From: Harry George <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can anyone pleaseeeeee help me....
Date: 20 Jan 2001 18:02:08 -0800

Any chance this is a "WinModem"?  Here is a brief response I found:
  http://lists.suse.com/archives/suse-linux-e/2000-Jun/1503.html

But for a novice, the answer is to just get a real modem -- preferably
a US Robotics external modem.

If you should happen to get a working modem, setup can still be
confusing.  I suggest using "wvdial":
  http://www.worldvisions.ca/wvdial/
It may already be on you linux installation.  From the README:

"The first thing to do is have wvdialconf detect your modem and create your
initial configuration.  'su' to root and type the following:
        wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

If all goes well, your modem will be detected and its configuration stored
in /etc/wvdial.conf.  If it doesn't work, all is not lost but you will have
to build the configuration completely by yourself.  Read the wvdial(1) man
page ("man wvdial") for more information about that."

--
Harry George

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Iomega zip drive
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 20:16:46 -0600

Bob Howard wrote:

> Does anyone have any advice for hooking up an Iomega zip drive and what
> drivers to use for a beginning Linux Red Hat user.  Please email me at:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you can help.
>
> Thanks!

There is a mini-howto for zip drives. It really was simple,
assuming you have a zip plus parallel, all you need do is
'modprobe imm'. The module loads and detects the drive. much
easier than wintendoze, no setup to run, no reboots.
--

Bob Martin

------------------------------

From: "Thierry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat
Subject: RH6.2 with 3 NICs on a Dell Dimension L800r ??
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 18:19:00 -0800

Hi,
I'm trying to configure a firewall with RedHat 6.2 on a Dell Dimension L800r
with 3 NICs:
- 1 integrated (Intel Pro 10/100)
- 2 3Com 3C905C

I turned off the PNP in BIOS, disabled the integrated sound card and the
parallel port and let RedHat installs itself.
RH found my NICs correctly but a ping on the local IP address on both the
3Com takes +1 minute.

Then, I've found that the Intel and one of the 3Com are using the same IRQ
and there's no way to change this.

Is there a way to get 3 NICs to work on a Dell Dimension L800r running
RedHat 6.2 ?
Or should I go to RedHat 7.0 ?

Thanks,
Thierry.

------------------------------

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Memory Issue with RH 6.2
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 20:23:55 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Phil =?iso-8859-1?Q?McCrackin=5BAGQx=5D=AE?=
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have an FIC VB-601 motherboard (I know, I could have picked better
> but
> > it's an extra) and 384 MB RAM powered by a P-II 450.  When I load RH
> 6.2
> > it only see's 64MB RAM, I loaded Win2Ghey just to see if it was the
> RAM
> > and Micro$haft saw all 384 MB.
> >
> > I was hoping someone has seen this before and could help me out, as I
> do
> > not wish to run Win2Ghey on this machine, I was hoping to run RH 6.2
> for
> > Apache and some POP3 services...
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > pF.Phil McCrackin
> > Please remove "YOURACE" before replying
> >
> You should be able to solve this problem 1 of 2 ways,
> first you can add a kernel option: mem=384meg
> second edit your lilo.conf with 'append="mem=384meg"'

You can also try turning off the power management in BIOS. I have
had this work with AMI BIOS. Have not had the problem with award
BIOS but this also depend on the motherboard since all BIOSs are
tweaked for each MB.
--

Bob Martin

------------------------------

From: Steve Withers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: RH6.2 with 3 NICs on a Dell Dimension L800r ??
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 15:42:33 +1300

Thierry wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to configure a firewall with RedHat 6.2 on a Dell Dimension L800r
> with 3 NICs:
> - 1 integrated (Intel Pro 10/100)
> - 2 3Com 3C905C
>
> I turned off the PNP in BIOS, disabled the integrated sound card and the
> parallel port and let RedHat installs itself.
> RH found my NICs correctly but a ping on the local IP address on both the
> 3Com takes +1 minute.
>
> Then, I've found that the Intel and one of the 3Com are using the same IRQ
> and there's no way to change this.
>
> Is there a way to get 3 NICs to work on a Dell Dimension L800r running
> RedHat 6.2 ?
> Or should I go to RedHat 7.0 ?
>
> Thanks,
> Thierry.

