Linux-Hardware Digest #10, Volume #14            Sun, 10 Dec 00 18:13:05 EST

Contents:
  GeForce 2 MX (Creative) problem with linux. ("Maverick")
  BTTV and sound support ("Eric Wyles")
  Re: Proliant 1000 SCSI ? ("Yes")
  Re: getting the mouse wheel to work ("Larry Mckenzie")
  Re: getting the mouse wheel to work ("Larry Mckenzie")
  Re: getting the mouse wheel to work ("Brian Likosar")
  Re: Activating the Multimedia keys - DONE! (Istvan Zsolt Kovacs)
  Re: USB Pc Camera ("bdl")
  Re: configure your modem under linux ("bdl")
  Attn. Dances With Crowes.. ("R.W.de Wijs")
  Re: 2 nic's sharing the same irq ("R.W.de Wijs")
  Re: Proliant 1000 SCSI ? ("Alk")
  Re: 2 nic's sharing the same irq ("R.W.de Wijs")
  Re: Serial Keyboard on Linux ("John D. Peedle")
  Asus A7Pro or Abit KT7? ("Charles")
  Re: 2 nic's sharing the same irq ("Alk")
  Stampante Hp 815 c driver per Red Hat ("Mauro")
  Re: What's the best mobo for building a Linux system? ("jazardous")
  Re: Serial Keyboard on Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: harddrive upgrade ("Bolton Pastrami")
  NIC identification (Eggert Ehmke)
  Re: GeForce 2 MX (Creative) problem with linux. (Stefan Stommels)

From: "Maverick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: GeForce 2 MX (Creative) problem with linux.
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 17:14:23 -0000

I have Intel Pentium III 667Mhz, 128MB RAM 133Mhz, ASUS CUV4X Board (VIA
Chipset), and i have RedHat Linux 7.0 installed and use a Creative Labs
GeForce2 MX DDR.
With the drivers that came with RedHat my GeForce2 don't work, then i
installed
the Nvidia-0.9.5 drivers, and the system says that i can't install the AGP
module because it can't find a supportable VIA chipset, then i use the
option UNSUPORTED_CHIPSET=1 when i install the AGP module, it installs the
AGP module and the GeForce module.
But when i start X-Windows the systen crashes, black screen forever and
system hang.

Bye.

------------------------------

From: "Eric Wyles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: BTTV and sound support
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 11:24:47 -0600

Hi,

I have a TV/Radio card that I am trying to get running under Linux. I'm not
sure of the exact brand of the card, but I am able to get the Video from the
TV working properly, but I cannot hear sound.

I read somewhere that I should look on my card for any chips labeled TDA...
or TEA... and make sure all of the modules for those are loaded and then my
sound should work.

I have found 3 chips on my card that fit that description:
1) TDA 1593T
2) TEA 5582
3) TEA 6320

The only one I have found a module for is the TEA 6320 and I believe that
was a fader of some sort. Does anyone know if there are kernel modules for
those other two chips? I feel like if I could get those supported, I would
have sound.

BTW, I'm running RedHat 6.2 with a 2.2.17 kernel.

Thanks,
Eric

------------------------------

From: "Yes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: Proliant 1000 SCSI ?
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 17:50:05 GMT

> This is PCI board, you don't need to give it IRQs and all the stuff.
> Compaq's usually have a SmartStart CD which sets different settings for
> different OS
>
> AG

No, in this case it's not a seperate board!
It's embedded on the mother-board.

Thanks
Jack

------------------------------

From: "Larry Mckenzie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.redhat,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: getting the mouse wheel to work
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 18:09:52 GMT

Ok i have a wheel mouse also came with my hp pavillion i have installed
linux red hat 6.1 and im not sure about alot of things at the current time
but can i get the wheel mouse to work with linux. I would like to use the
scroll function to move text in long help files. Im spending alot of time
searching help files on my new linux system.

Lost in linux and kinda like it
Larry Mckenzie

Anthony W. Youngman wrote in message ...
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tim Willets
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>>On Fri, 03 Nov 2000 11:31:48 GMT, Simon Brooke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>>>OK, this is where I confess. I've sold out. I've bought a Microsoft
>>>product and, worse, I _like_ it.
>>
>>Microsoft mice and keyboards are very good IMHO (albeit expensive).
>
>I prefer Logitech (trackball and ergonomic keyboard here...)
>>
>>Unlike most MS software (which is also expensive).
>>
>Which is why I use Perfect Office :-)
>--
>Anthony W. Youngman - wol at thewolery dot demon dot co dot uk
>Witches are curious by definition and inquisitive by nature. She moved in.
"Let

------------------------------

From: "Larry Mckenzie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.redhat,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 17:59:44 GMT

From: "Brian Likosar" <"Bee Jay hyphen"[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 12:28:19 -0600

This site used to be one of the best resources for this exact problem, but
now it seems a little out of date.  Hopefully it will help you.

http://www-sop.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/

Brian

"Larry Mckenzie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9FPY5.4330$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ok i have a wheel mouse also came with my hp pavillion i have installed
> linux red hat 6.1 and im not sure about alot of things at the current time
> but can i get the wheel mouse to work with linux. I would like to use the
> scroll function to move text in long help files. Im spending alot of time
> searching help files on my new linux system.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.misc
From: Istvan Zsolt Kovacs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Activating the Multimedia keys - DONE!
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 18:39:43 GMT

Hi!

