From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Subject: Re: Im curius...why is ISA modem cost more than PCI modem??
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:16:40 -0000

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:37:17 -0600, kellyboy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Why is ISA modem cost more than PCI modem??

Many of the PCI modems out there are winmodems (software modems).  Real
hardware based PCI modems cost about as much or a bit more than an
equivilent ISA modem.  Be aware that there are also some ISA winmodems out
there as well.

--
Ray

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux reboots suddenly
Date: 25 Jan 2001 17:16:21 +0900

    Young4ert> I am no expert in this matter; however, you have
    Young4ert> mentioned about the kernel docs recommended recompiling
    Young4ert> the kernel with apm off.  What I suspected in this
    Young4ert> matter is your mobo BIOS setup where there is switch
    Young4ert> allowing you to setup your mobo in response to the APM
    Young4ert> in a suspense mode to either reboot the computer or put
    Young4ert> your computer in the last stage before it went to the
    Young4ert> suspense mode when any input is sensed.  So, you may
    Young4ert> want to check your BIOS setup in the APM or ACPI
    Young4ert> section and look for such a switch.  I hope this helps
    Young4ert> you out and good luck.

just to fill you in, i'm dealing with an abit kt7 here.  i flipped all
the switches, but was still getting the reboots and offs.  for the
moment, i have apm killed.  i think this is a hardware issue.  tried
removing suspicious ram, and tidying up the insides of the machine.
then i was noticing funny sounds from my scsi devices, whirring,
clicking, and so on as if the scsi bus was getting reset.  i have one
of my dimms removed and all of my scsi stuff off.  also switched the
power cord to another power strip.

don't think it's a heat issue, because things are running fairly cool.
also, i would have expected similar problems when it was warmer.

CPU core:  +1.54 V  (min =  +1.79 V, max =  +2.18 V)
+2.5V:     +0.19 V  (min =  +2.24 V, max =  +2.74 V)
I/O:       +3.22 V  (min =  +2.95 V, max =  +3.62 V)
+5V:       +4.94 V  (min =  +4.60 V, max =  +5.07 V)
+12V:     +11.86 V  (min = +11.03 V, max = +12.16 V)
CPU Fan:  2884 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, div = 2)
P/S Fan:     0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, div = 2)
SYS Temp: +24.8 C     (limit = +146 C,  hysteresis = +50 C)
CPU Temp: +40.9 C     (limit = +60 C,  hysteresis = +50 C)
SBr Temp: +23.3 C     (limit = +60 C,  hysteresis = +50 C)

  4:55pm  up  2:09,  2 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00
          ^^^^^^^^^

thanks,

g.m.

I had a lease on an OEDIPUS COMPLEX back in '81 ...

------------------------------

From: Tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: System reliability
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:11:25 -0800

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Ray wrote:

> [...]
> >I have been having some problems with system reliability of late.
> >
> >The problem:  My system tends to hang (I suspect a hardware problem due to
> >the nature of the crash) very frequently, whereas it used to be completely
> >stable.  Every time it hangs I am running X-windows, and am in the process
> >of moving my mouse.
> >
> >My system:
> >Tyan dual Pentium Pro motherboard
> >2 Pentium Pro 200 MHz processors (256k cache)
> >Adaptec 2941 SCSI controller
> >4 Seagate SCSI drives
> >UMAX SCSI scanner
> >Matrox video card
> >
> >I doubt the rest of the details are terribly significant.
> >
> >My system originally ran 2 IDE drives and kernel 2.0.27, with extremely
> >good results.  The longest uptime I managed was around 3 months; longer
> >than that and things like an accidental bump of the power switch or
> >completely clogged fans would end the stint.
> >
> >This all came to an end about a year ago when one of the drives died,
> >taking my system with it.  It was at this time when I switched to an all
> >SCSI system after obtaining the drives.  At the same time I started using
> >the 2.2.9 kernel.
> >
> >I had the occasional crash with the 2.2.9 kernel, but after upgrading to
> >2.2.16, stability returned for awhile.
> >
> >I found that the 4 internal SCSI drives pumped out a heck of a lot of
> >heat, and if I wasn't careful about the cooling of the system, it would
> >crash during the summer.
> >
> >I no longer suspect system cooling to be an issue, since it's much cooler
> >now and I've got the case off.  However, a couple months ago, I noticed
> >one of the 5 volt contacts on my power connector to my motherboard
> >overheated and burnt out.  Soon thereafter, among great system
> >instability, the other 3 cooked as well (I've got an ATX system).  I
> >solved this by soldering a new connector to the back of the motherboard,
> >bypassing the cooked contacts.  During the procedure, I took the
> >opportunity to unplug every single thing from the motherboard in order to
> >re-seat all contacts (including the RTC and BIOS).  Upon re-assembly, I
> >have had these frequent crashes when using X-windows.
> >
> >Suspecting a corrupted BIOS configuration, I re-set the BIOS (using the
> >motherboard jumper), and suspecting SMP issues, I've run a single
> >processor kernel, all to no avail.
> >
> >What can I do to try and figure out what is wrong?  Every time my system
> >hangs it appears to be a hardware problem since no <Alt><SysRq> keys
> >work, and there are no messages logged.
>
> If the power cables to your motherboard are burning out then something is
> SERIOUSLY wrong with your system.  I'd remove (or at least disconnect
> anything you value (like those drives) before going farther.  I'd also tend
> to suspect the PS has gone south with the extra load of those drives and the
> dual CPUs but be carefull because a bad PS can and will toast other parts of

