Linux-Hardware Digest #1, Volume #14              Fri, 8 Dec 00 05:13:07 EST

Contents:
  Overlapping IRQs (Christopher Wong)
  Re: Athlon and ASUS a7v (Drew cutter)
  Re: Unix/Linux/BSD server question... (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Hardware RAID Options? (Dances With Crows)
  Unable to read CD after "eject" ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Unable to read CD after "eject" (Tony Curtis)
  Re: hey intel warns! I'd better hold off on buying a PC! ("Brian Walton")
  Re: A great Shockwave flash movie (Daryl Fonseca-Holt)
  Re: USB Scanner in Linux? (Daryl Fonseca-Holt)
  Re: Is an AHA-152X Bootable? (Markus Kossmann)
  large file problem on burned cd (Brian Harvey)
  Re: ECC RAM supported by Linux? (Rico Tudor)
  Re: ALSA or OSS and Aureal products (J Wendel)
  Re: Alternatives to Wavelan? Re: IEEE WaveLAN (Michael Meissner)
  Need hardward recommendations (Thomas Hedden)
  Re: Hewlett Packert Cxi990 (James Richard Tyrer)
  Re: What's the best mobo for building a Linux system? (hac)
  Re: BT848 on Mandrake 7.2 (Kenneth Rørvik)
  Linux RH6.0 Not detecting Keyboard and Mouse
  Re: I815 can not work under kernel 2.2.16 and XFree86 4.0.1 (Max Lungarella)
  Re: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=B6=B6=B6=B6=B6=B6?= PLEASE READ  (CBFalconer)
  Re: ECC RAM supported by Linux? (Harri Haataja)
  Re: Unix/Linux/BSD server question... (Michelle K)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Wong)
Subject: Overlapping IRQs
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 02:30:06 GMT

I am concerned that my system (BC133KT Duron 700 with Red Hat 7) may not
be to healthy in its current configuration. This is the content of
/proc/interrupts:

           CPU0
  0:    7693018          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       3462          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
 10:      19013          XT-PIC  VIA 82C686A, eth0
 11:          1          XT-PIC  usb-uhci, usb-uhci, eth1
 12:     122578          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
 14:     425589          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:     139988          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0

It looks like my two ethernet (Netgear PCI) cards are sharing interrupts
with the sound and USB hardware respectively. I would expect PCI
hardware to auto-configure themselves correctly. Should I be concerned
that interrupts are being shared here? Thanks.

Chris

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 21:28:05 -0500
From: Drew cutter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Athlon and ASUS a7v

Thanks . I bought my own raid card. I got the athlon 700.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Unix/Linux/BSD server question...
Date: 8 Dec 2000 02:38:46 GMT

[NGs trimmed]
On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 01:40:27 GMT, C.W.R. staggered into the Black Sun
and said:

Don't crosspost to so many bloody newsgroups!  It's annoying.

>I want to build or purchase (will probably end up building) a system for
>around $350 or less for use as a dedicated test machine and server on my
>home network. I wish to create a machine with a Pentium I 200 MHz or better.
>I am also thinking of bending my budget and going for a Pentium II or maybe
>even an AMD Duron. My main question is:
>
>What type of processor and motherboard would you recommend that I use to get
>the best bang for my buck? And are there any online retailers that still
>sell parts this old. Remember, this is only going to be used so I can learn
>about Unix/Linux/BSD, so I don't need anything better than the lowest end
>Duron, and I don't even need that. Thanks for your help everybody!

For $350 or so, you won't get much at all--certainly not a Duron system!
If you already have monitor/keyboard/mouse/hard drive available, you can
cut the price a bit, but you will have a hard time getting anything
really really cheap.  You can put together a K6-2 system for fairly
cheap.  Figure $80 for a Super7 board, $50 for a K6-2 333, $50 for a
case, $50 for a cheap vidcard, $80 for a hard drive, scrounge up a
keyboard, floppy, and CD-ROM from somewhere, and have your own monitor
ready.  Or check http://www.pricewatch.com/ in the "Not Exactly New"
section; you can get a Celeron 366 system for a bit under $350 there,
but beware, the components in prebuilt "consumer PCs" are often utter
crap.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Hardware RAID Options?
Date: 8 Dec 2000 02:38:47 GMT

