From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: soft ide raid (5?) vs. SCSI raid
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 21:06:00 GMT

* Has anyone run benchmarks on a software ide raid system vs. a similar
scsi system?  The 80gb ide hard disks are so cheap, it seems sinful to
pay up for 3 scsi drives when 3 ide drives can do.

* I am a bit concerned about hooking up 3 ide drives, though.  I presume
I shall need a second ide controller (my current one is absorbed by one
zip, one dvd, one cd-rom, and one backup hd).  Any difficulties with
this?

* (Also, I have an old SCSI raid with 2 9gb disks.  Can I buy a 12gb
scsi disk, and use the three in an 18gb raid-5 configuration, or do all
three drives have to be exactly alike?)

/iaw

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Cap'n <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LinkSys EtherFast 10/100 & Redhat7.0
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 21:30:07 -0000

Hey to everyone having problems with the linksys card!  I just really
wanted to say that I'm 17 years old, I know hardly anything about
hardware, or linux, and I got my linksys card to work, after following the
suggestion of Micer.  I first tried to get my 3com ISA card to work, when
that resulted in absolute failure, I tried the linksys card, because it
has that big sticker on the box that says "Linux friendly" or whatever.
After pulling out a lot of hair and almost burning the card I decided to
give it one more shot, I found by accident actually the suggestion from
the previous reply by accident when doing research on what kind of
ethernet card I should buy instead, and I followed the directions almost
exactly and voila it worked! After configuring my eth0 interface, I was
somewhat stumped about how to set up DHCP as I am using a cable modem, but
after reading several documents, I realized that for a lot of dhcp you
must supply a hostname variable, it doesn't matter what it is, "hostname"
worked for me.  The documentation I used is available on
http://www.icewalk.com (which also has lots of good downloads) and
http://www.redhat.com (look for the DHCP mini how to, or how to).  There
is an abundance of help and sites that include documentation on hwo to do
almost anything.  In short, stay with linux, it's extremely powerful,
aggravating to set up, but once familiar with it you will love it and
never ever want to go back to windows.

James A. Sullivan wrote:

> I tried several methods and could not get anything to work. The module
> reported "bad irq". I switched the irq, but got the same error. My Linux
> project is on hold until I find an easy solution. I may buy another
> brand of NIC, but I'm afraid the same thing may happen. Reminds me of
> OS/2!
>
> Jim Sullivan
>
> Peter Bismuti wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to install the driver for a LinkSys EtherFast 10/100 LAN
Card

From: "David Nunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI HDD very slow.
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 08:45:12 +1100

Yep, the lowlevel format from the controller BIOS appears to have done the
trick. Put a DOS partition on it last night, but had to go out, so tonight I
have a date with Debian.

Thanks for the help, guys.

David Nunn.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Michael Schulz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cpqhealthh v 1.2.0
Date: 9 Jan 2001 21:36:40 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Guillaume GILES <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Trying to install management agents, i saw this version is needed, but not
> available on the compaq's web site.
It isnīt rleased yet. Version 1.1.1.0 is the actual one and can be found on
the Compaq website. Sorry for that, but 1.2.0 is on itīs way.

bye
  michael

--
Michael Schulz                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
fon : 0172-9708375             [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: MAKING MONEY OVER THE NET..POSSIBLE ??
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 04:30:28 GMT

