Linux-Hardware Digest #974, Volume #13            Sat, 2 Dec 00 14:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Re: LI from LILO; I'm one answer away from the Linux promised land ("Eric en
Jolanda")
  Re: HELP (Gareth Randall)
  Re: help newbie with configuring squid (Peter Bloomfield)
  Re: Matrox 400, Please help (Gareth Randall)
  Linux on HP NetServers ("Tim Weil")
  Re: "lp0 on fire" (Gareth Randall)
  Re: 3com509b problem ("Jan Andersson")
  Re: "lp0 on fire" (Robert Kiesling)
  ASUS ADLS PCI ("AP")
  Re: "lp0 on fire" (Tony Spinillo)
  Re: Graphics Card-What should I buy? (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Need Help with ISA PNP Modem (Lee Webb)
  Re: root password issues (Oliver D. Bedford)
  Re: -={ Help Finding PCMCIA Network card }=- (John-Paul Stewart)
  Re: ASUS ADLS PCI (Hal Burgiss)
  Sv: X windows ("Jesper K. Pedersen")
  Re: Need Help with ISA PNP Modem (Curtis Newton)
  RE: Need Help with ISA PNP Modem ("Antonio Lago Dacosta")
  RE: USR 5610 and USB ("Antonio Lago Dacosta")
  Re: rtl3139 doesn't work yet "no" error (David Norris)
  Re: Graphics Card-What should I buy? (David Norris)
  Floppy drive won't spit out disk under Mandrake 7.2 (Jens)
  Sound Not Always Working for Users (Larry)
  Re: Floppy drive won't spit out disk under Mandrake 7.2 (Peter Bloomfield)
  parallel ("robert smith")
  Re: Should PNP OS be set to NO in bios for linux? ("lobotomy")

From: "Eric en Jolanda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Re: LI from LILO; I'm one answer away from the Linux promised land
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 12:07:03 +0100

It's a bit hard to understand your problem and you have a strange way of
replying, but I'll give it another try.

You get to LI

meaning that the second stage loader failed
This usually means the the kernel is beyond cyl. 1024. But do I assume
correctly that hdb1 is your /boot?

Than it must be the fact that the geometry the BIOS finds and the geometry
that LILO (it got these values from linux) uses are different. (It can boot
from floppy, 'cause you probably copied the kernel to floppy too)
When the kernel runs, the problem is gone because the only LBA addressing is
used

Either you tell the BIOS the values linux is going to use, or tell LILO the
geometry it should use. Perhaps there's an option with LILO to supply fake
values for the geometry, and else boot from the floppy, and tell *that*
kernel hdb=C,H.S

Now you can rerun LILO and try to boot from HDD again.

Eric

------------------------------

From: Gareth Randall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 13:11:04 +0000

Darius Parvaneh wrote:

> Since I have installed the RedHat 7 on my machine , time to time my
> machine is blocked  (even if I do nothing on my machine)and the only
> solution I have is a power-off-on.

Not sure whether this is the answer, but I have a SCSI setup with two CD writer drives
(one external, one internal) with the controller in the middle.

The kernel does not like it if I turn off the external drive and hence leave the bus
unterminated, and periodically locks the machine allowing short bursts of runtime in
between. Solution is to either turn the external drive back on to reterminate the bus,
or reset the machine to cause the cards' own internal termination to be activated.

In short, check the termination.

Yours,
--
======= Gareth Randall =======

------------------------------

From: Peter Bloomfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help newbie with configuring squid
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 08:36:15 -0500

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/TransparentProxy.html should help.

------------------------------

From: Gareth Randall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Matrox 400, Please help
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 13:37:54 +0000

Masoud Pajoh wrote:

> I am using RH7 on a standalone X86, motherboard is Epox MVP3G5.
> I am trying to configure XFree 4.0.1 to detect and use my Matrox G400
> dualhead.
> When I use Xconfigurator, it does tell me that it knows that I have a
> Matrox video card which has 32MB of ram. On the driver line it has mga,
> but in parathesis afterwards it says NOT USED BY DEFAULT.

