Linux-Hardware Digest #963, Volume #13           Thu, 30 Nov 00 14:13:11 EST

Contents:
  Re: PCI configuration questions (Eric)
  ATI RADEON X ("HR")
  Re: Xircom  RealPort CardBus RBEM56G ??? (K.C. Hari kumar)
  Re: DiskOnChip ("Gregory Lepere")
  Re: root password changed, need help (Eric)
  Re: Unknown hardware problem. Can anyone help? (Sinner from the Prairy)
  PCI modem under Mandrake 7.1 ("Silvio Fornera")
  Re: abit kt7 raid & linux (Kenneth Rørvik)
  good & cheap b&w printer ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: APMS is killing my computer ("James C. Morris")
  Drivers for Diamond Fire GL1000 Pro ("nnomden")
  Re: good & cheap b&w printer (Rod Smith)
  Re: Linux Mandrake 7.2 Video ("fauzbear")
  Re: 3com modem
  Re: abit kt7 raid & linux
  Re: PCI modem under Mandrake 7.1 (Natalie)
  Re: PCI modem under Mandrake 7.1 ("Leyland Chui")
  Re: PCI modem under Mandrake 7.1 (Leonard)
  Help: /dev/psm0 doesn't exist. How do I create this entry in /dev? (Dennis
McLaughlin)
  SmartMedia and PCMCIA (Bernhard Reiss)
  Re: Problem with SB Live!Player 1024 (Maarten D. de Jong)

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCI configuration questions
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 13:16:11 +0100

Joshua Shaul wrote:

> Hello All,
>
>     I'm hoping one of you folks out there can help me. I'm attempting to
> make changes to the PCI configuration of a device, specifically I want to
> change the base address 1 of a card that comes up with an incorrect
> configuration (because of a HW bug). I have found the means to change this
> base address using a utility called setpci. My question then is, what are
> the implications of changing the base address? Do I need to inform the OS
> that things have changed? I notice that after I change the address, the
> files /proc/pci and /proc/bus/pci/devices still show the old base address.
> Are these files where linux looks to find base address info?

Probably depends on the hardware device and its driver. In a driver I'm
playing with, the base-addresses are fecthed from the card, so changing
them with setpci would be without direct problems (luckily I can modify
the hardware too, so I don't have this problem). You should however be
carefull with this. Make sure the address is unique! So probably linux
must be made aware of these changes. The new address range should not be
used for anything else. I'd say, give it a try :-) Mount everything you
can read-only, change the base-address, and insmod the driver (It wasn't
loaded until now, check with lsmod!). If you PC freezes, something went
terribly wrong, and you shouldn't have done this. Maybe there are better
solutions, but I'd go with this one.

> Is it the
> responsibility of the person who changes the base address to update these
> files as well?

The proc filesystem doesn't contain real files, so I'm not sure how you
should go with this (Nor if it is needed)

Eric

------------------------------

From: "HR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATI RADEON X
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 13:26:26 +0100

is there a xserver for radeon 64mb tv-out ?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (K.C. Hari kumar)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: Xircom  RealPort CardBus RBEM56G ???
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 14:09:16 +0000 (UTC)

"Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in <OiO7YgVWAHA.56@cpmsnbbsa07>:

>Can anyone tell me if Linux supports a Xircom RealPort CardBus Ethernet
>10/100 + Modem 56 (RBEM56G-100) PCMCIA card?  I am mainly interested in
>using it with Red Hat, and also Mandrake (both are the latest versions).
>
>If this card does work under Linux, can you help me with DETAILED
>instructions on how to configure Linux to use/work with the card,
>please? (E.g. which config files to modify, which network settings,
>which "adapter" to use, etc. etc. etc.)
>
>Thank you very much (in advance)   :-)
>
>Cameron Ninham
>cpn66 at hotmail dot com

Mandrake 7.2, detects and configures this card automatically.
Don't know about Redhat.

