Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 19:36:18 -0500
From: Scott Schaefer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: fsck 43.9% non-contiguous ????

Anthony Ewell wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>      How do I get 43.9% non-contiguous inodes?  I thought
> ext2 defragged on the fly?  Is there a way to defrag
> this or should I even care?

Don't know where you got the notion ext2 'defragged on the fly' -- it
does not.  How you get non-contiguous inodes is dependent on your
file system usage -- typically lots of small files created,
extended, deleted.

HOWEVER: "Non-contiguous" is not necessarily a valid measure of
fragmentation, especially if you have a lot of bad blocks.

You can defrag with /sbin/e2defrag, if you have it installed.  If not,
try your distribution source media or get the tarball from
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/filesystems/defrag-0.70.tar.gz.

Read the docs carefully !  DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT run defrag on a
mounted filesystem.  Indeed, I would run defrag only after booting
from a separate root/boot disk, and after competing two backups.
Of course, I'm paranoid about about just about everything :-)

------------------------------

From: Adam Weeks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CD-RW failure - What do I try next?
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 18:13:53 GMT

Teresa Román Grande wrote:

> Just one thing: you are not mounting the cd-rw unit, are you?
> Just in case you donn't know it must NOT be mounted.
> This was my personal mistake for a while...
>
> > Questioner wrote:
> > >
> > > I just bought one of those $99 CenDyne (www.cendyne.com) CD-RW drives
> > > at CompUSA.  deja.com tells me (from my ROM version) it's a remarked
> > > ACER 8432i, but I'm not sure.
> > >
> > > I can read audio and iso9660 CDROMs and writing of CDR and CDRW disks
> > > give NO ERROR MESSAGES with either plain cdrecord or xcdroast audio or
> > > data from hard disk or from companion CDROM drive.  But after writing,
> > > the disk appears to xcdroast to be empty or missing (depending on
> > > the sub-application/form).  Attempts to mount a disks give:
> > >
> > > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrw,
> > >        or too many mounted file systems
> > >
> > > My FIFO stays at least 90% full throughout on my 500 MHz system.
> > > I can read the metadata (ATIP info) off the disk OK.
> > > My secondary IDE channel has a CDROM at primary/hdc (accessing as IDE)
> > > with the CD-RW at slave/hdd (accessing as scd0) and as I said,
> > > communications with both drives seem to be OK both directions.
> > >
> > > I've tried two brands (good and bad) of CDRW media and the one CDR
> > > that came with the system.  I've tried the CDRW at 4x and 2x speeds.
> > >
> > > I can see a change to the disk surface after writing but only about
> > > 1/4 inch seems to be written on a normal write while a blank=all
> > > changes the whole (1.5? inch radially) disk.
> > >
> > > I have no ready access to a different operating system.
> > >
> > > I've tried doing "head -c 20480 /dev/scd0 | cd -c" and get an
> > > "Input/output error" with my written disk (and stuff with recognizable
> > > strings from a prerecorded data CD).
> > >
> > > The 3-page CD-RW manual says to make it the master (and only) drive on
> > > the channel, but I can't believe that's necessary.  Anyone know
> > > different or think of a reason why it might be a problem?
> > >
> > > Have there been any kernel problems or differences?  I don't see much
> > > on that at deja.com.  I'm using a 2.2.16 patched with IDE improvments
> > > which has been working OK for several months.
> > >
> > > Any idea what I should try next?  Must I embarass myself by taking it
> > > to someone with a different OS?
> > >
> > > Thanks for responding to the newsgroup; the return address won't work.
> >
> > --
> > Never do Windows again with  |  Scott M. Nolde
> > Linux!  No streaks, haze or  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > glaze!                       |
> > 1:25pm up 43 min, 2 users, load average: 1.06, 1.12, 0.98

By the way,  Is there support for FireWire CDRWs Yet?

