From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michal Szymanski)
Subject: connecting two PCs via USB?
Date: 26 Nov 2000 18:28:14 GMT

Hi,

Is it possible to connect two Linux boxes via USB? I don't really need
full networking, just the ability to send/receive files.

any hints?

regards, Michal

--
  Michal Szymanski ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Warsaw University Observatory, Warszawa, POLAND

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michal Szymanski)
Subject: TV-OUTput from video card under Linux?
Date: 26 Nov 2000 18:33:48 GMT

Hi,

I have Linux RH6.2 on a PC equipped with Riva Ultra TNT2 Vanta card.
The card has TV-OUT sockets (one for SVHS and one for ordinary video
signal). Under Windoze98 the card driver allows to switch the output
device between monitor and TV, but not both at the same time.

Under Linux, it works strange. Without any special action, the TV screen
shows something which is surely the copy of monitor screen (I can
recognize the colors of my xterm windows etc), but screwed up as if it
had no sync.

I wonder if it would be possible to have the card output to TV properly.

regards, Michal.

From: "Stu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: RH6.2 and Athlon, Asus A7V
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 18:59:26 -0000

I have recently upgraded my computer to:

Athlon 850 Socket A
Asus A7V Motherboard
256Mb

I have reinstalled RedHat 6.2 but when I boot the new installation I get a
general protection fault whilst it is trying to 'disable CPUID serial
number'. The redhat rescue disk, and installation disk, boot fine so I guess
it is a problem with the configuration of the kernel that RedHat has
installed.

Anyone have any ideas how I can get my kernel to load successfully ?

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to invalidate a modem under Linux ?
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 21:23:39 +0100

richard Leou wrote:
> I investigate now on fimrware : i suspect the fact that my Lan card
> is an ISA card so my PCI-modem, which uses IRQ-share protocol,
> doesn't recognize ISA component.
> Linux lspci command says that the WinModem uses IRQ-10
> and MS-Windows98-system-Info utility says that EtherlinkIII uses
> IRQ-10 too !

> > >I installed Suse7.0 on my PC which has
> > >a 3COM Etherlink III (3C509) Lan Card
> > >and a PCI modem V90 (a winmodem !)

3c509 is really an ISA card and unable to share IRQ with a PCI card. You
should do the following:

enter your cmos-setup at boot.
Somewhere in there there is a setting called something like PCI/PNP
settings. In there you should be able to tell your BIOS to reserve IRQ10
for ISA only. The next time you reboot your PCI card will get another
IRQ.

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Vlastimil Pohnetal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.arch.embedded
Subject: Re: Looking for good Embedded Linux board
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 14:50:02 +0100

See mitePC-S or -F board (system) at
http://www.mite.cz/mitepc
http://www.mite.cz/emserver
or
http://www.mite.cz/miterouter

And EMJ Linux package at ftp server.

Best Regards

V. Pohnetal

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.mite.cz
=====================

------------------------------

From: Julie Dunlop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Icp-Vortex 6518RS Scsi Controller, SuSE 7.0
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 19:21:23 GMT

Hello.

I have a mess on my hands and I can't figure it out :(

I have an Asus P2B-F mb with PIII 800 mhz, 256Meg ram, IDE CDrom,
ICP-Vortex controller with a Raid 5 drive configured.

The system will *not* boot from the cdrom at all.

If I boot from the floppy, it finds the IDE cdrom just fine, I tell it
to load the module for the ICP-Vortex controller and it finds that
also.  I then tell it to install the OS. It load the inital ram disk and
then stops end of story!!!

If I do the above proceedure without loading the ICP-Vocrtex controller
module, Yast runs but the install fails when it cannot find any hard
disks.

What is the controller doing to the system?

Thanks

lach

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (shadowlord)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Best OS for 486/33 SX w/ 32meg ram?
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 18:24:07 GMT

I would like to use an old 486/33 SX based computer with 32meg ram as
a web terminal in my home. I tried the QNX demo, but it doesn't work
with either of my two network cards. (Crystal 8920 and some generic
card ..)

What flavor of linux would be recommended for this type of machine?
Simple to setup and maintain would be BIG plusses!

