From: Lee Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SB Live IRQ problem
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 19:21:01 +0000

O.K., quoting from your original post:

"Whenever I try and configure it I get a device or resource busy error
message and there is a message suggesting my irq setting is invalid for the
card on boot up"

Can you catch the boot up error messages (look in /var/log/messages) please?

I did an lspci -vv on my machine, which spewed out the following:

00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10000 (rev
07)
        Subsystem: Creative Labs CT4830 SBLive! Value
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

When you did your lspci -vv, I notice that you Interrupt line said:

"Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 0"

Notice that it says IRQ 0. Please tell me that that is a typo ;-)

$ cat /proc/pci

<snip>
  Bus  0, device  11, function  0:
    Multimedia audio controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 7).
      Vendor id=1102. Device id=2.
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 10.  Master Capable.
Latency=32.  Min Gnt=2.Max
Lat=20.
      I/O at 0xa400 [0xa401].

Again, there's something missing in your /proc/pci: no IRQ outputted.

You say you've got Mandrake 7.2: I'm running that as well.

Hmmm...
This is one stubborn problem.

Lee.

------------------------------

From: Phil =?iso-8859-1?Q?McCrackin=5BAGQx=5D=AE?=
Subject: Memory Issue with RH 6.2
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:35:26 -0500

I have an FIC VB-601 motherboard (I know, I could have picked better but
it's an extra) and 384 MB RAM powered by a P-II 450.  When I load RH 6.2
it only see's 64MB RAM, I loaded Win2Ghey just to see if it was the RAM
and Micro$haft saw all 384 MB.

I was hoping someone has seen this before and could help me out, as I do
not wish to run Win2Ghey on this machine, I was hoping to run RH 6.2 for
Apache and some POP3 services...

TIA

pF.Phil McCrackin
Please remove "YOURACE" before replying

------------------------------

From: James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fixing a Frozen mouse.
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 19:30:11 -0000

Hi,
   every time I boot linux the mouse and sometimes the keyboard are frozen,
I have found that if I unplug them briefly from the back of my computer and
then plug them in again they work fine. this problem started when I
installed XFree86 4.0.
  does anyone know how to fix this.
Also the numeric keypad on my keyboard does not work unless the num lock
button is on, I know there is an option "Enable num lock at startup, but I
cant remember where it is, can someone help me?
 Thankyou.
          JL

My computer:
cyrix 266
64Mb ram
SuSE 7.0
p/s2 mouse
105 key standard cherry keyboard.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.aopen,alt.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: MB + PCI NIC + Linux problem
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 19:38:32 GMT

In article <oXx96.28259$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Slatec" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I'm trying to build a Linux router box.  But I am having big time
problem
> getting Linux to recognize the NIC.  The board is a AOpen AP53/AX53.
They
> share the same BIOS.  So I guess they are about the same.  Pentium
133, 48
> MB EDO RAM, ATI Mach64 card (tried a Alliance ProMotion AT3D card in
case
> there's a conflict with the NIC).
>
> I've tried a Realtek 8029 PCI card.  Also tried DLink DFE-538TX, which
is
> based on Realtek 8139.  They won't work.  I wonder if it's a Realtek
chipset
> problem.  They both are PCI card.  I don't have other PCI NIC.
>
> modprobe ne2k-pci
>
> It says that the PCI BIOS assigned IRQ 0 to the card!  That doesn't
make
> alot of sense.  I've flashed the BIOS to the latest version.  I've
assigned
> an IRQ to the slot.  But that doesn't seem to have any effect at all.
Tried
> modprobe ne2k-pci irq=xx.  But I think the driver doesn't take any irq
> parameters...
>
> So I try the D-Link card.  No luck either.  Won't pick up the card.
There
> are some assertion stuff errors when I modprobe.
>
> However, the SMC EtherEZ that I have works.
>
> What else did I miss?  Or what else should I try?
>
> I'm using Linux Mandrake 7.2.  Fresh installation.  Bare minimum
stuff.
> Basic Linux + networking.  No X.  Didn't even install gcc/make/stuff
like
> that.
>
> Please help/advise.  Thanks for your time!
>
> Slatec

