Linux-Hardware Digest #42, Volume #14            Sat, 16 Dec 00 18:13:08 EST

Contents:
  PCMCIA EthnetCard not recognised ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: SIMM's types and IDE for DMA ("Guennadi V. Liakhovetski")
  Re: dial up modem on demand? (Henry B. Tindall, Jr.)
  Re: Kernel panic with Mandrake 7.2 (x86_serial_nr=1 doesn't seem to work) (Don Hinds)
  HELP with USB iomega 100 drive
  Re: SIMM's types and IDE for DMA (Gareth Randall)
  Re: DVD playing in Linux (Mark Patton)
  new configuration ("Cédric CHEN")
  Re: PCMCIA EthnetCard not recognised (Andreas Mohr)
  ASUS A7V ATA 100 problems (Michael Wilms)
  harware install solution that works ("Default User")
  Sound Card Problem ("Joshua Beard")
  X window font server crash: help ("Gilles Lamoureux")
  Re: X window font server crash: help ("Dan White")
  Re: ASUS A7V ATA 100 problems ("Dan White")
  Re: harware install solution that works (Joshua Beard)
  Re: how diagnose hardware - Hard lockup then crc error ("Dan White")
  Re: Hard disk partition problem ("Dan White")
  Re: How can I change the booting order? ("Dan White")
  weird keyboard/mouse problem (Brad Friedman)
  Re: ASUS A7V ATA 100 problems (Harald van Pee)
  Sound Blaster not working ("Chris")
  Re: Crystal audio (AC_97.o) on SMP, linux02.2.16 ("Robert L. Klungle")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: PCMCIA EthnetCard not recognised
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 17:03:47 GMT

I have a new PCMCIA ethernet which is a replacement for another card.
The first did not work on my machine or any of the three colleages's
machine's I tried.

The new one does work on a colleage's Acer with Win98 installed.  It
does not however get recognised by my 486 Sharp running Slackware linux
(kernal 2.2.17).  I have tried other PCMCIA NICs in my computer, all of
which are instantly recognised and function fine.

Upon inserting the RE450, I get the high tone indicating recognition of
insertion of a card, but then a low tone indicating an unrecognised
card.

The output from "cardctl ident" is:
Socket 0:
  product info: "Ethernet", "Adapter", "2.0"
  manfid: 0x0149, 0xc1ab
  function: 6 (network)
Socket 1:
  no product info available

The output from "lsmod" is:
Module                  Size  Used by
pcnet_cs               10512   0  (unused)
8390                    6272   0  [pcnet_cs]
ds                      6256   2  [pcnet_cs]
tcic                    6688   2
pcmcia_core            43296   0  [pcnet_cs ds tcic]
lp                      5920   0  (unused)
parport_pc              7424   0  (unused)

Again, other cards are recognised and functions (as does a flipdisk in
the PCMCIA slot).

Any help or suggestions for further diagnostics appreciated.

Yours,
Tim

PS -
The output of "cardctl ident" when I switch in a functing card is:
Socket 0:
  product info: "PCMCIA LAN", "Ethernet", "A", "004743118001"
  function: 6 (network)
Socket 1:
  no product info available

and for "lsmod":
Module                  Size  Used by
pcnet_cs               10512   1
8390                    6272   0  [pcnet_cs]
ds                      6256   2  [pcnet_cs]
tcic                    6688   2
pcmcia_core            43296   0  [pcnet_cs ds tcic]
lp                      5920   0  (unused)
parport_pc              7424   0  (unused)

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Guennadi V. Liakhovetski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SIMM's types and IDE for DMA
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 16:53:38 +0000

> DMA of any kind (PCI bus-mastering, PC DMA etc.) has nothing to do with
> the type of memory. This should make no difference at all. Don't confuse
> DMA on your motherboard (typically used in soundcards with DMA1, DMA5
> etc) with the so-called "DMA" on disk drives. They are different
> systems.

Yes, I know they are different systems, can't say I understand
_everything_ about them, e.g., is a DMA channel allocated for an IDE
bus-master?

> To my understanding DMA on hard disks is just where the PCI based
> controller can be a bus master and may (not sure) access main memory
> within the defined and well thought out (unlike other DMA) methods of
> the PCI bus. You need to have a PCI bus master controller which is
> supported by your kernel to the point where DMA can be turned on.

The 'PCI bus master controller' resides on the hard drive, right?