> > These keys DO NOT generate any scancodes (checked with showkeys and xev)!
> They DO GENERATE scancodes. (at least for my Logitech Cordless)
> You didn't use showkey -s, right ?

By default on my Chicony KB8993 they did not generate any scancodes!

I found the way to activate these keys as explained at:
http://www.win.tue.nl/math/dw/personalpages/aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes-2.html

For anybody else interested in using these kind of keyboards:

1) a kernel patch and a daemon can be found at:
http://www.packetrot.com

2) in XFree86 4.0.1 one has to add the "inet(microsoftpro)" (or a
similar custom made symbol table) in the "Symbols" option for the keyboard
section. in RH6.0 the 'inet' symbol definition file is located in
/usr/lib/X11/xkb/symbols.

Istvan

------------------------------

From: "bdl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: USB Pc Camera
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 18:57:42 GMT

This should get you on your way:

An overview on USB devices: http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/

The Linux Kernel USB Backport (running USB on 2.2.x kernels):
http://www.suse.cz/development/usb-backport/

Getting USB devices to work under Linux:
http://linuxkb.cheek.com/pages/usb-howto/c122.html

Video for Linux Resources: http://www.exploits.org/v4l/

Linux USB Project: http://www.linux-usb.org

Two good places to search for USB: http://sourceforge.net/ ,
http://www.freshmeat.net

Now please keep in mind that not all USB or even conventional devices will
run under Linux, sometimes you just have to use whats there....

Luck...

bdl
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "bdl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: configure your modem under linux
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 19:07:30 GMT

More than likely this is caused by your DNS configuration; check your
/etc/resolv.conf file and make sure that your ISP's DNS servers are there.
Otherwise, you may run your own DNS server - check out
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO.html for advice on doing this.

On the other hand, it may not even be your DNS config, so check the
following:

Can you ping addresses only? i.e. yahoo.com @ 216.115.108.245

Can you ping your own NIC and internal IP's?

Type 'route' and make sure you have a default route to the internet.

Luck...

bdl
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "R.W.de Wijs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Attn. Dances With Crowes..
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 19:56:58 GMT

I posted a follow up on my question on the 2 nic's sharing the same irq,
would appreciate your comment.
Pls. look at original thread.

Ron de Wijs

------------------------------

From: "R.W.de Wijs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2 nic's sharing the same irq
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 20:01:13 GMT

> There are a number of things that could be going wrong here.  Please
> post the exact makes and models of the NICs you are using, the distro
> and kernel version you're using, and the output of the "ifconfig",
> "lsmod", and "route -n" commands.  Without that info, troubleshooters
> would likely be shooting in the dark.

Here is the data that you suggested to post:

PNP OS is turned off in the BIOS.

The nic's are:
Compex RL2000 PCI Ethernet adapter
Realtek RTL8029 Ethernet adapter

ifconfig:

eth0  Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr:00:80:48:C5:4E:C8
      inet addr: 192.168.1.10 Bcast: 192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
      UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU: 1500 Metric: 1
      RX packets:0 Errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
      TX packets:0 Errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
      Interrupt:9 Base address:0xd000

eth1  Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr:00:00:B4:5C:46:4D
      inet addr:195.138.201.214 Bcast:192.138.207.255 Mask:255.255.240.0
      RX packets:0 Errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
      TX packets:0 Errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
      Interrupt:9 Base address:0xb800

lo    Link encap:Local Loopback
      inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
      UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:3924 Metric:1
      RX packets:14 Errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
      TX packets:14 Errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
      Interrupt:9 Base address:0xb800

lsmod:

Module  Size Used by

lockd  31176 1 (autoclean)
sunrpc  52964 1 (autoclean)[lockd]
ne2k-pci 4652 2 (autoclean)
8390  6072 0 (autoclean)[ne2k-pci]
agpgart  18600 0 (unused)
emu10k1  42952 0
soundcore 2596 4 [emu10k1]

route -n:

Kernel IP routing table

Destination      Gateway                   Genmask          Flags  Metric
Ref  Use Iface

192.168.1.10    0.0.0.0                  255.255.255.0      U         0
0     0    eth0
195.138.192.0  0.0.0.0                  255.255.240.0      U         0
0     0    eth1
127.0.0.0          0.0.0.0                  255.0.0.0              U
0         0     0     lo
0.0.0.0             195.138.192.1       0.0.0.0                  U         0
0     0     eth1

------------------------------

From: "Alk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 22:14:19 +0200

There is no difference, but you just cant get rid of this controller, or put
in other place
Run compaq System Configuration Utility ( Better off the newer SmartStart
disc)
and set it up so it says it runs "Linux" or "Other", not WindozeNT or SCO or
whatever else

AG

news:hnPY5.81410$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "R.W.de Wijs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 20:18:47 GMT

Forgot to metion:

I'm using RH 7.0 ( kernel 2.78 if I'm correct..)

