From: "Joseph C. Kopec" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Creative Modem Blaster Flash ISA -- Reply to jausions
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 03:27:38 GMT

Just saw your Nov 14 message today.  Unfortunately, I am a little hazy
on what I did to set up my Modem Blaster.  I thought I might have set
IRQ and memory range via jumpers and then turned off PNP, though my
current /var/log/messages has the following messages:

isapnp: Scanning for Pnp cards...
isapnp: Card 'Creative Modem Blaster Flash56 DI5601-1'"
isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total

Accordingly, maybe pnp is on on the card.  I am running version
2.4.0-test11 of the kernel, and I would guess that I compiled in pnp
support.  Note that I recently wiped my Linux partition and installed RH
6.2 and it had no problem recognizing the modem following the installation.

Other thoughts:  Is your /dev/modem a symlink to /dev/ttyS2 (as it
should be if you are using COM3)?  Have you tried to configure the modem
via Linuxconf?  For information on setserial, you may want to check out
the Serial HOWTO.

Hope these somewhat scatter-shot thoughts help

------------------------------

From: B A Koch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bellsouth DSL Modem and Linux
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 20:38:15 -0700

I've got the Intel 2100 internal modem from Qwest.  "USWorst is now
Qworst".   :)
I got a slightly different spin:  your choice of modem, installation is
a separate $90 fee.  However, the internal is free, the external costs
$150 because it's actually a router thus more costly.
It sucks, but I'd have to challenge you to get an external that will
WORK with your service for much less.

If there's EVER a driver for Linux for the internal, PLEASSSSE let me
know!

Brian

------------------------------

From: B A Koch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: want a NIC + RH7.0? Read me!
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 20:50:34 -0700

I had easy success with the cheapie DLink 10Mb card.  Kudzu recognized
it and loaded the drivers.  Plus it came with a cable and TurboLinux CD
to play with!  Got it at Fry's Electronics.

BK

------------------------------

From: Frank Pittel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MSI 694D Board .. any good?
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 03:50:58 -0000

Sascha Bohnenkamp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hello

: is the MSI 694D pro Board any good?
: especially with 2x850 MHz P3 and 2GB ram?

The board I have works great, as long you don't plan on using the built in sound.
I've been trying for better then a week to get it to work.

===================

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X windows
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 04:14:51 GMT

That's the way it goes.  You just gotta download all the packages it tells
tells you it depends on and install those.  BIG pain in teh ass.  I just
updated gnome the other day.  All i wanted to update was gnome and I ended
up having to update 25+ packages total due to depencies.

news:6VlV5.287178$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Hung Ngoc Lai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help newbie with configuring squid
Date: 2 Dec 2000 04:55:29 GMT

Hi everyone,

I am running Linux RH 6.1 (kernel 2.2.17) to connect my small LAN to the
internet via masquerading and ipchains.  Everything is working perfectly.
Now, I would like to implement transparent web-caching server on the Linux
box to improve the speed for users on my network (I do understand the pros
and cons of transparent proxying).  However, I could not find any
information at http://www.squid-cache.org in implmentating transparent
caching with squid.  The reason I like to implement transparent proxying
(or caching) is because I do not want to mess with configuring client
browsers.  I consider myself a linux newbie even though I am pretty good
at recompiling the kernel and setting up my own mail server using sendmail.
If anyone has experience with configuring transparent caching with squid,
please show me how to do it.

From: "luz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Graphics Card-What should I buy?
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 22:46:52 -0700

I currently have a FIRE GL 1000 PRO AGP graphics card with too little VRAM
and am looking
to update.  When I first got this system (DELL XPS R400), it took a while
before I found
linux support for AGP and this card.  I'd appreciate any recommendations
that you might
have regarding a 'good' graphics card that is currently supported with Linux
(i.e. X support).

Thanks much,
Schro

------------------------------

From: "Ruben Melendez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 00:35:33 -0500

I had a similar problem with bellsouth. But as soon as I got the do it
yourself install modem from them, I called them up and gave them a runaround
for a change until they decided to send a tech to check, get this, "my house
wiring." Ok, so when they came to my house I expained to them my DEEP
frustrations in life and asked if I could have one of "those" modems he had
in the van. HE AGREED!!!!!! So now I have this awesome ass modem without the
hefty fee of $150
Norman Bogard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:xGyU5.3248$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Instead of the crap that Bellsouth gives you (but doesn't support) for
Linux

------------------------------

From: "cybenrut" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Should PNP OS be set to NO in bios for linux?
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 23:16:34 -0700

Thanks for the info! It will really help out. =)

news:lgWV5.1710$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Anshuman Sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux sound mic input
Date: 2 Dec 2000 06:56:56 GMT

I have a development system over which I can do everything I need to
(record, playback, etc.)

However I have a embedded system running linux  which is giving me
problems.

when I do a loopback test with the mic attached on my development system I
can hear everything I speak. However the same is not the case with the
embedded system that doesn't behave the same. Both systems have the same
sound card Ensoniq ES 1371.I can only play back in the embedded system but
not record. Any clues on how to make it work?

