From: MWencek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: 3Com 3CCFE575CT PCMCIA on Dell Inspiron 7500....
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 00:50:40 GMT

In article <2A706.5631$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on Wed, 20 Dec
2000 19:16:14 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.portable MWencek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I just completed a fresh install of Redhat Linux v7.0 boxed set
> > and do not have a working setup with respect to the 3Com/Dell
> > 3CCFE575CT PCMCIA card that ships with the Dell 7500 laptop.
>
> You'll need to describe exactly what happens when you insert the card,
> with system log messages.  I believe that RH 7 should support this
> card so you should certainly not need to modify /etc/pcmcia/config.
>
> > I've tried modifying the /etc/pcmcia/config to add the 3c575_cb
> > module and various combinations of the instructions I've gleaned
> > from other posting below, however, the card does not configure
> > properly upon system boot.  IFCONFIG shows that the card is
> > at IRQ 11 and IO base 0x200.
>
> If the card shows up in "ifconfig", then the correct driver was
> loaded.  Then you should just need to configure the interface using
> "netconf".
>
> -- Dave

Thanks for the help.  I'm new to Linux and am still trying to find my
way around so to speak...

The card appears to be configured properly (IFCONFIG output shows I/O
at 0x200 and IRQ 11), however, I get 'network host unreachable' and
'no network route' when I attempt to test with ping and ftp
respectively.  The gateway and DNS servers are specified,
however I continue to get errors from 'insmod' at boot time
that warn of improper module and IO/IRQ settings.  This card
is configured for a static IP for use on the office network
at work and my small home-office network...

I believe that the fact that I have this laptop in a Dell port
replicator, with and Intel Ethernet 82557 10/100 'eepro' adapter
on-board which shows up at I/O of 0x1080 and IRQ 11 may be
clouding the issues with at least an IRQ conflict. In addition,
the EEPRO100 is the card I was hoping to configure for DHCP for
use with my cable modem for internet access.  At boot-time,
when the kudzu hardware identify/configure software comes up,
it is not able to finish the IP configuration info requested
from my cable provider to properly setup the DHCP info on the
adapter and related bindings...I cannot get to the point where
routing info for the two adapters can be configured...

How do I remove the eth0 and eth1 configuration and all related
items and start from scratch?  As I'm new to Linux, if you can
provide specific instructions to me via email, it would be
appreciated...

Thanks,

MarkW

-
"We want a few mad people now. See where the sane ones have landed us!"
 George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
-
MarkW (remove NO-SPAM to reply...)
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Eric Laffoon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: v7.1 locks up when init eth0
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 17:13:24 -0800

> I have Mandrake 7.1 installed. A 3c509 nic (ISA PNP) was installed &
> works OK. I've added a 2nd nic, a DLink DFE530-TX (PCI PNP, supposed to
> use tulip.o module). However, when I boot the machine with both nics,
> the OS locks up when it gets to "initializing eth0" it never even gets
> to eth1. Any suggetions? Thanks...
>

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

for one you might dump the ISA PNP (or load a 2.4 kernel) unless you like
screwing aroudnnwith things. Also if you dual boot you could be introducing
the problem there. Assuming you understand what PNP really means. It's
dynamic addressing for your system bus. An insane thing to attempt with
ISA. A winblows installation could have reconfigured or your system could
be confused as to which is eth0.

try booting failsafe, disablinig all networking and then boot up and
configre them both. Verify the card you are looking at. An error
initializing an ethernet card can really ruin a boot.
--
Eric Laffoon                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
A member of the Quanta+ Web development team

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: ES1371 soundcard setup problem - not the usual one...
Date: 23 Dec 2000 01:21:13 GMT

>Am Fre, 22 Dez 2000 hat Simon Brooke geschrieben:
>>I have an ES1371 installed in a twin processor machine running Debian
>>2.2. I have compiled a kernel with the ES1371 driver in, and that is
>>undoubtedly the kernel I am using:
>>
>>bash-2.03$ more /proc/version
>>Linux version 2.2.17 (root@gododdin) (gcc version 2.95.2 20000220
>>
>>bash-2.03$ dmesg | grep es1371
>>es1371: version v0.22 time 10:34:24 Dec 22 2000
>>gododdin:/usr/src/linux# grep 1371 /proc/interrupts
>> 10:        693        882   IO-APIC-level  es1371
>>gododdin:/usr/src/linux# grep 1371 /proc/pci
>>    Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 (rev 6).
>>
>>So the card is there and is at least responding to the system. However,
>>sound does not work and /dev/sndstat reports that the device isn't
>>there:
On Fri, 22 Dec 2000 16:22:02 +0100, Heiko Brüning staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>I've got the same soundcard with kernel 2.2.17 incl. es1371-driver. my
>sndstat shows the same as yours, but my sound works. I'm running RedHat
>6.2. So maybe something with your start-scripts is wrong.