------------------------------

From: Cokey de Percin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Rescan SCSi-Bus
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 19:06:09 GMT

Neil Cherry wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 22:32:28 +0100, Tobias Dresbach wrote:
> >Hi all,
> >i have an extern scsi cd-burner and dat connected to my debian box.
> >my question is how to make a scsibus-rescan so i can switch on the burner an
> >dat after booting the system?
> >under suse linux i did a "modprobe am53c974" but under debian it doesn´t
> >work.
> >thanks in advance
> >tobi
>
> Look for scsi_info or scsiinfo, also freshmeat.net had scsiadd. One of
> those should help.

You can dynamically add(delete) a SCSI device to the bus without
causing a complete rescan with the following commands:

#!/bin/sh
#
#
# Add a SCSI device dynamically
#
# This is for the CDRoms 0 & 1
#
#  a == hostadapter id (first one being 0)
#  b == SCSI channel on hostadapter (first one being 0)
#  c == ID
#  d == LUN (first one being 0)
#
# adds a device (#6, adapter 0, channel 0, LUN 0
#
#echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 3 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi
echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 6 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

#!/bin/sh
#
# Delete a SCSI device dynamically
#
# This is for CDRoms 0 and 1
#
#  a == hostadapter id (first one being 0)
#  b == SCSI channel on hostadapter (first one being 0)
#  c == ID
#  d == LUN (first one being 0)
#

#echo "scsi remove-single-device 0 0 3 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi
echo "scsi remove-single-device 0 0 6 0" > /proc/scsi/scsi

|-------------------------------------------------------------------|

Note that this assumes that the device is attached, but not turned on.
I would not suggest trying to hot attach a device unless it (and the
controller) are designed for it.

Best

Cokey

Cokey de Percin, DBA            Email:
Mynd Corp. (Soon to be CSC)      Work - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Columbia, South Carolina         Home - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Jurij Smakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Serial hub capable of holding an IP address?
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 20:19:58 +0100

In article <8uf7ju$q6o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Trib <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I need to connect several serial devices to a network in a
>cost-effective/professional looking way (i.e. no $2500 Cisco 2500 access
>servers suggestions please).  What I basically need is a "serial hub"
>capable of holding an IP address, so that I can remotely access the serial
>devices using an IP address and port number.

Hi!

Try looking at www.moxa.com (Nport Server/ServerLite products) or
www.digi.com (PortServer family of products). Maybe that's what you
need and it should be cheaper than cisco anyway.

For the record, I'm not affiliated in any way with any of these
companies :-)

Best regards,

J.

------------------------------

From: "Lumaca" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Pcmcia net card UMAX, REALTEK or HAMLET: does wnyone use them?
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 17:39:50 +0100

Do you know if PCMCIA network cards made by UMAX, REALTEK or HAMLET work
under
linux?

(I'm interested in 10baseT/10base2 combo cards)

They are NE2000 compatible, but are all NE2000 compatible cards supposed to
work?

Thanx,
Ludovico Cavedon

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ("T. A. Rogers")
Subject: rtl8019 help
Date: 23 Nov 2000 03:08:10 +0100

Unable to get realtek 8019 to work with linux. I have done te following
steps; used dos rset8019 to set card to jumperless with the settings of base
i/o 300,280 and Irq 3,4,11.  Using linuxconf I have set the kernal module to
ne.o with the above i/o and irq, also I have used rtl8139.o.
All I am getting is eth0 delayed [failed] during startup. I am using RH 6.2
on Intel p166 box

Posted from [24.19.55.59] by way of f280.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.236.158]

Subject: Shopping for "best" X-Platform network printer
From: Sean LeBlanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 20:24:54 GMT

Okay, don't shoot me: I have Windoze at my house! :)

Seriously, though, I have a need to be able to print
from NT 4/5 and Windoze 98 and Linux, and do it via
network, preferably, ie, not some slave printer.

Color is not important. Speed isn't *that* important.

Any hardware recommendations/experiences anyone can
share? I'd rather not shell out heaps of $$$ for it,
either, but money isn't too much of an issue here.