PCI Busmaster arbitration will often see many items using the same IRQ.
I have one system where no less than 4 devices are on IRQ 11....and they
all go just fine.

It may be that you have a routing issue. If it were me, I would have
installed those NICs one at a time. I don't trust software to react well
to a herd of NICs. I do it also because I tend to use the same NICs and
I need to tell them apart.....and 3 at once leaves me wondering which
one is which. :-)

 Steve Withers
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 Registered Linux user #24688
 http://counter.li.org

------------------------------

From: "prog-guru" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DWL-500 PCMCIA NIC + 2.4
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 02:42:08 GMT

Shouldn't have spoken so soon.

I turned off PCMCIA support in the kernel, then rebuilt PCMCIA programs.
Now the card is found (2 high beeps), and I can assign it an IP, but if I
ping it locally or remotely the machine locks up until I remove the card.
 This also happens with a known good PCMCIA card.

Might this be the PCI 2.1 PCMCIA problem (this is a BX board with 2 ISA
slots), or should I be alright with kernel 2.4.1-pre9 and PCMCIA 3.1.24?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: 5A58834B8 About software standards.
Date: Sat,20 Jan 2001 21:50:24+2000

  WHAT IS LINUX ?:  NEW ADVANCED OPERATING SYSTEM FOR BUSINESSES , THAT PROVIDES
   ALL KINDS OF NETWORKING, PRINTING AND THOUSANDS OF OTHER APPLICATIONS,
    TYPICAL LINUX APPLICATIONS ARE LESS EXPENSIVE AND HIGHER QUALITY THAN THE
   ONES FOR MICROSOFT WINDOWS , LINUX RAPIDLY SPREADING AND ABOUT TO BECOME
   SINGLE UNIFIED OPERATING SYSTEM FOR ALL PERSONAL COMPUTERS BY YEAR 2003.

  NOW NEW TECHNICAL ILLUSTRATION AND DIAGRAMMING PROGRAM FOR LINUX IS AVAILABLE !!!

               w  w  w . l i n u x c a d .  c o m
               w w w . s o f t w a r e f o r g e . c o m
                    or call to 913 663 1724
      if the web site is down, do not be shy order using telephone
             or e-mail your questions to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   LINUX CAD IS THE AUTO CAD AND THE VISIO FOR LINUX FOR ALL PRACTICAL PURPOSES IT
IMPLEMENTS
ALL MAJOR FEATURES OF AUTOCAD AND VISIO IN SUCH A WAY THAT NEW USERS (WHO HAD ACAD
EXPERIENCE BEFORE)
DO NOT NEED ANY ADDITIONAL TRAINING TO START WORKING WITH LINUX CAD ).

  What is included:  80% of autocad features, blocks attributes, bezier curves,
polylines,
nurbs , understands SHX fons , understands True Type fonts , symbol libraries for
architects,
electrical and electronic design, network design, DXF and DWG formats supported,
exactly the same user interface as in autocad.

   LINUX CAD CAN BE USED IN:
       ORGANIZATIONAL CHARTS ,
       BUSINESS PROCESS DIAGRAMMS,
       INFORMATION NETWORK AND COMPUTER SYSTEM DIAGRAMS,
-->    SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT FLOWCHARTING ,
-->    ENTITY RELATIONSHIP DIAGRAMMING,
       NETWORK PLANNING,
       SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION DIAGRAMMING AND YOU ACTUALLY CAN START
       YOUR SYSADMIN TASKS FROM INSIDE LINUX CAD,
-->    MECHANICAL ENGINEERING DRAFTING,
       PCB AND SCHEMATIC DESIGN ( EASILY INTEGRATED WITH ROUTING PROGRAMS ),
       GEOGRAPHICSL INFORMATION SYSTEMS,
       ANY KIND OF DRAFTING WHERE INTEGRATION WITH DATABASE IS IMPORTANT,
       FLOOR PLANS FOR BUILDINGS AND FACILITIES,
-->    ARCHITECTURAL DRAFTING,
       FRONT END FOR PROGRAMMABLE RENDERING SYSTEMS LIKE OPENGL,
-->    FRONT END FOR ANY SOFTWARE THAT MAY REQUIRE GRAPHICS EDITOR FUNCTIONS,
       CAN BE USED TO REPLACE ACAD IN EVERY APPLICATION LATER IS USED !!!
       CAN BE USED TO REPLACE VISIO DIAGRAMMING TOOL IN EVERY APPLICATION LATER IS
USED !!!

