From: Geoff Short <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on an SGI indigo
Date: 27 Nov 2000 18:22:24 GMT

Nicolas Rubin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hi,

: I have an SGI indigo with Mips R4400 Processor

: Which linux can i install on this hardware ?

: Do you now where can I find an ISO image for download ?

Your first port of call should be http://www.linux.sgi.com/

Last I heard the X-server wasn't working for Indigos, so don't
get your hopes up too high.

        Geoff
Ever sit and watch ants? They're always busy with                Geoff Short
something, never stop for a moment.  I just          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
can't identify with that kind of work ethic. http://kipper.york.ac.uk/~geoff

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Lam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Brother HL-1240
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:24:28 -0500

Does Linux have any support for the Brother HL-1240 Laser Printer? I checked
linuxprinting.org and heard people had limited success. If printing does
work under Linux, what is the best way to configure it?

------------------------------

From: "flappo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat 7 & Modems Problems
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 18:28:06 -0000

Hi there, I'm new to Linux and have just installed redhat 7.

I'm having problems installing the modem.

I've installed linux on a fAT32 partition.  The modem was already in the
computer and it seems to be seen, only thing that it does not work.

Can anyone help me to sort this out or where and what I should be looking
for.

As I said before, I'm very new to it.

Thanks

Mike.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux,alt.linux,alt.comp.linux
Subject: Re: Help - compiling driver for network card
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 19:12:25 +0100

In comp.os.linux.hardware Michael J. Barber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is the output of the make command.
> make
> In file included from pcnet_cs.c:34:
> /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:1:2: #error Modules should never use
> kernel-headers system headers,
> /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:2:2 #error but headers from an
> appropriate kernel-source

Yes, use the kernel source instead of what RH provided you with.  I
would guess from the above that they have a /usr/include/linux
directory.  Delete it.  It should be a softlink to
/usr/linux/include/linux.  Ditto /usr/include/asm.

> In file included from
> /usr/src/linux/pcmcia-cs-3.1.19/include/pcmcia/k_compat.h:87, from
    right place
> pcnet_cs.c:50:
> /usr/include/linux/modeversions.h:1:2: #error Modules should never use
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
     wrong place

Peter

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 11:48:46 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: memory hole

Adam Short wrote:

> Just a note to say that I've found something out that disturbed me slightly.
> I have a BIOS that allows me to create a memory hole at 15M. I am told this
> has something to do with graphics cards. The problem I found was that, when
> this was enabled Linux could only see 15M of memory, presumably not being
> able to see past the hole. I assume that, since the option is there, there
> must be some fairly serious use for it. If you are trying to install or run
> Linux with this option enabled (in order to fix glitches in Windows or for
> any other reason) it is likely that Linux won't work properly. Even setting
> the memory size in LILO won't help you.
>
> Thought it might help someone.
>
> Adam

It's a rather antiquated option. Probably nobody (or very few) should
ever have it set. What you are describing is that it worked the way it
is supposed to work...the motherboard manufacturer should never ship a
board with this option set as a default.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 27 Nov 2000 13:58:15 -0500

"Adam Short" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Just a note to say that I've found something out that disturbed me
> slightly.  I have a BIOS that allows me to create a memory hole at
> 15M. I am told this has something to do with graphics cards.

I'd never heard that.  I'm pretty sure it exists as a compatability
function back when computers rarely had more than 16MB RAM.  Lots of
early DOS extenders (like those used in Origin games) wouldn't run on
computers with more than 16MB RAM.  I think this solution was to trick
those programs into seeing and using only the first 16MB.

But I've also heard that it was for OS/2, despite the fact that I
never got OS/2 to work properly when any "Enable for OS/2" options
were set.  (And it worked fine when they _weren't_ set.)

[Linux now doesn't see the memory]

> Thought it might help someone.

This is a pretty FAQ, so it's covered in lots of places.

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

In one gloss of the cut interstellarly I must immovable protect the
universe.

