From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Pentium 4
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 02:22:37 -0000

Anyone have experience with Linux installs on a Pentium 4 box? In the
market for a new desktop, and I was wondering if there are any problems
with the 4 and Linux (right now running Suse 6.3 on a AMD K6-2, no
probs at all).

Thanks for any info.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J Wendel)
Subject: Re: Request for Comments on New Hardware
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 02:40:56 GMT

I just got a Dell OptiPlex GX110 933 Mhz at work. Wiped NT off the
disk, loaded Mandrake 7.1, No problems, now running Kernel
2.4.0-test13pre5.

Mine doesn't seem to have the SB audio, I'm using the kernel OSS 810
sound driver, which still has a few problems, but it plays CDs fine.
Installed X 4.0.2, it detected both the Nvidia card and the onboard
810 video, when I get another monitor, I'll see if they both work.

This puppy is FAST. System boots in about 10 seconds (after lilo
starts, still have to wait for the bios startup). Kernel build +
reboot takes less than 5 minutes. Mozilla starts in 3 seconds.

The only real problem I have is that I can't figure out how to open
the stupid case! Anyone know how?

Good luck,

John

------------------------------

From: Dam_Edged <DamedgedDon'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: soundcard/module problem
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 22:01:07 -0500

I have Mandrake 7.2. I cannot get my soundblaster 16 (ISA) soundcard to
work.
Apparently, the isa-pnp module is not loading. I think this is the
problem.
Dam_Edged

--
remove Don'tBother from email to respond

------------------------------

From: Dam_Edged <DamedgedDon'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: soundcard/module problem
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 22:21:09 -0500

nevermind: I ran sndconfig, and it works.   CHEERS!

:)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Pentium 4
Date: 31 Dec 2000 03:27:15 GMT

On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 02:22:37 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] staggered into
the Black Sun and said:
>Anyone have experience with Linux installs on a Pentium 4 box? In the
>market for a new desktop, and I was wondering if there are any problems
>with the 4 and Linux (right now running Suse 6.3 on a AMD K6-2, no
>probs at all).

What with all the argle-bargle on Slashdot/Tom's Hardware about how the
P-4 is the worst thing since RAMBUS, I'd seriously question the need for
a P-4 at all.  If the working set of your most-used app can fit in the
L1 or L2 cache, and the app is CPU-bound instead of I/O-bound, then you
*might* want the fastest processor possible.  Otherwise, you're just
wasting money.

Consider a T-bird system--cheaper, works well with Linux, similar
performance at lower clock rate, and all that good stuff.  MHz are not
everything, and Intel are not the be-all and end-all of CPUs.

But if you really want a P-4, I haven't heard of any serious problems
with using Linux on them.  You may have to boot the system with the
kernel command line parameter that disables the x86 serial number
detection; this causes lockups if it's performed on anything but a PIII.
HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: problem reading windows-created CD-RW
Date: 31 Dec 2000 03:27:17 GMT

On Sun, 31 Dec 2000 01:57:22 GMT, Phil O. Nous, Ph.D. staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>I made a CD-RW full of my favorite mp3s using a friend's internet
>connection (and windows machine).  Adaptec Easy CD creator 4.5, I
>think.  Problem is, I can't read it on my linux laptop.  I'm running
>SuSE 7.0 on a Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop, got both GNOME and KDE2, and
>I've tried every mount / umount trick in the how-tos but I still can't
>get any files off the CD.  Computers running windows can read the CD
>fine, though.  I figure it's got to be a vfat filesystem, but I'm out

s/vfat/UDF/ and you'd likely be closer to the truth.  If you do the
wrong thing while burning a CD-RW with certain programs like Sleazy CD
Cremator, the thing will get burned in UDF format instead of ISO9660.
This has certain advantages, but not everything supports UDF yet.  There
is a Linux filesystem driver that will allow you to read UDF
filesystems; http://www.trylinux.com/projects/udf/ if you're using 2.2.x
and it has been integrated into the 2.4.0-test series.  Try that!  HTH,

From: Jim Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Problem with windows after RH7 install(dual boot)
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 03:31:33 GMT

Help!!! I installed linux so that it would boot using lilo fom the hard
disk after several days of fooling around with it by booting up with a
floppy. Now when I boot to Win 98 it is horribly slow accessing the hard
drive. I can't figure out what has changed. I ran  fdisk /mbr to restore
the mbr but this didn't help. Everything seems normal until I access the
hard disk and then the machine bogs right down. Any ideas????

