From: "Doug Bassett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: scsi cd burner problem - help please
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 10:48:18 +1100

Hi,
I am prety much a newbie when it comes to this.
I have just recently installed mandrake 7.2 and now am unable to mount my CD
burner. I have read through a lot of the posts to this newsgroup but am
still unsure of what I need to do.

If I try and mount it manually I get the following error

[root@localhost /dev]# mount /dev/scd0 -t iso9660 /mnt/burner
mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/scd0 as a block device
       (maybe `insmod driver'?)

MDK 7.1 located and set it up during installation and even put a shortcut
to it on my desktop (7.2 didn't do this for any of my devices, which was
a bit od a dissappointment) So I reinstalled 7.1 again on its own
partition and once again it was installed.

Had a look in hardrake (in 7.1) and it had the following information about it
under CDRoms
vendor: Unknown
device: /dev/scd0
bus type: scsi

It doesn even show up in hardrake in 7.2

While in 7.1 I had a look at the fstab file to see how it was mounted and
there was the following line

/mnt/cdrom2 /mnt/cdrom2 supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom2 0 0

When I looked in /dev cdrom2 is a link to scd0 (Why is this necessary why
just not mount scd0??????)

some more information just in case
scsi card: symbios 8100s pci scsi adapter; 53c810 device
CD-Rom: Matsushita CW-7502
running Mandrake 7.2 on a PIII 450 with 128Meg RAM

Any ideas how I might get this device working under 7.2

Many thanks

--
Doug

From: "jazardous" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Change IRQ for my SBLIVE?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 23:54:48 GMT

Hey, it works!

I forced trough bios the irq 10 for pci slot #3(the one
my sblive is) and now is running properly.

Thanks!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Recognizing multiple CPUs
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 23:47:45 GMT

 Does Linux automatically recognize multiple CPUs on bootup? We will be
initially installing it on a single CPU system, but more CPUs are on
order. If we install the new CPUs, will we have to re-install Linux to
take advantage of them? How many CPUs can Linux currently utilize? We
will most likely be using Redhat.

George

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Tony Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Recognizing multiple CPUs
Date: 30 Nov 2000 18:03:39 -0600

>> On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 23:47:45 GMT,
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>  Does Linux automatically recognize multiple CPUs on
> bootup? We will be initially installing it on a single
> CPU system, but more CPUs are on order. If we install
> the new CPUs, will we have to re-install Linux to take
> advantage of them? How many CPUs can Linux currently
> utilize? We will most likely be using Redhat.

Just make sure you configure the kernel with SMP support.

hth
Eih bennek, eih blavek.

------------------------------

From: Sean Akers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linksys LNE100TX NIC and frame errors
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 00:19:18 +0000

I have a Linksys LNE 100TX NIC in my SuSE 6.4 Linux box. It uses the tulip
driver. It works OK but if I look at the ifconfig output I do seem to be
getting some errors from the card. Here is the output

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:CC:29:33:9E
          inet addr:192.168.100.100  Bcast:192.168.100.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:3171 txqueuelen:100
          Interrupt:9 Base address:0x6100

The machine at this point has been up 1 day (I've just  installed some more
memory). As you can see, I've had 26 errors. These errors increase on a daily
basic. Admittedly, considering the amount of traffic that comes through the
card they are not that great but I hate seeing errors and it's bugging me.

At work, we have a Linux machine on a network using Intel NICs and there are
never any errors. Are errors like these normal ? If not, is it due to the
card, the driver , the use of IRQ 9, or my Linux box being an old P166 and
just not being able to cope with the traffic, or is it my client machines (W2K
boxes with LNE100TX cards just the same)?

Cheers,

Sean.

------------------------------

From: Ron Grigg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 18:24:01 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>  Does Linux automatically recognize multiple CPUs on bootup? We will be
> initially installing it on a single CPU system, but more CPUs are on
> order. If we install the new CPUs, will we have to re-install Linux to
> take advantage of them? How many CPUs can Linux currently utilize? We
> will most likely be using Redhat.
>
> George
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

SMP must be configured into the kernel.  If you are going to have more
than two cpu's then I believe you will need to use a 2.4 kernel series
kernel (not officially released but available;-).