I have seen this problem before, make sure that in your BIOS the
selection "Plug-n-PLay OS" is turned on, of if it is on try turning it
off. If you have any Q's email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Kyle K
=====
Support by linuxgruven Inc.
www.linuxgruven.com

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Adam Becker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: BP6 ATA66 Crashing System
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 16:01:38 -0500

Hello all,
Several months ago, I upgraded my system to 2.2.16 with the ATA66 patch.
The system recognized my 2 drives on the ide2 & ide3 but I started
getting
system crashes in the middle of the nite, with cpu load quit low.  The
system worked fine when I used the ide2&3 in ata33 mode with an
append=ide2... line in lilo.

I found the following messages in the /var/log/messages:
Jan 16 18:46:47 gandalf kernel: ide_dmaproc: chipset supported
ide_dma_lostirq func only: 11
Jan 16 18:46:47 gandalf kernel: hdg: lost interrupt

This seems to occur whenever I have heavey disk access, IRQ 11 is the
htp366 interupt.

I then upgraded the bios for the BP6 to the NJ version, but the system
is still crashing.

System
BP6 dual 266 SMP (no overclocking)
256M Ram
hda,hdb on ide0
cdrom on ide1
hde on ide2 (will put Raid-1 on hde2,hdg2)
hdg on ide3
with the following boot message for the ide system.

ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
HPT366: onboard version of chipset, pin1=1 pin2=2
PCI: HPT366: Fixing interrupt 18 pin 2 to ZERO
HPT366: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 98
HPT366: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide2: BM-DMA at 0xd400-0xd407, BIOS settings: hde:DMA, hdf:pio
HPT366: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 99
HPT366: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide3: BM-DMA at 0xe000-0xe007, BIOS settings: hdg:DMA, hdh:pio
hda: FUJITSU MPD3084AT, ATA DISK drive
hdb: FUJITSU MPD3084AT, ATA DISK drive
hdc: ATAPI 44X CDROM, ATAPI CDROM drive
hde: SAMSUNG SV1533D, ATA DISK drive
hdg: SAMSUNG SV1533D, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
ide2 at 0xcc00-0xcc07,0xd002 on irq 18
ide3 at 0xd800-0xd807,0xdc02 on irq 18
hda: FUJITSU MPD3084AT, 8063MB w/512kB Cache, CHS=1027/255/63, UDMA(33)
hdb: FUJITSU MPD3084AT, 8063MB w/512kB Cache, CHS=16383/16/63, (U)DMA
hde: SAMSUNG SV1533D, 14598MB w/472kB Cache, CHS=29660/16/63, (U)DMA
hdg: SAMSUNG SV1533D, 14598MB w/472kB Cache, CHS=29660/16/63, (U)DMA
hdc: ATAPI 40X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, UDMA(16)

What should I do?
1) Get a new ata66 controller and not use the onboard htp366?
2) Is there a more stable bios patch?
3) Should I change the mode of operation in the htp366 bios, not use
UDMA mode 4?
4) Upgrade to a 2.4 Kernel?  Will this help?

--
Adam Becker
ACTS Inc.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Multiple SCSI controllers?
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 Jan 2001 15:14:34 -0500

Rod Roark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have a customer who wants a (Athlon-based) machine with four SCSI
> controllers, one for each hard drive.  He thinks it will make for a
> faster system.  I'm not even sure if it would work (BIOS/driver
> conflicts?), much less be faster.  Has anyone heard of such a thing?

SCSI is made for putting multiple devices on one bus.  just get a
U3W/LVD controller and 4 hard drives.  put them all on one bus.  a
single hard drive can barely do 40 MB/sec.  the U3W bus can handle 160
MB/sec (less some overhead).  however, you seldom run all four at one
time.

the other option is use RAID.  there are hardware RAID controllers
with multiple SCSI buses.  i suggest you look into that if your wallet
is too full for the first option to satisfy.

bear in mind that an IDE based RAID setup may be as effective and will
certainly be *much* cheaper.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: CBFalconer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: um...Does this modem work with linux?
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 20:42:27 GMT

