From: Bob Marcan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ECC RAM supported by Linux?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 13:12:11 +0100

Carlos wrote:

> >Suppose the memory that holds the kernel segment that responds to memory
> >errors goes bad?  ("Kernel panic:  Error in error handler!")  When you
> >set up a system to report faults, it is best to make sure the faults
> >being detected can't bugger the reporting system--which means in this
> >case, putting the ECC error handler in ROM.
>
> Well, that is certainly a possible way to detect errors ;-)
>
> Now, ECC memory can detect and CORRECT a number of bits (I think that on
> 64bits it could correct 2 erroneous bits and detect 4, but don't quote me
> on this...).  Lets say that a chip has one bad bit (or a bad "row" of
> bits not in the same word) then it could detect and correct the problem
> (so that there is no kernel panic) but still report it to root so that
> he/she knows that there is a bad chip...
>
> Carlos

In early days (80s) memory boards were not so stable.
VMS disables physical memory page (512B) and report to errlog.
Also the command SHOW SYSTEM shows the offending page.

Today: i got original additional 128MB ECC RAM for my Compaq AP200.
NT simply crashes from time to time, on Linux this part of memory
was mainly used as cache and i got corrupted data.

Hm.

--
 Bob Marcan                           mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Aster                                tel:    +386 (1) 5894-329

------------------------------

From: "Kilian A. Foth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Who is happy with their linux/xwindows hardware?
Date: 20 Dec 2000 12:15:25 GMT

Dan Hull <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'd like to run linux with xwindows, possibly a multi-monitor setup.  Is
> there anyone with a fairly recent mass-market, mainly off-the-shelf pc which
> they are happy with as a platform for this software?  Do you do dual boot or
> pure linux?

> Any advice about an readily available, fairly trouble-free linux platform,
> especially one that can be extended to multi-monitor mode, I'd much
> appreciate.

My box is a totally off-the-shelf Fujitsu Pentium III, and both SuSE
7.0 and Win98SE use all of the hardware without complaint, even the
cheap on-chip soundblaster. Multihead setup is reputed to be easy
under X11 (not that I've ever done it). About Win I have no
clue.

--
``The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from.''

                                                  - Andrew S. Tanenbaum

------------------------------

From: Richard Kimber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hard disk partition problem
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 12:41:15 +0000

Mark Post wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 00:31:25 +0000, Richard Kimber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >Mark Post wrote:
> -snip-
> >>
> >> Based on the device numbers sda5 and sda6, I would guess that you have
> >> one
> >> extended partition, with several logical partitions within it.  The
> >> extended partition is most likely partition #4, which means that the
> >> first, second, etc. logical partitions within it would be /dev/sda5,
> >> /dev/sda6, etc.
>
> >> Mark Post
>
> >Hmmmn.  Interesting.  That could certainly explain it.  Though I didn't
> >realise that the extended partition within which the logical partitions
> >fit gets its own device.
>
> That's because it doesn't.  It's just that device names are keyed off
> partition numbers (in a general sense).  1>hda1 2>hda2 6>hda6.
> The _physical_ (primary/extended) partitions are numbered 1 through 4.
> The logical partitions are numbered 5 and up (just in case you define the
> maximum number of primary partitions).  Since you can't really access an
> extended partition, only the logical ones within it, they will start at
> /dev/hda5 or /dev/sda5.
>

> Mark Post

Thanks.  I understand now.

- Richard.

--
Richard Kimber
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Richard Kimber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ??? RH7.0 on a Pentium Pro 200
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 12:44:21 +0000

mike marois wrote:

> I just purchased a pentium pro 200 with 256mb of ram to be the SOHO server
> to act as a file server, intranet, and gateway in my 4 pc home office
> network.  Are there any know problems with this seemly old technology?
> Will
> RH7.0 see and utilixe all 256mb of RAM?  Is expecting this box to handle
> all of this too much??
>
> A recent MS convert!