The ES1371 does not implement /dev/sndstat at all, so don't worry if you
can't access it.  (See the es1371.c file for a partial explanation...)
If the module loads correctly (which it obviously has) and the mixer
setting is good (make sure the sound isn't at 0% volume) and the
permissions on /dev/dsp are OK (0666 if you want everyone to be able to
play sounds) then I don't really know what could be going wrong.

I have noticed that if I try to start esd, though, sound stops.  I think
this is a configuration problem on my end; I'm running KDE2 and don't
use esd for anything, but some GNOME programs want to start esd up every
time they start up.  I think my problem is related to esd and artsd
fighting over /dev/dsp, so you might want to check for odd things like
that if all the other stuff is OK.  BTW, my ES1371 is also Revision 6
according to /proc/pci , although I'm running a uniprocessor machine
without IO-APIC.  Some sound cards don't like SMP very much, but I
could've sworn the ES1371 was fine with SMP.  (wanders off, scratching
head....)

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: "Jason Byrne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kensington video camera II
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 17:46:16 -0800

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:91vtp9$8cu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Can I make Kensington VideoCAM work under Linux?
> Alex Rozhkov.

If you do a search for 'kenscam.o' on google or something... you should find
a page with a webcam working using one of the Kensington VideoCAM varieties
(not sure which one(s) will work with the driver mentioned)

I sent an email to the authors of this/these pages... about the driver being
available (or releasing it, etc...) and I haven't seen a response to my
email yet ;(

- Jason

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux!
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 04:39:59 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Anthony P. Rounsaville
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Fri, 22 Dec 2000 17:02:51 GMT
<%OL06.23139$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Have you acctually used 2000 or ME? They are the WORST products Microsoft
>has ever made.
>
>Why would you build a sever OS that is designed for idiots?

Probably because an idiot and his money are soon parted. :-/

(Yes, that is cynical, but, judging from the success of the
sales of Win95, people love slick stuff.  I think that now we
are starting to look underneath the shiny new paint job, though.
Metaphorically speaking; Win98 sales were and and WinME sales
are disappointing, as I understand it.)

>Have you even
>tried to load non-standard drivers on 2000?  I'll say not, because you
>can't.  They are now shoving Plug and Pray down your throat.

That may not be a fault of Windows, but a fault of various
PC hardware manufacturers.  (Of course, Windows has
complicity in this; they have to support PnP too.
The Linux method of supporting PnP -- more or less ignore the
board totally until 'pnpdump' or equivalent is run, then allow the
user to edit the config file produced and feed it to 'isapnp' --
gives the installer quite a bit of control.)

>Active
>Directory is nothing more than a rip off of an NDS tree.  If you are
>configuring or managing a server you want and need controll.  Something
>Microsoft does not want you to have.  Not to mention security.  Considering
>that no Microsoft product has any security at all.  If there is IP
>connectivity Linux will compleatly bypass MS security.  This was confirmed
>on a 2000 Domain with an NTFS partition.  Linux instantly had full access to
>the disk in question, no errors or security checks.

Lovely.  Apparently Microsoft hasn't learned the equivalent
of NFS's "root_squash" yet. :-)  ("all_squash" is even better,
in some respects.  'man 5 exports' for a full list of options.)

>As for ME.  ME should get the title as the worst OS ever released.  You have
>to love an OS that crashes every two hours.  I'm sure MS will try to fix
>some of the big bugs in the software and then charge you for the fixes.
>They will call it an upgrade.  The example 98 and 98SE, sold as a seperate
>OS, nothing more than a bug fix.
>
>I just love the "Linux Myths Page" on MS' web site.  They refer to the high
>cost of Linux support.  Do they honestly think that $300 per incident is
>cheap.  Taking into consideration that they don't help.  They will generally
>give you the reinstall line.

Or the reboot line.  Yeah, like that really fixes anything.

>Winblows was designed for idiots and novices.  This is one point that even
>MS has not denied.  This has been their market strategy.  If it were not for
>the boom in the tech industry, Winblows would have gone the way of OS2.

Or maybe OS/2 would have gone the way of Windows.  OS/2, as I understand
it, is merely bloated [*].  Windows is not only bloated, but buggy
and crash-happy.  (Win2k is better than NT4, though.  I'm not
sure if that says all that much.)

>There is one undeniable fact in all of this, Linux acctually works.  I have
>set up a dual boot PC running both Linux and NT4 server.  (Linux was a
>server build)  Linux ran at least 50% faster, was more secure, and never
>crashed.  All of my hardware was suported and worked far better than using
>NT.  The PC in question's specs are below.
>
>Dual PII 400
>256MB RAM (PC100)
>30 GB HDD
>Onbord Intel NIC (Never worked with any version of Win)
>Onboard CL Vibra 16 (Never worked with any version of Win)
>3Com 3C905B NIC
>ATI Rage 128 16MB
>CL Awe 64 Sound (Never worked with NT)
>Onboard SCSI Adapter (Never worked with NT)
>MB is a Tyan
>
>Amazingly everything worked with Linux the first time out.  The video took
>three days to get running on NT4.  You can choose to ignore these facts and
>continue to support an inferior product line.  If there is any one clear
>indication that Linux and Unix are far supperior to Window it would have to
>be that most if not all high end network security devices run clones of Unix
>as an OS.
>
>"If you bury your head in the sand, you'll never see the 18 Wheeler rolling
>up behind you."