Regards,
Ron

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jose Fajardo)
Subject: Re: 3com Ether Link III
Date: 1 Dec 2000 01:24:43 +0100

if you are using 6.1 or 6.2, I beleive that at
/etc/conf.modules or /etc/modules.conf vi that file.
Then just add in "alias eth0 3c509" with out the qoute
k. then restart after the lo shoudl follow the eth0.
This does sit the ip address, you have ifconfig etho
a.b.c.d what ever ip address you want. But if you want
to set to a certain address all you must go to
/etc/sysxxx(something)/networkscripts(i believe) just
"cp ifup-lo(i forget) to ifup-eth0. On that file a
line address is one there then just insert the address
that you want and get rid of the others stuff that you
don't need. That should do the trick. C ya and good
luck and I helped out a little.

J.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/

--
Posted from web11001.mail.yahoo.com [216.136.131.51]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Bootdisk with tape support?
Date: 1 Dec 2000 01:01:23 GMT

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 14:45:07 -0800, Jean-Michel F Moreau wrote:
>How do I make a boot disk that has tape support (in the event of a
>catastrophe)?
>
>I am using a internal ide HP Colorado  20gb. w/ RH& and kernel 2.4.0-test10.
>To get the drive to work I use scsi emulation.   I added this line to my
>lilo.conf:
>append="hdb=ide-scsi"
>then I can use the tape drive with /dev/st0 or /dev/nst0.
>
>But when I use a boot disk, I dont know how to get the same thing to happen.
>
>At the LILO: prompt I tried:
>linux hdb=ide-scsi
>But there was no /dev/st0 after the boot finished.... how do I get this to
>work?

The kernel on your bootdisk should have SCSI support, IDE-SCSI support,
and SCSI tape support compiled directly into it.  Make a kernel like
that and either dd it to a floppy or make a bootdisk with LILO, using
the kernel as the default image.  Check
http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html and
http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO.html for more info if you get
stuck.  BTW, "mkbootdisk" isn't really the right thing for this sort of
work, though you can try it anyway.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Red Hat Linux 6--sound for root, not for users
Date: 1 Dec 2000 01:01:24 GMT

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 22:30:06 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I have a Red Hat 6 linux system using Gnome, Enlightenment, and an Ensoniq
>1371 soundcard.  Sound works fine for the Root account, but will not work
>for any users.  I get an Esound error in Enlightenment.  This should be a
>simple problem of file permissions, but I don't know what to assign where.
>Thanks for any help.

machine# chmod 666 /dev/dsp* /dev/mixer*

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Help: /dev/psm0 doesn't exist. How do I create this entry in /dev?
Date: 1 Dec 2000 01:01:26 GMT

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 13:22:12 -0500, Dennis McLaughlin wrote:
>I setup XF86Config on my comp and my PS/2 Intellimouse doesn't work. I
>look around and found out that I have to make it point to /dev/psm0. The
>thing is, this device doesn't appear in my /dev directory.
>
>According to Menuconfig, PS/2 support is compiled into the kernel. The
>/dev/psm0 isn't a file or a directory. Any ideas on how I can get it
>there?

You're looking for /dev/psaux .

(You are lost in a maze of twisty little /dev naming conventions, all
slightly different from one another.)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: hdparm -I output
Date: 1 Dec 2000 01:01:36 GMT

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:44:30 +0000, Guennadi V. Liakhovetski wrote:
>>> DblWordIO=no, maxPIO=2(fast), DMA=yes, maxDMA=0(slow)
>>> CurCHS=3148/16/63, CurSects=3173184, LBA=yes, LBAsects=3173184
>>> tDMA={min:120,rec:120}, DMA modes: mword0 mword1 *mword2
>>> IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:160,w/IORDY:120}, PIO modes: mode3 mode4
>> currently set to return from one read request  DblWordIO: ???  maxPIO:
>> fastest PIO mode the drive supports
>
>But you forgot about the last line. And what does it mean maxPIO=2 and
>later PIO modes: mode3 mode4?