Mandrake, which is not disimilar to RH, runs fine on my PPro 200 with 64MB.
--
Richard Kimber
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wolfgang Schmidt)
Subject: Problems with promise u 66
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 13:05:30 GMT

Hi,

I have problems installing a Promise u66 controller in my system
(ASUS P2B-S with 2 IDE-Disks, 1 SCSI-CDROM, 1 IDE-CDROM)
On the Promise U66 Card installed 2 HD's in order to use software
raid.

Linux Kernel 2.2.16

No problems with a "normal IDE-Kernel".
But when I enable DMA using hdparm, after the entire system hangs
after some disk accesses.

Same effect when using Linux-Kernel with CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX=y:
System hangs already during boot phase.

Please, help me

Wolfgang Schmidt

From: Jerra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: AT LAAAAAAAST !!! YIPPEEEEEEE!
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:17:15 +0200

shit

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux!
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 13:35:11 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Kyle Jacobs
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Wed, 20 Dec 2000 04:57:36 GMT
<4%W%5.34786$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> The Linux users need a reality check to see how much they are missing
>> since they last used Windows circa 3.0
>>

>This is very true, I see people bashing Windows for problems it's had dating
>back to Windows for Workgroups 3.11 now THAT'S sad; being so angry at a
>computing platform for nearly six years now.  Although it's more often that
>I find Linux zealot's complaining that "Windows is the platform of satan"
>because it "crashes so much".
>
>Of course they are refering to Windows 95 and 98's hideous stability
>problems, not Windows NT (after SP3) Windows 2000 or Windows Me.
>They don't realize that OS's change.

What stability problems?  I've had windows 95 on my disk for quite
some years now.  Of course, I don't boot into it often :-).

>Which is the only reason I still use Linux, too see if SOMETHING has
>changed.  5 Years and counting, the result?  No.

No, nothing on Linux has changed at all.  That's why:

- the latest kernel version is 1.0.9 -- if not earlier -- pay
  no attention to them newfangled 2.4.0-testpre10 releases,
  it's an attempt by a deranged individual to confuse you.
- KDE?  It's but a figment of your imagination.
- Gnome?  What gnome?  I don't see any gnome...
- WinE can't emulate Windows.  It just can't.  It can't even
  play solitaire (wine -winver win95 /c/windows/sol.exe) or
  minesweeper, or NT's "Space Cadet" Pinball, or Wordpad,
  or Notepad, or Word, or ...
- GIMP?  What GIMP?  I don't see any GIMP...oh, maybe he's
  with the gnome....
- Those reports that Unreal Tournament has a driver for Linux
  are just your imagination.  For that matter, the reports that
  Unreal has a driver for Windows are just your imagination.
- Those Sparcs, G4s, Alphas, Amigas, Ataris, etc. running various
  versions of Linux couldn't possibly exist.
- Network installs?  What an imagination you have!  I'm still
  doing it the old fashioned way, with 30 floppies and
  a very tired elbow.  SLS!  SLS!  Do it with a bang-up dress!
  SLS!  SLS!  Not too tart with watercress!  Yay team!
- The rumors of Quake III's existence on Linux -- as well as
  Quake I's existence on Windows -- are highly exaggerated.

:-) :-) :-)

(Pedant point: Linux first came out in 1991 or 1992.  That's
8 years, and counting.)

                    up 85 days, 19:37, running Linux.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joe Merlino)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,git.unix.linux
Subject: Re: PCMCIA, winmodems(gag), and Acer TravelMate
Date: 20 Dec 2000 08:37:25 -0500

Josh  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have an Acer TravelMate 737TLV, running red hat 6.2 with kernel
>2.2.16.  Until now I haven't needed to use a modem since I have a LAN, but
>now I'm trying to set up a PPP dialup connection via modem.  Does anyone
>know the current status of "winmodems" under kernel 2.2.16?  Are they dead
>weight?  If so, I'd like to use a PCMCIA card, which I've been attempting,
>with no success.  When the OS boots up I get an "OK" from "Starting
>pcmcia" but I don't know what device it is, or how to do anything with
>it.. could anybody offer a suggestion as to how to go about setting up a
>PCMCIA modem and dialing up?  Thanks...