I checked my power supply with my system running.  I'm getting 5.03 volts
out of the 5 volt lines, and 12.07 volts out of the 12 volt lines.  That's
pretty much within spec if you ask me.

The contacts on the ATX connector are quite pathetic.  Once the first one
had a poor contact and cooked, this overloaded the rest of the 5 volt
connections causing them to cook in short order.  Of the 6 ground
contacts, all are in perfect health, so the 5 volt problems stemmed from
one poor contact (since all power goes through the ground contacts, and
only some through the 5 volt lines), and not through over-volting (causing
excessive current).

Good idea, but the power supply seems fine to me.

___
TTTTT   OO   M   M The sixth sick shiek's sixth sheep's sick.   |~~~|
  T    O  O  MM MM                                              @o o@
  T    O  O  M M M So if it is in it or if it is on it, it is     *
  T     OO   M   M        as it is, be it in it or on it.        `-'

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Subject: Re: Still confused on UDMA support
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:28:36 -0000

On 24 Jan 2001 20:40:24 -0500, Rich Carreiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:
>I want to thank all you who answered my original question and gave me
>some good URLs to check out (including Hedrick's patches).
>
>I remain a bit confused, however...
>
>Do Hedrick's patches just enable one to use an IDE controller in full
>ATA/UDMA mode (i.e. absent the patch the controller would work but
>only in (E)IDE mode)?  Or are the patches needed for the kernel to see
>the controllers *at all*?  Or does the answer to that depend on which
>controller you have?

It depends on the controller.  In general the normal on board controllers
will work just fine without the patch.  If you're planning to get a
motherboard that has an extra controller (such as the Abit KT7-Raid) and if
you really must put your boot drive on one of it's tertiary controllers then
you'll need the patch.  The patch may improve performance with the normal
controllers too but I wouldn't worry about that untill after you've done the
upgrade.

--
Ray

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Subject: Re: HELP: Kernel panic on first reboot after install of RH6.0
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:40:22 -0000

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 05:36:59 GMT, MisterD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>Just recently built a new machine to take the place of my currently tired
>old firewall. It's a 486 DX4/100-SE w/ 32 MB RAM (4 x 8MB 72-pin (non-EDO)),
>4 PCI, 3 ISA, 1 VLB, chipset is UMC (kernel reports UM8886BF). Drives are 1
>x Maxtor 540S (540MB) and 1 x Seagate ST14200 (1GB) hooked to an Adaptec
>2940 SCSI controller (PCI), has an 8-bit mono video card (ATI) and 3 Intel
>EtherExpress Pro/10 ISA NIC's (PnP), only 1 setup for install purposes.
>Everything seems to work fine during the install of RH6.0, via FTP from an
>internal server. Once the install has finished, on the first reboot after,
>it stops at the last line below everytime ...
>
>... snipped ...
>UM8886BF: port 0x01f0 already claimed by ide0
>UM8886BF: port 0x0170 already claimed by ide1
>UM8886BF: neither IDE port enabled (BIOS)
>Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
>FDC 0 is an 8272A
>md driver 0.90.0 MAX_MD_DEVS=256, MAX_REAL=12
>raid5: measuring checksuming speed
>8regs : 78.105 MB/sec
>32regs : 61.341 MB/sec
>using fastest function: 8regs (78.105 MB/sec)
>scsi : 0 hosts.
>scsi : detected total.
>md.c: sizeof(mdp_super_t) = 4096
>Partition check:
>autodetecting RAID arrays
>autorun ...
>... autorun DONE.
>request_module[block-major-8]: Root fs not mounted
>VFS: Cannot open root device 08:01
>Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:01
>
>I've tried different boot parameters (root=/dev/sda1 and linear), didn't
>work. I've tried another SCSI controller, a 2940W dual channel, same
>problem. After 13 install attempts over 3 nights, this is starting to get
>old real quick! The kernel says it's installing bug fixes for the UMC
>chipset above what I have typed in from dmesg, could that be causing it?
>Block-major-8 doesn't sound like IDE, and since both channels are disabled
>in the BIOS, it shouldn't be interfering should it? Is/are the drive(s)
>failing? Ahhhh!!! As you might be able to tell, I'm at my wits end! Any and
>all help greatly appreciated!