I didn't forget it; my fingers were tired.  IORDY is a status condition
the drive can report, stands for I/O Ready.  tPIO is something else
which I don't recall.  PIO modes should be self-explanatory.

>> LBA:  Does this drive
>> supprot Linear Block Addressing?  LBASects: same as CurSects for modern
>> drives  tDMA: ???  DMA modes:  available DMA modes; active one is marked
>> with *.
>
>what? drive? chipset? BIOS? kernel? And the best thing - if the fastest
>DMA available is 0, how can the active one be mword2??? hdparm -v shows
>DMA off. hdparm -d1 produces an error:
>/dev/hda:
> setting using_dma to 1 (on)
> HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
> using_dma    =  0 (off)

hdparm gets its info directly from the drive itself.  If the drive
supports DMA and the kernel doesn't have support for the DAM
capabilities of your IDE chipset, forget setting hdparm -d1.

>Please help! This is driving me crazy...
>Chipset 430FX / Triton / PIIX, disk Western Digital Caviar AC21600H
>Firmware code F6 (no UDMA, some WD docs show DMA mw2, some PIO4...),
>kernel 2.2.17 with ide patch and PIIX enabled, DMA by default, generic
>DMA, and couple others. Did not try 'bad DMA-firmware
>(EXPERIMENTAL)'. dmesg (relevant - in my view - lines):
>CPU: Intel Pentium 75 - 200 stepping 05
>ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
>PIIX: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 38
>PIIX: chipset revision 2
>PIIX: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>PIIX: neither IDE port enabled (BIOS)
>I'll try reducing PCI bus speed, don't think mine supports 33MHz, but
>don't think it will help. hdparm -tT gives only about 4.8MB/s... Tried
>ide0=dma kernel boot-option - no difference...

Don't know for sure, but you may be running into a CPU bottleneck.  IDE
is fairly CPU-intensive compared to SCSI, and a P-75 can get bogged down
trying to shovel data.  If your PCI bus doesn't go at 33MHz, that's
another problem, since the PCI bus is always supposed to be at 33MHz.
Have you tried enabling the IDE ports in the BIOS?  Might make a
difference.  FWIW, -m16 -u1 -c1 helps a lot even if you can't get DMA
going.  Heck, when I enabled DMA with hdparm -d1 on my system, it didn't
make any difference to HD throughput.  Hedrick's IDE patch made it
impossible to use -d1, but the boot messages said "(U)DMA timing config
success" and throughput rose anyway.

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound record level?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:06:45 -0500

Hi all,

I apologize if this is not the right forum for this question, but it is
hardware related...

I have a SoundBlaster PCI 512 card, and I'm looking for a GUI sound
recorder for Linux that works something like Creative's small sound
recording app. In other words, I want to record from the "line in" and
see the input levels so I can set the levels properly, and I want to be
able to start and stop and get separate WAV files that way. My RedHat
6.2 with Gnome has an ESD volume meter, but it doesn't seem to apply
when using ESD recording...

Any ideas?

Mark Bratcher
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Escape from Microsoft's proprietary tentacles: use Linux!

------------------------------

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Printer Setup
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:13:44 -0500

PK,
You can try editing your /etc/conf.modules file and adding the
following:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=5

As long as you know that there is no conflict with IRQ 5.

Mark

[snip]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Subject: Re: partition on S390
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 01:43:08 GMT

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:31:57 +0000, Paras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>hi ,
>i have a s390 machine with Red Hat Linux - 2.2.16 running on it.
>i want to partition the hard disk dasda1. how do i do that ? is there
>anything like fdisk that can make it possible ?

Unless you're running Linux/390 under VM, no.  There is no partitioning
possible on native DASD devices.  If you're running VM, then you can make
minidisks whatever size you want, and then format them for use with Linux.

If you're going to be working with Linux/390, then you really should go to
http://www.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?linux-390, scroll down to the bottom
and subscribe to the Linux for S/390 mailing list.  There's over a thousand
people already subscribed, and some of us have almost a year's worth of
experience with the platform.