begin 644 cash2.html
M/&AT;6P^#0H\:&5A9#X-"CQT:71L93Y5;G1I=&QE9"!$;V-U;65N=#PO=&ET
M;&4^#0H\;65T82!H='1P+65Q=6EV/2)#;VYT96YT+51Y<&4B(&-O;G1E;G0]
M(G1E>'0O:'1M;#L@8VAA<G-E=#UI<V\M.#@U.2TQ(CX-"CQS8W)I<'0@;&%N
M9W5A9V4](DIA=F%38W)I<'0B/@T*/"$M+0T*9G5N8W1I;VX@34U?;W!E;D)R
M5VEN9&]W*'1H95523"QW:6Y.86UE+&9E871U<F5S*2![("\O=C(N,`T*("!W
M:6YD;W<N;W!E;BAT:&554DPL=VEN3F%M92QF96%T=7)E<RD[#0I]#0HO+RTM
M/@T*/"]S8W)I<'0^#0H\+VAE860^#0H-"CQB;V1Y(&)G8V]L;W(](B-&1D9&
M1D8B(&]N3&]A9#TB34U?;W!E;D)R5VEN9&]W*"=H='1P.B\O=W=W+G!R:79A
M=&5G;VQD+F-O;2]J;VEN+G!H=&UL/W=M7VQO9VEN/71T8F]Y,C1F<29A;7`[
M=VU?<')O9W)A;3U40R9A;7`[=VU?<F5F=7)L/6AT='`E,T$O+W=W=RYM:6ME
M=FED+G1O<&UO9&5L+F-X+R<L)W1E<W0G+"=W:61T:#TQ+&AE:6=H=#TQ)RDB
M/@T*/'`^4V]R<GD@=&\@8F]T:&5R('EO=2P@22=M(&$@9F%T:&5R(&]F(#(@
M:VED+"!A;F0@22!R96%L;'D@;F5E9"!T;R!D;R!S;VUE(&UO;F5Y(`T*("!I
M;B!M>2!S<&%R92!T:6UE(&9O<B!A(&)E='1E<B!L:6ME(&9O<B!M>2!K:60N
M($D@8V]U;&0@9&\@86YY=&AI;F<N(%!L96%S92!D;V5S(`T*("!S;VUE;VYE
M(&MN;W<@97AA8W1L>2!W:&%T(&MI;F0@;V8@:F]B($D@8V]U;&0@9&\@;W9E
M<B!T:&4@;F5T(#\@/"]P/@T*/'`^4&QE87-E('=R:71E('1O.B!*;VAN36%T
M=&AE=S,S0&AO=&UA:6PN8V]M/"]P/@T*/'`^4V]R<GD@9F]R('1H92!I;F-O
M;G9E;FEE;G0@<&]S="X\+W`^#0H\<#Y*;VAN/"]P/@T*/"]B;V1Y/@T*/"]H
&=&UL/@T*
`
end

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joakim Roubert)
Subject: Strange Compaq stuff
Date: 9 Jan 2001 22:31:03 GMT

Hi!

I have an old Compaq Contura 410C (laptop), on which I run
Debian with a 2.2 kernel. I also have this docking station
to the laptop, in which there are some network abilities.
(At least one BNC and one TP contact).

The thing is, I don't know what type of network card/interface/
whatsoever there is, and none of my friends do neither.

The docking station has a text label which says 'Series 2865'
and 'Replace with Compaq spare 147675-001' (plus some patent
numbers and such stuff)

Question: does anybody out there know anything that might help?
Anyone use the same equipment/junk as I do?

I would be grateful for any answers on the topic.

/Jokke tmw.
···
 http://www.efd.lth.se/~d97jro/

------------------------------

From: EvilPenguin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: After installing and removing a 2nd NIC, both are failing.
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 22:32:40 GMT

Well, I recently got a cable modem, so I attempted to install the NIC
that came with the service.  After wondering why it did not work and
looking for a kernel module, I learned it was not supported.

So I removed the card, and when during the boot proccess, the "searching
for new hardware" failed, and so it still tried to bring up the
network.  For some reason, now eth0 does not work either.  I tried to
run kudzu manually and it seg faulted (with no other info).  I already
checked for an IRQ conflict, but to no avail.  I also cannot make any
changes for eth0 under linuxconf or the control panel.

Now, it will boot up, but it will still fail at running kudzu, bringing
up eth0 and eth1 (there is _no_ eth1!!!) and starting sendmail.

Is there any solution short of rm -fr /???

I'm running RedHat 6.1.  eth0 is a Intel 100/10 PCI and has worked
perfectly up until now.  The faulty card was a 3Com 3C900B-TPO PCI.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (really, I will give you god
status if you can figure this out).