I have definitely read recently that the G400 driver does not, or did not, support
more than 16MB RAM by default, so this is probably what you're seeing. Unfortunately I
can find where this comment was. Possibly the Xserver documentation. I think a DEFINE
parameter can be altered to correct this.

Also, I'm not sure that dual head is actually supported yet.

--
======= Gareth Randall =======

------------------------------

From: "Tim Weil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux on HP NetServers
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 08:47:07 -0800

NetServer LH2 is not on the HP/Linux specification list.
Anyone know why?

http://www.netserver.hp.com/netserver/products/highlights_linux.asp>

Tim Weil
email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Gareth Randall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "lp0 on fire"
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 14:08:52 +0000

I'd heard that the "on fire" message was generated when the status lines on the
parallel port were in a combination which the driver simply didn't recognise. This
suggests that there may be nothing wrong with the printer - it's just sending an
unusual status report.

I don't have experience with this, but is there a way to simply disable interpretation
of certain status lines so that this condition is ignored?

--
======= Gareth Randall =======

------------------------------

From: "Jan Andersson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3com509b problem
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 16:10:35 +0100

Just ran the 3c5x9cfg.exe. Thanx for the tip, will try to run the batchfile
you mention.

Regards

Jan

------------------------------

From: Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 15:22:16 GMT

And Gareth Randall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes thusly:

> I'd heard that the "on fire" message was generated when the status lines on the
>parallel port were in a combination which the driver simply didn't recognise. This
>suggests that there may be nothing wrong with the printer - it's just sending an
>unusual status report.
>
> I don't have experience with this, but is there a way to simply disable
>interpretation of certain status lines so that this condition is ignored?

I assumed that error message was phased out.  Regardless, any solution
is going to be highly card-dependent and needs to run in kernel
space to avoid memory segment faults.  So look in the kernel
source Documentation subdirectory and see if there's anything written
about the that particular card.

--
Robert Kiesling
Linux FAQ Maintainer

------------------------------

From: "AP" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ASUS ADLS PCI
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 15:31:18 +0100

Hi, i have a problem with my modem ASUS PCI ADSL. The Asus doesnt do the
driver and i dont know how make it work with Linux. Anyone has ideas?

From: Tony Spinillo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 15:30:51 GMT

Carter Brey wrote:

> Hello--
>
> I run the RH  7 distro on a Dell Inspiron 7500 attached to an Epson
> Stylus Color 640 printer, and the system usually works happily.
> Unfortunately, once in a great while /dev/lp0 gets into a funk and
When I had my Epson440 hooked up, I got the same message. As it turned
out, I had to put new ink cartridges in :O Even though all the printer
lights looked fine.

Tony

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Graphics Card-What should I buy?
Date: 2 Dec 2000 15:32:31 GMT

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000 22:46:52 -0700, luz wrote:
>I currently have a FIRE GL 1000 PRO AGP graphics card with too little
>VRAM and am looking to update.  When I first got this system (DELL XPS
>R400), it took a while before I found linux support for AGP and this
>card.  I'd appreciate any recommendations that you might have regarding
>a 'good' graphics card that is currently supported with Linux (i.e. X
>support).

Define "good":

"I wanna play 3D Games" - nVidia TNT2/GeForce or Voodoo 3000
   (latest GeForceUltraFoo may not be supported; check this NG first!)
"I want excellent 2D"   - Matrox G400 or G450
"Cheap+it works OK"     - ATi Xpert98 or 99

These cards should be autodetected by a reasonably recent distribution,
just boot to runlevel 2 and run XF86Setup, XConfigurator, SaX, or
xf86config as root and you're good to go.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: Lee Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need Help with ISA PNP Modem
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 16:23:16 +0000

"V.90 K56Flex HSP PNP Modem "

HSP = software processing = WinModem!!!

If you have a look at http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/20001130a.html (big page)
you will see PCTels as not working...

So, at the moment, it won't work. Sorry.

