Linux-Hardware Digest #917, Volume #13           Mon, 20 Nov 00 09:13:06 EST

Contents:
  Linux-friendly Printer (Jerry Houston)
  Mounting FAT32 at Startup (RH7) ("Randall Holobaugh")
  Is the Abit SA6R  mobo compatible with Linux? (Dr Aldo Medina)
  Re: fax server on linux for windows clients (Jason)
  CodeWarrior ? ("Bonny Gijzen")
  Promise FastSwap FastSwap66 ("Thomas Kaiblinger")
  Re: Mounting FAT32 at Startup (RH7) (DualIP)
  printer canon bjc-5100 (Jean-Christophe Roche)
  Re: scsi-DAT timeout & hangs (Lars Oergel)
  Re: Mounting FAT32 at Startup (RH7) (Glitch)
  Re: Linux system building - need a recommendation (jim dorey)
  Re: Ensoniq Soundscape works with Linux? ("Greg H.")
  Re: serial port monitor (Frank McNamara)
  Re: Linux-friendly Printer (Noble Pepper)
  Re: Old School (Harri Haataja)
  Re: Old School (Harri Haataja)
  Re: Linux system building - need a recommendation ("Adam Short")
  Re: tvcards ("Adam Short")
  Maxi Home Studio Pro doesn't work (Naamani Karim)
  APMS is killing my computer ("James C. Morris")

From: Jerry Houston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux-friendly Printer
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 05:39:38 GMT

Apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered recently ...
I'm new to Linux and new to this newsgroup.

After installing SuSE v7.0 on a formerly-Win2000 workstation at home,
I've found that there doesn't appear to be good support for the printer
I had been using until now.  It's a DeskJet 712C printer that's
connected to my wife's computer, another Win2000 machine.  There was a
reference to some way to make it work partially, but it seemed like a
lot of work for a partial solution that might not work well.

My printing needs at home are pretty lightweight, and her DeskJet has
served them well enough.  With that in mind, is there a similar printer
(maybe another model from HP?) that would serve the purpose, and yet be
easily installed to work with Linux?

In case it makes a difference, most of my printing will be documents in
StarOffice 5.2 and the occasional Web page from Netscape, so graphic
capability is needed, and color would be welcome, but not an absolute
requirement.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

    Jerry

------------------------------

From: "Randall Holobaugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mounting FAT32 at Startup (RH7)
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 23:50:45 -0600

I am running RedHat 7.0 and would like to have a drive mounted when I boot
the computer.
Currently, I type the following as root when I boot up:

mount -t vfat /dev/hda5 /mydirectory

Is there a way to have this done automatically at boot-up?

Randy

From: Dr Aldo Medina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is the Abit SA6R  mobo compatible with Linux?
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 23:59:38 -0600

Has somebody in here tried this motherboard?. It uses a 815e socket atx
with IDE raid. Some comments?. TIA

--
Linux User #98419         -o)    | I'm not paranoid! Which of my
http://counter.li.org      /\    | enemies told you this?

------------------------------

From: Jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.samba
Subject: Re: fax server on linux for windows clients
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 23:52:01 -0600

I use hylafax at work. we fax from HPUX and windows clients via an SMB
printer.  Worked like a charm for almost 3 years now.  I dont think I've
rebooted the sucker yet.  Did toast a modem, but its setup on a 4 modem
pool so it wasnt a big deal.

--
Jason
      www.cyborgworkshop.com

------------------------------

From: "Bonny Gijzen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CodeWarrior ?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 08:25:12 +0100

I am developing a free application, but now I want to port it to other
platforms.

Does anybody want to share Codewarrior with me?

Many regards,

Bonny Gijzen
www.h2deetoo.demon.nl

------------------------------

From: "Thomas Kaiblinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Promise FastSwap FastSwap66
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 08:05:12 GMT

Hello,

is the Promise FastSwap / FastSwap66 Controller supported by Linux? If yes,
where can I obtain the driver?
If no: Do you know any Hot Swap IDE RAID Controller supported by Linux?

Thank You for your answer

Tommy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DualIP)
Subject: Re: Mounting FAT32 at Startup (RH7)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 08:19:12 GMT

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 23:50:45 -0600, "Randall Holobaugh"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am running RedHat 7.0 and would like to have a drive mounted when I boot
>the computer.
>Currently, I type the following as root when I boot up:
>
>mount -t vfat /dev/hda5 /mydirectory
>
>Is there a way to have this done automatically at boot-up?

Just add an entry in /etc/fstab
man fstab....

DualIP

------------------------------

From: Jean-Christophe Roche <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: printer canon bjc-5100
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:14:02 +0100

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to install a canon bjc-5100 printer under
linux Mandrake 7.1 distribution. I have many problems. I have tested a
lot of default canon drivers (such as bjc-600, bjc-800, ...) with
different options, and nothing results ! This printer is working under
windows (it's no a printer problem).