Jonathan Paul wrote:
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I just brought a new modem, U.S. Robotics 56K Internet Call Modem, Model
> > No. USR5695.
> >
> > It doesnt say it has anything about supporting Linux, but maybe at least
> > 3Com has a driver for it, or maybe it can be auto detected, My old modem,
> > It is auto detected, but it is a Win Modem, and the linux i had was
> > Winlinux 2000. and I knew that win modem will not work one way or the
> > other. can anyone give me any idea on this modem?
>
> Linux has never and will never support winmodems ( or so I've heard) the
> reason why is becuse they rely completly on the processor to do what a real
> modem's hardware is supposed to do and linux dudes have a stygmatizm with
> throwing away processor time...... duhh ya i know i can;t spell ;)

That is NOT the reason - the reason is that the crippled modem
manufacturers often consider their interface to be proprietary,
and refuse to publicize it.  Without data as to bit patterns,
timing requirements, whatnot it is hard to write a driver.

To me, selling something without the information needed to use it
is extremely unethical, and possibly even violates some law or
other.

--
Chuck F ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://www.qwikpages.com/backstreets/cbfalconer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (H.J. Plankeel)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: RedHat install crashes -- "buggy cmd640b" error
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 20:33:45 GMT

leslie barstow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Patrick,

>I also have a CMD640 controller (a really cheap PCI/ISA multi-function
>card), and have had nothing but trouble with it.  Linux does better than
>most, but my secondary drive still reports short reads on imaginary sectors.
>MS-DOS won't even recognize the secondary controller - I have to initialize
>using Linux.

I remember there was a serious problem with a CMD640 controller due to
the fact that  (as far as I remember) there was only one memory buffer
for both IDE channels, causing data corruption when both channels were
working, for instance installing from a CDROM to a HD.
I remember that after this was discovered workaround code was added in
the operating systems to prevent both channels working at the same
time.
There was at the time (three? years ago) a lot of discussion on the
internet and also testing programs so you could find out if you had
such a chip. Try searching for CMD640 and error or flaw or something
like that as search terms.
Huib

>I am using RedHat (5.0), and the kernel comes with CMD640 support compiled
>in (that's why you're getting the "buggy cmd640" messages - if it weren't,
>you wouldn't get those messages).  This looks like a real problem, perhaps
>with the CMD640 workaround code, or perhaps with your system.  Your best
>bet is to get an add-on IDE card with BIOS, and go from there (actually,
>your best bet if you're shopping is to just get a new mainboard, CPU, and
>case for a couple hundred - you'll thank yourself in the morning)

>Good Luck

>In comp.os.linux.development.system
>   Patrick Mueller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>: I am trying to install RedHat 5.2 on a system I inherited. It is a (gasp!)
>: Packard Bell Model 3960CD; a P60 with 40MB RAM. I have disconnected the
>: proprietary CDROM, and hooked up a spare IDE (Panasonic 24x, I don't have the
>: model number here). They are both on the PCI IDE port: the 4.3GB HD as master,
>: the CD as slave.
>: [I should add that I also upgraded the 400MB HD to the 4.3GB].

>: The kernel loads fine w/ only the HD, but once the CD is attached
>: to the chain,
>: the crash occurs. I have also tried a different CDROM (Creative 32x), but it
>: still crashes. Unfortunately, the other IDE connector is so badly placed, that
>: it and the floppy connector cannot both be used at the same time; so I can't
>: test if the "PCI IDE" connector is bad.

>: Anyway, here's the guts of the problem -- I hope there's a guru out there who
>: can help me with this. The dump goes like this:

>: ide0: buggy cmd640b interface on PCI(type 2) config=0x3e
>: ide1: not serialized, secondary interface not responding
>: cmd640: drive 0 timings/prefetch(on) preserved, clocks=2/3/3
>: cmd640: drive 1 timings/prefetch(on) preserved, clocks=4/16/17
>: divide error: 0000

>: CPU: 0
>: EIP: 0010:[<0016f2d5>]
>: EFLAGS: 0010246

>: <dump of the registers>

>: Code: f7 74 24 0c 89 c1 66 89 4b 20 8b 7e 78 80 4b 0c 40 0f b6 43

>: I am checking w/ PBell, to see if there is a BIOS upgrade I can get to see if
>: that will help, but I am not confident that they offer much support
>: (especially for a relatively old box like this P60).