On 5 Dec 2000 01:10:34 GMT, Dances With Crows staggered into
the Black Sun and said:
[Hardware RAID?  The i840 chipset is not optimal, check the ICP Vortex
out, the 3ware escalade is good if you want IDE RAID[01], etcetera]

Thanks to everyone who responded; y'all gave me a lot useful information
to think about.  However, I learned this morning that the box will be a
replacement for the MS-SQL box as well as running the FTP/HTTP
servers--meaning it'll be running Lose2K.  (Postgres + ODBC apparently
is not an option, though everything we have connected to the MS-SQL
thing uses ODBC AFAICT.)  *grump*  Preparing the "I told you so"
statements already....

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Unable to read CD after "eject"
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 02:26:16 GMT

Hi

I was unable to eject my DVD-Drive manually so I used the "eject"

#eject cdrom

command. After putting another CD in, I was then unable to "ls" files
inside the CD. Has this anything to do with the "eject" command?
However, everything is ok after a reboot. What's wrong here?

Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Tony Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unable to read CD after "eject"
Date: 07 Dec 2000 21:14:42 -0600

>> On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 02:26:16 GMT,
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

> Hi I was unable to eject my DVD-Drive manually so I used
> the "eject"

> #eject cdrom

> command. After putting another CD in, I was then unable
> to "ls" files inside the CD. Has this anything to do
> with the "eject" command?  However, everything is ok
> after a reboot. What's wrong here?

There's presuambly an entry for the cdrom in /etc/fstab.

This will get processed at bootup, but not otherwise (at
least not automatically).

So...either mount the cdrom manually,

        # mount /cdrom   (see /etc/fstab for exact location)

or find a volume manager daemon which would then mount it
for you when it is inserted, e.g. http://freshmeat.net/

hth
Eih bennek, eih blavek.

------------------------------

From: "Brian Walton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hey intel warns! I'd better hold off on buying a PC!
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 22:30:20 -0500

Everything will be "discounted" in the future, that is always the case. No
matter when you buy you will find it cheaper in a few weeks/months.

Brian

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daryl Fonseca-Holt)
Subject: Re: A great Shockwave flash movie
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 21:25:31 -0600

You should check out the one I just downloaded, it's even better :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daryl Fonseca-Holt)
Subject: Re: USB Scanner in Linux?
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 21:29:56 -0600

My Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 4100C works. It is my first scanner so I can't
really compare it to any other. I use it with sane.

------------------------------

From: Markus Kossmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is an AHA-152X Bootable?
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 05:01:10 +0100

Wayne Watson wrote:

> Yes, that's the question. Is that adaptek SCSI device bootable. I am unable to boot
>at start up from
> the RH 6.2 CD-ROM regardless of how I set the device choices. I can boot up on
>another machine with
> an IDE drive.
AFAIK the 1520 BIOS supports only booting from harddisk, but not from
CDROM ( like all real old BIOSses)

--
Markus Kossmann

Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 22:45:40 -0500
From: Brian Harvey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Subject: large file problem on burned cd

Hi everyone,

I recently wanted to "clone" a Linux installation to another machine.
Typically, I've just plugged the new machine's drive into the original
one and tarred it all over, but this time I wanted to put the original
onto a cd for ease of cloning many machines.

I tarred the original to file and copied to my winnt box and burned it
onto a cd. Here's where the problem comes into the picture. I kept
getting isofs_read_level3_size errors on the new Linux box, so I brought
the cd back to the NT box and it was fine. Winzip opened the tarball -
no problem. Hmmm......

So I went back to the original Linux box and split the tarball into 1Meg
pieces (350 of them), copied these to the NT box and burned another cd.

Back to the new Linux box, I concatenated the split files together and
it untarred just fine. So, there must be a problem with Linux reading
very large files from a burned cd.

If anyone can shed light on this issue, I'd be curious to know what's
up. Has anyone out there seen this isofs_read_level3_size
diagnostic error message?

Thanks,

-B

--
Brian Harvey
Abacus Travel, Inc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rico Tudor)
Subject: Re: ECC RAM supported by Linux?
Date: 8 Dec 2000 03:22:00 GMT

My utility to monitor ECC errors can be found at

        http://patrec.com/rico/ecc/

Enjoy!