------------------------------

From: "Vladimir Florinski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Soundblaster AWE64 Value
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 20:38:07 +0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Paul Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running Red Hat 6.1 on a Pentium II 450 system with a windows partition.
> I'm having difficulty enabling the system sounds with my Soundblaster AWE64
> Value card. I can play CDs with no problem. As far as I can tell, the
> appropriate modules are loaded, except for the op13 module. op13 in my
> conf.modules file
> (listed below), but when I cat it under /lib/modules/2.2.12-20/misc, I get a
> "no
> such file or directory" error. Here's an lsmod of the installed modules:
>
> Module              Size                  Used by awe_wave     157804
>
>        1 sb                      33620                  1 uart401
>
> 5968                  1        [sb] sound                57240
> 0
>        [awe_wave sb uart401] soundlow               300                 0
>
>  [sound] soundcore          2372                    7          [sb sound]
>
> My conf.modules is: options op13 io=0x388 alias sound sb pre-install sound
> /sbin/insmod sound dmabuf=1 options op13 io=0x388 alias midi awe_wave
> post-install awe_wave /bin/sfxload /etc/midi/GU11-ROM.SF2 options sb io=0x240
> irq=7 dma=0 dma16=6 mpu_io=0x300

This looks reasonable, except your formatting. Usually when the modules load
successfully, it means the hardware settings are corect.

> When I go to the control center in either KDE or GNOME, the test of the
> .wav files produces nothing. When I initially ran sndconfig, both tests
> worked with no problem. I did a "chmod ugo+x" on all the .wav files in the
> /usr/share/sounds directory. Still nothing.

In a case like this it is usually best to quit a windowing system and cat your
.wav files to /dev/dsp. Otherwise, it could be a software problem (e.g., esd).
Try a variety of sound files: 8, 16-bit , .au format (these should go to
/dev/audio), etc.

> I have 2 questions:
> 1) With this information, does anyone have any idea why the system
> sounds are not working?

There could be several reasons.

> 2) What is the function of the op13 module, and why is it not listed
> with the other modules, even though it's configured in conf.modules? I think
> that this module may have to do with why my sounds aren't working.

No, this is not relevant. That module is for an old-style FM synthesizer,
awe_wave replaces it for newer cards.

--

Vladimir

------------------------------

From: Jim Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: win98 runs slow after reinstall of eDesktop 2.4
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 03:57:23 GMT

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 03:42:11 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:

> Anyone have experience with Linux installs on a Pentium 4 box? In the
> market for a new desktop, and I was wondering if there are any problems
> with the 4 and Linux (right now running Suse 6.3 on a AMD K6-2, no
> probs at all).

> Thanks for any info.

i belive the latest kernel (2.2.18) can identify the pentium 4 and
boot.  (either that or it's one of the 2.2.19pre versions.)  you might
have to wait a month or so for a distribution to offer this kernel
which would allow an install.

i have to wonder why you want a pentium 4.  the athlon is much cheaper
(cpu, mobo and ram) and faster too.

see <URL:http://www.cpureview.com/art_k7wins_a.html>

actually <URL:http://www.cpureview.com/art_k7wins_c.html> is the part
about the pentium 4.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: RH 7 and Linksys LNE100tx tulip compile problem
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 04:40:30 GMT

I've tried kgcc and gotten similar results (that is... similar to gcc).
Anyone got another idea?

Also, I realize that this won't help me get this resolved any faster,
but... LINKSYS SUCKS!  "Tested with LINUX"!!!  What the hell does THAT
mean?  No distro info, no versions...  HOW IRRESPONSIBLE!

I should also go off on RedHat, but I think that it's already been said.

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chris

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.hardware Rasmussen <Osler> wrote:
> > appropiate drivers compiled. I continue to get errors.  I have tried
> > the rpms, the drivers tgz file from linksys, and tried to
individually
> > compile them by hand.
>
> > gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet -Wall
> > -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c `[
> > -f/usr/include/linux/modversions.h ] && echo -DMODVERSIONS`
>
> Don't do that! If you want modversions, use modversions. If you don't,
> don't. Don't write cacked up stuff like the above. And where
> did you get -O6 from? And you certainly don't want to be using gcc
> on RH7!
>
> I.e. it's:
>
> kgcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -O2 -c tulip.c
>
> or
>
> kgcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -DMODVERSIONS -O2 -c tulip.c
>
> Nothing else, except that you may also have to fix RH's messup with
their
> /usr/include/linux and /usr/include/asm directories (I do not
> approve! Flames accepted and argued). These should be symlinks to
> /usr/src/linux/include/{linux,asm} respectively. Alternatively, you
can
> add -I/usr/src/linux/include to the lines above, if that's where you
> keep your kernel source.
>
> > I realize their is a problem with header files in RH 7.0 and gcc.  I
>
> Yep.
>
> > have followed the instuctions compulsively (see below) and it will
not

> That's what you think.
>
> > work. I installed the glibc bug fixes from redhat. I installed a
> > stable version of gcc.  Still will not compile.
>
> What do you mean?

> > http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html
> > Special instructions for Red Hat 7.0
> > Red Hat 7.0 has a flawed configuration with their default install.
It
> > uses the header files from an unreleased 2.3.99 kernel, rather than
>
> Well, that's a killer anyway. But I doubt that explanation. They'd be
> using headers from 2.2.15 if they are using glibc 2.1. Are they? Using
> 2.3.99 headers kind of implies the use of a glibc 2.2 prerelease to
me.

> > installing the header files from the kernel that is actually
running.
> > This was an attempt to make user-level binaries independent of the
> > specific kernel version, but it makes it impossible to automatically
> > build kernel modules.
>
> I agree. "third party" kernel modules, they mean to say. And it
doesn't
> make it impossible. -I/usr/src/linux/include should fix it.
>
> > A second problem is that 7.0 provides an experimental version of gcc
>
> Yeah, we know.
>
> > needed to correctly compile the kernel has been renamed to kgcc.
>
> Absolutely. So there is NO NEED TO INSTALL A NEW gcc. And you should
> NOT. Use kgcc. You will wreck your machines internal compatibility if
> you install a different gcc/g++ and start using it.
>
> > The work-around is to substitute kgcc for gcc and to add
> > -I/usr/src/linux/include on the compile command line when compiling
by
> > hand. The Makefile in the tar file and RPM automatically include
this

> I agree. So why did you not do that? What happened to your
"compulsive"
> behaviour?
>
> > compile flag, however they cannot automatically use 'kgcc'.
>
> > To repeat: this is a flaw that was introduced with Red Hat 7.0. It
is
> > a Red Hat configuration problem, not a driver update distribution
bug.
> > The symptom of this bug is compile error messages such as
>
> > tulip.c: In function `tulip_open':
> > tulip.c:1437: structure has no member named `tbusy'
> > tulip.c:1438: structure has no member named `start'
>
> ya ya ya.

> > What am I doing wrong?
>
> Not following the instructions that you said you were following for a
> start!
>
> Post your error messages.
>
> Peter

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 05:05:17 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I've tried kgcc and gotten similar results (that is... similar to gcc).
> Anyone got another idea?
>
> Also, I realize that this won't help me get this resolved any faster,
> but... LINKSYS SUCKS!  "Tested with LINUX"!!!  What the hell does THAT
> mean?  No distro info, no versions...  HOW IRRESPONSIBLE!
>
> I should also go off on RedHat, but I think that it's already been said.

I don't think it is Linksys. I have 3 Linksys LNE100TX cards and they
work without any problems what so ever, but then I'm not running RedHat
7.0

As for RedHat 7.0

Linus Weighs in on Red Hat 7 Compiler Issues
http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2000-12-14-002-21-NW-RH-SW

Best of luck.
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 98.967% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: Alain Soucy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: sound recording
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 00:50:31 -0500

Hi !

I just installed  a sound blaster live! in my linux box. I use the Alsa
drivers and everything
seem to work fine, exept for the recording.

When the X-server is running no recording is possible... 'arecord' is
locked and can't open the device...

On the console, when X is not running,  everything works ok

any idea ???

Thank you.