Linux-Hardware Digest #918, Volume #13           Mon, 20 Nov 00 13:13:06 EST

Contents:
  Re: fax server on linux for windows clients (James Knott)
  Re: D-Link DWL-650 wireless LAN PCMCIA card ("Gregor N. Purdy")
  Re: SCSI host (Harold Bower)
  Re: ATI - TV WONDER (Thierry Dart)
  Re: Sagem USB ISDN Adapter (Michel)
  Driver writing help ("Bill & Alice Roosa")
  Re: Agfa digital camera ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  SAMBA and fax server for windows clients ("Darren Welson")
  Logitech Scrolling wheel mouse ("Darren Welson")
  Re: Linux-friendly Printer (JD Hicks)
  Re: Agfa digital camera ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Milnimal hardware ("Ant Smith")
  NE2000 ISA Network Card ("Konstantin Schauwecker")
  blueyonder cable modems and linux (arse)
  Re: Logitech Scrolling wheel mouse ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: APMS is killing my computer ( Black Dragon)
  modem type for juno ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Driver writing help (Andrey Vlasov)
  SMP system with AMD micros (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9?= Manuel
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Ben=EDtez=20S=E1nchez?=)

From: James Knott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.samba
Subject: Re: fax server on linux for windows clients
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 14:32:09 GMT

Frank Miller wrote:

> James Knott wrote:
> >
> > Darren and Marla Welson wrote:
> > >
> > > I need a fax server package that I can run on my Linux firewall/server that
> > > allows windows clients to access faxes and send faxes.  I looked at HylaFAX,
> > > but it is a Linux server and requires an additional package for windows
> > > clients to interact with it.  What has anyone used in the past to accomplish
> > > this, or is this a nightmare?
> >
> > You might want to look into PMFax for Linux. As I recall,
> > they have (had?) a network version.  The OS/2 version is
> > excellent.  I downloaded the Linux version a few days ago.
> >
> > You can find them @ http://www.kellergroup.com/
> >
> > --
> > Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly
> > ignored.
> > To reply, replace everything to the left of "@" with
> > "james.knott".
>
> Did you get PMFax lite to work?  I can't change the port.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

--

------------------------------

From: "Gregor N. Purdy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: D-Link DWL-650 wireless LAN PCMCIA card
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:47:24 +0500
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable

David Hinds helped me work out the details for getting the DWL-650
working on my laptop. Here are the details:

  1. Add some information to /etc/pcmcia/conf:

    card "D-Link DWL-650"
      manfid 0x0156, 0x0002
      bind "wvlan_cs"

  2. Run 'netconf' and add an adaptor that is otherwise blank, but
      has "wvlan0" filled in as the interface name.

Once I did this, things worked wonderfully and automatically upon
boot up and upon card insertion.

Thanks, David!

-- Gregor

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:48:54 +0000
From: Harold Bower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI host

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I need a cheap 50pin SCSI controller, is there any reason not to buy a
> Tekram DC 315U? A website is offering them for 20US$ each. The only
> thing I am planning on using it for is to connect a single scsi hd (the
> boot drive, only drive if you want to get technical). I think I've read
> that tekram is at least somewhat pro-linux, which is nice.
>
> What does the term Bios-less mean?
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I use the DC-390U (50-pin Fast SCSI II) in three systems.  It has a BIOS
Extension ROM which allows it to be used as a boot drive, or to access
the drive from DOS with no additional drivers (Firmware in the BIOS
Extension ROM has the code).  I currently have one of them in a K6-2/350
machine with a new drive and get over 20 MB/S transfer rate.  The ROM
also has diagnostics which may help with diagnosis if you can tolerate a
DOS boot.

Hal

------------------------------

From: Thierry Dart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATI - TV WONDER
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 17:11:36 +0100

Try GATOS : http://www.core.binghamton.edu/~insomnia/gatos/
I used it with a ATI allin wonser pro with mandrake 7.0.
It works very fine (better than windows software !!).