Mark Post

Postmodern Consulting
Information Technology and Systems Management Consulting
To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Phinney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microtek3E scanner and SuSE 7.0
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 19:15:51 -0700

Kate McMillan wrote:

> I have a Microtek E3, using a SCSI card advansys revA ASC3150 on an IDE
> system.
>
> Everything works up until the time I actually want to scan. The card is
> recognized, scanimage -L picks up the scanner, xscanimage brings up the
> box, sane works, but when I go to scan it waits about a minute and returns
> the following error:
>
> scanimage: sane_start: Error during device I/O
>
> sgcheck doesnt' seem to be installed in this version (SuSE 7.0) of linux.
> so I can't use that, but I've been working with my hardward guy and he
> assures me that there isn't an addressing problem.
>
> Do you have any insight? I've checked on deja news, and found only
> questions, no real answers.
>
> (The scanner worked as is on a windoze system so we don't think that the
> cable or termiantion are at fault.)
>
> --
> Kate
> http://www.katewerk.com

I'm having the same problem with my Linux-Mandrake 7.1 system and my E3. I
went to the SANE page (SANE does the scanimage and xscanimage software) and
discovered that that particular error occurs generally with systems that also
have the ide-scsi module loaded -- which generally occurs if you have a CD-R
or CD-RW drive also on your system. (I don't know about you, but I do) They
didn't offer any workarounds.

Any help, anybody?

Matthew

------------------------------

From: C K yang Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.dial-up,alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: PCI modem under Mandrake 7.1
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 02:27:26 GMT

Silvio Fornera wrote:

> how can I run my PCI modem under Linux mandrake 7.1? in win98 it's Com
> (serial) 3
> thx
> --
>
> Silvio Fornera
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have PCI modem running Susi v7.0,,even works with v6.4.  You need to
compile the pci device driver into the system's kernel.  I should have the
kernel compiler.

You can get the source on the net.  The pci device is written in C++.

------------------------------

From: "Ross Bennett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install
Subject: Help interpreting error msg/finding docs/ATAPI tape?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 21:53:25 -0500

Ahoy, Folks!

I've just installed RedHat 7.0 and it went smoothly except for an ATAPI tape
drive, a Seagate STT8000A Travan TR-4.  I haven't been able to find any real
documentation on using ATAPI tape devices.  I've seen a couple of notes and
observations, but that's about it.

Now, I did manage to find just a note on the web about adding

 modprobe ide-scsi

into /etc/rc.d/rc.local.  And that has got the drive functioning, but there
are error messages whenever I'm using mt.

During startup, when it hits the modprobe in rc.local, I do get:

  scsi2 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  scsi : 3 hosts.
    Vendor: Seagate   Model: STT8000A    Rev: 5.02
    Type:   Sequential-Access            ANSI SCSI revision: 02

And I am able to write and read back tars without any difficulty.  What's
puzzling me are the predictable error messages after all mt operations
except the first one that's not "status."

For instance.  After the system comes up, if I log in and ask (with no tape
loaded):

 $ mt -f /dev/tape status
 SCSI 2 tape drive:
 File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
 Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
 Soft error count since last status=0
 General status bits on (50000):
  DR_OPEN IM_REP_EN

I'll then load a tape and get:

 $ mt -f /dev/tape status
 SCSI 2 tape drive:
 File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
 Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x45 (QIC-3095-MC (TR-4)).
 Soft error count since last status=0
 General status bits on (41010000):
  BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

Seems okay so far.  But if I then give it any other command I get this error
message:

 $ mt -f /dev/tape retension
 st0: Error with sense data: [valid=0] Info fld=0x0, Current st09:00: sense
key Invalid Additional sense indicates Invalid command operation code

The tape drive does go ahead and do whatever I've asked it to, however.  But
any subsequent tape operation repeats this error message again.

Now, at least the tape drive is doing what I ask of it, and it's reading and
writing archives just fine in every instance I've tried.  But I would like
to clear up this error and learn what's generating it.

I'd appreciate any guidance, or pointers to documentation, than anyone can
suggest.  Or even guesses...I'm willing to experiment (and have been).  :-)

Thanks very much!

Ross