======== my e=mail domain: math.nwu.edu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J Wendel)
Subject: Re: ALSA or OSS and Aureal products
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:06:41 GMT

I suggest that you contact CREATIVE, since they bought the remains of
Aureal, and they have been OK about supplying Linux drivers for their
products.

Also, check Sourceforge for the latest Aureal driver, maybe it will
work for you.

Regards,

John

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Alternatives to Wavelan? Re: IEEE WaveLAN
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 07 Dec 2000 23:14:43 -0500

Peter Bloomfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > Also, to connect 2 wireless PC (one Linux desktop, one Windows laptop),
> > will I need an "access point"?
>
> No, they can talk to each other, at least in Ad-hoc mode.  They should
> also be able to encrypt the communications, but I haven't been able to
> explore that.  You may have other reasons to invest in an access point,
> but it's not necessary just to connect them.

At least when I configured mine (probably October, maybe November), you had to
get the binary driver from the Orinoco site to be able to use encryption (there
is a source blob that encompases the binary stuff so you can recompile it for
different kernels.

> > Will it be easy for the Linux to offer IP-masquerading (share the adsl
> > connection) through the wireless card?
>
> Yes.  I'm doing that, with iBooks as wireless clients being MASQed
> through a Linux box (with the wireless card in an ISA bridge) to DSL--it
> should be easier for Linux boxen!

Or SMC is now offering a wireless router/print server/ethernet hub/firewall
combination box for $339.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 16:28:56 -0500
From: Thomas Hedden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need hardward recommendations

I am about to purchase components to build
a new system. I think I have selected what
I want, but I am curious whether anyone has
had any problems with the components I want
to put together, or any recommendations for
better / more suitable / better value
components:

MoBo    Asus P2BDS
CPU     dual Intel PIII 550
Sound   Creative SoundBlaster Live Value
Video   ATI All in Wonder Pro 128 16 MB AGP

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Tom

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hewlett Packert Cxi990
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:51:53 GMT

marcus rudolph wrote:

> Does this fairly new Printer work under Linux?

 http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=186729

There is a 970 driver for GhostScript, but it only supports 600 DPI

JRT

------------------------------

From: hac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Subject: Re: What's the best mobo for building a Linux system?
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 05:18:27 GMT

Neal Lippman wrote:

> My question: What's the best mobo to use for building a new Linux system? I
> am planning an Athlon 900 Mhz Socket A, so obviously my question relates to
> mb's that support that chip. I plan to use Mandrake 7.2 as my distro (see
> below) and an IBM Deskstar 75GXP HD.
> I've been bouncing back and forth between the ABIT KT7-RAID, ASUS A7V, and
> Microstar KT7-Pro2A. As you can see from my choices, I'm looking to run the
> HD at ATA100. Although all three boards are also good to OC, I'm probably
> not going to do that, at least at first.
>
> I've heard than Mandrake 7.2 supports the Promise ATA-100 controller out of
> the box, which makes the Asus board attractive, but I've also read about a
> ton of bios related problems with that board (of course, I am sure just as
> many people hae trouble with the others too).
>
> Any thoughts...success stores...warnings?

I don't have any experience with any of the listed boards, because I'm
also still looking...

But, my experience with an old Pentium motherboard from ASUS
(P/I-P55T2P4) and my current Abit BX6r2 tilt me towards ASUS.  They've
been good about providing BIOS updates, to the point where they've
released a beta BIOS that recognizes a K6-2/400 in an old Socket 7
board.  Not Super 7, the original Pentium Socket 7.  This is long
after this board went out of production, yet they've still made the
effort to let me get the most out of this board.  This is an
enhancement, not a bug fix.

Looking through the Abit FTP server, it looks like only serious bugs
are ever addressed after production stops.  Plus, they lose points for
designing a web site that requires JavaScript to enter.  Boo, hiss.
The motherboard's been stable, though.

I have more faith in ASUS fixing the BIOS problems than most of their
competition.