> Oh, a have a look at "hdparm"

Yep, sure, hdparm, kernel config, IDE patch, kernel boot parameters, have
been playing with all that for a few weeks already... (kernel
2.2.17). And, what's the worst - yesterday I took a Win-95 (OSR1 - which
officially does not support IDE bus-mastering) hard disk from my drawer,
plugged it in along with the Linux disk, started Win95, tried several
tests to check IDE DMA (I've installed the Intel driver to enable it) -
they all shoed it worked!!! This is really terrible! If I knew it was
impossible on this hardware - ok, I would forget about it. But if Win
can!... This makes me feel really bad:-(

Thanks
Guennadi
___

Dr. Guennadi V. Liakhovetski
Department of Applied Mathematics
University of Sheffield, U.K.
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Henry B. Tindall, Jr.)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: dial up modem on demand?
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 11:01:26 -0600

In article <918lnd$13v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Can someone tell me where I can find info on setting up my dial up modem to
> dial my ISP when I have a client request to access the ISP?

diald is the way to go. I've been using it for almost 2 years as a gateway for 3-4 PCs
along
with ipchains for masquerading. I used to have a link, but it's gone now.  Just check
at
freshmeat.net.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Kernel panic with Mandrake 7.2 (x86_serial_nr=1 doesn't seem to work)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Hinds)
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 17:14:02 GMT

In article <c52V5.1667$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>Just a wild guess, but I got a message like this when I tried to
>get Mdk to recognize all 40MB of RAM in my kids' computer.  It
>would only recognize 32MB.  It looks like it's running into a
>memory-no-good situation.
>
>Blake Leverett

So how did you fix it?

Don Hinds
http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/eritrea/117/

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP with USB iomega 100 drive
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 17:30:04 -0000

What dirvers, kernel configuration needed to configure (USB iomega 100
drive).    OS Redhat 7.0

Thanks in advance for all help

Junior

From: Gareth Randall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 18:45:27 +0000

"Guennadi V. Liakhovetski" wrote:
> Yep, sure, hdparm, kernel config, IDE patch, kernel boot parameters, have
> been playing with all that for a few weeks already... (kernel
> 2.2.17). And, what's the worst - yesterday I took a Win-95 (OSR1 - which
> officially does not support IDE bus-mastering) hard disk from my drawer,
> plugged it in along with the Linux disk, started Win95, tried several
> tests to check IDE DMA (I've installed the Intel driver to enable it) -
> they all shoed it worked!!! This is really terrible! If I knew it was
> impossible on this hardware - ok, I would forget about it. But if Win
> can!... This makes me feel really bad:-(

The "Ultra-DMA" transfer modes have to be supported by both the controller and the
drive. To make it reliable you also need a cable with additional shielding (sorry, you
probably know this perfectly well!) Hence the "ultra-DMA" cables which have 40 extra
earth lines.

A DMA channel in the conventional (ISA) sense is not allocated for PCI transfer. In
fact the whole use of the word DMA to apply to the PCI bus is very misleading given
the earlier established use of DMA to mean transfers independent of the CPU between
memory and ISA peripherals.

You seem to have proven that the PCI chipset is capable of bus-master "DMA" transfer
with at least one other hard drive. So another question is whether the "Linux" hard
drive is actually capable of performing these transfers. Given what you've already
tried, I have to admit that much beyond this I do not know.

Yours,

======= Gareth Randall =======

------------------------------

From: Mark Patton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DVD playing in Linux
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 13:44:01 -0500

Hi,

I've installed xine and the decss plugin, but it fails to play dvd's.
Checking out the kernel log I see a lot of:

ATAPI device hdc:
  Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
  Read of scrambled sector without authentication -- (asc=0x6f,
ascq=0x03)
hdc: command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdc: command error: error=0x50
end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 2594200

It looks like the authentication is failing.
Linux identifies the drive as Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPIModel DVD-104S 011

The same thing happened when I tried oms.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

------------------------------

From: "Cédric CHEN" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: new configuration
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 20:00:59 +0100

Hello,

I am planning to build a new server (internet messager & access) for my LAN
with Linux Mandrake 7.2.

Can somebody help to confirm me if the following configuration will work
fine with LM 7.2?

ABIT K7 RAID
AMD Tbird 700Mz
128 Mo RAM
20Go IBM ATA100 (supported???)
2 x 3Com 10/100

Thank you for your help.

Cédric

------------------------------

From: Andreas Mohr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: PCMCIA EthnetCard not recognised
Date: 16 Dec 2000 19:32:37 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I have a new PCMCIA ethernet which is a replacement for another card.
> The first did not work on my machine or any of the three colleages's
> machine's I tried.

> The new one does work on a colleage's Acer with Win98 installed.  It
> does not however get recognised by my 486 Sharp running Slackware linux
> (kernal 2.2.17).  I have tried other PCMCIA NICs in my computer, all of
> which are instantly recognised and function fine.

> Upon inserting the RE450, I get the high tone indicating recognition of
> insertion of a card, but then a low tone indicating an unrecognised
> card.

