Linux-Hardware Digest #139, Volume #14            Sun, 7 Jan 01 00:13:08 EST

Contents:
  Re: Setting Up a Minimal Box to do Firewalling and Routing to Internet
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Best Dual Processor board and processor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Linux on Emachines??? (Allen)
  Modem control as it pertains to UPS signalling (Gary Taylor)
  Modem advice ("Art Inion")
  Re: Bash Command Not found (Jarl Friis)
  Re: Modem advice (Jarl Friis)
  Mandrake 7.2 and Epson STC 480sxu USP Printer (Tye W. Botting, PhD)
  Re: ISA Ethernet ("Martin Eriksson")
  Re: Bash Command Not found (Noble Pepper)
  Re: How to use interrupts > 15? ("Martin Eriksson")
  Re: NEW kernel 2.4 and distro question (Mark & Janeane Simpkins)
  Re: Best Dual Processor board and processor (moonie;))
  Re: Best Dual Processor board and processor ("D. Stimits")
  Re: I cant get my usb modem to work ,,,, HELP (MERLE STERN)
  es1868 sound card in linux
  Re: es1868 sound card in linux (Tony Curtis)
  Re: Modem advice (FMRCYouth)
  Re: cdrecord won't scan bus for cdwriter (Parminder Lehal)
  Re: Best Dual Processor board and processor (moonie;))
  Help! I lost 128MB :) ("Michael Brown")
  Re: modems (winmodems?) (Marcelo Rodrigues)

Subject: Re: Setting Up a Minimal Box to do Firewalling and Routing to Internet
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 01:11:31 GMT

mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[specs for a cable/DSL firewall]

> 1. minimal processor and speed

I'm using two Pentium Pro 200s, which is ludicrous overkill.  Anything
in the Pentium range is probably going to be fine.

> 2. minimum ram

RAM has little or nothing to do with a firewall.  All firewalls have
to do is pass data from one ethernet card to another.

In other words, 4MB might (MIGHT) be enough.

> 3. hard drive space

If you have another computer to compile kernels or whatever, 50MB
might do it.  1.5GB is pretty much the upper limit for any regular
Linux installation (you can use more, but 98% of people won't).

> 4. minimal ethernet card. Will a 10 Mbps suffice

The chances that you'll have a connection going past 1.5Mbps are
almost zero.  10BT is plenty, unless there's a lot of LAN traffic
(which is the situation I'm running into now).

> P.S. I happen to be running Redhat 6.1. Are there better versions /
> distributions for this purpose?

It probably doesn't matter.  Select a bare minimum of install
options.  Debian is good for this, but it's also the only distro I've
put serious effort into using.

I'm a little fuzzy on the minimum requirements because I rather doubt
you can find a computer this "weak."

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

alt.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Best Dual Processor board and processor
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 01:27:26 GMT

"Joshua Butcher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> What is the best dual process motherboard, and processor to buy for a =
> small - medium sized web/mysql server  It is for my home, I have started =
> a business and I am running it from home, and have no exp yet with dual =
> processor combinations?  I will be running RedHat 7.0.  I have the =
> machine up and running now, but its an older AMD K6-3 450 with a promise =
> 66 raid controller...

Do you need CPU power?  A WWW server isn't exactly CPU-intensive
unless you run lots of server-side scripts, and proper SQL queries
will keep MySQL from blocking too badly.

The things that'll help you the most are memory and disk: the former
for a big cache, the latter for when the cache isn't quite big
enough.  You might consider spending your money on a nice fast SCSI
RAID setup and a 512MB stick of RAM instead of a new board and pair of
CPUs.

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux on Emachines???
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 01:30:05 -0000

Does anyone know if those cheap linux are worth investing money in to run
Linux on? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gary Taylor)
Subject: Modem control as it pertains to UPS signalling
Date: 7 Jan 2001 01:39:52 GMT

Hello,

What does this mean?  And how do I fix it?

WARNING: Port must be configured for modem control in order to work with a
"Simple" Signaling UPS

I'm trying to set up an APC UPS with monitoring sofware. I've tried several
software packages and I think I'm stuck at the point where the software can't
talk to the UPS because of my serial port configuration.  The port is OK as far
as I can tell because on boot up it probes the ports and looks ok and Minicom
works via null modem cable to another Linux machine.

The above error is from Powerchute but none of the packages seem to work. For
example, the ssd software from APC www site has me in a shutdown restart loop.
That is, it'll start up go through the runlevels and just about complete start
up when it goes through the shutdown process.  I assume this is because it
can't find battery and thinks it needs to shutdown.

Mandrake 7.2 kernel 2.2.17-21mdk

Any advice appreciated
Thanks,

Gary

From: "Art Inion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Modem advice
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 08:32:32 +0700

Hi.

I'm new to Linux planning to buy a modem to use for my dial-up Internet
connection.  As internal modems are too much the hassle, what external
modems do any of you recommend? The likes of US Robotics or GVC?  Perhaps
there are others you have in mind? How do I know if an external modem will
work in Linux?  Or is it safe to assume that all external modems will work
for Linux?

Thanks in advance.

A. Inion

------------------------------

From: Jarl Friis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bash Command Not found
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 02:30:29 +0100

Roger Hawley wrote:

> Whenever I try to run sndconfig, linuxconf  I get command not found.I am a
> newbei.

you don't specify a dstribution?

linuxconf is a Redhat thing, probably the same holds for sndconfig. If you
are running SuSE (much better :-) then try yast, or yast2.

Good luck

Jarl

------------------------------

From: Jarl Friis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem advice
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 02:52:20 +0100

Art Inion wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I'm new to Linux planning to buy a modem to use for my dial-up Internet
> connection.  As internal modems are too much the hassle, what external
> modems do any of you recommend? The likes of US Robotics or GVC?  Perhaps
> there are others you have in mind? How do I know if an external modem will
> work in Linux?  Or is it safe to assume that all external modems will work
> for Linux?

Quite safe to assume all external modems work with linux. The USRobotics is
very easy to setup, no strange stuff. You can check the Linux hardware
compatibilty list. Search google for it.

Jarl

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tye W. Botting, PhD)
Subject: Mandrake 7.2 and Epson STC 480sxu USP Printer
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 01:52:47 -0000

      I've been trying to set up my new USB printer (Epson Stylus Color
480sxu, USB model) for use on my Mandrake 7.2 system.  No luck so far,
trying all the 400 models, as well as a few of the other STC models.  The
printer shows up in HardDrake as an Epson 760 / M800C / 870 printer, but no
luck on any of those models, either.  The printer works fine when I boot
into Windows, so I know the USB cable, port, and printer are fine.

     Any suggestions?  (besides get a different printer... ;-)  I'm hoping
one of you gurus out there will have the magic way around this.

     Thanks in advance!

     - Tye

--

Tye W. Botting, PhD                 Northern Shaolin / Northern Praying Mantis
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                         Remy Presas' Modern Arnis

 **[Remove the FOIL from my addresses to respond via e-mail.  DIE spam DIE!]

------------------------------

From: "Martin Eriksson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ISA Ethernet
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 03:06:17 +0100

Any ISA NE2000 clone should work.

Just be sure to get one that can be set as "Non-PnP", i.e. you set the IRQ
and Port by software or jumpers. I think cards based on the Realtek RTL8019
chipset are good enough.

Be sure to put at least 16MB RAM in the machines, and/or run a minimally
configured kernel/system.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Noble Pepper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 20:30:33 -0600

Roger Hawley wrote:

> Whenever I try to run sndconfig, linuxconf  I get command not found.I am a
> newbei.

Sounds like Redhat of some sort.

Really doesn't matter though, evidentally your path does not point to where
these commands reside.

You can find them using either

locate *sndconfig

or

find / -name sndconfig

I would guess they are in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin. Once you know where
they are can use them by typing the full path, like /usr/bin/sndconfig or
you can set your path (a good idea) to include their location.

To see your current path use

echo $PATH

You can set the path until you reboot with

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/bin

To change it permanently you need to find where it is set, probably
/home/USERNAME/.bashrc, you can edit the file with a text editor, if you
are in KDE or GNOME it shouldn't be too hard. Otherwise you will need to
use vi or emacs.

------------------------------

From: "Martin Eriksson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to use interrupts > 15?
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 03:29:22 +0100

Just try to set your BIOS "PnP OS" to NO, and reserve the soundcard IRQ's.

Otherwise, try the following kernel parameter:
irqmask=0x0020  (or 0xFFDF ??)
this masks away bit5 = IRQ 5 from the PCI IRQ allocation. I don't know if it
should be 0x0020 or the inverse 0xFFDF. try both. when booting linux, at the
LILO prompt:
linux irqmask=0x0020

news:DDz56.2522$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Mark & Janeane Simpkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NEW kernel 2.4 and distro question
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 19:02:43 -0800

My guess would be LinuxMandrake incorporating the kernel the soonest.

Mark

------------------------------

From: moonie;) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 22:18:35 -0500

On Sat, 06 Jan 2001, Joshua Butcher wrote:
>>What is the best dual process motherboard, and processor to buy for a small - medium
>sized web/mysql server  It is for my home, I have started a business and I am running
>it from home, and have no exp yet with dual processor combinations?  I will be
>running RedHat 7.0.  I have the machine up and running now, but its an older AMD K6-3
>450 with a promise 66 raid controller...

If you can wait a month or so the new duel Athlon boards will be out.  Thats
what I am waiting on.  Can't wait to test PHP4/MySQL/Apache with it.
--
moonie ;)

Registered Linux User #175104
   (Registered at: http://counter.li.org)

KDE2
Kernel 2.4.0-test5
XFree86 4.0 Nvidia .94 drivers
RAID 0 Striped
Test-Pilots-R-Us ;)
ICQ #83003404
AIM mooniesdl3
MSN [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 20:29:41 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Joshua Butcher wrote:
>
> What is the best dual process motherboard, and processor to buy for a
> small - medium sized web/mysql server  It is for my home, I have
> started a business and I am running it from home, and have no exp yet
> with dual processor combinations?  I will be running RedHat 7.0.  I
> have the machine up and running now, but its an older AMD K6-3 450
> with a promise 66 raid controller...

Beware the i840 chipset, it has a broken IO-APIC (with it disabled
responsiveness is badly hurt). Most anything else runs nicely. Lately I
have considered the ServerWorks chipsets the choice if you need 64-bit
PCI; otherwise, there are a lot of good boards out there (BX chipset has
been quite solid for a long time). FYI, a valid reason for SMP is to
maintain responsiveness under load; this can be a problem for web
servers, and SMP does help there. Often a concern is hard drive access
speed, since multiple persons may be reading web pages at nearly the
same time. In which case you should definitely consider SCSI, especially
ultra-160.

------------------------------

From: MERLE STERN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I cant get my usb modem to work ,,,, HELP
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 03:30:11 -0000

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: es1868 sound card in linux
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 03:30:14 -0000

does my sound card the es1868 supported by linux? sndconfig does not detect this card.
should i get a new sound card or it need some tweaking to get it to work?

From: Tony Curtis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: es1868 sound card in linux
Date: 06 Jan 2001 21:39:20 -0600

>> On Sun, 07 Jan 2001 03:30:14 -0000,
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> does my sound card the es1868 supported by linux?
> sndconfig does not detect this card. should i get a new
> sound card or it need some tweaking to get it to work?

ALSA appears to like it:

    http://www.alsa-project.org/~goemon/

hth
Eih bennek, eih blavek.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (FMRCYouth)
Date: 07 Jan 2001 03:46:47 GMT

>I'm new to Linux planning to buy a modem to use for my dial-up Internet
>connection.  As internal modems are too much the hassle, what external
>modems do any of you recommend? The likes of US Robotics or GVC?  Perhaps
>there are others you have in mind? How do I know if an external modem will
>work in Linux?  Or is it safe to assume that all external modems will work
>for Linux?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>A. Inion

I recently purchased an external ZOOM modem model #2948 that works great - very
simle configuration.

God bless,
Randy Bennett

Registered Linux user #198235

From: Parminder Lehal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: cdrecord won't scan bus for cdwriter
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 04:13:34 GMT

dan wrote:

> "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I used to have perfectly well running system under RH linux 6.1 but I
> > chose to upgrade to REDHAT 7.0. Now I can not use cdrecord anymore to
> > burn CDs. I have external CD writer HP7200e. I can use the this writer
> > as cdrom i.e. I can mount CDs but can not create new CDs. It gives me
> > error like can not scsi command , inappropriate ioctl for the
> > device......
> >
> > cdrecord -scanbus also gives the same error.
> >
> > Help ! please.....I am getting frustrated now.....
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Parminder Lehal
>
> if this is an ide burner, you need to load the scsi emulation module
> (ide-scsi)
> insmod ide-scsi
> i haven't figured out how to put this into /etc/conf.modules yet
>
> if it is scsi, i have no idea what is wrong
>
> good luck,
> dan

HP7200e is external
CD burner which uses linux sg driver for scsi emulation. I use following
modules for this
bash-2.04# /sbin/insmod parport
Using /lib/modules/2.2.16-17/misc/parport.o
bash-2.04# /sbin/insmod paride
Using /lib/modules/2.2.16-17/misc/paride.o
bash-2.04# /sbin/insmod epat
Using /lib/modules/2.2.16-17/misc/epat.o
bash-2.04# /sbin/insmod pg
Using /lib/modules/2.2.16-17/misc/pg.o
bash-2.04# /sbin/insmod pcd
Using /lib/modules/2.2.16-17/misc/pcd.o

when I try to scanbus  I get the following error.

bash-2.04# cdrecord -scanbus
Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
scsibus0:
cdrecord: Inappropriate ioctl for device. Cannot send SCSI cmd via ioctl
bash-2.04#

Following is the result from my dmesg command
bash-2.04# dmesg
Linux version 2.2.16-17 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) (gcc version
egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)) #1 Wed Jul 26 15:04:58
EDT 2000
Detected 165792 kHz processor.
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25
Calibrating delay loop... 330.96 BogoMIPS
Memory: 46744k/49152k available (1020k kernel code, 416k reserved, 908k
data, 64k init, 0k bigmem)
Dentry hash table entries: 262144 (order 9, 2048k)
Buffer cache hash table entries: 65536 (order 6, 256k)
Page cache hash table entries: 16384 (order 4, 64k)
VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_6.4.0 initialized
CPU: Intel Pentium 75 - 200 stepping 0c
Checking 386/387 coupling... OK, FPU using exception 16 error reporting.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
Intel Pentium with F0 0F bug - workaround enabled.
POSIX conformance testing by UNIFIX
PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfdb81
PCI: Using configuration type 1
PCI: Probing PCI hardware
Linux NET4.0 for Linux 2.2
Based upon Swansea University Computer Society NET3.039
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0 for Linux NET4.0.
NET4: Linux TCP/IP 1.0 for NET4.0
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
TCP: Hash tables configured (ehash 65536 bhash 65536)
Initializing RT netlink socket
Starting kswapd v 1.5
Detected PS/2 Mouse Port.
Serial driver version 4.27 with MANY_PORTS MULTIPORT SHARE_IRQ enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
ttyS02 at 0x03e8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
pty: 256 Unix98 ptys configured
apm: BIOS not found.
Real Time Clock Driver v1.09
RAM disk driver initialized:  16 RAM disks of 4096K size
PIIX3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
PIIX3: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
hda: Maxtor 53073H4, ATA DISK drive
hdb: TATUNG CD-652E, ATAPI CDROM drive
hdc: JTS Corp. CHAMP Model C2000-3AF, ATA DISK drive
ide2: ports already in use, skipping probe
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hda: Maxtor 53073H4, 29311MB w/2048kB Cache, CHS=3736/255/63
hdc: JTS Corp. CHAMP Model C2000-3AF, 1910MB w/128kB Cache, CHS=3882/16/63
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
md driver 0.90.0 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MAX_REAL=12
raid5: measuring checksumming speed
   8regs     :   168.021 MB/sec
   32regs    :   123.444 MB/sec
using fastest function: 8regs (168.021 MB/sec)
scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
md.c: sizeof(mdp_super_t) = 4096
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 < hda5 hda6 hda7 > hda4
 hdc: [PTBL] [970/64/63] hdc1 hdc2 < hdc5 hdc6 >
autodetecting RAID arrays
autorun ...
... autorun DONE.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 64k freed
Adding Swap: 136512k swap-space (priority -1)
grep uses obsolete /proc/pci interface
Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996
SB 3.01 detected OK (220)
ESS chip ES1868 detected
YM3812 and OPL-3 driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen, Rob Hooft
1993-1996
via-rhine.c:v1.01 2/27/99  Written by Donald Becker
  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/via-rhine.html
eth0: VIA VT3043 Rhine at 0xe880, 00:50:ba:e9:4d:a4, IRQ 9.
eth0: MII PHY found at address 8, status 0x782d advertising 05e1 Link 0000.

hdb: ATAPI 8X CD-ROM drive, 256kB Cache
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.10
VFS: Disk change detected on device ide0(3,64)
CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
PPP: version 2.3.7 (demand dialling)
PPP line discipline registered.
registered device ppp0
paride: version 1.04 installed
paride: epat registered as protocol 0
pg: pg version 1.02, major 97
parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [SPP,PS2]
parport_probe: failed
parport0: no IEEE-1284 device present.
pg0: Autoprobe failed
pg: No ATAPI device detected
pg: pg version 1.02, major 97
pg0: Sharing parport0 at 0x378
pg0: epat 1.01, Shuttle EPAT chip c6 at 0x378, mode 2 (8-bit), delay 1
pg0: HP CD-Writer+ 7200, slave
pcd: pcd version 1.07, major 46, nice 0
pcd0: Sharing parport0 at 0x378
pcd0: epat 1.01, Shuttle EPAT chip c6 at 0x378, mode 2 (8-bit), delay 1
pcd0: Slave: CD-Writer+ 7200
pcd0: mode sense capabilities completion: alt=0x51 stat=0x51 err=0x60
loop=0 phase=3
pcd0: mode sense capabilities: Sense key: 6, ASC: 29, ASQ: 0
bash-2.04#

Hope this will help in finding the cause of problem. I suspect some thing
is wrong with parport module.
pcd module functions correctly as I can read any CD in the cd writer.

Please,  help.................................................!!!!!!

thanks,

Parminder Lehal

------------------------------

From: moonie;) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2001 23:14:03 -0500

On Sat, 06 Jan 2001, moonie;) wrote:
>On Sat, 06 Jan 2001, Joshua Butcher wrote:
>>>What is the best dual process motherboard, and processor to buy for a small -
>medium sized web/mysql server  It is for my home, I have started a business and I am
>running it from home, and have no exp yet with dual processor combinations?  I will
>be running RedHat 7.0.  I have the machine up and running now, but its an older AMD
>K6-3 450 with a promise 66 raid controller...
>>

>If you can wait a month or so the new duel Athlon boards will be out.  Thats
>what I am waiting on.  Can't wait to test PHP4/MySQL/Apache with it.
>--
>moonie ;)

Forgot to mention, I also have a K6-III/450 (@500) and they are really sweet
proc's.

From: "Michael Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help! I lost 128MB :)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 17:22:49 +1300

Hi there,

In my system I have the current memory configuration:
  Slot1 : 64MB PC100
  Slot2 : 64MB PC133
  Slot3 : 64MB PC133
And no more slots left. Under the BIOS/Win95/NT/2000/MemTest I have 184MB
(192 - 8 for onboard video) and everything works real nice.

Under Linux (Slackware Potato, Kernel 2.2.17) it says I have ~ 62 MB
(65781760 bytes to be precise) of RAM! Prior to sticking in the two PC133s
it correctly reported as 56MB of RAM.

What's going on here?

The rest of my computer is:
CPU : K6-2 400
M/B : Jetway 530BF (SiS 530 chipset)
HDD and other stuff

One more thing, How do you get a PS2 mouse to go under X? Specifically,
what's the /dev entry and does anything need to be compiled into the kernel.
I have a Logitech WheelMouse (Optical, PS2, mousewheel)

Thanks in advance
Michael

------------------------------

From: Marcelo Rodrigues <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: modems (winmodems?)
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 02:48:59 -0200

Mike wrote:

> Hi all, I'm looking for a new external modem, but I'm having trouble
> finding one that I can use with Linux, largely because all the modem
> manufacturers seem to put "Windows" under system requirements, leaving
> me uncertain as to whether or not they are winmodems. Are external
> modems generally not windmodems?
>
> I was looking at the USR Faxmodem (external), until I saw the line
> "Operating Systems Modem is compatible with Windows NT 4.0 (Windows
> 2000 support expected)"
>
> Bah. Can anyone recommend a good external modem?
>
> --
> mjo
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.
If you want to be sure, buy an external modem, serial port. If you use an
external with USB it may be a winmodem. But the serial port doesnt have the
necessary bandwith to a winmodem. All external modems using serial port are
"hardware modems"

Hope it helps
--
I am the one hidding under your bed!
Teeth ground sharp, and eyes glowing red!