From: "James Stewart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI host
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 22:12:15 -0700

> > I need a cheap 50pin SCSI controller, is there any reason not to buy a
> > Tekram DC 315U? A website is offering them for 20US$ each. The only
> > thing I am planning on using it for is to connect a single scsi hd (the
> > boot drive, only drive if you want to get technical). I think I've read
> > that tekram is at least somewhat pro-linux, which is nice.
> >
> > What does the term Bios-less mean?
It means that you can't boot from it.  You'll have to boot from a floppy, or
drive on a "bootable" controller.

Try some of the NCR 53xxx based units like the DTC PCI SCSI controller I
recently bought from www.hitechcafe.com for about $30.  They have some ISA
DTC SCSI's as well that I think should work too.

------------------------------

From: Keith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: X-WIndows Configuration Problem
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 05:34:14 GMT

On Sat, 25 Nov 2000 20:29:39 -0600, Randall Holobaugh
 <pz_T5.251$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am running Gnome in Red Hat 7.  I have a problem with configuring
>my video card and monitor for X-windows (Gnome).  My video card is Diamond
>Viper
>V770 with 32Mb of RAM (Ultra TNT2 RIVA chip).  The monitor I am using is
>from an
>E-machine; it's an EMC SA-560.  On the back of the monitor it says 50/60Hz.
>I tried to find out the exact vertical and horizonal refresh rates so I
>could
>manually enter them, but I was unable to find them.

You need to get the details of your monitor:

/* find FCC ID

1. get the FCC ID number off the back.
2. goto http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/
3. Enter the FCC ID
4. The specifications for the monitor may be there, if not contact the
manufacturer.
5. Once you have them enter them in Xconfig

/* loop
echo BTW, it is not X-window*s* it is X-window or X.

--
Best Regards,

Keith         (Use Reply-to for email)
Where do you discover free software for Windows? Strongsignals DOT COM is a
great place to start: http://Strongsignals.com  "Where would Christianity be
if Jesus got eight to fifteen years with time off for good behavior?" NY
State Senator James Donovan, speaking in support of capital punishment.

From: Ted Truex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sound and printer question/problems
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 05:45:19 GMT

Thanks in advance for any info/suggestions for the following problems:

I recently upgraded to RH Linux 7.
When running RH Linux 6.2 my SB Live sound card worked fine but I was never
able to print using a Canon BJC 5000.

After the upgrade neither the sound card or the printer work but I see the
following in the kern log (which was not seen under RH6.X):

kernel: Creative EMU10K1 PCI Audio Driver, version 0.6, 16:53:07 Aug 22 2000
kernel: emu10k1: EMU10K1 rev 4 model 0x20 found, IO at 0xa800-0xa81f, IRQ 10
kernel: parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778) [SPP,ECP,ECPEPP,ECPPS2]
kernel: parport0: detected irq 7; use procfs to enable interrupt-driven operation.
kernel: parport_probe: succeeded
kernel: parport0: Printer, Canon BJC-5000

The boot log under RH7 shows (as it did under RH6.X):
Nov 25 19:23:18 localhost rc.sysinit: Loading sound module (emu10k1) succeeded.

Any suggestions???

Again, thanks in advance
--
Ted Truex
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Fred Richards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lilo doesn't install on large disk with W2K...
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 05:54:42 GMT

My /etc/lilo.conf has a "lba32" option in the beginning of it (without
quotes) and says something to the effect of allowing it to work on larger
hard drives.  I have a 15 gig and I don't know whether this was a lilo
limitation or a bios limitation (I do happen to have a newer bios).  I am
almost positive that is the exact wording, but when I boot back into Slack,
I can paste the exact option/remarks if you would like.

------------------------------

From: "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: no drivers found error
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 06:12:11 GMT

i got this error when i tried to install linux.  no drivers found an error
has occured no valid devices were found on which to create new filesystems.
please check your hardware for the cause of this problem..
i have a abit kt7 raid motherboard 20 gig hd.. and im trying to install rh
7.0 any suggestions??? thanks email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] thanks

------------------------------

From: "The infamous \"Brian\"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Wooooo Hooooo! Got it!!!!!!
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 06:39:34 GMT

Hi Bob:

bob_more wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>"The infamous \"Brian\"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Next, got W98 emergency disk and booted that, then ran
>>"C:\fdisk /mbr" and rebooted, this time straight into W2K.