------------------------------

From: "Joy Winter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: erazorIII (tnt2-chip) and video-out
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 23:34:49 +0100

hi,

i have a elsa erazorIII-videocard and want to use the video-out under linux.
has somebody a idea how i can use it. are there some tools to do this??

------------------------------

From: Karl-Heinz Herrmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to Setup RAID in linux
Date: 09 Jan 2001 23:26:40 +0100

Arun Solomon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Pls tell me how to set up 2 disk drives for mirroring ?
>
> Are there any built in tools ? in RH-Linux or Mandrake OR SuSe Linux

Linux 2.2.x Kernels can do software raid 0,1,4 and 5 (1 beeing mirroring).
with a recompiled kernel Linux can even boot from raid-partitions.

>From my HOWTO:

  This HOWTO describes how to use Software RAID under Linux. You must be
  using the RAID patches available from
  ftp://ftp.fi.kernel.org/pub/linux/daemons/raid/alpha.
  The HOWTO can be found at
  http://ostenfeld.dk/~jakob/Software-RAID.HOWTO/.

SuSE 6.3 had still the old raidcode in the kernel, I had to grab a
fresh kernel on the net and patch it myself with the new code. Should
be incorporated by now, but see the newest HowTo yourself.

> or
>
> are there any workarounds or the OS itself like NT support RAID

What do you mean by 'workaround' ?

K.-H.

--
=============================
Karl-Heinz Herrmann

------------------------------

From: Karl-Heinz Herrmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lexmark Optra E312L + Linux?
Date: 09 Jan 2001 23:30:43 +0100

"Edgar F. Hilton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Anybody get the Lexmark Optra e312L to work with Linux?    The E312
> should work, but I am not too sure about the E312L since it is probably
> a WinPrinter.

Have a look at: http://www.linuxprinting.org

IIRC the Optra E312L should be without postcsript but *with* PCL 5 or
higher. ghostscript is capable of driving a PCL printer, though maybe
not in top resolution.

I've a E312 and am very happy with it. I tried to use the PCL but
found it much slower doue to much more data on the parallel line and
not the same printing quality as with direct postscript. I would
recommend the not so much higher price and going for the E312...

K.-H.

--
=============================
Karl-Heinz Herrmann

------------------------------

From: Noble Pepper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Maxtor UltraATA/100 PCI
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 16:48:51 -0600

Thanks, I've been trying to find out about this card for a little while and
was about to give up.

------------------------------

From: Michael Schulz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Strange Compaq stuff
Date: 9 Jan 2001 22:50:11 GMT

Joakim Roubert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The thing is, I don't know what type of network card/interface/
> whatsoever there is, and none of my friends do neither.
have you tried the tlan driver ?

bye
  michael

From: "John D. Peedle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.powerpc
Subject: Re: RedHat on RS6000
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 23:02:16 -0000

This is a new PCI RS/6000 the 7012 is an MCA architecture

news:93e73b$47$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to move one Linux system to new hardware?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 23:31:37 GMT

I have a Red Hat 6.2 system running and I've been asked to move it to a
new machine (faster processor, more memory, larger drive, etc.).  What
are some ways to accomplish this task?  Is there a way without bringing
down the original system?  The old system is being backed up nightly
using Amanda (version 2.4.2).  I'm sure I can restore to the new system
but how to know which files to restore and which to keep?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Youngert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to determine the WAN???
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 23:31:43 GMT

Marc Pestana wrote:

> Hello Linux Wizards,
>
> I have a Intel Pro 100+ NIC cards installed on a DELL PowerEdge 1400
> server running Linux RH 7.0. I need to determine the WAN (Wide Area
> Network) address of the card. How is this done? I know how to determine
> the hardware address. But, I was told my the support people with
> roadrunner.com (my cable modem provider) that the WAN is different. Can
> you help me?
>
> Thanks forward,
>
> Marc P

I have an AT&T RoadRunner cable modem and the connection setup was pretty
straight forward (no need authentication).  I added a LinkSys BEFSR41
Cable/DSL router in less than 5 minutes with no problem.

