From: Carsten Link <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem: ATI Xpert 2000 (Rage 128) not detected (XFree 4.0 SuSE 7.0)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:24:58 +0100

Hello,

I got a new ATI Xpert 2000 with rage 128 chip on it and XFree 4.0
doesn't
work. I tried Sax2 on it, but the problem seems to be that the chip is
not detected.

As you can see in the following output of lspci:
"ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 5247 (prog-if 00 [VGA])
Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 0008"

I think thats the root of all problems. But I really can't imagine that
a ATI chip is
not supported. Did ATI just change some identifing strings or numbers?

Is there anybody out there? (Who can help me.) I already tried to find
some information
on dejanews, ATI's site, and SuSE support data base, but found no
solution.
I thought "Buy an ATI, plug it in, and it works".

Thanks in advance,

Carsten.

Here is the output of lspci -vv:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX - 82443BX/ZX Host bridge
(rev 03)
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
                Command: RQ=0 SBA- AGP- 64bit- FW- Rate=<none>

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX - 82443BX/ZX AGP bridge
(rev 03) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 64
        Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=64
        I/O behind bridge: 0000d000-0000dfff
        Memory behind bridge: e8000000-e9ffffff
        Prefetchable memory behind bridge: e4000000-e7ffffff
        BridgeCtl: Parity- SERR- NoISA- VGA+ MAbort- >Reset- FastB2B+

00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle+ MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0

00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
(prog-if 80 [Master])
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 64
        Region 4: I/O ports at f000

00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
(prog-if 00 [UHCI])
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 0
        Interrupt: pin D routed to IRQ 10
        Region 4: I/O ports at e000

00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-

00:09.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905 100BaseTX
[Boomerang]
        Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Latency: 64 (750ns min, 2000ns max)
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 5
        Region 0: I/O ports at e400
        Expansion ROM at ea000000 [disabled]

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Triton problem with 2.2.X...
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:03:07 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Daniel =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fern=E1ndez?= Garrido <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>    I'm trying to compile a 2.2 kernel on a Pentium machine with a TX
> chipset and a i82371 Triton PCI.
>
>    When I use a 2.0.36 kernel and activate the triton module, it works
> perfectly. But when I build a 2.2.17 (or 2.2.12, or any 2.2.X) that
> module does not exist, but it exists a Generic DMA bus mastering
module
> instead.
>    I enable this module and when the kernel starts, it crashes. It
just
> reboots the machine after checking PCI and saying he has encountered a
> PIIX4 and trying to detect hda (I can't read many things here, it's
> reboots really fast!).

I've got a similar problem. But a milder one. I've got a trinitron
chipset too, the kernel 2.2.13 and 2.2.17 compiled ok with the Generic
DMA support, I can use the drive, everything seems to be fine BUT -
hdparm -tT reports speeds of about 4.9 MB/sec maximum with -m16c1u1
options. hdparm -I gives
 DblWordIO=no, maxPIO=2(fast), DMA=yes, maxDMA=0(slow)
 tDMA={min:120,rec:120}, DMA modes: mword0 mword1 *mword2
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:160,w/IORDY:120}, PIO modes: mode3 mode4
from which I was not sure whether or not DMA is enabled. And the problem
appear when I try hdparm -d1 (-X12):
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 setting xfermode to 12 (PIO flow control mode4)
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

I posted this problem on comp.os.linux.networking before (it started as
'slow connection?') and Karl Heyes suggested that I use
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX and CONFIG_PIIX_TUNING options in the kernel
configuration. BUT - this options ARE present in 2.2.13 for instance,
but NOT in 2.2.17... BTW, Daniel, you can try 2.2.13 with these options
enabled and let me know the result - I have a smallish (1.6G WDC
AC21600H) disk and can't keep several kernels, sorry...

Anybody - any ideas?

Thanks
G. Liakhovetski

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: "Richard Snow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.x.video
Subject: Re: Video Driver
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:13:08 GMT

I have this chipset.  You must add Option "no_accel" to
your device section. Also it may not recognize all of your
video ram.  Try adding the option for the video ram size
(can't recall what this is right off since my ISP is Windows-based).

If you are getting no readable display at all when you run
XConfigurator or the X portion of the RedHat install you
may have selected a video mode which your monitor does
not support.  Try using 640x480 standard VGA to get your system up, then
trying higher resolutions that you know your monitor should support.