--
Howard Christeller  Irvine, CA   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Subject: Re: BT848 on Mandrake 7.2
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 07:12:23 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (CybEriC) wrote in <90oa05$17an$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I had the same problem under Windows with a Miro PCTV and  my ASUS
>ultraDMA/66 controller, the only way to prevent my computer to freeze was
>to disable the DMA. (under Windows)

Interestingly enough, I have to disable DMA under windos anyway, as DMA
disc access freezes the computer regardless of whether or not the TV card
is installed. And the TV card freezes the computer regardless of DMA....

Under Linux, at least DMA is functioning properly... Anyway, I suspect the
problem is hardware (or setup thereof) related, and independent of OS, as I
have seen the same symptoms under both OSes.

--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22950312
Nordbergv. 60 A         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux RH6.0 Not detecting Keyboard and Mouse
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 07:37:11 GMT

Hi All,

I have installed RH6.0 with dual boot with Win98. It's working fine on the
command prompt. But when I use startx to go into Graphical Interface, it is
not able to detect keyboard and mouse. Please recommend..The monitor
settings and resolution are fine. Its taking me in Gnome Window Manager but
I am not able to interact with the computer.
I have MS Natural Keyboard
           and a serial mouse

Thanks
Ashish

------------------------------

From: Max Lungarella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: I815 can not work under kernel 2.2.16 and XFree86 4.0.1
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 09:12:42 +0100

hi

> I install linux on I815 system. The kernel is 2.2.16 which include the

which distro are you using? rh7.0? graphicscard? i've successfully
installed xfree4.0.1 on more than one i815-based machine. everything
went fine.

> module agpgart.o. The XFree86 is 4.0.1 which support the I810 chipset. There
> is an error "device is busy" when I do "modprobe agpgart" and the module is
> not loaded. I use the agpgart.o from the intel support web and it work. Then
> I run startx after config the XF86Config and it fail. The XFCom_i810 Xserver
> is work under XFree86 3.3.6 and can not work with the XF86Config file in
> 4.0.1 format.

that's right. xfree4.0.x are module-based, there's just one x-server.
the configuration files are different too.

max

------------------------------

From: CBFalconer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=B6=B6=B6=B6=B6=B6?= PLEASE READ
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 09:42:37 GMT

"((((Arteeria))))" wrote:

>   ------------------------------------------------------------------
>                   Type: Hypertext Markup Language (Text/HTML)
>    Part 1.2   Encoding: Quoted-Printable

Not a chance.  Don't post html on newsgroups.  At least here, and
I hope with any reasonably safety conscious reader, they just get
discarded.

--
     Chuck Falconer ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
     http://www.qwikpages.com/backstreets/cbfalconer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harri Haataja)
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 09:53:01 GMT

jens wrote:
>On 07 Dec 2000 18:43:21 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>>Carlos wrote:
>>>While this is strictly speaking correct, it would be interesting to have
>>>the memory controller report errors (corrected or detected but not
>>>corrected) to the OS.  This could signal a faulty memory chip, or at the
>>>least warn the administrator or user that the system is becoming
>>>unreliable...   Why isn't there support to read these errors?
>>
>>I have seen such reporting on Sun and SGI machines.
>>I got a parity error on both types of machine.
>>
>>So, to those who say memory errors never happen... you better look out.
>
>Ok, I got a related question .... how come that the additional ram
>chip (going from 8 to 9 in the average module) pretty well doubles the
>price tag (this is a wild guess but I certainly remember having to
>pick up my lower jaw off the floor when I was asking my dealer for ram
>prices on ECC nodules)

Matter of supply and demand, I'd say. Market rules.
Rare people want ECC RAM and they usually have more special demands
so they will be able to pay for them. That's the idea. Has always
been. SCSI has come down but is still expensive. ECC is just not
consumer-ware.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michelle K)
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 10:05:56 GMT

you can do it... the trick is to hurry slowly.
I came across Acorp K7TA mobo for $80, Duron 600 for $50 and a stick of 128
MB RAM for $62. Shop where I bough these also ran a "special" on any HDD
from "pull" lot (which is what they pull out of neever used but
discontinued boxes) for $50, but I passed on that one since the 20 GB HDD
was that LCT series. Low Cost something :) Seek time was 12 ms, but for a
play and test system could be OK.

Local issue of Cheapbytes came handy. it's, probably, impossible to squeeze
the whole new system into the budget, but you could wash cars and water
frozen lawns for Windows users for a while ;-)

Good luck!