------------------------------

From: "Gregory Lepere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DiskOnChip
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:07:08 +0100

http://www.m-sys.com/files/manuals/doc/IM-DOC-021_Linux_OS_Rev3.2.pdf
or if you feel angry about breaking GPL, take a look at :
http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: root password changed, need help
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:16:04 +0100

Damnit, this is the 3rd NG I've seen this post in.
If you *must* post to multiple NG's, make it a crosspost, but

DO NOT MULTIPOST

It's really annoying.

Eric

------------------------------

From: Sinner from the Prairy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unknown hardware problem. Can anyone help?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:27:14 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> First I tried to install Red Hat 6.0 which I had running fine on my
> old Pentium 166MMX. About halfway through the install program on my
> new system it just barfs and freezes up. After that I tried installing
> Linux-Mandrake 7.1. That ran through the install program with no
> problems, it even successfully tested the loading of X-Windows. But
> when I then exited the install program and tried to load Linux it
> would freeze partway through the loading process at the same point
> every time.

where does it get frozen?  what is the error message?

> My system is listed below. Does anyone see anything that may have
> caused my problems?

> AMD Athlon 600 (original athlon)
> 256 MB PC100 RAM by Infineon
> Quantum FireballP KX 20.4 GB Hard Drive ATA66

Yo say that you have Win98 installed and I will assume that it has been
installed at the beggining of the hd1

I will try a wild guess.

Well, the LiLo version included in Mandrake 7.1 is not the newest one.
And your HD looks pretty big. Si I will say that your system froxes
showing only "LI" or something similar.

On those premises, I say that your "/boot" partition (or "/boot"
directory if you included it in a big ol' single "/" partition) is
beyond cilinder 1024, the limit for booting with LiLo until the new
version become available about a few months ago.

So you can do a couple things:

1.- download the newest lilo version, in rpm format. Try the one from
Mandrake 7.2. I think it's the right version. Then, start the system
with a rescue disk (you have one, don't you?). Install the new lilo,
configure it (lilo.conf), run "lilo", reboot and that's it.

2.- start all over again...windows included, leaving a space of 5 MB or
so on the beggining of your hard disk drive (hda1), install Windows on
hda2 and then install Linux and choose hda1 as your /boot mount point.

Both ways should work... if my guess of your problem is right (I guess
my seer_ball.o is the proper version :P

> Thanks in advance.

You're wellcome

> Grant Bryson

Salut,
Sinner from the Prairy
--
http://www.geocities.com/sinner_prairy
[MaDuiXa PoWeR] http://www.maduixa.net

------------------------------

From: "Silvio Fornera" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.dial-up,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: PCI modem under Mandrake 7.1
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 14:55:31 GMT

how can I run my PCI modem under Linux mandrake 7.1? in win98 it's Com
(serial) 3
thx
--

Silvio Fornera

Subject: Re: abit kt7 raid & linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 15:46:23 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (hanne) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Hi,
>
>does anyone have a clue how to get linux working while the harddisk is
>connected to the ata100/raid connector??
>over here it hangs at "LI".

Get the HPT370 patch from www.highpoint-tech.com, and enable the HPT370
support in the kernel with the drive on one of the slower IDEchannels. You
can then try booting from one of the UDMA5 channels.

I don't have a KT7 myself, but I am considering buying one. It would be
nice if you let me know how it turns out :)

--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22950312
Nordbergv. 60 A         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: good & cheap b&w printer
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 15:52:26 GMT

hi

I'm looking for a good printer (high resolution min. 1200 dpi) that is
well supported by Linux - preferable USB. Printing color is not that
important, and a laser printer is just too expensive compared to the
jet printers.

I don't print much, so the higher printing cost of a jet printer is
okay. I just don't want to buy one that works great under Windows and
not at all under Linux - any recommendations?

martin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: "James C. Morris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: APMS is killing my computer
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:13:46 GMT

Thanks I ended up reloading the system and all is back as it should be. Now
I'm working out a email with postfix. My server will be in a DMZ and I need
for the server to allow those with an account to send and recieve email on
the road, only those on the same ip can do this, but my internal network can
not.
" Black Dragon " <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in

------------------------------

From: "nnomden" <nomko.nomden(no-spam)@inter.nl.net>
Subject: Drivers for Diamond Fire GL1000 Pro
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 17:57:55 +0100

Hi,

At this moment i'm using Win98,but i considered to use linux in the future.
I have a question: does someone know were i can find Linux-drivers for my
videocard(Diamond Fire GL 1000 Pro)
Thanks!!!