For the mouse cursor not working right also add the option "sw_cursor"

news:J3BM5.48683$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Guennadi V. Liakhovetski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:25:34 +0000

> I've got a similar problem. But a milder one. I've got a trinitron

Ops, I meant triton, of course:-)

G. Liakhovetski
___

Dr. Guennadi V. Liakhovetski
Department of Applied Mathematics
University of Sheffield
U.K.
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: arse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DMA and channels
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:48:37 GMT

could some one tell me what they are?
i get errors about them in isapnp.conf on boot up.

--
[][][]{}{}~~';:.<<//?|1¬!"£$$%^^&*(())__+/*+
oooh random characters i must be coool!

From: "Miles Clapham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI bios (NCR)
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:11:19 -0000

Hello,

I'm looking for a bios upgrade for my onboard (on an Elitegroup (ECS) SA486
AIO-U) SDMS 53ncr810 bios. I hope I've got the version numbers right :-).
I've checked everwhere on the internet that I could find relevant to it, but
could only find one, broken link to a bios file. I'm trying to install
RedHat linux 7.0 on it, but when it comes to loading the scsi driver, the
system just sort of hangs, and doesn't do anything. I've read somewhere that
it is almost impossible to install linux with a bios before 3.06.00, and I
have 3.04.00 :-(. I've e-mailed ECS tech support, but they can't seem to
help me. Maybe not surprising since the board was made in '93..

Anyway, I'd really really appreciate it if someone could send me a bios, or
point me in the right direction. Maybe there's a way to get the bios off
your system, and then send me the file?

Thanks,

Miles Clapham

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install
Subject: VIA 82C686 sound card - 16bit sound
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:48:49 GMT

I run RH7.0 on a Duron 700 with en Epox K-something mainboard - with a
K?T?133 chipset.  The builtin soundcard is the AC97 VIA 82C686A south
bridge.  With the default install, I ran Redhat's sndconfig, and
I can use the system perfectly for playing CDs, but MP3s et cetera only
play at 8bit.  Running mpg123 tries 16bit 44kHz &c. before finally
being reduced to a rather grungy 8bit 22kHz.  This is something my
fairly high-end hifi doesn't really want to be heard playing!

Here's the output of 'cat /proc/sndstat' :
OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux localhost.localdomain 2.2.16-22 #1 Mon Nov 20 15:08:32 GMT
2000 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:
0: VIA 82Cxxx Audio driver 1.1.2.1 (3.02)

Synth devices:

Midi devices:
0: Sound Blaster
1: VIA 82Cxxx Audio driver 1.1.2.1

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:
0: via82cxxxAC97Mixer
1: Sound Blaster

Can anybody help with enabling my 16bit sound!!!

Thanks
Giles Morant

From: "mire" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Uninteruptible power supply
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 13:18:14 +0100

Anyone got any ups except APC working under linux ?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: SoundBlaster 128 PCI - supported?
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 16:09:21 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Kenneth Rørvik"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michal Szymanski) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>Is SoundBlaster 128 PCI supported by Linux, say in Redhat 6.2?
>
> Yes - you need support for either the ES1370 or the ES1371 chip.

You will get sound, but no joystick, and if you want to play MIDI you`ll
either have to use timidity
(http://www.goice.co.jp/member/mo/timidity/dist/download.html) or download
the ALSA drivers (www.alsa-project.org), which provide both joystick and
midi interface.

BTW, the 2.4.0-testX do have joystick support in the standard es1371
driver.

---
PS: please reply per email too where possible!!

  --                        --                           --
The Information Revolution will be fought on the command line.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux Kernel 2.4.0-test10 for i815e mainboard + onboard video
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 15:56:28 -0500

In article <84YP5.2056$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm trying to build a Linux Kernel for the Asus CUSL2 board. I'm using
> the on-board video (don't need 3D games).
>
> Anyway, I'm new to Linux kernel building. I've been able to generate
> working kernels that boot for 2.2.17 and 2.4.0-test10 -- but have not
> been able to get the 2.4.0-test10 to compile with AGP support.  In other
> words, my kernels will boot and work fine -- except I can't start X
> Windows like I can with my Redhat 2.2.16-22 kernel (missing i810 chipset
> support, agpgart module).
>
> I'm using Redhat 7.0 with updates (in particular, modutils updated to
> latest).
>
> My Question
> ==============
> My question is pretty simple: Anyone out there doing 2.4.0-test builds
> for a i815e chipset mainboard with on-board video. Can you help me
> figure out what settings I should use for the kernel compile?
>
> Thanks.
>
>   Stephen Gutknecht Renton, Washington

Make sure that:
       - you did say yes during kernel config to _both_ the driver for your
         chipset _and_ the agpgart driver?
       - if you compiled them as modules both are loaded when you fire up X?

