Linux-Hardware Digest #926, Volume #13           Wed, 22 Nov 00 05:13:08 EST

Contents:
  Re: ssh and X windows remote (Liquor)
  Re: eepro100.c problem (ron fisher)
  error compiling tulip.c, which file with -I? (Peter Bismuti)
  Re: Cannot eject empty SCSI CD-RW (Martha H Adams)
  Re: NVidia GeForce 256 DDR Acceleration ("Chris Warren")
  idconfig fail, hd lists not found ("Scott Bearden")
  ne2000 setup problems ("D. Abuan")
  Compaq Armada M700 Display ("Erwin")
  connecting external LVD disks to a PC? (Michal Szymanski)
  Re: Linux-friendly Printer (Michael Meissner)
  Re: Powerdown problems with new kernel 2.4 (Kenneth Rørvik)
  Strange SBlive Prob
  Video Graphics card recommendations? ("JT")
  Re: Software RAID
  Re: error compiling tulip.c, which file with -I? (Eric)
  Re: connecting external LVD disks to a PC? ("Ron Reaugh")
  Re: Problem: ATI Xpert 2000 (Rage 128) not detected (XFree 4.0 SuSE 7.0) (Carsten
Link)
  Soltek SL-KV75+ (Jacek Trzcinski)
  Re: SCA -> 68Pins or 50Pins TKs
  Re: connecting external LVD disks to a PC? (Daniel Bush)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Liquor)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: ssh and X windows remote
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:16:15 GMT

The moving finger attributed to Darren Welson did write:

) I have a router machine that is not running X, and has a piss-poor video
) card that I wouldn't dare running X on.  I have SSHD running so I can login
) remotely.  If I install the packages for X, can I remotely run X or will it
) drag worthlessly?
)
Yes you can - If you are worried about loading, just make sure you
don't start the X-server on the router machine.  There's very little
overhead in running an X-client such as an xterm or emacs as most of
the work is done by the machine with the windows manager and display.
If you want to do heavy manipulation in GIMP or similar application
intensive work, however, it will drag on a slow box regarless of the
power of the X-server box.

( I know all this because I use this method with a date-challenged and
brain-dead firewall box. )

(P&E unless spamtrapped)

Liquor
My opinions and suggestions are unwarranted.
I might follow my advice - YMMV

------------------------------

From: ron fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: eepro100.c problem
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 20:33:33 -0800

Thank you, I will give it a try.. of course now I can't get it to fail.  go
figure.

Ron

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti)
Subject: error compiling tulip.c, which file with -I?
Date: 22 Nov 2000 04:57:56 GMT

I've been told that the problem with this is that I have not used the -I
flag.  Here's another command I've tried that gives the same message but
uses the -I flag.  The problem here is that the file specified is missing.
My question is where is the new file in Redhat7.0?

gcc -D__SMP__ -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c  '[ -f /usr/include/linux/modversions.h ]
&& echo -DMODVERSIONS'

This came the linksys page I believe and is for machines with two processors.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martha H Adams)
Subject: Re: Cannot eject empty SCSI CD-RW
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 05:18:46 GMT

You don't say if you checked to see if your empty drive is still mounted.
Could the system be referring to its internal memory somewhere and thinks
the drive is still mounted with the CD that was last in it?

Run a df and see if your drive is still listed there.

Cheers -- Martha Adams

------------------------------

From: "Chris Warren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: NVidia GeForce 256 DDR Acceleration
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 00:35:42 -0500

you have to get the cvs version of the driver check on nvidia's site in the
faq they tell you where to go to get it.. hope you have better luck than i..
i'm still trying to get the drivers to simply install on 2.2.17 (ML7.2) and
it's been nothing but a pain thus far.. good luck!
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Scott Bearden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: idconfig fail, hd lists not found
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 06:07:35 GMT

I get those two errors immediately after it installs the packages on
Mandrake 7.2.  Now I cannot install Winblows or Linux and fdisk hangs and
the Max blast software fails too.  Nothing is wrong with the disks(oh I
forgot to mention this is on two hard drives, a 20 and a 40 gig Maxtor)
atleast not that the maxdiagnostic program finds.  The 40 gig had W2k and
the 20 had Mandrake 7.2beta3.  When I went to install the 7.2  final, it all
went down the drain.  Without a product fail code from Maxtor's software I
cannot get replacements, and I find it too coincidental that both drives
fail simultaneously.  Has any body seen this one before?