> The output from "cardctl ident" is:
> Socket 0:
>   product info: "Ethernet", "Adapter", "2.0"
>   manfid: 0x0149, 0xc1ab
>   function: 6 (network)
> Socket 1:
>   no product info available
This particular card has been in the card data base for ages
(at least half a year now).
Upgrade your pcmcia-cs package.
Doing a bit of research is rumoured to help quite a lot
when using Linux... :)

Andreas Mohr

------------------------------

From: Michael Wilms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ASUS A7V ATA 100 problems
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 21:01:15 +0100

Greetings,

As a newbie I can't find out, why SuSE 7.0 does not recognise
drives connected to the ATA100 Controller onboard (promise).
Might it be possible (someone suggested this in a posting from
last week in this NG) that the kernel does not support ATA100
at all? I appreciate *any* suggestions about what to do...

bye
    Michael Wilms

------------------------------

From: "Default User" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: harware install solution that works
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 15:17:54 -0500

get Win98 dickheads!!!

------------------------------

From: "Joshua Beard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound Card Problem
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 14:51:43 +0600

I am having a problem with a new sound card.
It's an onboard sound card (unfortunately) and it's the Via Technologies
VT82C686 blah blah.
I have it set up correctly and can hear sound, but the sound plays at a
slow rate.  I really miss having sound, any help would be much
appreciated.  I am running kernel 2.2.18 if that helps at all.  Thanks
        ~ Josh

------------------------------

From: "Gilles Lamoureux" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: X window font server crash: help
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 15:05:16 -0600

People,

I was able to login to /home cia x window.  After trying several times, I
now cannot access X windows.  Here are the error messages:
////////////////////////////////////
FontTransSocket UNIX Connect: can't connect: errno=111
failed to get default font path 'unix/:-1'
fatal server error:
not able to open default font 'fixed'

according to /var/run/gdm.pid, gdm was already running but seems to have
been murdered mysteriously.
/////////////////////////////////

Any ideas.  I had been downloading font files to run pdf files and such.  I
will gather exactly what I downloaded.  But if the errors here are
sufficient to help me, please,
HELP ME.  I need to get to my sutdy materials pronto.

thanks,
gilles lamoureux

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X window font server crash: help
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 21:36:45 GMT

In article <BOQ_5.2621$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Gilles Lamoureux"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> FontTransSocket UNIX Connect: can't connect: errno=111 failed to get
> default font path 'unix/:-1' fatal server error: not able to open
> default font 'fixed'

This means that either your X Font server isn't running, or you have a
bad X configuration (incorrect font path), or that you are missing fonts.

Since the error indicates unix/:-1, it can't find your x font server.
A common reason for that happening, it that you're out of drive space and
the font server can't write to /tmp. Run

df -h

to see if you have available space, and try restaring your font server,
e.g.

/etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs start

on Redhat.

If that continues to fail, try reinstalling the standard fonts from your
distribution CD.

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ASUS A7V ATA 100 problems
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 21:41:29 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Michael Wilms"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> As a newbie I can't find out, why SuSE 7.0 does not recognise drives
> connected to the ATA100 Controller onboard (promise). Might it be
> possible (someone suggested this in a posting from last week in this NG)
> that the kernel does not support ATA100 at all? I appreciate *any*
> suggestions about what to do...
>
> bye
>     Michael Wilms

I can't speak for SuSE, since I don't use it. but most distributions
don't have support for Promise ATA100 yet, but there are kernel patches
which provide this support. You can find them at

http://www.linux-ide.com

A common approach (I've got one myself) is to temporarily replace the
ATA100 cable with a slower one, or to plug the drive into an ATA33 or 66
IDE port in your system if you have one. Install Linux, then recompile
the kernel with the proper support, and plug it back into its original
configuration.

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: Joshua Beard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: harware install solution that works
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 15:57:49 -0600

What a very intellegent message.

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how diagnose hardware - Hard lockup then crc error
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 21:59:38 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Stan Towianski"

> My system; AMD-K6 233Mhz 64mb ram has been locking hard at pretty
> frequently lately.  It seems to be getting worse.  I did not know if it
> is with each Mandrake upgrade ..,7,7.1, now 7.2 or what.  I wonder if
> the new KDE 2.0 is buggy.
>
> But I am questioning hardware and I don't know how to figure that out. I
> found memtest and ran that.  It blew out once.  Then I decided to boot
> from cd and mount my / with usr on it to run the memtest binary I
> created.