---

From: "rfisher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: eepro100.c problem
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 06:56:04 -0800

Greetings fellow Linux fanatics,

I've recently been building a Slackware 7.1 (2.2.16) box (Arista 1U PIII
550) with the Intel Ether Express 100 NIC.  I hadn't been having any issues
with the eepro100.c module (I compiled a monolythic kernel) until I put it
on a routed network.  I have an intermittent boot issue I can't figure out.
Sometimes when I boot, I'm seeing WAIT_FOR_CMD_DONE eepro100.c repeating
error at the end of the boot cycle.  It will even prevent me from logging on
to the default session.  I don't know if its having problems properly
binding or perhaps finding the gateway due to traffic.  This seems to be the
only module out there for the 2.0 and 2.2 kernel.  Anyone shed some light on
this.. I'm still fairly new to Linux.. my brain is still polluted with 5
years of NT.. :)

Thanks for any advice

Ron

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Allen Wong)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: ava-1502 ISA scsi controller
Date: 21 Nov 2000 15:14:59 GMT

In alt.os.linux.slackware "The infamous \"Brian\"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi:

> I am trying to fire up an Adaptec ava-1502 ISA scsi controller for a
> scanner.

> It runs on an Adaptec AIC-6360 chip and is manually configured for 0x140 i/o
> and irq 9.

> How do I tell the aha-152x module the correct settings?

Try this at the "Lilo:" prompt:

linux aha152x=0x140,9

If this works, add this line to your /etc/lilo.conf:

append="aha152x=0x340,9"

HTH

Allen
--
Linux:  If you're not careful, you might actually learn something.
  7:00am  up 11:30,  8 users,  load average: 3.01, 3.06, 3.01

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Powerdown problems with new kernel 2.4
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 16:20:51 -0500

In article <HGBR5.112391$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Frank
Worsley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I am having some automatic powerdown problems again. I upgraded my
> kernel from the RedHat 7 default to 2.4.0-test10. However, now my
> automatic powerdown does not work again. Using the 'poweroff' or 'halt
> -p' commands the system enters the shutdowns sequence and the message
> 'Power Down' is displayed at the very end. However the system never
> powers off.
>
> Anyone got any ideas? I have APM/ACPI support enabled in the kernel and
> my ACPI BIOS is detected when I check the boot messages, it also says
> something along the lines: "[acpi] APM is already enabled" during boot.
> I also have the apmd running.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Frank

load the module "apm.o" before powering down!

From: Hubertus Tummescheit <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sony MiniDisc MDH-10
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 16:27:23 +0100

Hi,

I got a strange piece of Hardware inot my hands: a Sony MiniDisc Data
Drive, Type MHD-10. You assume that one can use normal audio MiniDiscs
in them. The if I connect the drive to my scsi-bus, it is easily
recognized as an sg (scsi generic I guess) and I can see the drive in
the /proc file system.

Does anybody know how to format a MiniDisc? I assume that I can use it
as a raw device and read/write tar-archives to it, but I would prefer to
use it as a usual magneto-optical drive. Any idea where I can find
parameters for formating? Once a disc is formatted, it should be easy to
mount.

I would really hate it if I could only use the drive under Windows.

Thanks for any hint

Hubertus Tummescheit                 email(remove _):
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dep. of Automatic Control              url:
http://www.control.lth.se/~hubertus
Lund Institute of Technology
Box 118, SE-22100 Lund, Sweden

------------------------------

From: Jeff Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Disappearing file system ??
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:02:50 -0500

I had a RedHat 6.1 system running just fine with two hard disks setup
like this:

disk 1 Seagate IDE 8GB
partition 1 windoze
partition 2 swap
partition 3 linux ext2
partition 4 linux ext2

disk 2 Maxtor IDE 30GB
partition 1 windoze
partition 2 linux ext2
partition 3 linux (no file system yet)
partition 4 linux (no file system yet)

everything was working just fine until my motherboard died (ABIT BH6,
Intel chip set).

I replaced the motherboard with a new model (ABIT KT7-RAID, VIA chip
set) and now there's a problem.  I can mount the VFAT partition ok
(/dev/hdb1), but the file system on disk2, partition 2 (/dev/hdb2)
appears to be gone.

When I execute the mount command, it reports no ext2 file system found.
I get the same message when attempting to use alternate super blocks.

I've tried various BIOS settings for the disk without any luck so far.

Any ideas?  Please e-mail!

Thanks,

Jeff Taylor