N.N

nomko.nomden(no-spam)@inter.nl.net

remove (no-spam)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: good & cheap b&w printer
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:57:20 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <905t3m$6d5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> hi
>
> I'm looking for a good printer (high resolution min. 1200 dpi) that is
> well supported by Linux - preferable USB. Printing color is not that
> important, and a laser printer is just too expensive compared to the
> jet printers.
>
> I don't print much, so the higher printing cost of a jet printer is
> okay. I just don't want to buy one that works great under Windows and
> not at all under Linux - any recommendations?

First, go to a store, read reviews, or whatever, and make a list of
candidate printers that seem to work well from Windows.

Second, check http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi for
information on the Linux compatibility of the candidate printers you've
picked out. You can then make your decision.

As a general rule, Epson inkjets seem to work pretty well under Linux.
Printers from other manufacturers are iffier as a rule, but many work
well (particularly higher-end HP inkjets and many Canon models).
Lexmark inkjets should be avoided, as a general rule, although if you
can find a discontinued Optra 40, it would be an excellent choice.
(They're virtually impossible to find now, though.) Some mid-range to
low-end laser printers from HP, Lexmark, and others also work quite
well in Linux, and will produce better quality on most paper at 1200
dpi than will inkjets at the same resolution (toner doesn't spread on
paper, but ink does, reducing the effective resolution of inkjets).

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: "fauzbear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Mandrake 7.2 Video
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:07:18 -0600

I had the same problem so I went back ti Xfree 3.3 and have had no problems.

news:3a2616f8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3com modem
Date: 28 Nov 2000 10:11:13 +0900

    Dances> Plug the modem into the serial port (one of the 9-pin
    Dances> ports on the back of your machine--if this was originally
    Dances> designed for Mac, you'll have to find an adapter plug that
    Dances> converts the 8-pin Mac serial port to the 9-pin PC serial
    Dances> port), make sure there's power going to the modem, and try
    Dances> starting "minicom".  This is a basic terminal program
    Dances> that's useful for diagnosing modem problems in many cases.
    Dances> The modem will most likely be on /dev/ttyS0 (aka COM1) or
    Dances> /dev/ttyS1 (aka COM2).

    Dances> All external modems should Just Work; this is a bit weird.

yes, but there alot of things that can go wrong when setting up serial
devices.  is it configured correctly in the bios?  are the serial
ports getting set up properly on bootup?  is the particular piece of
software you're using aimed at the right places?  are there any irq or
i/o port conflicts?  actually, i'd think it'd be kind of wierd if it
were to work right out of the box.

also: yeah, the mac-ishness of the modem is a non-issue aside from the
physical connection.  i used a "mac" modem on pc-linux before i
accidently smashed it.

ciao,

g.m.

--
Being a BALD HERO is almost as FESTIVE as a TATTOOED KNOCKWURST.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 30 Nov 2000 10:18:49 +0900

    asdk> On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 00:04:12 +0100, hanne
    asdk> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: if you find anything
    asdk> let me know thanks

    asdk> [EMAIL PROTECTED] thanks

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> does anyone have a clue how to get linux working while the
    >> harddisk is connected to the ata100/raid connector??  over here
    >> it hangs at "LI".

did you check on deja news?  lot's of people have asked and lots of
people have gotten linux going on the kt7100.  anyway, the basic
strategy is to hook the hd up to the regular ide, install, update
kernel for the hpt370, reconfigure, yank the cable out of the regular
ide and plop it into the ata100/raid connector, and reboot.

ciao,

g.m.