>--
>Les Barstow                        |  Apple ][ Forever!
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]  |
>                                   |  "How may I be honest with you today?"
>Disclaimer:  I didn't do it!       |            -- Tuvoc

When answering by email please remove the ANTISPAM.
Also, I'd like to hear about people who came from Breskens or Groede during the 17th
and 18th century.
Ik ben geinteresseerd in mensen, die afkomstig zijn uit Breskens en Groede (17e en 18e
eeuw).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor Hemsley)
Subject: Re: [Urgent] Install Redhat 7 & Raid 5 & Adaptec 3200s
Date: 18 Jan 2001 20:55:27 GMT

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001 10:31:09, "David MahÚ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>     I have a problem for making my raid device with Disk Druid.
> I add a partition with a "linux raid" type then I press OK but the button
> Make raid device is not available. (I cannot click on it) So I can't
> continue.
> My controller is an Adaptec SCSI 3200s and I have 3 disks of 35 Go.
> (I have successfully built the array during 4 hours)
> Adaptec France gave me a driver to load ( Adaptec I2O ) when I start install
> but it doesn't seem to work ! Maybe it is a wrong driver. ( where can I find
> another one, adaptec web is not speaking about RH 7 )

Surely the 3200S is a *hardware* RAID controller so you don't want to
enable "Linux RAID" which is software. Do you?

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

From: Richard Lyon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Laptops
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 20:49:21 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Daniel Seed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Alain Laederach wrote:
>
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > Has anyone had a good experience installing a Dual boot system on a
> > recent laptop? Are there any laptop models to be avoided at all
cost? As
> > far as I understand it, there are two issues, when setting up such
> > system. A, how will the recovery CD deal with the partitioning, and
B,
> > will I be able to find a video driver for my video card?
> >
> > Finally, I would like to know if any of you would suggest
installing NT
> > over Windows 2000, or windows 98, on the windows partition?
> >

> > Thanks for any help,
> >
> > Alain Laederach

I have RedHat 7 running on an HP 4100 Omnibook and an IBM 590
Thinkpad.  Both installs worked fine in the graphics mode.  As to the
points you wonder about.

First, the restore CD that comes with a laptop will completely wipe out
your drive to reload the software.  This means that your linux
partition will be destroyed.  All of them I have worked with on both
laptops and desktops will do an fdisk and reformat.

Second, most lower end laptops use the neomagic graphics chipset.  When
you do your graphical install for x-windows you need to know that you
are using the neomagic driver and the LCD display that corresponds to
your system. This is usually 1024x768 on a 14-15" LCD, or 800x600 on a
12-13" one.  If you have a higher end system check which chipset is
used.  Some of them have the ATI Rage of some version with 2-4mb of
video memory.  I have all functions running with the exception of
sound.  I am not concerned with having it so have not spent the time to
set it up.  Some of the newer laptops are easier to configure with the
new kernels.  Check their website for setup issues.  I know that HP has
a linux specific area for their systems.

Third, I am using Win98 with both of my systems.  There was no problem
getting a dual boot setup.  If you plan on using Win2K have your DOS
partition setup as FAT32 and not NTFS. It is easier to share the DOS
files when you are in linux.

Last, there was a post that mentioned the built-in modems and NIC's.  I
am using PCMCIA modules in the HP and have a modem built-in to the IBM
that seems to work fine.

Whatever choice you make you should prove a learning experience.

--
Good Luck
Richard Lyon

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: TurboLinux 6.0 & Promise Ultra66 Problems
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 20:53:20 GMT

Recently I upgraded my old P200 machine to have a 45G WD HD (WD450AA).
To take advantage of the Ultra66 mode I also installed a Promise Ultra66
Card.

I recently tried to install TurboLinux 6.0 onto one of the partitions
on this new HD, but alas TL 6.0 does not recognize it at all.  I noticed
that Promise has a beta driver for RH, but I was wondering if anyone
could provide me with a solution for TL 6.0?  BTW, I am new to Linux :)

Thanx,
Pete

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/