Linux-Hardware Digest #165, Volume #14           Fri, 12 Jan 01 03:13:05 EST

Contents:
  2 Raids on an Escalade 6400 (Torsten Sievers)
  Re: Strange lockups and ethernet problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Help: SDRAM Memory Problem ("Araz")
  Re: msi 694D Pro-AR (JoeCool)
  Re: Hardware advice needed (J Wendel)
  XFree86 Modelines for HDTV ("Richard A. Bilonick")
  Re: Strange lockups and ethernet problems (Eric P. McCoy)
  Re: Setting Up a Minimal Box to do Firewalling and Routing to Internet ("Keith
Austin")
  Re: Linksys Ethernet Card (Marcus Lauer)
  Re: DLink 530TX, what chip does it use? (bjrosen)
  Re: Cheap MB for a Duron processor? (Marcus Lauer)
  UDMA/33 on 440FX (Eric P. McCoy)
  Re: any portable HDs work with Linux laptops (e.g. PCMCIA or USB) (David Efflandt)
  Re: Lexmark Optra E312L + Linux? (Dietrich Timm)
  Re: /dev/sequencer ("D. Stimits")
  More help ! HP 720C drivers ("Micha")
  Re: DLink 530TX, what chip does it use? (Xavier ROCHE)
  Re: DLink 530TX, what chip does it use? (Mogens Kjaer)
  Re: Linux on HP Pavilion 8670C (Tarlach)

From: Torsten Sievers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2 Raids on an Escalade 6400
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 04:06:28 +0100

Hi everybody,

i want to buy an escalade 6400. to set up the following system
RAID 1  with 2*10 gb IBM     AND
RAID 0  with 2*45 gb IBM

is it possible to make both raids (at the same time) with just one 6400 ?

and is the disc info for linux and win** compatbile ?
i need to have access to partitions from win** and linux (on both RAIDS)

Thanks for the help

cheers
  Torsten

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Strange lockups and ethernet problems
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 11:32:18 GMT

Eric P. McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I figure this is either a defective CPU, shorted motherboard, or
: defective VRM.

: Does anyone have any ideas?

You could swap the CPU's and see if the problem moves to the other
one. That way you'll find out if it's the CPU.

Regards,
Friedhelm

--
Microsoft is NOT the answer. Microsoft is the Question.
The answer is: "NO!"

From: "Araz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help: SDRAM Memory Problem
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 23:01:57 -0500

I recently bought two brand new SpecTek 168-pin 32-MB
PC-100 SDRAM memories.

I have a Spacewalker mainboard (HOT-557) in my PC,
which is set for a clock speed of 66 MHz and has two
DIMM sockets for 168-pin 3.3V single- or double-side
EDO or fast page SDRAM modules.

When I installed the new memories in my PC, I got
only 8 MB of memory from each stick (a total of
16 MB for both). The mainboard on my PC has an
"Award BIOS" which has a setting option under the
Chipset Features Setup for setting SDRAM
"CAS Lat/RAS-to-CAS." The setting options are
3/3, 3/2, and 2/2. I tried all three. I still
got the same amount of memory.

Why don't I get 64 MB? Can anyone shed some
light on this? How is this possible? The seller
claims the memories are not defective.

Thanks,
Araz

------------------------------

From: JoeCool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: msi 694D Pro-AR
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 23:19:20 -0500

I'm having the same problem.  disable ACPI and drop MPS to version
1.1.  Also, try removing any addin cards temporarily.  I beleive this
is a resource conflict, but I can't seem to pin it down.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J Wendel)
Subject: Re: Hardware advice needed
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 04:27:35 GMT

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:19:55 -0000, "Richard Kimber"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I am buying a new system. The possibilities seem to have narrowed down to:
>1) PIII 933 with 256MB P133 SDRAM and 815E chipset
>and
>2) PIII 933 with 256MB P600 RDRAM and 820 chipset
>
>The latter has thermal monitoring, which sounds nice.
>
>I should really appreciate any comments as to which might be the one to go
>for, other things being equal.
>
>I should also appreciate any comments on the issue of Adaptec 2940 versus
>29160 as the scsi controller
>
>Thanks,
>
>-Richard Kimber

The 820 chipset has been dropped by Intel.

I have 2 Dell systems at work (1) 933 with 815 chipset (2) 750 with
820 chipset. The 750 with rambus memory is faster. The down side is
that the 820 chipset doesn't have good support in Linux. So far, I
don't have AGP support with the 820. Also, I think that the 820 only
supports 2 Rdimms (or whatever they're called), and they're very
expensive. I suspect that rambus memory will go away.

Both machines are very reliable using kernel 2.4.0 (at the moment,
I'll upgrade tomorrow).