Thierry

miked wrote:

> ive been looking for ati tv wonder drivers for ever does anyone know where
> i can find them? im desperate
>
> thanks
> miked

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc
Subject: Re: Sagem USB ISDN Adapter
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michel)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:11:34 GMT

Chris Boot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone know of any way to get the Sagem USB ISDN adapter working with
> Linux?  I'm using Kernel 2.2.17 with the 2.4 USB patches.  I am willing to
> upgrade if necessary.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Chris Boot

There is no way it can work; that device is 'active' and needs
proprietary code to be uploaded into it. The device itself is also very
different from other ISDN cards/adapters etc; it has no 'modem emulation
mode' like most of them for example.

An ex-sagem developer

--
Remove the obvious from the email address before replying.

------------------------------

From: "Bill & Alice Roosa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Driver writing help
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:52:23 -0500

Hello everyone.  I am the proud owner of a new redhat 6.2 linux system that
has a rockwell sound/modem (yes I know it is not supported).  I have some
programming experience but have never written any thing like a driver.  What
would be a good place to start to get familiar with writing drivers?  Also
is there such a thing as a "generic" driver?  Since drivers are in assembly
language, can you suggest a good (a.k.a. free) assembly compiler?  If some
of these questions are stupid it is because they are and I'm totally out of
my league with this linux stuff.
Thanks for your help
Bill Roosa

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Agfa digital camera
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:20:22 GMT

I didn't see it on the list from the previous
post, but the Agfa CL-30 also supports serial
downloads as well as USB.  Unfortunately, my
brand new CL-30 never worked w/serial only USB.
Just received a replacement camera on Friday.  It
worked for 12 downloads then went belly up!  Back
to Agfa support today. What model do you have?
Bruce

In article <8u5tp3$ri0$06$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> http://www.gphoto.org/cameras.html
>
> 5 Agfas are supported.
>
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"Vegard K Bakken"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hi! Is there an easy way to download images
from my Agfa digital camera

From: "Darren Welson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: SAMBA and fax server for windows clients
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 07:56:41 -0800

Has anyone successfully set up a fax server, like efax, that works through
SAMBA?  I am interested in running efax on my Linux firewall / router box
and allowing windows clients to access the modem to send and receive faxes.
Anyone had any success?

------------------------------

From: "Darren Welson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.sys.sun.hardware,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Logitech Scrolling wheel mouse
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 07:53:37 -0800

Anyone know how to make my 3-button Logitech scrolling mouse work in Linux
(and UNIX)?

------------------------------

From: JD Hicks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux-friendly Printer
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:25:57 -0600

SuSE has support for a Color DeskJet 670 which will probably work fine
as a color printer Driver. I'm not sure what you mean by "good support."
  Are you running Samba?  Is the DeskJet connected to the Linux Box or
the Windoze Box? I have a mixed environment of Windoze/98 and Linux with
printers on all boxes using DeskJet's and LaserJets without problem.
Let me know.

JD

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:25:32 GMT

From: "Ant Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Milnimal hardware
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 18:45:37 +0200

=======_NextPart_000_0025_01C05322.12AD13A0

Hi

I am busy developing a web application running on Linux, Apache, PHP and =
MySQL. I need to have the web app running on several (>20) small LAN's =
(<10 users) and am looking at a cost effective hardware platform on =
which to install the application. My aim is to provide clients with a =
solution in the box much like the Cube from Cobalt networks. Is there =
any similar product that is cheaper? At present I have the option of =
either a Cube or just setting up a Red Hat box on a normal very low end =
PC. The Cube costs about 3 times the PC route for me.

I really will appreciate any input.

Thanks

--=20
Ant Smith (PhD)
Complete Outsourcing
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.completeoutsourcing.com
Tel: 083 414 0550
Fax: 083 8 414 0550

=======_NextPart_000_0025_01C05322.12AD13A0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Hi</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I am busy developing a web application running =
on Linux,=20
Apache, PHP and MySQL. I need to have the web app running on several =
(&gt;20)=20
small LAN's (&lt;10 users) and am looking at a cost effective hardware =
platform=20
on which to install the application. My aim is to provide clients with a =

solution in the box much like the Cube from Cobalt networks. Is there =
any=20
similar product that is cheaper? At present I have the option of either =
a Cube=20
or just setting up a Red Hat box on a normal very low end PC. The Cube =
costs=20
about 3 times the PC route for me.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I really will appreciate any input.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Thanks</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><BR>-- <BR>Ant Smith (PhD)<BR>Complete =
Outsourcing<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</=
href=3D"http://www.completeoutsourcing.com">www.completeoutsourcing.com</=
A><BR>Tel:=20
083 414 0550<BR>Fax: 083 8 414 0550</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