------------------------------

Subject: Wireless networking
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 27 Nov 2000 14:12:39 -0500

I've got an old laptop that I'd like to use for Linux.  However, it
only has an 800MB hard drive and 16MB RAM, which makes things sort of
tight for GNOME development.  So I was thinking that using it as a
thin client based on another server - one that's cheaper to upgrade -
would be a good option.

The problem is that the times when the laptop would be most useful are
when there's no network jack nearby.  So I was thinking wireless.  But
all the wireless solutions I've seen have a range of about 150 feet.
In order to justify the $250 or so I'd have to pay for all this, I'd
need more than that - and I almost certainly wouldn't have
line-of-sight between the server and the client.

So I have two questions.  First, what kind of support does Linux have
at this time for wireless networking?  Most of the solutions I've seen
use a USB "base" and PCMCIA receivers, although there are PCI/PCMCIA
setups as well.  (The USB options are cheaper.)  Second, are there any
alternatives that give a greater range, possibly at the cost of lower
throughput?

Actually, a third question.  Are there any good outlines (available on
the Internet) of what I would need to know about the technology to
implement it?  (Interference concerns, reliability, security,
interchangeability of components, and so on.)

Thanks!

From: "Norman Bogard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bellsouth DSL Modem and Linux
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:33:55 -0500

Instead of the crap that Bellsouth gives you (but doesn't support) for Linux
go to http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/ and get their easy to use pppoe
package (firewall included!).

Good luck,
Norm

news:gEmU5.1573$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: aflinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Best OS for 486/33 SX w/ 32meg ram?
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:19:56 -0600

shadowlord wrote:

> I would like to use an old 486/33 SX based computer with 32meg ram as
> a web terminal in my home. I tried the QNX demo, but it doesn't work
> with either of my two network cards. (Crystal 8920 and some generic
> card ..)

I have a 483/33 DX with 20Meg of ram running suse 6.4. Works great,
but I do not have X running on it (only a crappy video card and no
monitor) It mainly just sits on the network and gets telnetted to to
play a few games.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux on MIPS R4400MC CPU?
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:49:54 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: And besides, we should be _encouraging_ Microsoft to do cross-platform
: development.  Just think about how successful Linux would become if it
: ever got an Office port.

I for one, would rather just not have MS software, anywhere.  I think we
should be _encouraging_ Microsoft to just go away.

--
   Jeff Gentry  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"You're one of those condescending UNIX users! ...."

Subject: Re: Bellsouth DSL Modem and Linux [OT]
From: Joe Schaefer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Nov 2000 15:04:33 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss) writes:

> On Sun, 26 Nov 2000 23:57:18 -0600, Rob Willmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> >Apparently, the Alcatel externals are compatible with the BS service.
> >Bellsouth in my area (Mobile, AL) uses PPP over ATM, but according to
> >their tech support, you can use PPPoE as well.
> >

> Yes, that's true. FYI, the $150 is for the 'Pro' install. In addition to
> the Aclatel STH modem (retail about $220), they were giving out 3Com905B
> NICs (retail $60???), and includes a splitter (instead of microfilters,
> splitter cost about $45). The splittered installation is considered the
> optimum installation type. Especially, when combined with a CAT5
> homerun. When I got on, this was the only installation (not the CAT5).
> And knowing what I know now, I think, all things considered, the $150 is
> probably a good value. The only thing I would do is run the CAT5
> from NID to wherever the DSL wall jack will be, so the tech can use that
> instead of existing telco wiring.

I've gone through the bellsouth DSL installation with both the Alcatel
and the 3com PCI ATM card. The Alcatel was installed by a technicial for
$150/ and he spend 3-4 hours here (installed the ethernet NIC card, carried
out line tests, new NID, wiring, installed ethernet NIC card, tested the
Alcatel, ...).  Basically a very complete and thorough job. Of course, this
was done on a windows box, and I made the trivial adjustments to run it
on linux myself.

I just did a self-install on a windows 95 box with the 3com PCI ATM card,
and it took me 6 hours. I wasn't too shocked at the time, since I budgeted
8 hours in advance.