  AVAILABLE FOR LINUX TODAY !!! TODAY !!! , DELIVERED TO YOUR DOOR WITHIN 24 HOURS.

               w  w  w . l i n u x c a d .  c o m
               w w w . s o f t w a r e f o r g e . c o m
                    or call to 913 663 1724
      if the web site is down, do not be shy order using telephone
             or e-mail your questions to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    CREATE ALL KINDS OF TECHNICAL ILLUSTRATIONS , ORGANIZATIONAL CHARTS AND
 ANY KINDS OF DIAGRAMMS WITH LINUX CAD , LINUX CAD MAKES A TRULY CONSUMER
 ORIENTED OS OUT OF LINUX !!!

       One more thing: there is a scum bug out there who is contstantly hacking our
web site, so consider yourself lucky if you have the opportunity actually
see the web site and use that opportunity to order LinuxCAD immediately.

------------------------------

From: Tyrone Harvey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RAM and IP addresses
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 19:16:53 -0800

Hello:

Problem is that I ping comp 2 (server) from comp 1: 192.168.1.1 from
192.168.1.13.

tcpdump tells me that it's reading calls to 192.136.1.1 from
192.136.1.13.

Someone on the networking list suggested that I check the RAM.  I don't
understand:
1) How RAM might cause this sort of problem.
2) How one would go about checking RAM beyond seeing that they're seated
properly.
3) Resolve the problem (beyond, of course, reseating them, though I now
believe this isn't the problem).

Thanks.
tyrone

------------------------------

From: staplesj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Help 2 !!hub.c port1 over current change
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 03:17:51 GMT

bindou wrote:

> Help!
> I installed linux 7.0 redhat and in addtion to the L only appearing without
> the ILO,   get the following probelm when i boot using the linux boot disk:
> the messaage hub.c port1 over currenct change KeeP coming in the text mode
> login .it does not howver(thank god) appear in the x windows. However i
> cannot login in the text mode as they are swamped by this message over and
> over again. I tried to reinstall linux without any success ( both the L and
> hub.c problem were intact).
>
> rgds
>
> jbk

the "l" problem you refer to has to do with a limitation of lilo.  Repartition
and reinstall, but instead of making one large "/" partition, make a 20-40 MEG
"/boot" partition, and fill the rest with a "/" partition.  This will get rid
of the lilo problem.  I had the same problem on my system, and that fixed it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: es1370 - where is the sequencer/midi driver ?
Date: 21 Jan 2001 03:26:07 GMT

On Sat, 20 Jan 2001 22:44:23 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>I have one more question - regarding the MIDI-out functionality. You
>wrote that this is done in software - I don't understand. Why would a
>MIDI soundcard need software to send MIDI events out of the card (on
>midi out) ? I thought that all you need is a program that writes MIDI
>events to the card, and then the card should forward the MIDI events to
>a sound module, for example.
>From what I read about timidity, this program actually plays MIDI events
> - so that would be audio out, not MIDI out. I thought that the es1370
>driver would provide at least two devices - MIDI in and MIDI out.
>Could you explain that ?

The es1371 (not sure about the es1370) does *NOT* have true hardware
MIDI capabilities.  Even under 'Doze, MIDI files sent to this card are
processed through a piece of software much like timidity which
transforms the MIDI data into PCM data, then plays the PCM data through
the normal PCM interface.  If you connect a MIDI device to the 15-pin
joystick port, interfacing with this device is also done in software.
If you really need true hardware MIDI capabilities, then you need to
look into a different soundcard.

(Corrections welcome; this is essentially what I've gathered by being on
this NG for a long time and looking through the es137?.c files.)