Thanks,

Mark

From: Cokey de Percin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Serverworks ... Linux...
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 19:28:42 GMT

"D. Stimits" wrote:

> Cokey de Percin wrote:
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > Everything I've heard is very favorable.  Considerably moreso than for
> > > the i840, which is known not to function correctly in Linux (probably
> > > due to a new APIC which Linux doesn't yet fully support).
> > >
> > > If I can ever find a SW board with dual slot 1s instead of S370s, I'm
> > > buying it.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > >
> > > In one gloss of the cut interstellarly I must immovable protect the
> > > universe.
> >
> > Ok, then what you want is a Tyan Thunder 2500 (S1867).  Check the Tyan
> > site, but this has a SW HE (yea, the big one) chip set with 8 DIMM,
> > onboard LAN, 100 & 133 FSB & dual Symbios (1010) U2W 160 channels.  You
> > probably can't find one retail, but they've been on eBay several times for
> > $250-450, picked up 4 for $280 each.  Really nice board; the only down
> > side is that is uses REGISTERED ECC memory in pairs ($$) due to 4 way
> > memory interleave and this is a BIG board.  Oh yea and 6 x 64 bit PCI slots
> > (4x33, 2x66) and 1 ISA.  I haven't installed it yet; still waiting for
> > memory & CPUs.  And one last thing - it mentions Linux in the manual as one
> > of the certified OSs :-))
>
> Is the HE the one that does not support any AGP at all? Nice for

The 2500 has 2x Pro AGP slot.

> servers. I did ask Serverworks about their WS chipset, and they said
> manufacturers should start seeing supplies around December (which means
> it might still be several months to see WS chipsets out). The WS

Actually there are a number of SW WS boards available at this time.  In
fact, most of the SW boards are WS and not HE; the 2500 is one of the few
HEs.  I suggest you check AOpen (DX3R Plus), ASUS (CUR-DLS), SuperMicro
(370DLE, 370DL3 & 370DE6) as well as Tyan (1867, 2567 & ?).  I'm sure I
missed some, as I stopped looking when I got my 2500.  When I get all the
pieces in and get it up, I'll post.

> interests me because it supports the 64 bit pci, and also 4x AGP. Trying
> to talk to someone at Intel about the i840 problems is a waste of time
> unless you are a registered distributor, so Intel is basically leaving
> the serious SMP linux server market (I doubt they are even aware of the
> problem, which seems to hurt not just linux SMP but others as well). The
> unfortunate thing for the WS chipset is that nobody has one yet to test
> with Linux...Serverworks is more receptive to questions than Intel, but
> there doesn't seem to be any possibility of testing motherboards that
> don't yet exist. The second Serverworks says their WS works with Linux,
> my i840 goes in the trash.

Well, as I said, the Tyan 2500's manual specifically states that it works
with Linux - and one of the 'certified OS releases' is RedHat 6.0/6.1,
meaning it should work with any Linux distro.  I've seen a number of posts
in various groups about running on SW based boards.  Search Deja and see
what you come up with.

Best

Cokey

Cokey de Percin, DBA            Email:
Mynd Corp. (Soon to be CSC)      Work - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Columbia, South Carolina         Home - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Dark Knight Radick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Best OS for 486/33 SX w/ 32meg ram?
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 14:06:27 -0600

shadowlord wrote:

> I would like to use an old 486/33 SX based computer with 32meg ram as
> a web terminal in my home. I tried the QNX demo, but it doesn't work
> with either of my two network cards. (Crystal 8920 and some generic
> card ..)
>
> What flavor of linux would be recommended for this type of machine?
> Simple to setup and maintain would be BIG plusses!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'm using RH6.2 and it comes with the Apache Websever, simple to set up,
easy to maintain.

When you say web terminal in your home, do you mean like a LAN server to
an ISP? Or do you mean like a web page server?  It's been recommended
that I (with a 90MHz Pentium oc to 133MHz and 32MB RAM) do not try to
set up my own computer as web server 'cause it will KILL my computer,
literally, and I don't want that, at least not yet. ;)

Hope this helps,

Dark Knight Radick

------------------------------

From: "DataLore Realm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Microsoft Digital Surround System - In Linux?
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 20:18:38 GMT

 Greets All,

 Just a quick question here.  I recently installed Linux Mandrake 7.2, and
am
 kind of learning as I go along.  One thing though, I cannot seem to get my
 sound system working at all.  I am using the Microsoft Digital Surround
 System 80, on USB (I know, it MS, but it's a decent sound system, heh).  I
 thought it may be because I was running it USB, but it's going through my
 Soundblaster AWE 64 card, so didn't think that would be the problem.  Also
 looked for help on the net, for drivers and help, but no luck there.  If
 anyone knows what I can do to get my sound sytem working, short of buying a
 new one, please feel free to shoot me an E-Mail.  =^_^=

 The Shadowman

From: Rodrigo Chandia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Geforce2 + X
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 21:37:38 GMT

Max Lungarella wrote:

> > Nvidia has directions posted in the same directory on their FTP site =
as
> > where the drivers are.  If you follow them precisely, you will soon b=
> > up and functioning.
>=20
> yeah, although they don't work with all linux distributions equally
> well. i got a lot of problems with suse6.4, suse7.0 and mandrake7.1, bu=
> no problems at all with rh7.0, which worked fine on all machines i had
> to configure the geforce2.
>=20

You might try to recompile the KERNEL parts of the driver (not the kernel=
,=20
just a module). That did the trick for me on Mandrake 7.1 and 7.2.