If I were buying, I think I'd wait for the DDR Athlon motherboards. I
noticed that Micron was selling DDR memory (266) for the same price as
PC133.

Regards,

John

------------------------------

From: "Richard A. Bilonick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: XFree86 Modelines for HDTV
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 04:34:15 GMT

Has anyone written modelines for outputing to HDTV's?

--
Rick Bilonick -  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric P. McCoy)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 04:48:49 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> : I figure this is either a defective CPU, shorted motherboard, or
> : defective VRM.

> : Does anyone have any ideas?

> You could swap the CPU's and see if the problem moves to the other
> one. That way you'll find out if it's the CPU.

I'm reluctant to do so at this stage, as if the VRM is defective any
CPU I put in there may be damaged.

I wrote about 3 pages of rants about how useless Linux is for
debugging problems unless you wrote the part of the kernel in
question, but it seemed counterproductive, so I removed it.  I suspect
it may work its way into the next article I'm about to write.

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Keith Austin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setting Up a Minimal Box to do Firewalling and Routing to Internet
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 19:58:11 -0900

Do yourself a favor and have a look at this website www.freesco.org .  I
have been using this Linux Distro (it can run on one floppy if you want) on
an 850 MB harddrive witha 486-133Mhz processor and 16Mb of ram for 5 to 6
months now, with no problems.  (My wife had to reboot once when the cable
modem was unplugged by my son).

Freesco Needs:
386 or better processor
8Mb Ram (I think it's possible to use 4 but not sure)
1.44 Mb Floppy drive and a Floppy
2 - 10 Mbps NIC's (for cable/dsl config, 1 if you use a modem )
Harddrive optional.

I had to copy a driver from the additional drivers  file to the floppy for
one of my NIC's (DFE-530TX, via-rhine) , But the other NIC DE-528 was
recognized no problem.

regards,
Keith

------------------------------

From: Marcus Lauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linksys Ethernet Card
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 21:09:17 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> You need the tulip driver.  It comes in 2 versions:
>
> 1. One by Donald Becker http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html.  This
> driver is not supported in kernel 2.4 yet. (It may be now).
> 2. One from @mandrake.com, maintained at sourceforge
> http://sourceforge.com/projects/tulip.
> This driver compiles and runs in both 2.23 and 2.4.
>
> Also read the comments at the scyld site about RH's 7.0 shortcomings.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   WB3KUM/9 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have Red Hat V7.0 Lynix installed on at Intel Pentium machine.  The
> > installation does not recognize my Ethernet card.  As a post Red Hat
> > installation exercise, I am unable to install a Linksys 10/100 Network
> > card, Model NC 100, PCI interface.
> >
> > Has anyone been successful installing this card?  If so, please
> explain
> > the procedure.
> >
> > Many Thanks In Advance!
> >
> > Please reply here or to this e-mail address
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        Although I don't see anything on Linksys's homepage about a "Model NC
100", there have been SO many posts lately about newer Linksys cards, and the
single solution to all of these posts is to do exactly what this guy says -
get the newest driver.

        So I'm just writing to confim what he says :)  Try it!

                                                 Marcus

------------------------------

From: bjrosen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DLink 530TX, what chip does it use?
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 05:00:58 GMT

Thanks for the tip, cat /proc/pci told me that the Dlinx 530Tx+ is a
Realtek 8139.

   Ethernet controller: Realtek 8139 (rev 16).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 5.  Master
Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=32.Max Lat=64.
      I/O at 0x1400 [0x1401].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf4000000 [0xf4000000].

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Franz Simlinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Franz Simlinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > do:
> > >       cat /proc/pci
> > > Find the Ethernet controller.
> > > It should give you more info on which driver is apropriate.
> > > If this does not produce enough information, see
> > > /usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/*.
> > > There is lot's of info ...
> > > I use a DLink DE-530?? which has a DEC DC21041 chip. The tulip
> > > driver works for this card as well as the de4X5 driver.
> >
> >     The 530TX uses the Via-Rhine chip. It sounds like you have the
newer 530+.

> >     Nick
> >
> > --
> > -----------------------------
> > Florida? Is that near the
> > Bermuda triangle?
> > -----------------------------
>
> actually the box reads 'DE-530CT+', so its probably a different
> thing.
> Anyway, cat /proc/pci should make things more clear.
>
> Franz Simlinger

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Marcus Lauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cheap MB for a Duron processor?
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 21:15:06 -0800

Alberto BARSELLA wrote:

> Hi all,
>         any suggestion for a cheap MB (133Mhz RAM, UDMA66 - not really
> need 100) for a Duron?  I've seen some neat MB from Asus, but they end
> up costing a lot of money (2x the CPU!!).  The cheapest one I saw
> here is from MSI, any info about it?
>
> Thanks and bye
> Alberto

        There are Soyo and Biostar socket-A boards which cost in the $100
range, if you can find them anywhere (www.krex.com recently had the Soyo on
sale for just under $100).

