From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RHL 6.2 on a Compaq Prosignia VS??
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 00:29:59 +0100

John Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Will RHL 6.2 operate on a Compaq Prosignia VS server?
> We're having trouble getting it to recognize 106MB of RAM.
> mem=xM at boot does not help.

That's impossible, because the kernel does what you tell it to.
If you tell it you have 1GB of ram, it will believe you, and then crash
trying to access it.

> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

That you either start realizing that you are not doing what you think you
are doing, or start telling us what you are doing, instead of telling
us what you think you are doing.

The procedure in reporting an experiment and your observations of it
is taught in most secondary schools ... and you clearly know how to!
So, come on, make an effort ...

(I'm not going to try any harder to tell you how to tell us what you
are doing)

Peter

------------------------------

From: David How <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCA -> 68Pins or 50Pins
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 22:01:56 +0000

In article <3a12bb4e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, John Hung P Ho
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>I have a number of SCSI Seagate drive with SCA connectors in the Sun Arrays.
>They are running great on the Sun.
>
>I want to put some of these SCA SCSI drives Seagate WC into my Redhat 7
>system.
>
>I've bought a bunch of adapters that convert SCA to 68 or 50 pins with
>termination.
>
>The adaptec 2940UW can see the drive fine, but seems to be lots of SCSI
>resets.
>Ton of errors with SCSI resets.
>
>Anyone experience with such thing?
>
>TKs
>John

I would check the specification of the Seagate WC drive. I believe that
model numbers ending WC are Differential SCSI rather than Single Ended
SCSI. I believe that the Adaptec 2940UW is a Single Ended SCSI. I
suspect a fundamental incompatibility in the SCSI Bus specification and
you may have to buy/obtain a different SCSI Controller card. It also
affects the SCSI Terminators.

Differential SCSI uses Balanced pairs of wires for signalling (i.e. one
wire goes +Ve while the other wire goes -Ve. They (the wires) then
revers polarity between 1 and 0). Single Ended SCSI uses one wire as a
Signalling Earth while the other wire swings between +Ve to represent
one state and -Ve  to represent the other state. This allows number of
Signaling Earth Wires to be reduced by making a number of signalling
paths (Data/Control bit) to share Signalling Earths.

--
David How       Internet   -    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(London)        Compuserve -    100031,3003,

------------------------------

From: Peter Bloomfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Alternatives to Wavelan? Re: IEEE WaveLAN
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 19:06:26 -0500

Sinner from the Prairy wrote:

> Peter Bloomfield wrote:
>
> > Anshuman Sharma wrote:
>
> > I use that driver too, but my card is talking to AirPort cards in
> > iBooks, so I haven't had to face any issues with talking to another
> > WaveLAN in a Linux box. But Ad-hoc mode works for my situation.
>
> > HTH, Peter
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm thinking on, maybe, getting wireless at home. What is the cost of a
> Wavelan PCI card? Where do you guys recomend to get it? Is there any
> other alternative for wireless Linux-friendly cards?
>
> Regards,
> Sinner
> --
> http://www.geocities.com/sinner_prairy
> [MaDuiXa PoWeR] http://www.maduixa.net
> __________________
>                   |\                 Linux User # 89976
> =====Sinner==== >=--[]>- a Mach 2.5!!  Running on Mandrake 7.2
> __________________|/                     Linux Machine # 38068

Hi Sinner!

When I bought my WaveLAN card, they came only as PCMCIA, and I put mine
in an ISA bridge.  There's also a PCI bridge, but iirc there may be
problems with it.  Check out
http://www.fasta.fh-dortmund.de/users/andy/wvlan/ and the links off that
page.  As to buying them, I couldn't find any bargains, though I didn't
look much further than the links off Orinoco's page.  Mine was maybe
$170 + another $70 for the bridge(?)  At the time it wasn't clear that
there was any alternative to WaveLAN if you want to talk to AirPort
cards, as I did.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: X-window problems
Date: 5 Dec 2000 01:10:32 GMT

On 4 Dec 2000 22:13:23 GMT, Skipp staggered into the Black Sun and said:
>Your not going to like my answer, but it worked for me.  I removed my high
>end video card and replaced it with a generic SVGA card I had
>layiing around. Red hat Linux picked up the change the next boot and made
>the basic config changes for the os.
>
>I then configured the system with the generic card and wrote the X-Server
>driver file.  It tested and worked just fine...  Xconfigurator can/should
>be used for the setup.