Pedant point: I'm not sure a lot of 18-wheelers will in fact
work on beach sand. :-)  On the other hand, the point is
appreciated; Linux is gaining acceptance and hopefully some
momentum.

It's far from clear that Linux will become the dominant desktop
solution (and there are those who claim it should not become such;
these claims have validity).  But it will keep everyone
else honest -- and of course the existence of other competitors,
such as FreeBSD, HURD, Solaris x86 (if it's still out there), and yes,
even Windows, will keep Linux honest.

Besides...we mere users just want to get our work done.  Should we
really have to muck around with config files or registry hives
and cutesy GUI tools?  At least with config files, we can read
the comments, do the edits, and move on.

[snip]

[*] Considering that a new machine will now have 128M of RAM, or
    even more, and 10+ gigabytes of disk space, it's far from clear
    this is even much of an issue anymore.  I still remember
    Amiga multitasking in 128K and Amigaites (I among them)
    calling OS/2 bloated for requiring 4M!  Back then, it
    might have been, but now, OS/2 might be called a microkernel. :-)

                    up 87 days, 10:35, running Linux.

------------------------------

From: "ekkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: how to detect when a CDROM is loaded?
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 20:56:48 -0800

can anyone point me in the right direction?  I would like to run a script of
my choice whenever a CDROM is inserted into the drive.  how can this be
done?  is there a better newsgroup to post this
question to?

1k thx - e

please cc me on reply as I don't check this newsgroup often!

                      http://www.usenet.com

From: "Joseph C. Kopec" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3Com CC1560i PCMCIA Modem
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 05:24:50 GMT

Someone pointed out to me that this modem is listed in the Gromit
Winmodem database as being Linux-compatible, which is good, and that it
is also referred to as a "3CC156".  The card itself says "Megahertz 56K
International PC Card Modem" and "x2 Technology".

In any event, I have no problem getting the card recognized, dialing
out, having a login handshake with my ISP (AT&T Worldnet) via kpppd as
well as minicom, etc. (also, it works fine under Win98 with the same
ISP), but can't seem to get past the login stage.  I am using kppp,
which calls pppd version 2.3.11.  I am running RH 6.2 for Intel, but
have upgraded to version 2.4.0-test7 of the kernel.  In kppp, I get a
message that pppd failed and the login script debug window reads as its
last message:

   CONNECT 50666/ARQ/X2/LAPM/V42BIS

The ppp log says:

   Remote message:^@
   Peer is not authorized to use remote address w.x.y.z

It appears to be a user name or password error, but I am certain that
that I correctly inserted my user name and password in kppp -- my Lucent
modem works with these settings under kernel version 2.2.14 with the
ltmodem.o driver.  Does anyone have any quesses as to what could be
going on?  Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: Tim Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 21:42:55 -0800

jtnews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>What I don't understand is why a company as big as Intel won't support
>Linux, even if it was just a driver with an object file and no source,
>that would do.  I'd like to use the Easy PC camera as a home security
>intrusion detection camera.  If they made the driver available for
>Linux, then I'd buy at least 3 more cameras.

Big deal.  Individual consumers don't mean a thing in that market.  The way
Intel makes money with their cameras is by shipping them to OEMs who bundle
tens of thousands a month with their computers.  When IBM or Dell or Compaq
threatens to go to another vendor because Intel has no Linux driver, then
you can bet there will be a Linux driver within the month.  That isn't
going to happen for a while yet.

I've worked with some of the Intel PC Camera engineers.  They are, indeed,
doing some moonlight work to create Linux drivers for the cameras.  But
much of the problem is in Linux: it still lacks a coherent multimedia
infrastructure.  The first problem you have to solve is USB: isochronous
USB transfers (which all the PC Cameras use) are a relatively recent
addition to Linux, and I'm not sure they're reliable even now.

What kind of driver would you write?  In the Windows world, you can open up
a DDK and say, "HERE is the way you write a capture driver with a still
image interface.  HERE is the way you hook into the imaging filter stream
for DirectShow."  You write a driver, you test it with VIDCAP and AMCAP and
Premiere. and you have 99.99% confidence that it will work with every other
video capture application written for Windows.  There is no such single,
identifiable standard in Linux.  You can't pick out a program X and say,
"if it works with X, it will work with any camera application."

It will happen some day, as more and more desktops migrate, but Linux is
still way behind in this area.

I'm climbing into my flame-proof suit now.
--
- Tim Roberts, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 06:20:12 GMT

The problem was simply that I had a default gateway specified in
/etc/sysconfig/network.  Pulling the reference to the gateway (actually,
using Linuxconf to do it) fixed it.  If I hadn't made this mistake I
would have been up and running upon my first insertion of the card and
setup of kppp for it.  Sorry to waste the bandwidth.