--
I want you to organize my PASTRY trays ... my TEA-TINS are gleaming in
formation like a ROW of DRUM MAJORETTES -- please don't be FURIOUS with

------------------------------

From: Natalie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.dial-up,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: PCI modem under Mandrake 7.1
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 01:16:57 +0800

don't think your PCI modem (aka WinModem) will work on v7.1
you're better off getting an external modem

From: "Leyland Chui" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.dial-up,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 02:01:27 +0800

Try http://www.linmodems.org

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Leonard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.dial-up,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 13:16:47 -0500

  Silvio...
    Make sure your PCI modem is not a "winmodem"...check
out the Linux hardware sites that show the approved
equipment. Check out the Modems. Winmodems were
designed for a windows operating system...Linux does
not like them...it is best to buy a non-winmodem than
struggle with them!! Note that Windows runs faster
with the non-windows modems also! The chips on the
modem do work that is dumped onto the CPU chip under
windows-winmodems!! A big mess!

I've been running a PCI modem on LM for about two years...
Mind you, the modem has to be a "full modem".  The one
I am running is a complete modem designed as an
internal PCI based format. Works great under Windows
also.

Look under the  big K Icon...track it back to a
hardware/equipment  area that shows  the PCI
info..such as IRQ address, port, etc.

The setserial command sets your modem up  the
proper port, etc. As an example my modem is
set up as follows:

setserial /dev/ttyS3 16550a irq 10 port 0xe400

Yours might be different, the info you need is in
the hardware under the PCI icon.

If you find your modem is not a "winmodem"...
You will need to insure that KPPP is setup to
the same device in the setserial command.

Then, if you find a workable set of parameters,
you'll want to put them in the startup module
named: /etc/rc.d/rc.local this will do an
automatic setserial command for you at every
startup without any manual entry.

Good Luck,

Leonard...

P.S. See the following site for info on this modem:
http://www.actiontec.com
Full PCI modem...with instructions on installing
on Linux!! Available in US/Canada.

From: Dennis McLaughlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Help: /dev/psm0 doesn't exist. How do I create this entry in /dev?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 13:22:12 -0500

I setup XF86Config on my comp and my PS/2 Intellimouse doesn't work. I
look around and found out that I have to make it point to /dev/psm0. The
thing is, this device doesn't appear in my /dev directory.

According to Menuconfig, PS/2 support is compiled into the kernel. The
/dev/psm0 isn't a file or a directory. Any ideas on how I can get it
there?

Thanks.
Dennis

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 18:26:25 +0100
From: Bernhard Reiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SmartMedia and PCMCIA

Hi,

I have problemes with an ACER Travelmate 201TXV and
a SmartMedia. Kernel 2.2.16.

With dd I can access 8MB from /dev/hde.
But /dev/hde1 dosn't work correctly.

Nov 30 06:35:52 mouse kernel: hde: , 7MB w/0kB Cache, CHS=250/4/16
Nov 30 06:35:52 mouse kernel:  hde:hde: read_intr: status=0x59 {
DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }Nov 30 06:35:52 mouse kernel:
hde: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError },
LBAsect=0, sector=0

   Shouldn't it look like this ?

Nov 30 06:35:52 mouse kernel:  hde:hde1: ....
                                   ====

Thanks,
Bernd

PS: Here a lot more of information:
===================================
/var/log/messages:

Nov 30 06:35:49 mouse cardmgr[2554]: initializing socket 1
Nov 30 06:35:49 mouse cardmgr[2554]: socket 1: ATA/IDE Fixed Disk
Nov 30 06:35:49 mouse cardmgr[2554]:   product info: "OLYMPUS", "PAN ",
"1.0"
Nov 30 06:35:49 mouse cardmgr[2554]:   function: 4 (fixed disk)
Nov 30 06:35:49 mouse cardmgr[2554]: executing: 'modprobe ide_cs'
Nov 30 06:35:52 mouse kernel: hde: , ATA DISK drive
Nov 30 06:35:52 mouse kernel: ide2 at 0x100-0x107,0x10e on irq 3
Nov 30 06:35:52 mouse kernel: hde: , 7MB w/0kB Cache, CHS=250/4/16
Nov 30 06:35:52 mouse kernel:  hde:hde: read_intr: status=0x59 {
DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }Nov 30 06:35:52 mouse kernel:
hde: read_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError },
LBAsect=0, sector=0
Nov 30 06:35:52 mouse kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 21:00 (hde),
sector 0
Nov 30 06:35:52 mouse kernel:  unable to read partition table
Nov 30 06:35:52 mouse kernel: ide_cs: hde: Vcc = 5.0, Vpp = 0.0
Nov 30 06:35:52 mouse cardmgr[2554]: executing: './ide start hde'
Nov 30 06:35:52 mouse cardmgr[2554]: + open /dev/hde1:Device not
configured
Nov 30 06:35:52 mouse cardmgr[2554]: + dosfsck 2.2, 06 Jul 1999, FAT32,
LFN
Nov 30 06:35:52 mouse cardmgr[2554]: start cmd exited with status 1
Nov 30 06:49:55 mouse kernel: VFS: Disk change detected on device
fd(2,40)

================================
mouse:/etc # cat /var/lib/pcmcia/stab
Socket 0: unsupported card
Socket 1: ATA/IDE Fixed Disk
1       ide     ide_cs  0       hde     33      0

================================
mouse:/etc # cat /etc/pcmcia/ide.opts
# ATA/IDE drive adapter configuration
#
# The address format is "scheme,socket,serial_no[,part]".
#
# For multi-partition devices, first return list of partitions in
# $PARTS.  Then, we'll get called for each partition.
#
case "$ADDRESS" in
*,*,*,1)
    #INFO="Sample IDE setup"
    DO_FSTAB="n" ; DO_FSCK="y" ; DO_MOUNT="y"
    FSTYPE="msdos"
    #OPTS=""
    MOUNTPT="/mnt/ide1"
    ;;
*,*,*,2)
    #INFO="Sample IDE setup"
    DO_FSTAB="n" ; DO_FSCK="y" ; DO_MOUNT="y"
    FSTYPE="msdos"
    #OPTS=""
    MOUNTPT="/mnt/ide2"
    ;;
*,*,*)
    PARTS="1"
    # Card eject policy options
    NO_CHECK=n
    NO_FUSER=n
    ;;
esac

================================
fstab:
/dev/hde1 /mnt/ide1 msdos noauto,rw,user,exec,suid,umask=000 0 0
/dev/hde2 /mnt/ide2 msdos noauto,rw,user,exec,suid,umask=000 0 0

================================
mouse:/etc # cardctl status
Socket 0:
  5V 16-bit PC Card
  function 0: [ready], [wp], [bat low]
Socket 1:
  5V 16-bit PC Card
  function 0: [ready], [bat dead], [bat low]

================================
mouse:/etc # cardctl config
Socket 0:
  Vcc 5.0V  Vpp1 5.0V  Vpp2 5.0V
Socket 1:
  Vcc 5.0V  Vpp1 0.0V  Vpp2 0.0V
  interface type is "memory and I/O"
  irq 3 [exclusive] [level]
  function 0:
    config base 0x0200
      option 0x41 status 0x00 pin 0x00 copy 0x00
    io 0x0100-0x010f [auto]

================================
mouse:/etc # file -s /dev/hde
/dev/hde: MP32, Mono
mouse:/etc # file -s /dev/hde1
/dev/hde1: can't read `/dev/hde1' (Device not configured).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Maarten D. de Jong)
Subject: Re: Problem with SB Live!Player 1024
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 18:29:10 +0000 (UTC)

Philip wrote on Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:24:53 GMT:
: In article <9057i7$55k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
: >
: > How do I get Linux to use this card? In my kernel (2.2.16), there is
: > support for SB-cards, which worked fine for my SB 16. However, a Live!
: > card is a totally different beast, and using 'support for SB cards'
: > during kernel compile doesn't seem to work. Can anybody offer a
: > suggestion on how to proceed?
:
: There is a nice option called:
: Creative SBLive! (EMU10K1) (NEW)
: under the sound options.

There is?? Oh my... Looks like I didn't look very hard then :).

Maarten