>>Next, boot into Linux with boot floppy and reran liloconfig
>>and selected simple and BANGO - it installed.

>>Now when I boot it shows that cool little boot graphic where
>>you can select DOS or Linux with the cursor keys and <enter>.

>>I bet Bill and his buddies worked months to foul up the MBR
>>so it wouldn't work - Bastards!

>>Now I can run identical services on both installs and see what's
>>what! Those Redmond Bastards!

>Not to discourage you, but fdisk /mbr is an old windows trick, and

Old DOS trick, you mean. Here is the deal; installed W2K Advanced Server and
the install altered the MBR so lilo couldn't locate winnt.exe (or whatever).
lilo wasn't having a problem with installing and running a Linux partition,
it was just a problem with the W2K partition (/dev/hda1 - 5 gig).

>I'll add my own, when in doubt and ya wanna be sure, I use fdisk /mbr
>and then a low leveler called maxllf which kills all partitions on a
>hard disk, if you want a clean disk to install on. extreme but it works.

Thanks for that - will look it up.

>Otherwise partition magic is your friend.

Ya, got an old PM but doesn't work on new FAT32 partitions.

Best regards,

Brian

------------------------------

From: "The infamous \"Brian\"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 06:48:55 GMT

Hey James:

James Stewart wrote in message ...

<clipped for brevity>

>Yea, but only if you have the "right" kind of BIOS.

New mainboard - manufactured this year, 1999 Award BIOS.

>It is explained in the newer LILO's Documentation.

Got it working!!!

It wasn't a Linux or even a lilo problem at all - it was a Windows 2000
Advanced Server problem!

Here is what I did. Installed lilo manually ONLY for Linux in the MBR -
worked perfectly but no boot option for W2K.

Booted W98 emerg disk and ran fdisk /mbr then booted back into Linux and did
a "simple" liloconfig to MBR and BANGO, installed and works great.

By the way, Windows 2000 is overpriced, undersupported and problematic.
Microsoft's inhouse "knowledgebase" search engines are crap. A full Windows
2000 Advanced Server can't even read a Mac filesystem on a ZIP disk (Linux
can no probs).

Best regards,

Brian

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 22:54:46 -0800
From: Anthony Ewell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.ppp
Subject: Re: Is USR 5695 a real modem?

Hi Bill,

    RATS!  I am going to restock the 5695's and replace
then with actiontec modems.
(http://www.actiontec.com/support/modems/pm560lki.html)

    Usr's 5610 would be great, but they are "impacted"
 they are so badly backordered.

    I really appreciate your help!

Many, many thanks,
--Tony
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Subject: Re: SCA -> 68Pins or 50Pins
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 00:46:46 -0500

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:08:17 -0400, The Old Bear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Folling up to the poster from a previous thread (not the above message):
>
>Did you ever get your 10base2 network configured?  The the AE-2/c cards
>work out for you?  Update would be appreciated.
>
>Cheers,
>The Old Bear

        Yes I did as I mentioned earlier I was unable to reply to you.
I still cannot reply to you as you don't seem to exsist at that
address! Do you have an alternate? I was going to post a few
questions that I could not as you don't seem to exist!

--

                        B'ichela

------------------------------

From: "Jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SYM53C1010+Redhat 6.2
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 07:30:51 GMT

Anyone have a method for installing RedHat 6.2 to disks connected with this
controller?(LSI53C1010)  Looks like there is driver support- but only after
you have installed the OS.  You need to patch the kernel and related files.
There appears to be no way to do a new CD install from what I have gathered.

System is based on a Tyan ThunderLE w/serverworks chipset and the LSI53C1010
dual channel U160 controller.  I have two 18GB IBM 10K disks only plus cdrom
and floppy.  I was hoping to install Redhat 6.2.  I made the mistake of
looking at LSI Logic's website and seeing the "Supports Linux" and ordering
the board with onboard SCSI before following through with looking up actual
driver support.

According to their (LSI Logic formerly Symbios)Linux support page I can use
this adapter with 6.2, but only after the OS is installed and properly
patched. It does appear that I can make a driver update disk and new install
image for 7.0 to do a clean install of Redhat 7.0, however the rest of my
boxes are still at 6.2 and I have no plans to migrate to 7.0 at least until
7.2 .  I just built my first test box running 7.0 and have not validated all
of my applications yet nor any other system interoperability. It is still
way to new and other vendors I have software from only support their
software on a 6.2 based system. So I am bound to 6.2 for now.  I am going to
try using the update disk they provide for 7.0 with 6.2 in a desperation
attempt.  But I doubt it will work due to the differences in the kernels 6.2
version is 2.2.14-xx  and the 7.0 being 2.2.16-22 and the other changes in
7.0.

