. Then I tried DOS FDISK
but only to review the contents of the hard disk and not to change
anything. IBM PC DOS 6.3 FDISK sees only 2048meg partitions.

> Just format it for one partition for the whole thing or the 8.4 GB if
it
> is larger.  Then try Linux again.

 I think the version of DOS survival disk is IBM PC DOS 6.3 and I'm not
sure if it will format as much as 6.4 gig. I'll need to try FREEDOS.
I'll make a FREEDOS survival diskette with the appropriate files with
FREEDOS' 5th beta which has just come out.

 Right now, I'm using win98 on an Aptiva and hating the windoze part of
it. I guess it's a `branded' machine (winmodem, winmouse, winkeyboard,
etc.

 I just remembered that I have the install floppy for the hard disk when
I first bought it. After the Freedos, I'll install the hard disk with
the install floppy.

Joe

Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Philips webcam partially works-help!
Date: 28 Oct 2000 00:27:30 GMT

Hello folks! I have struggled to get my Philips Vesta Pro webcam
working under Linux, and finally sent an email to the author of
the Linux usb driver for the cam. I thought it could be useful
to post it here too, in case someone can help me:
===========
Hi! I have recently bought a Philips Vesta Pro webcam and
I am trying to make it function under Linux (it works in
WinBloat 98). The details are below, but to summarize, I
can get one image from the cam using camstream or xawtv, then
the system freezes up totally and I have to reboot using
the reset button. I have searched the info on your site, Usenet,
the web, but cannot solve this. Maybe you can help?

My system: RedHat (6.2?), KDE, kernels 2.4-pre6 (also tried pre8
with the same result), version 2.4.0 test 6 of your webcam modules.
HW: Celeron 450A on an Abit BH6 (BX chipset) mobo, 128MB RAM,
Matrox G400 32MB with TV out. My version of XFree is the default,
i.e. not XFree 4.*, if that is important.

I modprobe videodev, audio, your usb-pwc, usb-uhci, no error messages.

The LED on the cam lights up when modprobing usb-uhci.

If i do a cat /dev/video, the system freezes totally.
My video device files look like this:
==========================
[ale@hlecter /tmp]$ ls /dev/vi*
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root            6 Jun 13 22:54 /dev/video -> video0
crw-------   1 ale      root      81,   0 Jan 28  2000 /dev/video0
crw-------   1 ale      root      81,   1 Jan 28  2000 /dev/video1

===================================
lsmod listing:
[root@hlecter usb]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
usb-pwc-5.06-p6-up    164448   0
usb-uhci               22960   0  (unused)
audio                  41088   0  (unused)
usbcore                30144   0  [usb-pwc-5.06-p6-up usb-uhci audio]
videodev                4736   1  [usb-pwc-5.06-p6-up]

===================================
caminfo output:

Detected 1 Video4Linux devices.
VideoDevice supports Framerate setting.
CVideoDevice::Open(/dev/video0, 1): using select() and using mmap().
Initial size (352x288)
Device node      : /dev/video0
Name of device   : Philips 680 webcam
Minimum size     : 128x96
Current size     : 352x288
Maximum size     : 640x480
CVideoDevice::Close(): last close.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

OK, thanks in advance!

------------------------------

From: "Christian Birkner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse,at.linux,ger.pc.linux,z-netz.alt.linux
Subject: i810
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 03:36:31 +0200

also ich versteh das nicht eigentlich sollte ja der chipssatz i810 von xfree
3.4. unterstützt werden - wenn ich aber sax2 zu starten versuche gibt es
immer einen server crash
weiß jemand was da los sein könnte
ich verwende das S2054 Tomcat i810 Board von Tyan
Chris

------------------------------

From: "Christian Birkner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware,alt.computer,alt.os.linux.suse,at.linux,ger.pc.linux,maus.computer.linux,z-netz.alt.linux
Subject: GPS
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 03:46:13 +0200

also ich bin auf der suche nach GPS software für einen laptop
am liebsten wär mir ein fertiges produkt - welches so ähnlich wie ein fix in
das auto integriertes system zu nutzen ist
also z.B. befehle gibt wie "jetzt links abbiegen" und so - gibt es sowas für
linux (bzw. windows)
ich hab schon einen GPS empfänger für den seriellen port und auch software
(nur für windows) dazu von Gericom - die software ist aber einfach
schlecht - wahnsinnig ungenaues kartenmaterial - vielleicht könnte man ja
auch nur das kartenmaterial austauschen - gibts da irgendwelche standards
für das kartenmaterial
Chris.