From: "Konstantin Schauwecker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NE2000 ISA Network Card
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 17:43:33 +0100

Hi everybody
I've a NE200 compartible ISA Network card. I used it in an old 486 linux
machine. Now I put it into a P200 MMX PC with linux. Although it is detected
by isapnp I get an error like this while booting:
ne.c: No card found at io=0x300

pnpdump told me, that possible io ranges are 0x200-0x3e0. I also tried some
other ranges with no effect. I'm using SuSE Linux 7 (My old 486 used the
version 6.2 or 6.4, im not sure)

Can anybody help me?

Thanks,
Konstantin Schauwecker

------------------------------

From: arse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: blueyonder cable modems and linux
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:42:17 GMT

does anyone know of any incompatabilities between linux and blueyonder
icable modems.
i am thinking getting it.
--
[][][]{}{}~~';:.<<//?|1¬!"£$$%^^&*(())__+/*+
oooh random characters i must be coool!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.sys.sun.hardware,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Logitech Scrolling wheel mouse
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 11:17:42 -0600

In article <8vbhe7$mkt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Darren Welson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Anyone know how to make my 3-button Logitech scrolling mouse work in Linux
> (and UNIX)?

I shall assume you mean for scrolling with the wheel.
use imwheel or alternately XF86-4.0.x depending as I understand
4.0 natively support wheels after a fashion.  Only used imwheel myself.
Works fine.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ( Black Dragon )
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: APMS is killing my computer
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 17:14:30 GMT

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 14:04:19 GMT in comp.os.linux.help,
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> `James C. Morris' said:

: I'm thinking that this is the problem any way. If I leave the computer for
: awhile it will go to sleep and I can wake it backup, but when I go home for
: the night the server will go to sleep and will only work again once I have
: restarted it. I have looked for ways to turn this off, but have yet to find
: one. Any help? Is it a Kernel thing. That is my next thing to do is
: recompile it, but I'm trying to find out where I do that and keep the
: setting I already have. Thanks all. Chris Morris

Two things,

#1) Disable APM in your system BIOS.
#2) Disable apmd in your rc init scripts. "chkconfig apmd off"

Only if that fails will you have to build a kernel without APM support.

--
Black Dragon

Sign The Linux Driver Petition:
http://www.libralinux.com/petition.english.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: modem type for juno
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 17:06:41 GMT

I've been using linux for years.
never once have i needed to know what my modem was compatable with.
it just always worked.  recently i've been trying to get wine to run
juno for email but i can't get past the modem setup.
is something i can check that will tell me what my modem "looks like" to
the OS so that i can tell the "juno setup" what i have.
my modem is a generic 33.6 but i'm not sure what it's a generic of.

thanks

--
phrostie
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of dos

From: Andrey Vlasov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Driver writing help
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 17:58:09 GMT

Hi Bill,

probably you have to start from next book

it is outdated but there is no alternative. New kernel is very diffrent but
still you
will able understand the source code of the kernel after reading. No, you can
just
go into /usr/src/linux directory and see by yourself that almost all drivers is
wroted
in C with some Assembler inclusion. You do not need to install Assembler as it
goes
with Redhat. For more details about Assemler try type "man as" and if you
installed
development tools you will get GNU Assembler man page.

Andrey

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9?= Manuel =?iso-8859-1?Q?Ben=EDtez=20S=E1nchez?=
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: SMP system with AMD micros
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 18:31:29 +0100

Hi,
        This is a request for information on SMP machines with AMD micros (K6
II and up). As far as I knew, there were no motherboard designed to work
two or more of these processors. However, a colleague of mine insists in
that he's already read something on the web regarding one of these
machines (Have a look at http://www.combatsim.com/htm/mar99/k7amd.htm).
Has anybody further information about these machines? Could you point me
to some URLs on the net about the subject?
        Thanks in advance!
        Greetings!

        José Manuel
--
Jose Manuel Benitez Sanchez            e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dpto. de Ciencias de la Computacion e Inteligencia Artificial