In my experience, XConfigurator is subpar compared with SaX,
XF86Setup, and xf86config.  SaX is SuSE-specific, but the other 2 are
part of X11R6 and should work at any time with anything that Xfree86
supports.

>For some strange reason, Xconfigurator gets all hung up about your video
>card and won't let you write a new file once it zeros in (finds) on it.
>You can never seem to get out of the loop unless you try what I did, which
>worked for me.

"rm -f /etc/X11/XF86Config " and see if XConfigurator will let you write
a new file *then*.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Hardware RAID Options?
Date: 5 Dec 2000 01:10:34 GMT

The folks at my place of employment are looking to build a Linux box
with a reasonably large (~290G) SCSI RAID-5, and would like to have a
hardware RAID controller.  I did some grubbing around on Deja, but
didn't find as much as I'd thought.

The box we're looking at is a Dell PowerEdge, where one of the options
is a PERC2-Si controller (aka "AMI MegaRAID") that I'm sure is
supported.  One Deja post from about 10 months ago said the performance
on that particular card wasn't so hot--still true?  And does anyone have
any information on the PERC2-DC or PERC2-QC controllers that are also
available?  Those came up empty on Deja.  I should know more about this
stuff, but due to financial constraints, most of my Linux experience has
been on lower-end hardware.

FWIW, this machine's main purpose in life will be as an FTP server, and
it'll eventually handle 12G or so of data per day.  It will also handle
a bit of Apache stuff, some automatic processing of uploaded text files
via Perl, and Quake3^H^H^H^H^H^Hpossibly other mission-critical
applications as needed.  Spec follows:

Dual PIII 866MHz
Dual 330W powersupply
512M ECC SDRAM
5 73G SCSI drives for 292G in RAID-5
Intel EEPro 10/100 Ethernet
DLT1 (40G uncompressed) Tape drive
Vanilla keyboard, mouse, SCSI CD-ROM, monitor, floppy

Any comments/criticisms/suggestions appreciated; please post to the NG
as I spend a great deal of time here anyway....

From: "Pellicle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HSP K56Flex Modem problem
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 01:25:16 GMT

Yes it is.  I have one.  It has a Motorola chipset.  I bought a 3com USR to
replace it and rp3 found and dialed it flawlessly (red hat 7)

Gareth Randall wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>This is quite strange. I didn't think that ISA had sufficient bandwidth to
reliably operate a Winmodem. I thought that was why ISA was generally a safe
bet with regard to modems, whereas PCI was risky. Am I wrong here?

>On your IRQ question, the IRQ10 won't show up until something actually
opens the modem to talk to it, so don't worry about this. Mine basically
doesn't show up until I go online.

>Another issue is how can the following happen if there's no proper UART to
talk to??
>/dev/ttyS2, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 10
>
>The serial driver works on IO ports to make this identification. I'd be
very surprised if a software only modem would go to the trouble of
pretending to be a UART of exactly the type we'd expect to see.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2000 18:31:09 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hardware RAID Options?

Dances With Crows wrote:

> The folks at my place of employment are looking to build a Linux box
> with a reasonably large (~290G) SCSI RAID-5, and would like to have a
> hardware RAID controller.  I did some grubbing around on Deja, but
> didn't find as much as I'd thought.
>
> The box we're looking at is a Dell PowerEdge, where one of the options
> is a PERC2-Si controller (aka "AMI MegaRAID") that I'm sure is
> supported.  One Deja post from about 10 months ago said the performance
> on that particular card wasn't so hot--still true?  And does anyone have
> any information on the PERC2-DC or PERC2-QC controllers that are also
> available?  Those came up empty on Deja.  I should know more about this
> stuff, but due to financial constraints, most of my Linux experience has
> been on lower-end hardware.
>
> FWIW, this machine's main purpose in life will be as an FTP server, and
> it'll eventually handle 12G or so of data per day.  It will also handle
> a bit of Apache stuff, some automatic processing of uploaded text files
> via Perl, and Quake3^H^H^H^H^H^Hpossibly other mission-critical
> applications as needed.  Spec follows:
>
> Dual PIII 866MHz

Hope it isn't i840 chipset. You'll need to run kernel option noapic if
it is, or suffer crashes. Running it with the IO-APIC disabled means
hardware interrupts are handled by only one cpu, and responsiveness
under load will degrade. I've recently seen reports that the ServerWorks
chipsets are reliable; BX is also reliable. Avoid i840 like a disease.