Lee.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Oliver D. Bedford)
Subject: Re: root password issues
Date: 02 Dec 2000 17:37:55 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Thanks for all the info. I think i will try and save a copy of all my
> config files in etc, is there anywhere else that has important config
> file?  THen I guess format my hardrive and reinstall from scratch, using

  You should also check the config-files for backdoors etc.
Something like /bin/sh in inetd.conf would be a simple
example.

> my saved configs as reference to help me through getting the same set up
> back.  If I format the hardrive with all my linux info is there any
> reason why i shouldn't boot linux from my cdrom?

  None I'm aware of at the moment.

  Oliver

------------------------------

From: John-Paul Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: -={ Help Finding PCMCIA Network card }=-
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 16:46:16 GMT

Ryan Sullivan wrote:

> I just got linux-mandrake running on an NEC VersaPro notebook and I wanted
> to get it online through a Windows server (for now), but am unable to find a
> supported PCMCIA network card.  If anyone knows of one, or can help in
> anyway I would appreciate it.  Thanks.
>
>     -={ Ryan }=-

My Linksys/Network Everywhere NP100 card works just fine
under both Windows and Corel Linux with the pcmcia-utils
package.  I've also tried a D-Link DFE-650 which wouldn't
work under either operating system, so I cannot reccomend
it.

HTH,

J-P Stewart

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: ASUS ADLS PCI
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 16:50:18 GMT

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000 15:31:18 +0100, AP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi, i have a problem with my modem ASUS PCI ADSL. The Asus doesnt do
>the driver and i dont know how make it work with Linux. Anyone has
>ideas?

Either get an ethernet modem, write your own drivers <g>, or pressure
ASUS to do something about it. You can't use it without linux drivers,
and there are none.

--
Hal B

From: "Jesper K. Pedersen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Sv: X windows
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 18:45:24 +0100

Well... At least you know how to do it now :-)

But there is an easier way...
Use the rpmfind utility that is available. If you go to rpmfind (root server
I think of rpm releases) you can get it there...
Then when you want to update/install a package you do a   rpmfind --upgrade
I think it is. That will upgrade both the package and all dependancies.

Best regards
Jesper K. Pedersen
SolNet Data Service
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i en
nyhedsmeddelelse:%G_V5.45441$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Curtis Newton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 10:59:12 -0700

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000 04:01:49 -0800, "La Ranzi D. Leonard"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have a V.90 K56Flex HSP PNP Modem with the Pctel 388 chipset, and it
>doesn't seem to detect under Linux. I was wondering is the reason possible
>because it's a Winmodem or do I need to configure it for Linux myself. I am
>a newbie to linux, I just recently switch over from Windows. I surfed the
>net for some answers but I didn't really seem to find any. Help me please.

Definitely a winmodem.......if you don't mind spending around $80, get
an internal 3Com modem <not winmodem>.  They work great under linux.

-
--
===================================
Curtis Newton

Due to USENET spamming, I had to modify
my reply to email address.

Please delete  "remove-me"  to reply.

By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets
the definition of a telephone fax machine.  By Sec.227(b)(1)(C), it is
unlawful to send any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment.  By
Sec.227(b)(3)(C), a violation of the aforementioned Section is
punishable by action to recover actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever
is greater, for each violation.

------------------------------

From: "Antonio Lago Dacosta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 18:06:57 GMT

See Winmodems Howto (I think in www.linux.org) to do some winmodems work.

Good Luck
90ahef$e80k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Antonio Lago Dacosta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: USR 5610 and USB
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 18:10:22 GMT

Try deactivating PnP in your Bios. Some times it works.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: David Norris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rtl3139 doesn't work yet "no" error
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 12:22:18 -0600

> when i booted up my redhat 7 for the fist time with my realtek 3139 in it
> it found it right away and helped me configure the network and everything,
> however when i finally get up and log in i can ping so i began to look at
> the settings (that all seemed right) so i looked at the card/cable well i
> noticed the other computer i was connecting to (through a transparent hub)
> had an led that was lit on the card it was using (another rtl3139 but on
> win2k) knowing that the led indicated a connection i switched the cable and
> now neither had an led, so i replaced the cable that didnt work with either
> and the linux box still had no led, so i bought another one thinking maybe
> it was bad, well i payed a bit more attention this time and noticed
>
> the led stays on untill the network is initialized (specifically the eth0)
> and then the light goes out, no error or anything but i can ping anything.
>
> any ideas?