On my laptop, the PCMCIA modem is /dev/ttyS2. I use wvdial to do the dialup, and I
haven't had any problems with it.

--
---Joe Merlino---   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Where Zen leaves off, ass kicking begins."
                        -Steven Hyde

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Delaney)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,git.unix.linux
Date: 20 Dec 2000 13:37:53 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Josh  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have an Acer TravelMate 737TLV, running red hat 6.2 with kernel
>2.2.16.  Until now I haven't needed to use a modem since I have a LAN, but
>now I'm trying to set up a PPP dialup connection via modem.  Does anyone
>know the current status of "winmodems" under kernel 2.2.16?  Are they dead
>weight?  If so, I'd like to use a PCMCIA card, which I've been attempting,
>with no success.  When the OS boots up I get an "OK" from "Starting
>pcmcia" but I don't know what device it is, or how to do anything with
>it.. could anybody offer a suggestion as to how to go about setting up a
>PCMCIA modem and dialing up?  Thanks...

I have a TravelMate 330T and it uses a winmodem from Lucent.  Lucent
has a kernel module that you can download.  Your TravelMate may use the same
modem.  Otherwise, check out www.linmodems.org

Good luck!

--
Brian W. Delaney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Graduate Research Assistant

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Adding Memory to an A-Trend ATC-6240v Motherboard
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 14:10:02 GMT

Hi,
    I have just inherited the ATC-6240v motherboard with 4 memory
slots. I want to add 256 megs of ram and was wondering about
the pros and cons of using either 2-128 meg memory modules or
1-256 megabyte module. The board can, without an adapter, use a
maximum of 512 megabytes of ram. The costs differences between
both options are not much different.

                                                        Thanks
                                                            Mike

------------------------------

From: MWencek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATI Rage Mobility-AGP2x on Dell 7500 (Inspiron) Redhat Linux v7.x...
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 14:58:34 GMT

I'm new to Linux and would appreciate some help.

I have a Dell 7500 and have just loaded Redhat v7.0 from the boxed-set.
Can someone give me specific instructions as to how I can get the
onboard ATI Rage Mobility AGP-2X card to work at the default resolution
of 1400x1050 (16-bit or 24-bit color would be desirable?).  I'm able to
drive it to 1152x and 1280x with 16-bit color, however, I cannot get
options to appear in Xconfigurator for the 1400x1050 modes...

Thanks,

MarkW
-
"We want a few mad people now. See where the sane ones have landed us!"
 George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
-

------------------------------

From: ekk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CPU temp
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:05:43 -0500

Hello,
Is there a way to find out the cpu temp while running linux?
Thanks,
Ken

------------------------------

From: MWencek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: 3Com 3CCFE575CT PCMCIA on Dell Inspiron 7500....
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:18:58 GMT

I'm new to Linux and would appreciate any help to get this card
working properly in my system.  I'll apologize in advance for the
cross-post....

I just completed a fresh install of Redhat Linux v7.0 boxed set
and do not have a working setup with respect to the 3Com/Dell
3CCFE575CT PCMCIA card that ships with the Dell 7500 laptop.
I've tried modifying the /etc/pcmcia/config to add the 3c575_cb
module and various combinations of the instructions I've gleaned
from other posting below, however, the card does not configure
properly upon system boot.  IFCONFIG shows that the card is
at IRQ 11 and IO base 0x200.

Would someone that has this card working in a Dell 7000 or 7500 please
send/reply with a complete set of steps that I can follow (including
those in Linuxconf...)?

Thanks!

MarkW
-
"We want a few mad people now. See where the sane ones have landed us!"
 George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
-
MarkW (remove NO-SPAM to reply...)
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]

If you are getting the tx timeouts, try setting:

module "3c575_cb" opts "down_poll_rate=0"

in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts and see if that helps.

-- Dave

Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.portable
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Just Keijser)
Subject: Re: pcmcia woes with 3Com 3CCFE575CT-D NIC
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 14:15:53 GMT

Which version of pcmcia-cs are you using? I had to upgrade to 3.1.11 to
get my
Dell/3Com 3CCFE575CT card working. RH 6.1 only comes with 3.0.x, so
you'd
better check out
http://pcmcia.sourceforge.org/
for more details.