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: State of UDMA/66 and UDMA/100 support
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 03:23:58 GMT

> Noble Pepper wrote:
> >
> > Rinaldi J. Montessi wrote:
> > >
> > > Anyhow.  The latest ide patch from Hedrick at
> > > ftp://zeus.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/ide-2.2.18
dated
> > > 12/22 (I should have looked sooner) works perfectly.
> > >
> > I hope you mean 12/21, that's the latest one I see there, in any
case 12/21
> > is the one that is working well for me.
>
> You are correct, sir.
>
> > Contrary to the my interpretation of alot of info out there, LILO
will boot
> > systems on hde. My boot record resides on hda, but EVERYTHING else
is on
> > hde and it is working great. I just created partitions, formatted,
copied
> > from hdb. Changed partition pointers in fstab and lilo.conf and it's
off.

> > I've spent more time reading doc's and biting my fingernails than
actually
> > having problems.
>
> I believe that is normal behavior :-)
>
> --
> Rinaldi]$
> "Defeat may serve as well as victory, to shake the soul and let the
> glory out." --Poet Edwin Markham (c. 1898)

I've got a cdrom on hda, zip 100 on hdb (see *note* below), the
secondary onboard interface is disabled in BIOS, maxtor 8 GB UDMA 33 on
hdc (first interface on pci controller), samsung 8 GB UDMA 33 on hde,
and maxtor 15 GB UDMA 66 on hdf.  hdc is the boot disk, and the kernel
image is well past 4 GB on the disk. (2.2.18 patched with second-to-last
patch)  It booted fine a few times 31 days ago.  This is a 430VX chipset
motherboard which is max'd out at 64 MB EDO RAM and Pentium 233 MMX CPU.
The stupid thing isn't even modern enough to boot off a cdrom, but I
hope to get another few years out of it (who needs to boot anyway?).
The UDMA 100 controller was a bit of overkill, but I got it for the
price of a just-sold-the-last-one, discontinued UDMA 66 model ($30).

I had to chroot to a slackware 7.0 partition to build a static lilo-21.6
to use on my much-modified slackware 96 setup, but that really was the
only necessary solution to my half-a-day's-worth-of-hair-pulling.  The
BIOS on the controller sees the disk slightly differently than the BIOS
on the motherboard.

Note: with hdparm -t I get ~0.65 MB/s on the zip 100 using ide-floppy.o
and ~0.85 MB/s with ide-scsi.o

Glen

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: sap <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: fr.reseaux.telecoms.adsl,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Driver USB sous Linux pour Modem Alcatel ?
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 03:32:03 GMT

9 chances sur 10.
ils sont pro-linux depuis des annees, a voir sur leur site web

------------------------------

From: Andrew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modem drivers
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 22:48:10 -0800

I have this Rockwell HCF 56K modem which isn't currently supported (I
think).  Does anyone know is there is a driver which I can download for
another modem that might make this thing work?

(and where can I check for driver updates?)

thanks a ton
[Red Hat 6.2, by the way]

andrew

------------------------------

From: Yeechang Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How does "Tom's Hardware PC" sound for Linux?
Date: 20 Jan 2001 22:01:14 -0600

How does the build-your-own-PC configuration listed at Tom's Hardware
(http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/01q1/010115/pcsystem-01.html) sound for
running Linux?  Would appreciate any glaring incompatibilities, as well as
comments on the component choices made in general.

The configuration follows:

Motherboard
Asus A7V, Socket A, VIA KT133 chipset
$145.00

CPU
AMD Athlon 800MHz (overclockable to 1000MHz)
$109.00

Cooler
Swiftech MC370-0A
$25.00

System Memory
256MB PC133 SDRAM
$83.00

Case
ATX Mid Tower with 300 Watt power supply
$55.00

Graphics Card
Asus V7700 32MB, GeForce2 GTS with TV Out
$230.00

Hard Disk
IBM DTLA-307030, UltraATA/100, 30GB, 7200RPM
$149.00

DVD-ROM Drive
Toshiba SD-M1402, 10/40X ATAPI
$85.00

NIC
3Com Fast Etherlink 3C905B-TX PCI (100Mbit/s)
$35.00

Sound Card
Creative Soundblaster Live! Value PCI
$49.00