Had someone install a such printer ?

Thanks.

Jean-Christophe

------------------------------

From: Lars Oergel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: scsi-DAT timeout & hangs
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 11:15:41 +0100

Risto Virtanen wrote:

> I'm experiencing problems with a SCSI DAT. The device is
> recognized correctly at boot:
> It seems I'm also able to write to the tape with tar. However,
> when I try to read the contents or the files written, the list is
> displayed, and the device hangs and will not be accessible any
> more (the tar process can not be killed, note the D):
>
> 881 tty3     D      0:00 tar -xvf /dev/nst0
> After that:
>
> > [root@server]# scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
> > pid 3411, scsi1, channel 0, id 6, lun 0 Space 01 ff ff ff 00
> > SCSI host 1 abort (pid 3411) timed out - resetting
> > SCSI bus is being reset for host 1 channel 0.
> > SCSI host 1 channel 0 reset (pid 3411) timed out - trying harder
> > SCSI bus is being reset for host 1 channel 0.
> The installation is from RedHat 6.2, kernel 2.2.14 SMP. Scsi card
> is Adaptec 2940 (?) using the aic7xxx, and the scsi disks are
> working without error. I'm told the DAT worked fine with NT.

Did you check the scsi-cable-length limitations? If you have more than
three scsi-devices (including controller) the maximum allowed over-all-
cable-length (with ultra-scsi) is only 1,5m! You should also check all
termination-settings.

Bye

  Lars

dipl.-informatiker                                      innominate AG
system engineer                                  the linux architects
tel: +49-30-308806-90   fax: -698           http://www.innominate.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 03:14:34 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

just put it in your /etc/fstab file and anything that's in there is done
automatically (obviously this is true as you don't manually mount / do
you?)

From: jim dorey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux system building - need a recommendation
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:49:52 GMT

thbbbbb!!!

------------------------------

From: "Greg H." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ensoniq Soundscape works with Linux?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 11:10:30 GMT

Jorge Alvarez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've decided to sell my Ensoniq Elite Soundscape (it's already on eBay @
> $5.00). I wonder if someone could please confirm or deny if this ISA
> soundcard works well with Linux distributions, i.e., if it easy to detect
> and configure, etc. This way I will add the info to my auction on eBay.

AFAIK, the Soundscape line will only function as an 8-bit soundcard in Linux.
I had a "vanilla" ES card and it was a bitch to get to work under Linux.  I
tried the OSS/Linux drivers from 4Front-Technology and though it made it easier
to set up, it hung my system.  YMMV, but I would suggest getting a real-deal
Sound Blaster card.  Avoid the Sound Blaster WaveEffects card.  I got my hands
on an old SB16 and it works great.  Make sure that whatever you get has a true
16-bit DMA.

Greg

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 12:57:37 +0100
From: Frank McNamara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: serial port monitor

elvis devenyn wrote:

> Dear,
>
> I'm a newby so please do not kill me.
> In order to debug my hardware I would like to send and receive
> ascii characters from/to the ttyS1 port.
> (spec's serial line  : 9600 baud, 1 stop bit, no hard/software controle)
>
> I have tried to use minicom, (version 1.83.0  included into the red hat
> package 6.2)
> but no characters were send or received.
>
> What could be wrong?
>
> Kind regards,
> Dd

You don't say what happens (program seems to work but no output, program
crashes etc.etc)
You could always try a simple
  echo "Some text to output" > /dev/ttyS1

If you get a message
  bash: /dev/ttyS1: Permission denied
Then you might do better to try this as root.

What happended when you did
  stty < /dev/ttyS1  (or stty -a < /dev/ttyS1)

Shame that nobody answered your question, I hope this was of some small
help, even if only to say that someone read you question!

Best wishes - Frank McNamara
P.S. If you want further corespondense, best write to
http:[EMAIL PROTECTED], since I'm not a regular or ardent reader
of newsgroups.

------------------------------

From: Noble Pepper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux-friendly Printer
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 00:15:44 -0600

Jerry Houston wrote:

> Apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered recently ...
> I'm new to Linux and new to this newsgroup.
>
> After installing SuSE v7.0 on a formerly-Win2000 workstation at home,
> I've found that there doesn't appear to be good support for the printer
> I had been using until now.  It's a DeskJet 712C printer that's
> connected to my wife's computer, another Win2000 machine.  There was a
> reference to some way to make it work partially, but it seemed like a
> lot of work for a partial solution that might not work well.
>
> My printing needs at home are pretty lightweight, and her DeskJet has
> served them well enough.  With that in mind, is there a similar printer
> (maybe another model from HP?) that would serve the purpose, and yet be
> easily installed to work with Linux?
>
> In case it makes a difference, most of my printing will be documents in
> StarOffice 5.2 and the occasional Web page from Netscape, so graphic
> capability is needed, and color would be welcome, but not an absolute
> requirement.
>
> Thanks in advance for your recommendations!
>
>     Jerry
The best support is with a postscript printer. If you don't want to spend
that much then you will need to use ghostscript, check
www.linuxprinting.org to see what printers it supports best.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harri Haataja)
Subject: Re: Old School
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 12:43:25 GMT