HTH,

JJK

>Aasim Syed wrote:
>>
>> Dave,
>>
>> I checked the /etc/pcmcia/config file and the 3c575 was not listed
in the
> card section, but it was listed in the device definitions. So I added the
> following under the 10/100baseT network adapters section:
>>
>> card "3Com 575 Fast Ethernet"
>> manfid 0x0101, 0x0575
>> bind "3c575_cb"
>>
>> I wasn't sure what to put on the manfid line so I copied the 0x0101
part from
> the 3c574 card's line and assumed that the other hex value was supposed to match
> the card (since the 3c574 had 0x0574) and put 0x0575.
>
>I'm having trouble wioth this card too in my GAteway Solo2550.
>
>However, I managed to get a little further. Firstly, I suggest once
>linux is up, take the card out, put it back in (you get the low beep)
>then do "tail /var/log/messages" and I think you'll find you've got
the
>2nd number wrong on your manfid line. Use the entries *exactly* as
they
>appear in the messages file. I can't recall my exactly now (same
lapto,
>but I'm under Win98 now), but I think my second number was 0x5275 NOT
>0x0575.
>
>Now I get 2 high beeps when the card is inserted, and ifconfig reports
>correctly configured port.
>
>My problem is that the LED on the pcmcia card does not come on and I
>have no network access (ping etc). What can I test next? I thought
maybe
>the card is coming up in 100base2 mode, but the command to change this
>(I forget it now) says it is unable to change the setting. I thought
>these PCMCIA network cards always come up in AUTO mode by default? I
>don't have a 10/100 hub/switch, but if really necessary I can test
with
>a twisted cable directly to another 100base2 machine. Any suggestions
>meanwhile sould be great.
>
>Oh, I also had problems with the IRQ and memory setting in
>/etc/pcmcia/config.opts but that's all happy now, if necessary I can
>post it here.

Jan Just (JJ) Keijser -- Release Engineer & Unix Hacker
http://www.sightpath.com:
Cutting-edge Solutions for Intelligent Web Content Delivery

Your mouse has moved. Windows must be restarted for
the change to take effect. Reboot now? [OK]

My views are my own...
flames > /dev/null 2>&1

-

From: bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Zoom / Lucent winmodem with mandrake 7.1
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 07:30:54 -0800

DANimal wrote:

> I am fairly new to linux, and only own a winmodem.  I downloaded the
> ltmodem patch from lucent, but it wont install.  I did some manual moving
> of files and some insmod stuff to get the new module in the kernel.  I can
> get it to connect, usually, but it the pppd daemon stops right after i get
> an isp connection. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The lucent patch requires a certain kernel version and only works with
Lucent winmodems (sorry my laptop is at work but the documentation will
tell you).  Set up that kernel version as a boot option when you want to
connect.  This site has lots of useful info on using linux on laptops:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/

Bob

------------------------------

From: Colin Alie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing ISA modem
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:29:40 GMT

I configured the same modem a couple of weeks ago.  I recommend the
Plug-and-Play-HOWTO and the Modem-HOWTO as references.  Here is an
overview of the process I undertook to get my card working:

1.  Use pnpdump to generate a base isapnp.conf file.
2.  Uncomment lines in isapnp.conf to specify the desired configuration
for your modem.
3.  Run isapnp (in my system, isapnp is executed as part of startup
sequence).
4.  Run setserial on the modem serial device.

Until next time, Colin.

------------------------------

From: Colin Alie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI errors...
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:41:13 GMT

I've experienced quirky behaviour from my BT-542BH scsi adapter for a
while now.  I've managed to work around the problem until now and I was
hoping that you could help me.