> Dual 330W powersupply
> 512M ECC SDRAM
> 5 73G SCSI drives for 292G in RAID-5

If you haven't purchased the drives already, consider Ultra 160. Even a
single high-performance drive will do things most regular drives can't
do on software RAID. I can't guarantee it, but I believe several of the
Ultra 160 RAID cards now run on linux. The drives themselves are not
particularly expensive relative to older scsi products; you can look for
some approximations on prices for drives and controllers at
http://www.necxdirect.com/hai/serve_page.html?file=docroot/drives.html&nonce=guest
(this isn't a plug for necx, but I find the prices representative of
other "reasonable" resellers).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Markus Wandel)
Subject: Re: need an ISA network card that works!
Date: 5 Dec 2000 02:30:58 GMT

In article <90909n$ona$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In my exploring I have heard alot of talk about the woes of using ISA
>with linux (especially PnP?). Does anyone recommend any certain kind of
>ISA network card? non PnP or does that matter? any make and model? any
>hints? or am I just in for a good time regardless of what I get?

I used to recommend NE2000 cards as you can get them for $5 at pretty
much any computer swap meet / junk store etc.  However I've had a few too
many problems with them losing their settings and doing other flakey stuff
lately, so my current favourite old ISA network card is the 3COM Etherlink III
aka 3C509.  When you can find it it is generally just as cheap and like the
NE2000, you can configure its EEPROM settings (IRQ, I/O address) with a
Linux utility, available here:

   http://www.scyld.com/diag

In addition, you can download support software from 3COM's site so if you
have DOS handy, you can make a bootable floppy and use their nice GUI setup
utility.  Best of both worlds.

The only catch, compared to PCI network cards, is you have to manually
assign I/O addresses and IRQ numbers.  My biggest problem is that I always
forget to

   cat /proc/interrupts
   cat /proc/ioports

while teh machine is still up, then I'm staring at the disassembled parts
and thing, dang, I can't remember what interrupts are free!

Enjoy.

Markus

------------------------------

From: Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 03:41:12 GMT

I've got a old SMC Ultra ISA card. I like it because it has jumpers
for IRQ and such.

I think it's that way, the machine has been up for 2 years and
my brain needs to be booted more than it does.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi

> I was trying to set up a small network (+ IP Masquerade) at home. I
> didn't want to experiment with a new OS on my "good" computer(if you
> can call a
> computer with a windows OS good :) ) so I found took an old compaq (of
> all things) and set up Mandrake7.1 on it.

> Anyway here is my problem. I have @home service and managed to get it
> running fine (thanks to your guys help :) ) but now I guess I need a
> second network card in order to set up the masquerade. Am I right.
> Cable to eth0 on linux box and then eth1 on linux box to my other
> computer? Well this compaq is so old it only has two PCI slots. both
> used (video and current network card). Where do I put my other card.
> (ISA?)

> In my exploring I have heard alot of talk about the woes of using ISA
> with linux (especially PnP?). Does anyone recommend any certain kind of
> ISA network card? non PnP or does that matter? any make and model? any
> hints? or am I just in for a good time regardless of what I get?

> Thank You for your help. You guys are a god send.

> Take Care,

> Adam

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

- Bob Surenko                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
- http://www.fred.net/surenko/

From: "Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Bad chip signature
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 11:54:43 +0800

I'm going to install a PCMCIA network card in my linux system. Message of
eth0: smc91c??? rev 13: io 0x100, irq 10, hw_addr FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
smc91c92_cs : Yikes! Bad chip signature!

What's wrong? How to fix?  Would you help , thanks!

From: "Jack Kaufmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DSL is up, but my browsers don't recognize it
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 04:07:54 GMT

I have installed a Westell external modem to my DSL line, and all the right
lights are on, and I have installed and configured Roaring Penguin 2.3 (on
Red Hat 7.0), and when I enter adsl-start, adsl-status tells me I have a
connection, but when I try Lynx or Netscape both say they don't recognize
any servers and generally show no sign of knowing there is a connection.
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?