Dances With Crows wrote:
>On Sat, 18 Nov 2000 01:36:48 +0000, Michael V. Ferranti wrote:
>>And John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:
>>>Give Debian a try.
>>
>>      Can you still do without apt, or have they gone the way of RedHat and
>>made their distros package-manager dependant?  I'm thinking of switching to
>>Debian, but I don't want to get stuck with a commercialized version of
>>Linux that may or may not become a success.
>
>Parse error:  "Debian" and "commercialized" without an "isn't" in between.
>Core dumped.
<snip>

Man, that's a flaky parser  ;-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harri Haataja)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 12:46:56 GMT

Mike Hall wrote:
>"Michael V. Ferranti" wrote:
<snip>

>>         That's good to hear, backward compatibility with tarballs, which still
>> seems to be the most common form of package management and distribution.
>
>And the same as "no package management at all".  Sure, they might come with
>a Makefile that lets you "make install", which puts files all over your system.
>How many let you "make uninstall"?  How do you determine which version you
>have loaded?  What other packages rely on it?

Or check if a file has been changed since last install or did another package
overwrite /usr/bin/blah and why did that happen in the first place. What package
owns that file? Now what options did I use to build the last apache again...

------------------------------

From: "Adam Short" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 13:17:00 GMT

I have the ABIT KT7 RAID and if you are only after it for the ATA100 support
I wouldn't bother. Thats the reason I got it and I'm afraid it simply
doesn't work. It may work when using a RAID array but for a single drive
system I'm afraid its pants. I've tried everything anyone has ever suggested
to me and it just doesn't work. Pants pants pants. In short, don't buy it.
Just settle for a non-RAID board and buy the controller separately.

On the other hand I would go with the AMD all the way. Its cheaper and as
far as I can see it is at least as good as the PIII if not better.

Your choice of video card worries me slightly. I don't know if anyone has
managed to get one to work or not. I have the ATI Xpert2000 and while it is
dodgy as hell in Windows it works flawlessly in Linux. ATI tend to be fairly
well supported and if I had to pick a video card again I would probably
still get the one I have (despite crappy windows drivers).

If you want to go for the cheaper second-hand option I don't see any problem
with that either. Might as well save yourself some money.

Mandrake is quite forgiving and you shouldn't have much problem installing
it and setting everything up. As I say, your main problem is likely to be
with the video card (although a brand new sound card could cause problems
too). In the sound department I would steer clear of anything that isn't
immediately compatible (unless you want to pay for a commercial licence for
OSS, not too expensive, but why pay if its not necessary?)

You will learn a lot more about what works and what doesn't when you've put
it all together. Sometimes its the combination of stuff that causes the
problem. I'm afraid that once you've made some relatively sensible choices
you are on your own. I bought stuff that I thought I'd have no problem with
and while I didn't have any problems in the main, there were still things I
could have changed to make my life easier (the Aureal Vortex 2 soundcard
springs effortlessly to mind!).

My advice is to just take the plunge and tweak it afterwards. Most of the
stuff you said you would buy seems reasonable and the stuff that perhaps
isn't I've highlighted. Look into that and then pick the best option for
yourself. You'll only really know if it works when you try it. Its a bitch
but thats life.

Adam

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Adam Short" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: tvcards
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 13:21:09 GMT

The BTTV drivers and the Pinnacle PCTV spring to mind. Thats what I've got
and they work beautifully. Basically anything with a BT848 chipset on it
should work under Linux with the BTTV drivers. I've heard that the BT878
chipset can also be used but I don't know anything about it. Try searching
the web for "video4linux" or "bttv" you should turn up some documents that
will help you with your decision. I did have some bookmarked somewhere but
I've re-installed since and lost the lot. Sorry.

Adam

news:8v8fpo$18vk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Naamani Karim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Maxi Home Studio Pro doesn't work
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 14:32:03 +0100

Hi,

My Maxi Home Studio Pro 64 doesn't work with my Mandrake 7.2.
I don't know how to configure it (or the kernel) ?

Thanks !

- Karim Naamani - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "James C. Morris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: APMS is killing my computer
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 14:04:19 GMT

I'm thinking that this is the problem any way. If I leave the computer for
awhile it will go to sleep and I can wake it backup, but when I go home for
the night the server will go to sleep and will only work again once I have
restarted it. I have looked for ways to turn this off, but have yet to find
one. Any help? Is it a Kernel thing. That is my next thing to do is
recompile it, but I'm trying to find out where I do that and keep the
setting I already have. Thanks all. Chris Morris