Scenario 1:  mounting CD-ROM drive in Linux

--- snip ---
aliecol> mount /mnt/cdrom
(after several seconds of waiting...)
scsi0: aborting command due to timeout: pid 37, scsi 0, channel 0, id 1,
lun 0  Read (10) 00 00 00 00 c9 00 00 01 00
scsi: Aborting CCB #43 to Target 1
--- snip ---

The LED on the SCSI host adapter will briefly flash after the 'mount'
command is issued and I can hear the CD-ROM drive start spinning but
there is no other activity after that.

The work-around that I've been using is to press a key on the keyboard
after I issue any command that requires accessing a device on the SCSI
bus.  As soon as I press a key, the LED on the SCSI host adapter will
flash and, usually, the command will succeed.

Scenario 2:  CD writing in Linux

While running X and downloading a large file from internet, I write data
from EIDE hard drive to CD-RW drive on SCSI bus at 4x speed (cdrecord -v
-dummy speed=4 fs=4m -useinfo dev=0,2,0 -audio -pad ~/wav/*wav).  I
increase the write speed to 8x and the write fails due to what I believe
to be a buffer-underrun error.  I theorize that the file transfer and X
might be using enough resources as to prevent 8x writing.  So I
disconnect from the internet and kill X and then...

--- snip ---
aliecol> cdrecord -v -dummy speed=8 fs=4m -useinfo dev=0,2,0 -audio -pad
~/wav/*wav
scsi: aborting command due to timeout: pid 37, scsi 0, channel 0, id 1,
lun 0  Start/Stop Unit 00 00 00 01 00
scsi0: Aborting CCB #116 to Target 2
--- snip ---

I've had similar experiences accessing SCSI devices on Windows 95 and
DOS.  There are no apparent IRAQ, I/O, or DMA conflicts reported by the
operating system.  The internal SCSI chain is properly terminated and
there are no external devices.  The resistors on the SCSI host adapter
appear to be installed correctly.  Do you have any idea what the problem
could be?

Until next time, Colin.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Travis)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:49:07 GMT

And [EMAIL PROTECTED] spoke unto the masses...
>On Tue, 19 Dec 2000 21:20:16 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A transfinite
>number of monkeys) wrote:
>

>>Obviously why on my PC, such "archaic" hardware as:
>>
>>SoundBlaster Live!
>
>Tell me how you get surround sound, or digital audio via the digital
>audio spid/f connector under Linux?

OSS.  Go read the changelog.

>Tell me about LiveWare for Linux?

Tell ME why the fuck liveware bluescreens me in w2k anytime anyone other than
admin tries to use the surround mixer?  Check perms...correct.
Uninstall/reinstall drivers...done.  I would like to see some of the stuff from
Liveware though, and I assume we will soon.  Other stuff, like making everyone
sound like a chipmunk is less than useful IMO.

>>Creative Annihilator 2 (GeForce 2 GTS based card)
>
>And you get full use of all the 3d stuff and acceleration under Linux?

Yes.  The latest X releases are quite acceptable IMO.

<snipped poor reasoning>

jt
--
Debian Gnu/Linux [Woody]
2.4.0-test9-ReiserFs|XFree4.0.1|nVidia.95 Drivers

------------------------------

From: Rob Wehrli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MyLinux PDA Project Site...
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2000 13:40:58 -0700

Developers interested in working on a brand new, ground-up platform
designed by Linux Developers for Linux Developers should wander over to
the MyLinux web site.

http://www.azpower.com/mylinux/

Note this is a *completely new* hardware design in a ~3.5"x5" form
factor by a group of Linux people, not some big company.  The system is
completely OPEN SOURCE and devices will be sold at a fixed model of COST
+ $20 so that as more people purchase units and volume purchasing goes
up thus driving costs down, units will be less expensive over time!

Note that our system is really a "PLW" or Pocket Linux Workstation, but
we use the term PDA because of its size!  It has 256MBytes of SDRAM and
a 133MHz Hitachi SuperH 32-bit RISC processor.  All of the applications
and hardware are being built from donations of code and cash from the
entire Linux Community in this completely open system.

At least stop by and check out the project and see if it makes sense to
you or someone you know who is actively involved with advocating Linux.

Take Care.

Rob!
--
MyLinux Project Director