--=20
Rodrigo Chandia

From: Jan Oliver Koch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems setting up TV-Card
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 22:43:23 +0100

It was in fact an IRQ problem. I assigned IRQ 5 to an ISA card in the
CMOS setup.
Now the video device is correctly recognized. :o)

Thanks to all who tried to help !!

Oliver

------------------------------

From: "onnyxs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 21:40:19 GMT

--
TUNE IN TO MY BROADCAST AT
http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?autostart=onnyxs
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Arctic Storm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Joystick driver help ?
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 22:05:11 GMT

Joystick driver help ?
I'm not a neophyte to Linux, but fairly new.
I have Intel D815EEA motherboard that has integrated sound, and a game
port.
I'm using RedHat Linux 7.0.
I bought a RadioShack 8 Fire Button Digital Gamepad, which resembles the
PSX gamepad without the Start/Select buttons, and plugged it into the
gameport.
I'm having trouble installing the Linux Joystick driver,
joystick-1.2.15.
I'm stuck on the first step.  Here's a line from the README file.
".... edit the Makefile to meet your needs (namely whether are you using
versioned modules)."
Edit what?!...  Meet my needs?!...  Then the instruction says,
"You will also need an unpacked and configured make config kernel in
/usr/src/linux"
What the hell,...  I can't follow the instructions.
I went to the RPM repository and found joystick-1.2.15-5-i386.rpm.
I installed the rpm in root account; no errors.
I issued the command jstest /dev/js0, and I got the following error.
jstest: No such device
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

----

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: devfs and a cdrom module
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 22:57:07 -0500

Hi,

I use devfs and hve my cdrom driver compiled as a module.

If I insert the module (ide-cd.o and cdrom.o) manually (with modprobe)
all the device entries (/dev/ide1/cd, /dev/cdroms/cdrom0, /dev/hdd etc...)
are inserted properly and I can mount my cdrom in a normal way.

But I think it should be possible that the modules are loaded automatically
when I do the mount command; it did work before devfs...

I did look in the FAQ and the READMEs but couldn`t find a solution.

Could someone tell me the correct entries in /etc/devfsd.conf, /etc/modules.conf
and /etc/modules.conf?

Thx
    Peter

--
PS: please reply per email too where possible!!

  --                        --                           --
The Information Revolution will be fought on the command line.

------------------------------

From: "Ryo Kato" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Aureal - Driver
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 23:38:06 +0100

Hi,

I try to install Aureal-driver version 1.1.1. and that's result:

bash-2.04# make install20
make install AUCHIP=AU8820
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/scsi/tmp/aureal'
cc -D__KERNEL__ -D__SMP__ -DMODULE -DAU8820 -mpentium  -O6 -fomit-frame-po
inter
-Wall -pipe -I/usr/src/linux/include   -c -o au_audio.o au_audio.c
In file included from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/smp.h:11,
                 from /usr/src/linux/include/linux/sched.h:20,
                 from au_vortex.h:63,
                 from au_audio.c:49:
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/smp.h: In function `hard_smp_processor_id':
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/smp.h:209: warning: implicit declaration of
function `GET_APIC_ID'
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/smp.h:209: `APIC_BASE' undeclared (first use in
this function)
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/smp.h:209: (Each undeclared identifier is
reported only once
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/smp.h:209: for each function it appears in.)
/usr/src/linux/include/asm/smp.h:209: `APIC_ID' undeclared (first use in
this function)
make[1]: *** [au_audio.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/scsi/tmp/aureal'
make: *** [install20] Error 2
bash-2.04#

What's wrong?

Bye,
--- Ryo

------------------------------

From: Vlastimil Pohnetal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Milnimal hardware
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 22:19:55 +0100

Visit http://www.mite.cz to see minimal PC system:
http://www.mite.cz/emeserver
http://www.mite.cz/mitepc
http://www.mite.cz/miterouter
http://www.mite.cz/software
http://www.mite.cz/dimmpc

From: Vlastimil Pohnetal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 22:21:22 +0100

From: Vlastimil Pohnetal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.arch.embedded
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 22:17:20 +0100