                                                     Marcus

------------------------------

Subject: UDMA/33 on 440FX
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric P. McCoy)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 05:18:03 GMT

I'm trying to use an UDMA/66 drive on a 440FX motherboard, which has a
PIIX3, which, I believe, supports only UDMA/33.  (DMA will _not_ stay
enabled, even with hdparm explicitly telling it to do so between
resets.)  I can get 12MB/s from this drive when DMA (not UDMA) is on,
which is for about the period of the benchmark, and after that I get
6MB/s.

I was told once that UDMA/66 drives on a UDMA/33 interface would run
at a _very_ low speed.  The person who told me that was, however, an
idiot, so I immediately disregarded his statement.  But now I'm
starting to wonder.  This is a 7200rpm drive.  The interface shouldn't
matter, as I'm pulling nowhere near 33MB/s and it's doubtful I ever
will (not unless that 33MB/s number is shared across both channels, in
which case I'm still not, but might if I ever get the drives working
at full speed).

So anyway, if anyone could help me out, that'd be great.  This is a
Linux problem in the sense that the drive seemed to run at full speed
on a UDMA/33 connection in another computer, with another OS.

Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: any portable HDs work with Linux laptops (e.g. PCMCIA or USB)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 06:02:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:56:40 GMT, David Bakhash <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm looking to buy a portable HD for my Linux laptop.  I have both USB
>and PCMCIA ports available available, and I want a (approx) 10 GB
>portable hard drive to connect to it.
>
>I've seen the Kanguru and Archos peripherals, and they look nice, and
>are about the right price.  However I'm not too sure that they'll work
>with Linux.
>
>If anyone has info on this, please let me know (and Cc: to me, if
>possible).

IBM has a 10 GB drive with pcmcia adapter which I imagine is faster than a
parallel port drive with pcmcia adapter (see www.ibm.com).  They also have
an interesting 1 GB drive the size of Compact Flash.  I have not used such
a drive, but I do have a CompactFlash pcmcia adapter and that is
recognized like a normal hard drive.  Since I have 2 ide channels, it
shows up in /var/log/messages as hde and I mount it by mounting /dev/hde1.

Another thought is those compact network file servers, not much bigger
than a hard drive, that could be shared between a laptop and other PC's.
Some of them do support Unix file systems, besides Windows (smb) file
sharing.

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: Dietrich Timm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lexmark Optra E312L + Linux?
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 16:26:31 +1000

"Edgar F. Hilton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Anybody get the Lexmark Optra e312L to work with Linux?    The E312
>should work, but I am not too sure about the E312L since it is probably
>a WinPrinter.
>
>Any comments? Success stories? Or heck, any other war stories you care
>to share?
>
>-Edgar
Try setting it for HP printer, it's the "dithered" one, 4 from memory,
Regards
Dietrich

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 23:37:18 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /dev/sequencer

Not only do the device special files have to be there, your sound
hardware that works with it must be initialized (which also implies it
must have a driver). Some sound boards that have the hardware do not yet
have the software for anything beyond basic audio.

------------------------------

From: "Micha" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: More help ! HP 720C drivers
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 09:33:14 +0200

Good morning all
As a new commer to Linux I have a lot of questions.
I'm searching a driver for my HP DeskJET 720c for linux.
My windows days will be over soon !

10x
  Micha

------------------------------

From: Xavier ROCHE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 08:33:49 +0100

via-rhine, for DFE530TX
But this car doesn't work very well on many chipsets, probing problems,
and conflicts when using multiple ethernet cards!
(tested on both 2.2.17,2.2.18)

From: Mogens Kjaer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 08:31:44 +0100

Len Walter wrote:
> The DE-530TX board uses the Tulip driver.

I don't think that card was named "TX". It was only a 10Mbit card.
I think the name ended with "CT" or "CT+".

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer, Carlsberg Laboratory, Dept. of Chemistry
Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08

------------------------------

From: Tarlach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux on HP Pavilion 8670C
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 20:55:27 -1000

Kent R. Frazier wrote:

> Has anyone installed Linux on an HP Pavilion 8670C Desktop machine?
>
> My Linux box has died, and I would like to make my Windows machine a
> dual-boot until I can afford to replace / rebuild my Linux box.
>
> I'm looking for a fairly easy install, as I currently don't have the time
> to trouble shoot hardware right now.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kent

I am running Linux on a HP 6645C Pavilion 128mb, with a 3dfx Voodoo 3 2000
pci video card added. I have installed Mandrake 7.0, 7.1 and 7.2 on it all
with no problems... I used Linux almost exclusively on it... I go into
Windows about once every couple of weeks.

--
Mandrake Linux 7.2
KDE 2.0