--
Anshuman Sharma
Georgia Institute of Technology

------------------------------

From: Anshuman Sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.sound
Subject: Re: es1371 + viavoice + blackdown sound card problem
Date: 2 Dec 2000 07:13:09 GMT

John Harlow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I am having a similar problem with my es1371. I can playback but I am not
able to record. I have tried the loopback and I don't hear anything. I
don't know why it is not taking any output from the mic. any help?

 : In article
<ah2S5.20795$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
:   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
:> In article <8v1qm3$8sv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "John Harlow"
:> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>
:> > In article <d2LQ5.2971$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
:> >   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
:>
:> <snip>
:>
:> >> The es1371 driver does not support .au formats, which means that
: the
:> >> following quick-and-dirty ways of accessing the sound card do not
:> > work:
:> >>
:> >> cat sample.au > /dev/dsp dd bs=8k count=4 < /dev/audio > sample.au
:> >>
:> >> Catting /dev/sndstat does not do what I expect it to do:
:> >>
:> >> % cat /dev/sndstat
:> >> cat: /dev/sndstat: No such device
:> >>
:> > Same thing.
:> >
:> > Using the dd command works perfectly. Samples I dd in replay fine
: when I
:> > cat them to /dev/audio or /dev/dsp.
:>
:> I'm sorry, I'm confused. Do the "dd"  and the "cat sample.au
:> /dev/dsp" commands work for you or not? If they do, then your problem
: and
:> mine are somewhat different, as neither of those commands work for me
: -
:> catting .au files produces static.
:>
: catting a .au doesn't work. catting a file I created with dd and my
: microphone does work.

:> Would you mind emailing me your kernel configuration file?
:> (/usr/src/linux/.config)? I would much appreciate it if I could see
:> whether I've failed to check some option there.
: I'm running the stock MD 7.1 2.2.16 kernel. All of the sound is setup as
: modules.
:>
:> Finally, can you send me the name or the url of the commercial OSS
:> drivers that you downloaded?
: The drivers are from  http://www.4front-tech.com.
: To use them, you must rmmod sound and comment out the sound entries in
: /etc/conf.modules.

: I am still having viavoice problems. The setup tools work fine, but I
: have intermittent problems with their dictation word processing program

: Hope this helps.

: John

:>
:> Thanks for all your help. I'm not usually this incompetent, I just
: have a hard
:> time with hardware.
:>
:> matt
:>
:>

: --
: John R. Harlow
: United Systems Inc.
: email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

: Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
: Before you buy.

From: Vincent Saminather <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound problem with Linux 2.2.14 kernel (OSS)
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 02:09:05 -0800

I am trying to run linux on a Single Board Computer with an AMD K6
processor. I am using an Ensoniq ES1371 sound card. I am using the OSS
module provided with the kernel namely es1371.o. My problem is I can't
use the mic to record sound or even input sound. I tried to speak into
the mike and cycle it back through my speakers using:

cat /dev/dsp>sample.wav>/dev/dsp.

I was not successful in doing this ( input my voice thru the mic and
output thru the speakers). However I am successful in playing back sound
(I tested this by getting hold of a bunch of .wav files)  and I can
successfully record sound from one .wav file to another doing this:

cat mysample.wav>/dev/dsp>anothersample.wav

I have even tried playing around with the mixer controls using the aumix
application. I set the mic to record and tried it but no luck. I have
also tried maximizing the gain a la the advise of the Linux Sound HowTo
 However I did not know how to set the DMA's in case a different DMA
channel is set to handle record. If this could be the problem, please
let me know how I can solve it I did try setting Plug and Play to No in
the BIOS so that more IRQs and DMAs could be allotted by linux. I don't
know if I am required to recompile the kernel after doing this. I
haven't done this yet!

All my /dev/dsp* files also seem to be set up correctly.

Is there anybody out there who can help me get recording thru a mic
working. I am trying to  build a VoIP phone using Lucent wireless
wavelan and being able to input sound thru the mic is critical!

I also don't have the liberty of using ALSA as the embedded platform I
am using is not correctly configured for ALSA. I almost have it working
in that it can play sound. and accept calls. If it could only record
thru the mic, I would be a happy camper

Thanks in advance
Vincent Saminather

From: c0s <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: rtl3139 doesn't work yet "no" error
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 07:48:01 GMT

when i booted up my redhat 7 for the fist time with my realtek 3139 in it
it found it right away and helped me configure the network and everything,
however when i finally get up and log in i can ping so i began to look at
the settings (that all seemed right) so i looked at the card/cable well i
noticed the other computer i was connecting to (through a transparent hub)
had an led that was lit on the card it was using (another rtl3139 but on
win2k) knowing that the led indicated a connection i switched the cable and
now neither had an led, so i replaced the cable that didnt work with either
and the linux box still had no led, so i bought another one thinking maybe
it was bad, well i payed a bit more attention this time and noticed

the led stays on untill the network is initialized (specifically the eth0)
and then the light goes out, no error or anything but i can ping anything.

any ideas?

again:

my distro is RedHat 7 (not sure about the kernel what ever one ships with
rh7)