Ron

------------------------------

From: "John D. Peedle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Serial Keyboard on Linux
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 20:42:39 -0000

"Jali" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:90um25$ces$06$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <90ei9k$art$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "John D. Peedle"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure that this is going to be a total no go. The protocol is
> > not the same, the mouse connects through the keyboard and (I think) the
> > plug won't fit anyway.
>
> It's well documented. It should be possible to built an adaptor.
>

> > I have to ask the question 'why?'
> You never worked on a Sun, did you?
>

> Greetings,
> Jali

Absolutely I do. I have an Ultra 5 next to me with Solaris 8 and a couple at
work with Linux. I think the keyboard is AWFUL! Like typing on a dead fish.
Give me a _proper_ IBM keyboard anytime.

--
John D. Peedle
RHCE - so I'm Biased!

------------------------------

From: "Charles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Asus A7Pro or Abit KT7?
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 20:46:54 GMT

Hi,

I'm building a Duron linux/BSD box, and I cannot decide which motherboard to
use. Has anyone had any troubles or good experiances with either the Asus
A7Pro or Abit KT7? These are the two boards I have narrowed it down to. Are
either of these boards incompatible with linux/BSD? Thanks.

Charles

------------------------------

From: "Alk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 22:46:28 +0200

It is not always a good idea to share PCI interrupt, because of different
drivers using it ( eg 3com and intel never worked on same IRQ on w9x) one of
whom shall pass signal to another if it is not from its device, so try  (a)
moving cards around PCI slots, to get them working on different IRQs, or (b)
check if they work one at a time (ie aint broken) (c) try fixing both
drivers in kernel, not loading modules (d) try kernel 2.2.17

AG
> Does Samba have to be installed to be able to ping ?
No
> The funny thing is that the 2 nic's also have the same irq ( 10 ) in W98
and
> they both do their job without any problem...
*it happens sometimes, but more often it fails
> I also cannot ping to the internal IP address of the nic's
Check if kernel support networking basics - ping 127.0.0.1

------------------------------

From: "Mauro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Stampante Hp 815 c driver per Red Hat
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 21:03:08 GMT

Qualcuno sa come farla funzionare?

------------------------------

From: "jazardous" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What's the best mobo for building a Linux system?
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 22:05:51 GMT

Hi
I'm running RH7 on an a7v with a duron heavily oc solid
rock stable. Some people seems having problem booting
from ata100, but last 1005A bios(aparently) resolved most
problems. Recomend putting a 2.4 kernel.

Good Luck

A "Neal Lippman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> se le ocurrio decir en el

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 10 Dec 2000 17:04:14 -0500

"John D. Peedle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Give me a _proper_ IBM keyboard anytime.

You mean the kind that clicks loudly enough to wake people two
counties over?  I have one of those.  I like the positive feeling I
get from hitting keys, but I get about 15 words/min faster on a mushy,
hateful keyboard.

The clickety-click keyboards are also getting real hard to find.  IBM
doesn't seem to make them any more (that I've seen).

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

In one gloss of the cut interstellarly I must immovable protect the
universe.

------------------------------

From: "Bolton Pastrami" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: harddrive upgrade
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 22:15:15 GMT

I had the same problem with fdisk. Try using Adaptec's version of fdisk
called 'afdisk'. It's part of the dosdrvr.exe package that you can download
for free at:

ftp://ftp.adaptec.digisle.net/scsi/dos/dosdrvr.exe

Good luck. It worked for me.

-Bolton

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Eggert Ehmke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NIC identification
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 23:39:06 +0100

>From an old machine, I got a NIC that I cannot identify. It has these
labels:

613018452 EN1660 144660-090
PCBA P/N 14660-090 REV.R01
P/N 142650-406 REV:03
RU file no E141136
Made in Taiwan

It has a BNC Coax connector, a RJ45 and a 15-pin female connector. Can
someone tell me the name of this NIC, and if it is supported by Linux
? Thank you.

--
Eggert Ehmke
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Stefan Stommels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GeForce 2 MX (Creative) problem with linux.
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 22:40:35 GMT

I know, XFree 4.0.1a doesn't support GeForce2 MX. So you need a newer
XFree. Get it from www.xfree86.org/cvs
If you can get it working, at least you'll have 2D support in full
glory, but I haven't gotten the 3D working yet...

In article <910dnr$dnn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Maverick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have Intel Pentium III 667Mhz, 128MB RAM 133Mhz, ASUS CUV4X Board
(VIA
> Chipset), and i have RedHat Linux 7.0 installed and use a Creative
Labs
> GeForce2 MX DDR.
> With the drivers that came with RedHat my GeForce2 don't work, then i
> installed
> the Nvidia-0.9.5 drivers, and the system says that i can't install
the AGP
> module because it can't find a supportable VIA chipset, then i use the
> option UNSUPORTED_CHIPSET=1 when i install the AGP module, it
installs the
> AGP module and the GeForce module.
> But when i start X-Windows the systen crashes, black screen forever
and
> system hang.
>
> Bye.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/