------------------------------

From: "D. Abuan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: ne2000 setup problems
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 06:59:16 GMT

I'm tackling another little project at work and ran into
some real basic problem.  I can't get two ethernet cards to work on a P100
64MB RAM, 10 GB HD.

I have two identical Linksys Etherlan 16 network cards.

alias eth0 ne
alias eth1 ne
eth0  io=0x300 irq=3
eth1 io=0x340 irq =10

These cards were both configured using the standard linksys utility to set
these parameters.

I have done a fresh install of RH6.2 and don't have either of these cards
detected. Yet when I add them to the conf.modules file as above, and run
a ifconfig eth0 up, the card gets recognized but doing the same to eth1, it
gives
me an error where it can't find the cards at all.

Checking the ioports and interrups indicate that there is no conflicts with
these card settings.

I ran the diagnostic check on both cards and the utility said that they were
both
fine.

On a reboot with the conf.module settings above do not show any detection of
the cards.

Does anyone have any other ideas in tackling this problem?  I thought these
cards
were pretty much no brainers.

------------------------------

From: "Erwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compaq Armada M700 Display
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 08:07:58 +0100

I have a Compaq Armada M700 with Redhat Linux 6.1.
With Xconfigurator I can't get the display settings right and there fore I
can't use the GUI from GNOME. Does anyone therefore know the settings for
the M700 display ?

thankx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michal Szymanski)
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: connecting external LVD disks to a PC?
Date: 22 Nov 2000 07:41:26 GMT

Hi,

I've purchased a dual PC machine equipped with Asus P2B-DS mobo
featuring Ultra2 LVD controller onboard. The mobo comes with 3 SCSI
sockets - 50pin SCSI-2 (forget it), 68-pin Wide SCSI and 68-pin Ultra2
LVD. Both 68-pin connectors are identical. Now for the cables
(internal), it comes with a special LVD (twisted) internal cable with
terminator and a 68-pin flat Wide SCSI cable with an external 68-pin
socket to be mounted in the PC enclosure (where the expansion cards
usually go).

The problem is that this set of accessories does not allow connecting
external LVD disks, only internal. The dealer says he is not aware of a
LVD twisted internal cable that would have an external socket to be
mounted in the PC enclosure for attaching external LVD devices. Sounds a
bit strange to me.

Does such cable exist? The machine will be equipped with 4 or more big
LVD disks, so I won't be able to put all of them inside.

Any hints, pointers would be appreciated

regards, Michal.

--
  Michal Szymanski ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Warsaw University Observatory, Warszawa, POLAND

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Linux-friendly Printer
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 22 Nov 2000 02:51:17 -0500

Jerry Houston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered recently ...
> I'm new to Linux and new to this newsgroup.
>
> After installing SuSE v7.0 on a formerly-Win2000 workstation at home,
> I've found that there doesn't appear to be good support for the printer
> I had been using until now.  It's a DeskJet 712C printer that's
> connected to my wife's computer, another Win2000 machine.  There was a
> reference to some way to make it work partially, but it seemed like a
> lot of work for a partial solution that might not work well.
>
> My printing needs at home are pretty lightweight, and her DeskJet has
> served them well enough.  With that in mind, is there a similar printer
> (maybe another model from HP?) that would serve the purpose, and yet be
> easily installed to work with Linux?

(note, I am in the GCC group and not the Linux group at Red hat, so what
follows is personal opinion and not that of Red Hat).

Another solution than buying a new printer if your wife's computer is networked
to yours, is to have her keep the printer on her machine and use a SMB printer
driver on the Linux machine to send the documents to her machine.  She may need
to install a postscript driver for the printer.

> In case it makes a difference, most of my printing will be documents in
> StarOffice 5.2 and the occasional Web page from Netscape, so graphic
> capability is needed, and color would be welcome, but not an absolute
> requirement.
>
> Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

I just looked at http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html, and their
recommendation for a cheap printer was the Epson 740 or 670.

The printer type that works the easiest with Linux is pure Postscript, but
these tend to be pricier unless you can time it right to get a printer at
firesale prices when a new model has been announced, and all of the outlet
sites, have the older model.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Powerdown problems with new kernel 2.4
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 08:20:45 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in
<8ve388$ils$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>> I am having some automatic powerdown problems again. I upgraded my

>load the module "apm.o" before powering down!

Or enable the "Use real mode APM BIOS call to power off" option. This
solved the problem for me.