------------------------------

From: Youngert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kensington webcam driver available...
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 23:34:45 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> hi...
>
> I just received the following regarding a driver for the Kensington
> Webcam... from one of the sysadmins at eecs.harvard.edu - and I thought
> others might be interested -
>
> --- snip ---
>
> Dear Folks--
>
> If you're getting this, it means at one point (some of you, I regret,
> quite a while ago) inquired about the linux driver for the kensington
> video cam that I've mentioned on our webpage here
> (http://webcam.eecs.harvard.edu).  Apologies for not getting back to
> you!
> And apologies if you're getting this info for the second time.
>
> I wanted to wait to make the tarball publicly available until I talked
> with the authors of the driver; you can now download it and relevant
> info
> for compiling, installing, etc. from the webpage.  Because it's not top
> priority, most of the documentation consists of emails between Dmitry
> and
> myself which you'll have to interpret, alas, but things should be pretty
> straightforward.  There's also a basic FAQ which has a site-specific
> barebones install guide at http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/webcamfaq.html.
>
> For those of you who are wondering why the cam has been down so much
> lately, it's because I've been poking at my kernel and the cam is, alas,
> low priority.  :)
>
> Hope this helps, folks!  Let me know if you have any questions.
>
> --- end snip ---
>
> (names/emails omitted as a 'spam' courtesy to the author)
>

> - Jason
>

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Does not compile on the latext linux-2.4.0 kernel.  Needs some hacks.

------------------------------

From: Youngert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: vodoo tv
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 23:36:34 GMT

Jim McDonald wrote:

> Jonathan Paul wrote:
> >
> > can anyone tell me how to get my vodoo3 3500 tv tuner card working under
> > Red Hat?
>

> https://sourceforge.net/projects/v3tv/

Also get the latest i2c and lm_sensors (http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78) to
patch the kernel.  I am also using kwintv-0.8.5
(http://kwintv.sourceforge.net).  I hope these information help you.

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: soft ide raid (5?) vs. SCSI raid
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 16:50:56 -0700

> * Has anyone run benchmarks on a software ide raid system vs. a similar
> scsi system?  The 80gb ide hard disks are so cheap, it seems sinful to
> pay up for 3 scsi drives when 3 ide drives can do.
>
> * I am a bit concerned about hooking up 3 ide drives, though.  I presume
> I shall need a second ide controller (my current one is absorbed by one
> zip, one dvd, one cd-rom, and one backup hd).  Any difficulties with
> this?
>
> * (Also, I have an old SCSI raid with 2 9gb disks.  Can I buy a 12gb
> scsi disk, and use the three in an 18gb raid-5 configuration, or do all
> three drives have to be exactly alike?)

  I don't have benchmarks, but I can say from firsthand experience that
comparing software raid w/ IDE drives to hardware SCSI raid is literally
like comparing a Ford to a Ferrari.

   We used to use software raid 1 on a server w/ IDE drives.  The database
work was pitifully slow.  We moved it to a system with hardware SCSI raid 5,
and the difference is literally night and day.  Not only in terms of
throughput, but in terms of multitasking and CPU usage.  Instead of near
100% cpu utilization from software RAID, we have 0.5% CPU utilization for a
large disk activity.  And doing multiple disk-related activities at once,
there is simply no comparison.

 steve

------------------------------

From: "Steve Wolfe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to move one Linux system to new hardware?
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 16:52:14 -0700

> I have a Red Hat 6.2 system running and I've been asked to move it to a
> new machine (faster processor, more memory, larger drive, etc.).  What
> are some ways to accomplish this task?  Is there a way without bringing
> down the original system?  The old system is being backed up nightly
> using Amanda (version 2.4.2).  I'm sure I can restore to the new system
> but how to know which files to restore and which to keep?
>
> Any information would be appreciated.

  It depends on what services you are running.  If you're running a web
server, it's a lot different than if you're running a file server.

steve