After unpacking the box and reading the instructions, I had hoped to be
up and running in about 30min.  However after installing the 3com software,
and then the 3com card as per the instructions, the w95 box failed to
reboot - ever.  Thus begins the fun part of figuring out what old hardware/
software was confused by this relatively new 3com PCI ATM card.

Basically, it came down to the ensoniq sound card that Gateway
preinstalled. Disabling it in the hardware profile (in safe mode,
of course, since the box fails to boot) and restarting windows seemed
to do the trick. To get the sound working again, I had to reenable it
after bootup and disable it again before shutting down.

If this sounds like a lot of fun to you (personally I did enjoy it,
since I knew what to expect ;), then have at it. If not, you could
let the bellsouth tech deal with it and pay $150 for a front row seat.

Best.
--
Joe Schaefer

------------------------------

From: Rafal Wysocki <[EMAIL PROTECTED] >
Subject: Multiport Ethernet cards
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 21:10:37 +0100

        Hi All,

I am searching for multiport ethernet cards that collaborate with Linux.
Can You help me, please?

        Greets

                Rafael

------------------------------

From: dEsull guadUhlUpA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: PAS-16  KDE mixer problems
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 12:11:19 -0800

bowman wrote:

> Hi, can someone tell me how to get the KDE mixer to work with my PAS-16.
> Here is the problem: Right now, the PAS-16 driver seems to work fine in
> the sense that I can hear sound out of my speakers, but... the sound is
> at an extremely low volume level. When I try to adjust the volume using
> KDE's mixer, it does not change. Also, when I adjust other settings in
> the mixer such as treble and bass, there is no change. I think I
> remember reading somewhere that in order for the PAS-16 to work
> properly, some lines of code had to be added to the driver.  Does
> someone know what those lines are, and which file to add them too?
>
> Thanks,
> Ian

Oh yeah, I forgot to include some critical information:
I'm using Red Hat Linux, version 7.0

------------------------------

From: Michael V. Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems setting up TV-Card
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 20:29:36 +0000

And Jan Oliver Koch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:

>it doesn't work yet. I start to think that it might be a plug and play
>problem. There are several PCI devices on int 5 (which is also the one
>used by my TV-card).

        Have you disabled PnP support in BIOS?  I had to do that to get Linux
to find my TV card.  Once I had manually assigned a [free] IRQ to the PCI
slot in BIOS, Linux had no trouble at all in finding it.  I still have to
upgrade my bttv driver to get sound and more than one channel out of it
though.  Linux flat-out *refuses* to load the tuner module. <grins>

--               Michael V. Ferranti [blades&inreach*com]
Warning: The Surgeon General has deemed that excessive displays of warning
labels and public service announcements produce stress and shortens lives.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Erling R Elvsrud)
Subject: Re: Western Digital WD450AA 45GB and linux
Date: 27 Nov 2000 21:16:03 GMT

In article <8vd8fk$2ik$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erling R Elvsrud wrote:
>I have just ordererd a WD450AA hd, and somewhere I red that it has
>some problems when used with linux, something with dma transfers and
>errror correction anyone have tried this drive?
>should I exhange it for a IBM or something?
>It is important that it is a silent drive.
>As I mainly use linux I cannot have a drive that don't work properly
>with dma, on wd's web site It was mentioned in a faq but they blamed
>linux for all the problems..
>
>It it possible to use this drive properly with linux?

I have tried it and it seems to work well, also with dma.
No problems at all so far.

Erling

------------------------------

From: Leo Cambilargiu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Technical Hardware Question for Windows & Linux
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 22:42:42 -0200

Hello all:

As I understand, the stability seen by David is a neat little difference
the linux kernel has from Win32.  Very simply Win32 stores the current
hardware configuration in a registry.  When you change a major piece of
hardware like the MB, even if you run the install new hardware utility,
there are still conflicting information within the registry.  This may be
for several reasons.  MS is worried about piracy (hence that CD-key
sequence you need have during the install) and/or a serious amount of
complexity within the registry.

The linux kernel autoprobes hardware at bootup thus not needing hardware
configurations to reside on your disk (in a registry).  All system
information is found at bootup time.