--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22950312
Nordbergv. 60 A         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Strange SBlive Prob
Date: 17 Nov 2000 21:33:07 GMT

Hello all,

I have gotten the SoundBlaster Live working on my personal workstation
running Debian with a 2.2.17 kernel a while ago.

But now I'm working on new project with some special hardware.
I'm using an Advantech Biscuit PC motherboard PCM-5864-L
http://www.advantech.com/products/PCM-5864L.asp

It has no integrated sound board, but I am using a SoundBlasterLive

I have tried using the 2.2.17 and 2.4.0 test10 kernels. Kernel compiles
fine soundcard gets detected,  But when I try playing any sound I can
barely hear it, even with my speakers turned all the way up.

I tried using the latest emu10k1 drivers as well.

For the first few hours I thought it was not working but I decided to
turn the volume all the way up and I could hear sound, its scratchy but
I can barely hear it

I even tried using programs like aumix to control /dev/mixer and adjust
the volume levels. Still no dice.

Anyone have any ideas. or need more info?

The card works fine on my desktop machine BTW

Thanks
-v

------------------------------

From: "JT" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Video Graphics card recommendations?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 08:38:05 GMT

Looking at hardware devices. Need to know, what is an excellent AGP Video
Graphics card to use?

Thankyou for your reply.
jt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,alt.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Software RAID
Date: 22 Nov 2000 08:41:01 GMT

First let me say I know NOTHING about software RAID in Linux.

That said, I have a server with Software RAID on a SUN running Solaris,
and I would never inflict Software RAID on another machine as long as I
live.  Hardware RAID can hide a lot of things from the user, and be just
about as 'fast' as an individual disk.  Software RAID is going to slow
your disk writes, well REALLY BAD.

My advice would be spend the bucks for the Hardware, or DONT DO IT.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: error compiling tulip.c, which file with -I?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 09:52:43 +0100

Peter Bismuti wrote:

STOP MULTIPOSTING PETER.

(I've seen this message in multiple NG's, so if you have to post in more
than one group, make a crosspost, but do *not* multipost!)

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Ron Reaugh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Subject: Re: connecting external LVD disks to a PC?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 08:56:18 GMT

SCSA-3835  from www.cablemakers.com

------------------------------

From: Carsten Link <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem: ATI Xpert 2000 (Rage 128) not detected (XFree 4.0 SuSE 7.0)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:06:07 +0100

Adam Short wrote:

> Curious, the exact same set up worked perfectly for me... I'll look into it
> and see what I can find out.

Thanks,

but I think I got the problem. Probably the video adapter is broken. I
took
a new one. Exactly the same model with the same chip and EPROM part
number.
But the new one works, I think because it responds to lspci with

"ATI Technologies Inc Rage 128 RF (prog-if 00 [VGA]) Subsystem: ATI
Technologies Inc: Unknown Device 0008"

instead of

"ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 5247 (prog-if 00 [VGA]) Subsystem:
ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 0008"

I'm not sure about the real cause, but since I got a working adapter now
everything's fine.
I ordered another computer and the dealer wants to check out if there's
a similar problem
with that machine (also Xpert 2000). If that is the case, I tell you.

I appreciate your help,

Carsten.

------------------------------

From: Jacek Trzcinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Soltek SL-KV75+
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:10:56 +0100

Hi !
I would like to ask if anybody had a problem with Soltek motherboard
SL-KV75+ under
Windows or Linux ?
Best regards
Jacek

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: SCA -> 68Pins or 50Pins TKs
Date: 22 Nov 2000 09:14:00 GMT

I had an old SUN with an external 4slot box, 2 disks each with SCA adapters.
I never got the system working reliably.

Later I came across an article that said that these adapters present about
twice the capatiance across the scsi cable of a 'normal' drive, and that
you should never use more than two of them in a system.

Depending on the speed, seems that even one is problimatical.
That would be consistant with your having to reduce the bus speed.
Good Luck.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens

From: Daniel Bush <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:02:40 GMT

Rubbish. See http://www.cablemakers.com - the SCSI adapter section,
SCSA-3835 will work for you. I would suggest you put all of your
drives external intead of mixing some internal & some external.
Needless to say, make sure the case is designed for disk drives, with
plenty of cooling and a solid power supply.

If you have a simple short LVD cable with just two connectors, use
that between the motherboard and the SCSA-3835 adapter - get a good
external 68 pin cable between your CPU & drive enclosure - and you are
set.