Try reseating your RAM and PCI cards. For a tough hardware testing suite,
check out

http://sourceforge.net/projects/va-ctcs/

If the problem is a RAM problem, there's a kernel patch which will
reserve the bad blocks (from the memtest86 test) so that Linux avoids
those blocks. You can find the patch at

http://home.zonnet.nl/vanrein/badram/

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hard disk partition problem
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 22:02:17 GMT

In article <FBM_5.417$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Richard Kimber"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a problem with my Mandrake 7.2 SCSI Buslogic system
>
> After re-seizing my partitions on my first disk, using Partition Magic
> in  win95, I should have sda3  (vfat) sda4 (hpfs: OS/2a) sda5  (hpfs:
> OS/2b) sda6 (linux swap)
>
> my root is on sdb5 and linux seems to recognise the second disk OK.
> Partition Magic doesn't show any errors.
>
> However, linux complains that /dev/sda4 isn't a valid block device, and

You need to tell linux where your swap partitions are located in the
/etc/ftab file. Also, you should make sure that the new swap partition is
a vaild swap by running

mkswap /dev/sda6

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How can I change the booting order?
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 22:12:01 GMT

In article <91f4db$d9f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> At installation time, I get the 2 disks (sda and sdb) in the wrong
> order; I need the system disk to be sda and the data disk sdb. That way,
> even if the external disk is absent, sda will always be the first disk.
> If I have the OS in sdb and the other disk is missing, the system disk
> will become sda and all sorts of confusion will follow.

I don't know how to get around the boot order problem other than using a
boot disk, since that is a BIOS problem. Linux however provides a way of
changing the way the drives are recognized. Have a look at the lilo
documentation (/usr/doc/lilo). For instance, you can put this into
/etc/lilo.conf:

disk = /dev/sda
        bios=0x81

disk = /dev/sdb
        bios=0x80

Which means, use the second harddisk as reported by the BIOS as sda, and
the first harddisk reported by the BIOS as sdb

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brad Friedman)
Subject: weird keyboard/mouse problem
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 22:12:57 GMT

I'm having a weird problem with my mouse/keyboard. I recently moved my
machine to a new room and now I have no use for the extension cable that
I was using for my keyboard. But, when I start up without the cable,
during boot up Kudzu (Red Hat's hardware detection software) informs me
that my PS2 mouse has been removed. Here I am able to use the keyboard
to select "DO NOTHING" so that boot up continues normally. Then, when X
starts, neither my keyboard nor my mouse work at all. However, if I use
the extension cable everything works fine.

I am running Red Hat 6.2 and using a Logitech keyboard with a mouse that
is serial/PS2 compatable.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brad

--
"You say the hill's too steep to climb...you say you'd like to see me try
 climbing. You pick the place and I'll choose the time and I'll climb the

                --Pink Floyd, "Fearless"

------------------------------

From: Harald van Pee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 23:21:00 +0100

http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/de/html/a7vpromise.html

------------------------------

From: "Chris" <e e z e e 7 @ h o m e . c o m>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Sound Blaster not working
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 22:58:08 GMT

I am running Redhat Linux 6.2, and I'm having trouble with my Sound Blaster
clone sound card.  When I try to use sndconfig, I get the following error
messages (these also appear when the computer is booting up):

       /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/sb.o: init_module: Device or
       resource busy
       /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/sb.o: insmod
       /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/sb.o failed
       /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/misc/sb.o: insmod sound-slot-0 failed

I have no idea what the trouble is, and I am hoping someone here can resolve
this.  One thing to note however; my sound card DID work properly running an
older version of RH Linux (I think it was RH5 or something).
=====
Chris

------------------------------

From: "Robert L. Klungle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Crystal audio (AC_97.o) on SMP, linux02.2.16
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 22:59:34 GMT

Jason Byrne wrote:

> "Robert L. Klungle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Has anyone gotten the audio on the Crystal decoder to work?
> > Works fine under Windows2000, but no joy from linux.
> > Using GNOME or KDE, keep getting message "/dev/dsp No such device".
> > All audio was set up as modules and audio enabled.
>
> What are you using for drivers, etc...? and *exactly* which card do you
> have?
>
> Have you checked out www.alsa-project.org ?
>
> - Jason
>

> > Been working on this for a year now.
> >
> > cheers...bob

Will answer as best as I can.
Drivers being used are those being loaded by GNOME/KDE at startup.

All drivers built as modules (AC_97.o, sound.o, etc.)

Don't know which card. Built into MB and documentation in user book says:
"Audio on board supplied by AC97 codec".

No other information supplied by manual. No other info provided by MB
silkscreen.

Have tried every combination of modprobe possible with every driver in
/lib/modules/...

When a module succeeds in loading (instead of erroring out), nothing seems
to link to anything else.

Have compared W2K driver info for audio to what GNOME/KDE seem to be
trying to load and they seem to match.

Will check out www.alsa-project.org this afternoon, after completing
upgrade of lousy W98 (hangs up and crashes regularly now) to Win-ME. W98
hasn't been rebuilt for 1.5 years so it seems to have developed the
creeping crud, just like a MAC.

cheers....bob.