I am trying to avoid having to build another box with a supported controller
to build the OS on and then patch the kernel (53c8xxx driver updated version
supports 53c1010).  I am thinking I should be able to copy the redhat CD to
a partition on network accessible drive patch the kernel and 53c8xxx driver
and then install the OS from there?  Or burn a new CD from that image.  But
I get the feeling I am working to hard at this so that is why I ask if
anyone else has already done this.

I will not use the Tyan board anymore...for windows it looks to be OK, and
the price point certainly is more attractive than say the supermicro 370DLR
which has only single channel onboard SCSI but it is  an Adaptec 7892 which
is 6.2 supported

thanks

------------------------------

From: scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AMD 760 chipset and Linux
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 08:07:31 GMT

Eric Frey wrote:

> I am thinking of buying a Micron Millenium XP that uses the new AMD 760
> chipset and DDR-SDRAM. I am wondering if there are any gotchas with this
> system or chipset and Linux. I know about the problem with RH 6.2 and
> Athlon's and that doesn't worry me. Will UDMA-100 work with this? Will
> there be other problems? The video card is an NVidia NV15 GEFORCE 256 AGP
> with 64 MB DDR. Will this work with XFree?
>
> Thanks for any pointers.

> Eric C. Frey
> The University of North Carolina
The N15 you mentioned is the Geforce 2 or Geforce 2 Ultra.  Very good
cards, I know I have the Geforce 2.  It is currently supported under
xfree86 ver 4.0.1 and has superb 3d support with Nvidia's reference
drivers.  The 760 chipset I don't know about.  I have heard that the ata
100 specs should be supported in the 2.4 kernel, but I have not
confirmed this and if anything it will be supported soon enough.  Have
no fear though, if the ata 100 is the only problem it should still work
as an ide controller, but not at the ata 100 speed.  Maybe somebody else
can clear that one up.  If you look in this newsgroup, I swear that
somebody else mentioned support for the ata 100 controller.

------------------------------

From: scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 08:08:24 GMT

From: "Eric en Jolanda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: fsck 43.9% non-contiguous ????
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 09:03:03 +0100

> I'd really like to see a more in-depth explanation of your theory since it
flys
> in the face of conventional wisdom:
>
> For any user, having accessed the first sector of a file, the least amount
of
> time will be spent if subsequent sectors in the file reside on the same
track
> or those immediately adjacent.  Any lengthy excursions of the head in
gathering
> all of the sectors in the file takes time, and therefore wastes time.

On a multiuser system the head will have to switch locations anyway.
On user reads, the users are waiting to be served. So best performance is
gained when all the data the users want is contiguous, meaning block 1 from
user 1 is followed by block 1 of user 2 etc. Obviously this will mean a
severly scattered FS. And when time passes files are deleted and recreated
at will, but randomly located files will overall still garantuee a minimum
distance the head must move to serve another user.
You can probably prove this even mathematically, and I imagine this is done
already, search for research papers on this topic if you like more detailed
info.

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc D. Williams)
Subject: Re: Problems setting up TV-Card
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 08:38:58 -0000

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000 17:25:07 +0100, Jan Oliver Koch wrote:
>Hi Tim,
>
>I went through the whole bttv mini-howto but
>it doesn't work yet. I start to think that it might be a plug and play
>problem. There are several PCI devices on int 5 (which is also the one
>used by my TV-card).

If it is in fact an IRQ problem then you need to play musical slots.
Try putting the card in another slot and see if it gets assigned
a different IRQ.

--
>>ANIME SENSHI<<

Marc D. Williams
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.oldskool.org/~tvdog/ -- DOS Internet & Tandy 1000
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Platform/8269/ -- Win3.x Makeover

------------------------------

From: scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 08:50:46 GMT

From: Jochen Rodewald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: laptop with "level one FPC-0103TX" ethernet pcmcia pc-card
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 10:02:48 +0100

Hi out there,
I encounter problems configuring an ethernet pc-card on my laptop from
Gericom (recently bought at LIDL, a german supermarket). The type
seems to be simular to the Commander-series from Gericom.

