From: Neal Lippman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux system building - need a recommendation
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 23:08:02 GMT

I am collecting components for my first home-built system. I could use
some advice on components.

Specifics: I am planning to use Mandrake Linux 7.2 (of course, I will
upgrade to the new 2.4 kernel when it is out). The system will include
an IBM Deskstart 75GXP HD, Pioneer DVD drive, and an HP 8250i CD writer.
I haven't settled on a video card, yet, but am leaning towards an NVIDIA
GeForce (but open to recommendations backed by good reasons). I am not a
gamer, but I do want to watch an occasional DVD and I do a fair amount
of graphics. I'll use some sort of Soundblaster type of audio card, not
likely to be top of the line. Finally, I'm going to go to 256MB of ram
(Mushkin, most likely).

I've been leaning mostly towards a Pentium III 866 (133 Mhz FSB) and had
more or less settled on the ASUS CUSL2 for the MB. However, I keep
reading recommendations supporting the AMD Athlon as a better deal for
the home builder, and if I went in that direction the most popular board
seems to be ABIT KT7-RAID (I'd go the raid version for the Ultra-ATA100
support, not for RAID which I don't need at home).

Finally, I've been offered an exceptional deal on an bundled Intel
D815EEA with a PIII 800 and heat sink at a superb price (prob half what
it would cost me to buy online), so this is a very tempting offer, and
for the work that I do, the 800 to 866 MHz step up isn't really worth
doubling the cost of the MB+Processor.

I would appreciate any advice people have on which of the above
configurations will be the best for me to work with. I have done plenty
of system upgrades and so forth, so I'm comfortable with the mechanics
of plugging in cables and cards, but I haven't done a system build from
scratch before, and I need something that is likely to work and has
worked for others so I am don't hit the limit of my abilities trying to
get the hardware working and Linux up and running. If anyone has
actually used these components and built a Linux based-system, I would
appreciate their advice as well.

Thanks in advance for any help. Please reply to group or in private.
Neal Lippman

------------------------------

From: Mike Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Old School
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 17:42:37 -0600

"Michael V. Ferranti" wrote:

>         I'm talking about the most common denominator.  All distros have
> tarball support, but RedHat seems to be ditching it in full support of rpm
> (which is pretty RedHat specific).

Oh?  "rpm" runs on Solaris, made by Sun, on HP-UX, made by HP,
on AIX, made by IBM.   Besides, RH went to RPM _years_ ago!

>         Don't get me wrong.  I *like* the idea of package management.  The
> problem is that they're being used to make each distro distinctive and
> unique from one another.

Let's see.  RPMs are used in RedHat, Mandrake, Caldera, Suse, and others.
I've often loaded RPMs from a RH or Suse or Mandrake CD onto a Caldera system.
I don't see the preblem.  If you don't want to use RPMs, then don't!  :-)

> >Debian will be around for a while, I'm sure.  Plus, "alien" can convert
> >RPM to .deb or .tgz, and alien is a Perl script.  Give Debian a try.

Yeah, and there are tools to pull the archives out of RPMs.  So?

>         That's good to hear, backward compatibility with tarballs, which still
> seems to be the most common form of package management and distribution.

And the same as "no package management at all".  Sure, they might come with
a Makefile that lets you "make install", which puts files all over your system.
How many let you "make uninstall"?  How do you determine which version you
have loaded?  What other packages rely on it?

------------------------------

From: "John D. Peedle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux for the 486
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 23:40:44 -0000

I use Redhat 6.1 in 24MB which is fine
Did you enable your swap before the install?

--
John D. Peedle
RHCE - so I'm biased

news:8v8sh3$6c3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: jim dorey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux system building - need a recommendation
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 00:29:21 GMT

stay away from components that are less than 5 years old unless the part
comes with company supplied drivers, otherwise you are screwed and have to
write them yourself.  generally processor is not a big consideration, mobo
should be well researched if it's a newer model, see if your os choice can
use it and all the things that the mobo supports, like onboard audio, vid,
nics, modems, ram.  you need to find drivers for the specific type of mouse
you use, usually standard types are supported, usb is still iffy with linux,
but roaring down the road.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:41:06 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: yamaha ac-xg sound card

the sound chipset in my laptop is a yamaha ds-xg and although its
supported under ALSA since 5.8 i believe there is a bug in the driver
that causes the sound to repeat every 100 ms or something like that.
Alsa utilities will play a sound file but it will take longer than usual
b/c it repeats everything in teh sound file a certain number of times.
The bug has been posted on the alsa home page but so far it hasnt been
fixed or even acknowledged by the alsa dev. team. Who knows when it will
be fixed.

------------------------------

From: "Michelle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Gnome display
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:31:53 +0800

I am having  trouble getting good display using Gnome under RH 6.2

I have another HDD setup with Caldera 2.3 and using KDE  which I installed
into the same system and it displays perfectly.

I copied the XF86Config file from the Caldera setup over to the RH system
and here was a slight improvement but still far from satisfactory compared
with KDE under Caldera.

Gnome gives a display with blurry windows which smears to  illegibility
whenever I move the windows around. Overall the display appears bad.

I have removable HDD rack on mys system so that I can just remove and
replace the HDD/OS's in the system with whatever I like. ie this comparison
is strictly one of OS only the rest of the hw remains constant.

Why is this possible and how can I solve the problem.

I have treid running  XConfigurator and XFConfig several times. changing the
options and am running out of ideas
 How can I solve this?

TIA

Rgds

My HW
Video card S3 Virge 86C325 chip with 2MB memory
LG Flatron 795FT Plus
Pentium MMX166
64MB

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Date: 20 Nov 2000 01:58:59 GMT

>Neil Lippman wrote:
>> Specifics: I am planning to use Mandrake Linux 7.2 (of course, I will
>> upgrade to the new 2.4 kernel when it is out). The system will include
>> an IBM Deskstart 75GXP HD, Pioneer DVD drive, and an HP 8250i CD writer.
>> I haven't settled on a video card, yet, but am leaning towards an NVIDIA
>> GeForce (but open to recommendations backed by good reasons). I am not a
>> gamer, but I do want to watch an occasional DVD and I do a fair amount
>> of graphics. I'll use some sort of Soundblaster type of audio card, not
>> likely to be top of the line. Finally, I'm going to go to 256MB of ram
>> (Mushkin, most likely).

There have been some problems reported with that model of CD-RW.  Don't
know precisely what it is/was, but you may want to do a quick Deja
search on c.o.l.hardware and check things out.  There are a lot of other
IDE CD-RWs out there--what exactly led you to choose the HP over
anything else?  You shouldn't have any problems with the hard drive, but
watch out for the audio card--the very latest versions of the Ensoniq
AudioPCI, which I've been reccommending for a while as a good low-end
Linux card, aren't working right quite yet.

Please be more specific when you say "fair amount of graphics".  Are you
viewing things using OpenGL, or doing 2D image editing with Gimp?
Matrox is supposed to have the best 2D quality out there, and a friend
of mine has a G400 with a 19" screen and swears by it.  3D support is
better with nVidia's cards under Linux, but if you're not a gamer, you
most likely won't notice any difference.

Mandrake 7.2 has had more problems with stability/installation than its
predecessors.  Again, search Deja and see what the newsgroups have to
say about it before deciding.

>> Finally, I've been offered an exceptional deal on an bundled Intel
>> D815EEA with a PIII 800 and heat sink at a superb price (prob half what

Go with that if you can get it for cheap.  The 815 can at least take
regular SDRAM IIRC, so you won't lose money buying RAMBUS crud.

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 00:29:21 GMT, jim dorey wrote:
>stay away from components that are less than 5 years old unless the part
>comes with company supplied drivers, otherwise you are screwed and have to
>write them yourself.

Say *WHAT?*  I don't know if you were engaging in hyperbole, trolling,
or what.  It's more like 6 months, not 5 years--this TNT2 in my system
is about a year old, and has been supported since somewhere around
October of 1999.  Just look at at this NG for the number of problems
people have had with certain Linksys cards and their "company-supplied
drivers" which happened to be the wrong ones for those particular cards.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Can I use USB TV device?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 01:58:46 GMT

I've got a Pinnacle Systems StudioPCTV-USB TV viewing/capture device
on my USB bus. It uses the BT848 (or 878) chipset.
How do I set up linux to use this device with XawTV or whatever?
I find no mention of this in any docs/howtos. Harddrak doesn't see it.
Thanx,
Art.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: "Pellicle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SB Live is Fuzzy!!
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 02:16:53 GMT

My card did the same thing, but, it's working just fine with the CD player
and the desktop sounds.

Todd

------------------------------

From: Henning Pedersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: memory and Network problem.....
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 22:57:04 -0500

I hope someone can help me. I have a linux box with RedHat 6.2 which runs
fine except for 2 problems.
1. I have 160 mb ram but linux only sees 64mb. I tried the techinque with
append="mem=160M" in the lilo.conf but that didnt change anything.

2. I have 2 NICs both are D-Link DFE530TX+ which works. I have one NIC setup
for my lan and another for DSL. They both only allow a connection when I
deactivate the other and so far I figured out that its because they use the
same driver and for some reason can share without this poblem.

Any suggestions are very velcome.

Henning Pedersen.

------------------------------

From: Frank Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.samba
Subject: Re: fax server on linux for windows clients
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 04:10:51 GMT

James Knott wrote:

> Darren and Marla Welson wrote:
> >
> > I need a fax server package that I can run on my Linux firewall/server that
> > allows windows clients to access faxes and send faxes.  I looked at HylaFAX,
> > but it is a Linux server and requires an additional package for windows
> > clients to interact with it.  What has anyone used in the past to accomplish
> > this, or is this a nightmare?
>
> You might want to look into PMFax for Linux. As I recall,
> they have (had?) a network version.  The OS/2 version is
> excellent.  I downloaded the Linux version a few days ago.
>
> You can find them @ http://www.kellergroup.com/
>
> --
> Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly
> ignored.
> To reply, replace everything to the left of "@" with
> "james.knott".

Did you get PMFax lite to work?  I can't change the port.

Frank

------------------------------

From: default user <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: local printer want to send test-page to local-host?
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 23:13:15 -0500

that pretty much sums it up.
My recognized lp0 don't get the test page, it gets sent off the "local
host" on my DHCP  adsl connection.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 23:25:07 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PCMCIA LAN card for a laptop

hello,

can anyone recommend a cheap,under $50 if possible, pcmcia nic for a
toshiba laptop that is easy to install? One that uses a tulip or ne2k
driver I think would be easy to install, right? I'm using Suse 6.3 on it
and i'm going to set it up as a backup server for my parents but need a
pcmcia nic for it so i can hook it up to their LAN at the office.  I'd
like to stay under $50 if possible but if i have to will go higher.

thanks for any tips.
brandon

------------------------------

From: "Jorge Alvarez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ensoniq Soundscape works with Linux?
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 22:35:53 -0600

Hi there,

I've decided to sell my Ensoniq Elite Soundscape (it's already on eBay @
$5.00). I wonder if someone could please confirm or deny if this ISA
soundcard works well with Linux distributions, i.e., if it easy to detect
and configure, etc. This way I will add the info to my auction on eBay.

Many thanks in advance,

Jorge A.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 21:35:49 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: scsi-DAT timeout & hangs

Any chance this is an i840 chipset motherboard?

From: "Zeitgeist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: es1371 + viavoice + blackdown sound card problem
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.sound
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 13:31:20 +0800

In article <8v1qm3$8sv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "John Harlow"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <d2LQ5.2971$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

<snip>

>> The es1371 driver does not support .au formats, which means that the
>> following quick-and-dirty ways of accessing the sound card do not
> work:
>>
>> cat sample.au > /dev/dsp dd bs=8k count=4 < /dev/audio > sample.au
>>
>> Catting /dev/sndstat does not do what I expect it to do:
>>
>> % cat /dev/sndstat
>> cat: /dev/sndstat: No such device
>>
> Same thing.
>
> Using the dd command works perfectly. Samples I dd in replay fine when I
> cat them to /dev/audio or /dev/dsp.

I'm sorry, I'm confused. Do the "dd"  and the "cat sample.au
/dev/dsp" commands work for you or not? If they do, then your problem and
mine are somewhat different, as neither of those commands work for me -
catting .au files produces static.

Would you mind emailing me your kernel configuration file?
(/usr/src/linux/.config)? I would much appreciate it if I could see
whether I've failed to check some option there.

Finally, can you send me the name or the url of the commercial OSS
drivers that you downloaded?

Thanks for all your help. I'm not usually this incompetent, I just have a hard
time with hardware.

matt

------------------------------

From: "Zeitgeist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.sound
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 13:35:07 +0800

From: Thomas Skyt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: isa zu pcmcia
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 06:05:24 +0100

Versuch bitte, generell deine News-Postings auf englisch zu schreiben,
da die meisten Usenet-Benutzer diese Sprache verstehen, wohingegen
deutsch (ebenso wie bspw. französisch) nicht unbedingt von jedermann
gesprochen wird.

Grüsse,

In general, please write your news-postings in English, as that is a
language most usenet users understand, whereas German (just as well as
e.g. French) not necessarily is spoken by everyone.

Greets,
--
        Thomas Skyt    -   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   -    ICQ 94681590