From: Cheong Kwon-Hee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Symbios 53C1010 problem..
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 10:59:18 +0900

I tried to install Redhat 6.2 (2.2.16 patched package) on SCSI HDD
attached to SYM53C1010 Dual Channel Ultra160 SCSI Controller.
But, this package cannot support this SCSI adapter.

I can find driver source file from http://www.lsilogic.com .
According to driver installation instruction, after installing package,
user must patch the kernel.
But to install package, controller must be found first. Right?

I think that it is possible to make installation disk which support this
SCSI adapter.
Can I solve this issue?

I tried Redhat 7.0, but failed.

I also think that it is possible to make my own Redhat package which
support this adapter, but I don't know how.

Please let me know the solution.

------------------------------

From: "Gaetano Giacalone" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake 7.1 Installing Diamond MX300 on Abit BE6-2 Mobo - No sound
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 02:33:37 GMT

Try this website for your card

http://sourceforge.net/projects/aureal/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Jones)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Marvel G400 or All-in-Wonder?
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 02:39:57 GMT

On Fri, 27 Oct 2000 21:17:00 +0000 (UTC), [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

>I want to get a video card that I can also use as a VCR. In my research on the
>internet, I have discovered that the Marvel G400 and the All-in-Wonder are
>both supported under Linux. The All-in-Wonder appears to be better supported,
>but I really like the Marvel's ability to play video on the TV-out while I
>continue to use the monitor for computer work.
>
>What recommendations does anyone have for these two cards and their use under
>Linux?
>--
>Scott Barker

Go to AnandTech.com and read the article: Linux Video Card Comparison
- October 2000.  Then read the article on TV all in one cards.

Alan Jones

------------------------------

From: "Gerry Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.video.desktop,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: TV Tuner/Video Capture cards that support Win2K or Linux?
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 03:20:42 GMT

I am using Dazzle DVC II on W2K.

I previously had a Hauppage Win/TV tuner and capture card that I also ran on
W2K and my brother is now running on Linux.

Cheers

news:8tcrta$jma$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 08:33:11 +0100
From: Martin Hierling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Adaptec 160 timeout Problem

Hi,

I experienced the same Problems described in posting "adaptec 29160N
problem" (Ant Sims) from 4th of October.  I tried all Kernel Versions up
to 2.4.0-test9.
After some heavy IO ( dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null ) i got the following
message:

SCSI host 0 abort (pid x) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.
SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid x) timed out - trying harder
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0.

And some secs. later i got kernel panic.
Unfortunately Windows2000 runs fine with heavy IO.

Something about the system:
BareBone Motherboard, AIC 7xxx  (U160)with 2 18G IBM DDYS , IDE CDrom,
2xP3, VIA Chipset, Phoenix Bios (worst i have ever seen).

Perhaps anyone solved this Problem.

regards Martin Hierling

- Martin Hierling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://www.hierling.de
- Tagline for Thursday, October 26, 2000
- What goes around usually gets dizzy and falls over.

From: Greg Leblanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sun.hardware
Subject: Re: Sun Sparc SBUS ethernet & Linux
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 04:01:19 GMT

> Does anyone know which SBUS ethernet cards (e.g. for Sparc 5, LX, etc)
> are supported by Linux/Sparc?

Any "LE" (lance Ethernet) cards should work perfectly under S/Linux.
You should be able to use almost any SBUS ethernet card, although I've
only confirmed that the LE cards work.
        Greg

--
Troll, troll, troll your post
Gently down the feed

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: "Ray Tang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound Card ES1788
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 23:16:53 -0500

I have this particular sound card, ES1788, on my notebook computer.  I used
the SoundBlaster and it detects the card to be ES1888.  I was wondering if
anyone has been able to configure this particular card...?  Thanks in
advance.

--

                                                            Ray

------------------------------

From: Peter Bloomfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netgear Nic Problem
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 08:37:56 -0400

Thomas Hartmann wrote:

> Hello to all
>
> I have a very big Problem with my NIC (its a 10/100 MBit/s from Netgear)
> I have make a point to point connection with an Cross-Over Cable.
> So the autosensing from the nic set the card to 100MBit/s and FullDuplex
>
> The Problem is:
>
> When i restart one of the two PC's i don't can use the network befor i
> restart the Network on the other machine.
> [snip]

Put the PCs on a hub--works for me!  HTH

------------------------------

From: "Nicholas Hildreth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: 3DLabs Oxygen GVX1
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 18:02:11 +1300

Hi,
  I am also looking for a similar solution. I haven't been able to get my
Oxygen card to work in any graphics mode except 640x480 from the SVGA
driver. I am not against re-installing 3.3.6 if this is known to get some
results. Anyone have any ideas? Oddly enough the mouse pointer is often
visible when it is trying to activate a graphics mode.

Cheers,
Nicholas.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...