Can you give More Information? Such as, what is the exact output of
`ping,' and what is the output of `ifconfig' and `route' ? This would
help diagnose the problem.

--
David Norris

From: David Norris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 12:26:47 -0600

> I currently have a FIRE GL 1000 PRO AGP graphics card with too little VRAM
> and am looking
> to update.  When I first got this system (DELL XPS R400), it took a while
> before I found
> linux support for AGP and this card.  I'd appreciate any recommendations
> that you might
> have regarding a 'good' graphics card that is currently supported with Linux
> (i.e. X support).

While I'm sure it's not the `best,' I've had great luck with my GeForce2
32 MB card. It's a standalone board, and is supported flawlessly Out Of
The Box (X server, Glide, et al.) in Red Hat 7. A quick PriceWatch check
shows they're going for as low as $160.

(IIRC, all the other GeForce* series cards are supported as well.)

--
David Norris

From: Jens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Floppy drive won't spit out disk under Mandrake 7.2
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 18:32:15 GMT

This is probably one of those real stupid questions but a search under DEJA
didn't help ......
I have an LS120 floppy drive that Linux reads just fine but pressing the
eject button doesn't get me my floppy disk back. It is a soft eject of some
kind (most floppy drives eject the disk mechanically but this drive spits
it out like a CD - press the button and a motor does the eject) so it
requires interaction (somehow) with the operating system. The drive works
fine under windows so it is working ok. Has anyone ever run across this ?

Jens

------------------------------

From: Larry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound Not Always Working for Users
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 18:37:53 GMT

I have a problem with sound for users. Sound would work for root for any
applications but only some application ( i.e. mtv ) will the sound work for
users. Other application being run by users do not work. Moreover, when a
user logins via kdm, the introduction chimes do not work but it does work
for root.

What is happening? I am running Redhat 6.2 with KDE 2.0. My sound card is
SoundBlaster.

Larry

------------------------------

From: Peter Bloomfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 13:50:55 -0500

Jens wrote:

> This is probably one of those real stupid questions but a search under DEJA
> didn't help ......
> I have an LS120 floppy drive that Linux reads just fine but pressing the
> eject button doesn't get me my floppy disk back. It is a soft eject of some
> kind (most floppy drives eject the disk mechanically but this drive spits
> it out like a CD - press the button and a motor does the eject) so it
> requires interaction (somehow) with the operating system. The drive works
> fine under windows so it is working ok. Has anyone ever run across this ?
>
> Jens

man eject

------------------------------

From: "robert smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: parallel
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 19:01:22 -0000

has anyone tried parallel processing using a LAN on linux.i think i saw
something about it in suse, i just wondered if anyone had tried it...

rob.

--
www: www.mp34me.org
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "lobotomy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Should PNP OS be set to NO in bios for linux?
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 19:09:13 GMT

No argument that ISA is obsolete and hopefully will disappear from new
systems.  But a lot of that 'obsolete junk' is still useful hardware, and
someone who has ISA PnP stuff sitting around that works just fine
shouldn't have to throw it out and get an equivalent (not better) PCI part
just because the OS doesn't fully support it.  As silly as it seems to
devote resources to supporting it in the kernel now, I am glad they
did...I have an ISA NE2000 clone card which is configured automatically by
it and works great.  A PCI 10/100 card would of course be vastly
better...but this is fine for my needs.  Really they should have added
support a few years ago, when it would have been more useful, but its not so
late that some of us won't be able to benefit, and it certainly makes
Linux even more attractive for use with older hardware...which is one of
its strong points IMHO.

--
PC Chips actually goes by many names. PCChips = Ability = Alton = Amptron =
Aristo = Asia Gate = Asiatech = Assa = Atrend = Elpina = Eurone = Fugu =