Thanks,
Sean LeBlanc

------------------------------

From: "Antonio Lago Dacosta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Primax 4800 Direct
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 20:20:22 GMT

This is a installation guide for Scanner primax 4800 direct.
First, be sure your kernel suports:
    - Parallel port Support
    - Pc-style hardware
    - /proc filesystem support
You must have installed gimp-1.0.4 or later.
Download sane-1.0.3.tar.gz from http://www.mostang.com/sane
Download xsane-0.64.tar.gz from the same site
Download plustek-module-0_36_35.tar.gz from
http://home.t-online.de/home/g-jaeger/plustek.html

Copy sane in a directory (i.e. /scanner)
unpack it with: tar xzvf sane-1.0.3.tar.gz
Dive into the sub-directory /scanner/sane-1.0.3  ,and type:

CFLAGS="-g -O -Wall" ./configure --disable-shared
make
make install  ( as root)

then copy plustek-module-0_36_35.tar.gz into sane directory
unpack it
in the directory /scanner/sane-1.0.3/backend/plustek-driver type

make
make install

add the following lines to the file etc/conf.modules:

alias char-major-40 pt_drv
post-install pt_drv modprobe -k parport
options pt_drv lampoff=180 warmup=15 port=0x378 lOffonEnd=0 mov=2

Note you can change this parameters, except mov=2. It is needed for primax
4800 direct

in the directory /scanner/sane-1.0.3/backend/plustek-driver type

make load

In this moment the light of the scanner must turn on

The last job is to install xsane, for scanning in graphical mode:
copy xsane to a directory (i.e. /scanner)
unpack it
in the directory /scanner/sane.0.64 type
./configure
make
make install (as root)

Now you can scan launching xscan from its directory (/usr/local/bin)
Configure colors and go on.
More info at the links above

------------------------------

From: "B@zzot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PCI Winmodems DRVs
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 20:29:35 GMT

I'm a newbie, i'm trying to install linux on my system but i've got a hamlet
pci modem 56k. Should I pray to see this device run under linux? I wrote an
e-mail to hamlet's tech support but noone still answers

This is the last wall making windows my only workin' os !

If someone knows something , please write me !

------------------------------

From: "Stephen Gutknecht \(VW\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rtl8019 help
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:32:21 -0800

IS PnP turned off in Bios?

8019 is a NE 2000 card.  What driver are you loading?  The ne2k-pci.o?

you do NOT use the rtl8139 driver!  x1xx is not the same as x0xx.

Also, you do kno that Redhat 7.0 is latest?  Free download if you have
access to fast link.

  Stephen

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

_________
http://explorer.msn.com

------------------------------

From: George MacDonald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Marvel G400 or All-in-Wonder? (PVR on Linux)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 20:33:24 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I want to get a video card that I can also use as a VCR. In my research on the
> internet, I have discovered that the Marvel G400 and the All-in-Wonder are
> both supported under Linux. The All-in-Wonder appears to be better supported,
> but I really like the Marvel's ability to play video on the TV-out while I
> continue to use the monitor for computer work.
>
> What recommendations does anyone have for these two cards and their use under
> Linux?

I use a ATI All-in-wonder card plus a ReplayTV for doing personal
video recording(PVR). I find this combo has a significant number of
advantages over a computer only PVR based solution. The biggest
reason being load on the system during recording eats up your system
resources. i.e. you can't do much else with your computer while
recording.

I recently got a RedRat remote control which I use to control the
ReplayTV while watching it via the composite input. The RedRat
is a learning remote control that connects via the serial port.
I wrote a small "floating remote" GUI which "translates" mouse
clicks to IR! You can also use command line/email/web based
interfaces!!!

For more info, see

        http://www.slip.net/~gmd/index.html

I also modifed GATOS so that it supports a floating remote,
here is a snapshot of all this working together:

        http://www.slip.net/~gmd/atitvRemote/ReplayGuide.jpg

I'm in the process of rewriting the remotes program, moving
to Gtk ... I also want to make the PVR/TV integration a bit
tighter...