On the notebook I installed Debian 2.2 with kernel 2.2.17pre6 and
pcmcia-cs version 3.1.22. The card is a LevelOne FPC-0103TX with
10/100 Mps. It's not in the list of supported pc-cards though there
are two other cards from the same vendor in that list. lspci reports
an unknown ABOCOM-ethernet-adapter. After patching the
/etc/pcmcia/config with a corresponding entry I got cardmanager to
recognize the card and starting up the tulip_cb driver. I get two high
beeps inserting the card, no error messages in the logfiles (see
attached syslog and ifconfig copies at the end of my helpscream).
Pinging the corresponding IP-address from within the notebook is
answered by the card. But there is no way to reach another computer on
the net although I see the LEDs flickering with every ping sent into
the net. Also pings from the net to the laptop are not answered but
there must be a (mystic) connection sometimes because scanning the
daemon.log I found erratic entrys for a connect with another machine
in the net.
So - is there anything wrong with the card/driver settings? And if -
how to correct this. The card itself is OK (at least its working fine
with w2k) and the network configuration is simular to another
linux-box on the net that's working without any probs.

Below You find the extracted entries from syslog and the output from
ifconfig - hope that helps.

Many thanks in advance (and have mercy if I made a stupid mistake -
please help nevertheless..:-))

Jochen

SYSLOG:
Nov 26 08:41:16 shuttle kernel: tulip_detach(eth0)
Nov 26 08:41:16 shuttle kernel: cs: cb_disable(bus 35)
Nov 26 08:41:16 shuttle kernel: cs: cb_release(bus 35)
Nov 26 08:41:16 shuttle kernel: cs: cb_free(bus 35)
Nov 26 08:41:17 shuttle cardmgr[152]: shutting down socket 1
Nov 26 08:41:17 shuttle cardmgr[152]: executing: './network stop eth0'
Nov 26 08:41:17 shuttle cardmgr[152]: executing: 'modprobe -r
tulip_cb'
Nov 26 08:41:17 shuttle cardmgr[152]: executing: 'modprobe -r
cb_enabler'
Nov 26 08:41:22 shuttle kernel: cs: cb_alloc(bus 35): vendor 0x13d1,
device 0xab02
Nov 26 08:41:22 shuttle cardmgr[152]: initializing socket 1
Nov 26 08:41:22 shuttle cardmgr[152]: socket 1: Level One FPC-0103TX
Nov 26 08:41:23 shuttle cardmgr[152]: executing: 'modprobe cb_enabler'
Nov 26 08:41:23 shuttle cardmgr[152]: executing: 'modprobe tulip_cb'
Nov 26 08:41:23 shuttle kernel: cs: cb_config(bus 35)
Nov 26 08:41:23 shuttle kernel:   fn 0 bar 1: io 0x800-0x8ff
Nov 26 08:41:23 shuttle kernel:   fn 0 bar 2: mem
0x60060000-0x600603ff
Nov 26 08:41:23 shuttle kernel:   fn 0 rom: mem 0x60040000-0x6005ffff
Nov 26 08:41:23 shuttle kernel:   irq 10
Nov 26 08:41:23 shuttle kernel: cs: cb_enable(bus 35)
Nov 26 08:41:23 shuttle kernel:   bridge io map 0 (flags 0x21):
0x800-0x8ff
Nov 26 08:41:23 shuttle kernel:   bridge mem map 0 (flags 0x1):
0x60040000-0x60060fff
Nov 26 08:41:23 shuttle kernel: tulip_attach(device 23:00.0)
Nov 26 08:41:23 shuttle kernel: tulip.c:v0.91g-ppc 7/16/99
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (modified by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
for XIRCOM CBE, fixed by Doug Ledford)
Nov 26 08:41:23 shuttle kernel: eth0: Digital DS21143 Tulip rev 17 at
0x800, EEPROM not present, 00:4C:69:6E:75:79, IRQ 10.
Nov 26 08:41:23 shuttle kernel: eth0:  MII transceiver #1 config 3000
status 7849 advertising 01e1.
Nov 26 08:41:23 shuttle cardmgr[152]: executing: './network start
eth0'

IFCONFIG:
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:4C:69:6E:75:79
          inet addr:192.168.1.99  Bcast:192.168.1.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x800

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback