Linux-Hardware Digest #148, Volume #14            Mon, 8 Jan 01 19:13:06 EST

Contents:
  Re: kppp sticks on initialising modem (mst)
  Re: D-Link DWL-650/500 - Wavelan driver? (Todd Scheetz)
  hard drive kaput? (Bob Tennent)
  Re: A Direct Modem-to-Modem Connection (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Re: VIA apollo pro 133A (Henrik Carlqvist)
  Re: Matrox G450 and Xfree86 question (William L. Sebok)
  Re: dual xeon problems (jwk)
  Re: kernel compile RH7 (Linux User)
  Re: Is Promise Ultra ATA100 controller supported? ("Frederik Himpe")
  Re: Replacing the hard drive access indicator light on the front panel ("Mcnamara,
William [NGC:B862:EXCH]")
  Re: How to configure ESS688 soundcard to play mp3 files under SUSE 7.0 ("Dr. Carsten
Menke")
  Re: HighPoint Technologies HPT370 RAID Setup in Linux (Tim Moore)
  Re: L2-Cache of Pentium2 with Linux (Tim Moore)
  Re: Abit KT7 Raid. Anyone got solution for Raid0? (Tim Moore)
  Re: How to configure ESS688 soundcard to play mp3 files under SUSE 7.0 (Carsten
Menke)
  ESS688/RedHat 7.0/kernel 2.4.0/MP3 are played to slow (Carsten Menke)
  Re: A Direct Modem-to-Modem Connection (Juha Laiho)
  Re: Toshiba Satellite 2805-S201 (Hicham Bouzekri)
  Re: Is Promise Ultra ATA100 controller supported? ("Dan White")
  Re: Configuring 2 NIC cards ("Dan White")
  Re: SCSI HDD very slow. ("Dan White")
  Central point for ide-floppy info (Paul Bristow)
  Re: SoundBlaster 16 (Vibra 16) Problem with kernel 2.4.0 ("Dan White")

From: mst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kppp sticks on initialising modem
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 15:36:25 -0500

James wrote:

> Hi,
>   I have a US Robotics external 28,800 modem and I am trying to connect to
> the internet using Kppp (The dialup program that comes with KDE.) Linux
> recognises the modem and I can query it using the query option in kppp but
> when I click connect the dialogue box says:
>
> Please wait......Initialising modem.....
> and it just stays on initialising and doesn't change, I eventually just
> have to click cancel. I've tried adjusting the modem command set but to no
> avail.

What if you remove the init string alltogether. Usually the factory
default is good enough.

MST

------------------------------

From: Todd Scheetz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: D-Link DWL-650/500 - Wavelan driver?
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 14:37:26 -0800

Jeffrey,

I managed to get my DWL-650 working in my laptop. The key for me was
upgrading to the latest version of the PCMCIA_CS package. I'm using
version 3.1.22 and the wvlan_cs module works like a champ.

HTH,
-Todd

jeffrey j cook wrote:

> I am trying to use the D-Link DWL-650 Wireless LAN.  It includes a DWL-500
> PCMCIA wireless nic and a pci->pcmcia adapter.  From what I've heard, the
> DWL-500 is a repackaged Wavelan card (prism2?), but I've been unable to get
> the driver to load beyond the follwing message:

[SNIP]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Tennent)
Subject: hard drive kaput?
Date: 8 Jan 2001 20:31:05 GMT

I have a hard drive that seems to be at least partially damaged. If I run
badblocks, I don't get any bad blocks indicated but I do get kernel messages as
follows:

Jan  7 16:21:54  kernel: hdc: write_intr error1: nr_sectors=3, stat=0x01
Jan  7 16:21:54  kernel: hdc: write_intr: status=0x01 { Error }
Jan  7 16:21:54  kernel: hdc: write_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound },
  LBAsect= 201333270, sector=1645909
Jan  7 16:22:54  kernel: hdc: write_intr error1: nr_sectors=1, stat=0x01
Jan  7 16:22:54  kernel: hdc: write_intr: status=0x01 { Error }
Jan  7 16:22:54  kernel: hdc: write_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound },
  LBAsect= 201333228, sector=1670381
Jan  7 16:23:00  kernel: hdc: write_intr error1: nr_sectors=1, stat=0x01
Jan  7 16:23:00  kernel: hdc: write_intr: status=0x01 { Error }
Jan  7 16:23:00  kernel: hdc: write_intr: error=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound },
  LBAsect= 251664858, sector=1671149

and similar messages with read errors. Is this a low-level formatting problem?
Can anything be done?

Bob T.

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Direct Modem-to-Modem Connection
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 20:35:15 +0100

Youngert wrote:
> What I would like to accomplish is to connect computer two to the
> Internet by means of computer one, a.k.a. Modem-to-Modem connection
> using PPP (an alternative way is to add a second ethernet card to
> computer one and another ethernet cat to computer two.

With ethernet, all you need to read and implement is what is in the
IP-Masquerade mini-HOWTO. If you want to use modems you should also read
the PPP-HOWTO.

regards Henrik

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VIA apollo pro 133A
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 20:51:59 +0100

lobotomy wrote:
> But unless you want to get a really expensive serverworks-based board
> (and those aren't even fully supported in linux yet), you are stuck
> with VIA if you want SDRAM and 133 mhz fsb.

In which way are the serveworks chipset not yet fully supported? I
ordered a SuperMicro 370DE6 last week which I intend to use for Linux.
Will this board give me any problems?

regards Henrik

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (William L. Sebok)
Subject: Re: Matrox G450 and Xfree86 question
Date: 8 Jan 2001 21:08:43 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Michael Meissner
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Actually, a better place for the Matrox Linux beta driver would be:
>
>       http://www.matrox.com/mga/support/drivers/files/linux_03.cfm
>
> Note, this driver contains a binary glob whose source is not freely available
> if purity of free source matters to you.

Does anyone have an opinon as to how well does this driver works?  I see that a
new version is out in
ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/archive/linux/2001/beta_1_00_04/

--
Bill Sebok      Computer Software Manager, Univ. of Maryland, Astronomy
        Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]     URL: http://www.astro.umd.edu/~wls/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jwk)
Subject: Re: dual xeon problems
Date: 8 Jan 2001 21:24:50 GMT

On Mon, 08 Jan 2001 13:59:11 -0500, ekk
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Thanks for your help-
>Memtest doesn't seem to crash, although the machine does hang before some of the
>programs finish running - just like it always does when I have intensive processes
>running.  But, memtest itself does not crash.
>Ken
>jwk wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 07 Jan 2001 14:51:17 -0500, ekk
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >I apologize, but is there a universal way to determine if the memory is ECC?
>> >I know that there are 2 512 MB SDRAM Toshiba PC100-222-620R modules, but I can't
>> >find anything on the web about this memory being ECC.  I am trying memtest right
>> >now.

will it run with one module? then you should test them one after the
other. Otherwise, is returning it to the shop an option? To each his own
:-)

Jurriaan

--
"Bother!" said Pooh as Q destroyed the universe.
GNU/Linux 2.2.19pre6 SMP 2x1402 bogomips load av: 0.05 0.04 0.02

------------------------------

From: Linux User <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernel compile RH7
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 13:26:22 -0800

Hello,

That error usually occurs when you don't "make mrproper" before "make
xconfig".

Cheers,
        Jim H

------------------------------

From: "Frederik Himpe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is Promise Ultra ATA100 controller supported?
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 21:35:59 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "alex" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have Promise Ultra100 standalone (not onboard) ATA100 controller with
> 45 GB IBM DTLA hard disk.
>
> Goal: want to make linux install and boot from that configuration.
>
> Question: if it's supported at all and if yes how to install linux with
> it? I tried RH7.0 - install script assumed there's no hdd at all :0/
I have exactly the same controller and hard disk and it works with
Mandrake 7.2 out of the box for me.

On this page you find a workaround if your controller is not recognised
automatically, it is specifically written for Mandrake, but I guess it
should be possible to use this trick with other distributions:
http://www.mandrakeuser.org/hardware/hbits5.html

Greetings,
Frederik

--
Frederik's Linux-Mandrake Experience Story
http://www.mandrakestory.cjb.net

------------------------------

From: "Mcnamara, William [NGC:B862:EXCH]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Replacing the hard drive access indicator light on the front panel
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 16:02:16 -0600

mike wrote:

> Hi,
>     I recently inherited a Celeron system in ATX box. The
> hard drive access indicator light doesn't work. Can I
> replace the LED with any standard type without adding
> a series current limiting resistor, or are they using special types
> with a built in current limiting resistor?
>    I was concerned that if the LED needed a current limiting
> resistor and I didn't put one in, I would burn out the LED
> driver circuit on the motherboard.
>
>                                                         Thanks
>                                                                 Mike

LEDs vary rarely go out.  If you haven't already, check to make sure
that the cable hasn't come disconected, either from the motherboard or
the LED.  Also check to make sure its plugged in to the proper point w/
the proper polarity of the motherboard.

If those things have already been checked, the by all means replace it.
It is a normal LED, no special resistor or anything needed.

Patrick M
--

Observe _no_spam rules.

------------------------------

From: "Dr. Carsten Menke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to configure ESS688 soundcard to play mp3 files under SUSE 7.0
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 23:33:59 +0000

Hi Pierre-Andre,

do you have a solution for this?

My ESS688 worked fine with these options in /etc/modules.conf and
2.4.0-test9

pre-install sound /sbin/insmod sound dmabuf=1 esstype=688
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=0 esstype=688

Without that mp3 files were played very slow and the card was recogniyed as
ESS1888. Perhaps this works for you as well.

Unfortunately, this does not work anymore, after updating to 2.4.0 and
switching form Mandrake 7.[012] (mixture of all of them :-)) to RedHat 7.0.

I get the error message
/lib/modules/2.4.0/kernel/drivers/sound/soundcore.o: invalid parameter
parm_esstype

esstype seems not to be know any longer although it appears in the sources.

Cheers,

Carsten

.

From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: HighPoint Technologies HPT370 RAID Setup in Linux
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 22:36:16 GMT

RAID functions are implimented in software drivers.  For linux software
raid, see http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html

--
timothymoore
   bigfoot

------------------------------

From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: L2-Cache of Pentium2 with Linux
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 22:39:18 GMT

Enable L2 cache in motherboard BIOS.

--
timothymoore
   bigfoot

------------------------------

From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Abit KT7 Raid. Anyone got solution for Raid0?
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 22:40:42 GMT

RAID functions are implemented in software drivers.  For linux software

From: Carsten Menke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 23:53:14 +0000

Hi Pierre-Andre,

From: Carsten Menke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ESS688/RedHat 7.0/kernel 2.4.0/MP3 are played to slow
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 00:01:42 +0000

Hi there,

running sndconfig seemed to work fine (but mp3 are played too slow)  after changing
from

a mixture of Mandrake 7.[012] (running kernel 2.4.0-test9) to RedHat 7.0

(running kernel 2.4.0, but modutils-2.3.21-1.3mdk, because I tried this RPM to make the

sound work again ) this setup does not work any longer:

alias sound sb
pre-install sound /sbin/insmod sound dmabuf=1 esstype=688
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=0 esstype=688

This now shoud be (after running sndconfig, or not?)):
alias sound-slot-0 sb
options sound dmabuf=1
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=0
options soundcore sb

Using these settings the card is recognized as ES1888:
SB 3.01 detected OK (220)
ESS chip ES1888 detected
YM3812 and OPL-3 driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen, Rob Hooft
1993-1
Soundblaster audio driver Copyright (C) by Hannu Savolainen 1993-1996

No matter where I add esstype=688 again, I get these error messages:
/lib/modules/2.4.0/kernel/drivers/sound/soundcore.o: invalid parameter
parm_esstype
/lib/modules/2.4.0/kernel/drivers/sound/soundcore.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.0/kernel/drivers/sound/soundcore.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.0/kernel/drivers/sound/soundcore.o: insmod soundcore
failed

According to drivers/sound/sb_ess.c it is likely that this parameter
still should be available. This part of the code did not change at it
seems.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Carsten

------------------------------

From: Juha Laiho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 8 Jan 2001 20:20:16 +0200

Youngert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>I am awared of serial connection between two computers; however, what I am
>interested in is if it is do-able to do a PPP connection between two
>computer over the modem-to-modem connection (without through a telephone
>line connection).

If it's a modem connection you're looking for, that should be doable. You
won't have TELCO line control (i.e. dial tone, busy tone, ringing signal),
so you'll need to "ATO" (if I recall correctly) or "ATX0D" on the calling
end and "ATA" on the answering end. There's no possibility to completely
automate this connection.

If, however, you're looking for a way to set up a PPP connection between
the machines, you don't need modems. Just get a good serial wire with
all handshake signals (DCD, DTR, RTS, CTS) connected properly for
machine-to-machine use (of course in addition to data signals and the
signal ground), connect the machines and you should be better off than
with modems. You even can do auto-login systems, i.e. you can set up
the connection so that no manual intervention is needed for the non-
connected machine to fire up the PPP connection at boot time. Speedwise,
the modems would limit your data transfer rate (for binaries) to about
33.6kbps (again, if I recall correctly, all speeds higher than 33k6
require special equipment on the server end); with PPP over the serial
wire you should get consistent 115.2kbps for any content (minus protocol
overhead, of course). The benefit that you might get from using modems
would be longer allowable cable length between the computers.
--
Wolf  a.k.a.  Juha Laiho     Espoo, Finland
(GC 3.0) GIT d- s+: a- C++ UH++++$ UL++++ P+@ L+++ E(-) W+$@ N++ !K w !O

From: Hicham Bouzekri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Toshiba Satellite 2805-S201
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 23:30:05 -0000

I have the same plans but haven't tried it yet. I think I'll wait for the
commercial release of the 2.4 kernel (sometimes in the coming couple
months) as they promissed native support for USB. Meanwhile this might be
of interest (although it's not much).
http://www.cse.ucsc.edu/~dkulp/fbsd/laptop.html
You might want to get in touch with the guy who posted the above article,
his email is there. Keep me posted, on your adventures!
Hicham

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 23:33:29 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "alex" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have Promise Ultra100 standalone (not onboard) ATA100 controller with
> 45 GB IBM DTLA hard disk.
>
> Goal: want to make linux install and boot from that configuration.
>
> Question: if it's supported at all and if yes how to install linux with
> it? I tried RH7.0 - install script assumed there's no hdd at all :0/
>
> Any idea will be helpful :0)
>
> Alexander Komratov

You can try installing it on the drive while it's connected to an onboard
controller, then recompile the kernel with the patches at:

http://www.linux-ide.org

then plug it in to the Promise ATA 100 card, which is the approach I
ended up taking to make it work. As someone else mentioned, the 2.4.0
kernel already contains support for the card. You'll want to have a
rescue disk handy, because you'll probably need to edit /etc/fstab and
/etc/lilo.conf and rerun lilo after you move the drive.

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Configuring 2 NIC cards
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 23:41:07 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Marc Pestana"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear Linux Hardware Wizards,
>
> I need your help with the configuration of my Dell PowerEdge 1400 server
> with 2 Intel Pro 100 ethernet cards  ( one is embedded the other is in
> PCI slot 6). I can't get my linux 7.0 os to "see" these cards. I
> received the machine with the os and NIC cards pre-installed. At first,
> the os recognized the cards and I was able to give them IP numbers
> (using linuxconf or netconf) and ping them internally. Now, I keep
> getting an "irq_parm" error from the eepro100 module. I must have done
> something to mess up the configuration but I can't remember or figure
> out where I went wrong.
>
> I've been told by DELL support engineers that LINUX has trouble with
> multiple NIC cards. Futher, they suggested that I need to remove the
> cards and their drivers from my system and reboot. Then I'm supposed
> reintroduce the cards one at a time. Can anyone shed more light on this
> procedure? Or, does anyone have a better ideas as to how to configure
> two NIC cards under LINUX?
>
> Thanks for your help, Marc P

That's just bad support. What they're suggesting is IRQ voodoo. Instead,
try playing with the PNP OS setting in the BIOS if you have it. Linux
should also be able to share IRQ's, so I suspect the problem is an
outdated eepro100 driver.

VA Linux sells their systems with eepro 100 cards exclusively. You're
problem should be resolved by either using the latest 2.2.18 kernel, or
dropping in a newer eepro100 driver into your source tree and
recompiling. You can find it at:

http://nic.sourceforge.net/

Linux shouldn't have any problems with multiple NICs either. Remember
though that if you have an onboard nic, it's often found as the last nic
(eth1).

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI HDD very slow.
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 23:47:43 GMT

In article <Xoi66.712$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "David Nunn"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I  was given a Pentium 100 machine with a SCSI Hdd. It was running
> Windiws
> 94, then I put NT 4 on, no probs. But...
>
> I low level formatted the drive, and now it's not really doing much at
> all. I have tried installing W94, NT4, and at present RH 6.2 has been
> sitting for
> 20 minutes on the blue screen that comes up after the kernel is loaded.
> It
> has asked for Drivers, and I have selected my SCSI adaptor, and I can
> hear some action (not much) going on in the HDD, but this is ridiculous.
> There is not much on installing at all.
>
> Any ideas as to just what I've fscked up this time? I'd really like to
> get Debian on this machine soon.
>
> David

What SCSI controller do you have? Sometimes you have to tweak the
"synchronous transfers frequency in MHz", like with the SYM53C8XX
driver. For Debian, you can drop in a new kernel by mounting the rescue
disk (DOS filesystem) and copying the kernel as linux, then running the
rdev.sh script.

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: Paul Bristow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Central point for ide-floppy info
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 00:14:40 +0100

Hi,

I am starting on phase 2 of my ide-floppy driver work, that of collating
documentation, bugs, glitches, common problems etc, in order to work out
what to do next on the driver.  You can find the progress so far at

http://paulbristow.net/linux/idefloppy.html

or at the sourceforge project

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ide-floppy

It may only be a small part of the kernel, but I want it to work right :-)

All constructive comments gratefully received.

Paul Bristow
ICQ #11965223

------------------------------

From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SoundBlaster 16 (Vibra 16) Problem with kernel 2.4.0
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 23:55:18 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Nicolas Gosselin"

> Ive been trying to figure this out all day now.  I had no problem with
> it before what so ever

I've got a Vibra 16 ISA PNP card that works fine (in 2.4.0, sb is a
module). If it's pnp, make sure you've got ISA PNP enabled in the kernel,
rather than using the isapnp tools.

- Dan White