--
We stand on the shoulders of those giants who coded before.
Build a good layer, stand strong, and prepare for the next wave.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Setting up a printer under RedHat7 (sigh)
Date: 23 Nov 2000 21:08:22 GMT

On 22 Nov 2000 23:48:33 -0500, Gene Heskett
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> lp:\
>>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>>         :mx#0:\
>>         :sh:\
>>         :lp=/dev/lp1:\
>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Should this not be ":lp=/dev/lp0:\"?
Unless you have more than 1
>parallel port and device attached,
it should probably be /dev/lp0 as the
>numbering system was changed at
about RH5.1 or thereabouts, and the
>first one is now lp0..

Gene, you are quite accurate -- I am
currently running RH 5.2 on here, and
it indeed puts my printer on lp1. I
put a new OS on this machine every
couple days and when I am in need of
a quick Internet connection, I often
slip the 5.2 disk in for an install since
it's the fastest way to go on line.

Anybody with a more up to date Linux
would want to change those parameters.

Don't know if this helps the original
questioner at all, but I wanted to
let you know you are right. OQ will
have to adjust things for his setup.
I copied my file exactly as it currently
exists, directly into my first message.

Mary P.

------------------------------

From: Neil McFadyen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: msi 694D Pro-AR
Date: 23 Nov 2000 21:32:00 GMT

Has anyone been able to install redhat 7.0
on a msi 694D Pro-AR  with 2 cpus

redhat 7 install hangs after detecting disk.  I using a ata66 disk
in the primary ide connector

Neil McFadyen, P.Eng.
System Administrator
Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Carleton University
Ottawa, Ontario
K1S 5B6
tel: 613-520-2600 ext 5636
fax: 613-520-5715

------------------------------

From: John Beardmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Memory reported wrong by Linux
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 02:51:43 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes
>On Thu, 09 Nov 2000 15:23:41 GMT, "ne..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>They have been catching too much flack lately, lets
>>give them a break. Your solutions should work. I'm not
>
>They are already broken, just like Linux.

It's open source.  If you don't like it, why don't you fix it ?

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore

------------------------------

From: "Nicolas Rubin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on MIPS R4400MC CPU?
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:27:18 +0100

Hi Brian,

I have exactly the same request. Do you have now an asnwer ?

My hardware is a SGI indigo

Thanks in advance

Nicolas

1ziS5.12828$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "John D. Peedle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Shopping for "best" X-Platform network printer
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 22:38:23 -0000

Have a look at the Hewlett Packard DeskJet 2500CM for the Rolls-Royce
solution. This is a absolute beast which not only has built in network
support - it also has postscript. It is not cheap though. Failing that I
would suggest the DeskJet 970Cxi which has duplex printing and optional
networking support. My father-in-law has one and is printing about 4000
sheets a month. Any JetDirect or Intel Netport will give you lpr printing -
the printer IP address you set, the queue is called raw or text depending on
whether you want the printer to do anything other than just print it . I
always print to raw.

I prefer HP because the build quality is usually good. I have an ancient
HP1200C which is still as good as new after thousands of pages. You also get
a new printhead with each new cartridge. Having seen people struggling to
clean fixed heads, I would choose this option every time.

Have fun with the new toy - whatever it turns out to be!

--
==============
John D. Peedle

------------------------------

From: "Nicolas Rubin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux on an SGI indigo
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 23:53:08 +0100

Hi,

I have an SGI indigo with Mips R4400 Processor

Which linux can i install on this hardware ?

Do you now where can I find an ISO image for download ?

Thanks in advance

Nicolas

------------------------------

From: "Guennadi V. Liakhovetski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Triton problem with 2.2.X... (was Re: slow connection?)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 22:38:53 +0000

On 23 Nov 2000, Steve Houseman wrote:

> fwiw, "sum" does a checksum on the file which one way to compare
> two binary files .

Thanks, but I didn't really bother checking them (they both were on
disketts). And now I can tell - I was right, BIOS upgrade from Viglen's
image file failed with the same error...

Thanks to all anyway:)
Guennadi
___

Dr. Guennadi V. Liakhovetski