Maybe I'm blind but I don't even see the scsi adaptor driver loading....
Also, when you boot the machine (before Linux loads) you should see the scsi
cards initializing and detecting whatever is attached to it.  Does it do
that and does the list of detected devices look right?

--
Ray

------------------------------

From: Dragan Colak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Prosessor type in xconfig
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:48:31 +0100

Tomas Andersen wrote:

> Does anyone know which prosessor type I should choose when compiling the
> kernel using
> make xconfig??
>
> I have a Duron 700 MHz, but it is not in the list
>
> Best
>
> Tomas Andersen

Assuming you want to compile kernel 2.4.0 I would take
Athlon/K7. AFAIK a Duron is nothing else but an Athlon
with less cache.

Dragan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ISA Modems. Suggestions?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 03:52:20 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I need an isa modem for my freesco router.  56 k modem.  I found a Modem
> Blaster 56 k on mwave.com.  Will a modem blaster work w/ minor setup
> problems or tweaking?  What isa modem do you suggest?  I would get an
> external but it is on a 386 and the freesco site said that internal is
> better with the old compters because they had slow comm ports.
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Any Hayes compatible modem should work. They don't require drivers and work
with any OS and software. I bought a Phoebe ISA 56K for a 486SX 33 MHz about
a year and half ago. I've used it with DOS, MS Windows and Linux. I've never
had any problems configuring or using it. Just set the jumpers on the card for
the port base address and IRQ and you're good to go.

I don't know whether Modem Blaster is Hayes compatible. If it isn't, it might
give you trouble.

------------------------------

From: "Rodan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Any of 2.2.x not have CPUID problem with AMD CPUs?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:14:40 -0000

Użytkownik "Rich Carreiro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> napisał w
wiadomości news:94nvft$9hr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I have heard that at least some versions of 2.2 have problems
> with AMD Athlon/Duron systems because of CPUID issues.  This
> is a concern to me since I'm running a 2.2-based system
> and will probably soon be migrating it to an AMD-based system.
>
> I am running 2.2.18.  Does it work ok with AMD CPUs?  And if
> not, does making it so require a kernel recompile or is there
> some boot-time kernel command-line option that can be given to
> fix things?
>

> --
> Rich Carreiro                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I am useing AMD Duron on my computer and i have no problems running 2.2.18
kernel :-). AMD recompiles programs faster then Intel processors.
Rodan

------------------------------

From: Joerg Klinkhammer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Asus A7V
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:13:04 +0100

"Zoran V. Petrovic" wrote:

> Alvaro wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > My maxtor udma100 drive also works fine in my a7v with suse 7.0 and
> > the eide
> > bootdisk (follow the instructions in the suse support database at
> > www.suse.de/en, search for a7v)
> > But I haven't succeeded to configure X with my geforce 2 mx; none of
> > the
> > articles in the sdb has helped me.
> > Anyone has been able to configure X (4.0.1) with an a7v, ata100 disk
> > and
> > geforce 2 mx video card?
> > Thx
> >

> Hello. Yes, but with X 4.0.2 , .src.rpm ,
> kernel 2.2.18  + ide patch ( Promise 100 ) .
> No rpm for X 4.0.2  "old" type of install.

nvidia provides newer version NVIDIA-kernel-0.9-6 with rpm packages.
--
Joerg Klinkhammer

PGP 0x705AC1C8

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray)
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:21:34 -0000

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:11:25 -0800, Tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
>> dual CPUs but be carefull because a bad PS can and will toast other parts of
>> your system.
>>

>I checked my power supply with my system running.  I'm getting 5.03 volts
>out of the 5 volt lines, and 12.07 volts out of the 12 volt lines.  That's
>pretty much within spec if you ask me.
>
>The contacts on the ATX connector are quite pathetic.  Once the first one
>had a poor contact and cooked, this overloaded the rest of the 5 volt
>connections causing them to cook in short order.  Of the 6 ground
>contacts, all are in perfect health, so the 5 volt problems stemmed from
>one poor contact (since all power goes through the ground contacts, and
>only some through the 5 volt lines), and not through over-volting (causing
>excessive current).
>
>Good idea, but the power supply seems fine to me.

I'd still be a little warry of the PS since it could be an intermittent
issue but in the mean time maybe you could try Memtest86, burnP6, and burnBX
(even thought you don't have the bx chipset) to check for memory and heat
related issues.  Beond that you could try beating up on the scsi subsystem a
bit with several instances of "dd if=/dev/sd?? of=/dev/zero" and see if that
triggers anything.

--
Ray

------------------------------

From: moonie;) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: State of UDMA/66 and UDMA/100 support
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 04:23:14 -0500

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Rich Carreiro wrote:
>What is the state (both in 2.2.18 and 2.4.x) of UDMA/66 and UDMA/100
>support, both in terms of integrated motherboard controllers and
>add-on cards (if there is any difference)?  I've not been in the
>market for new iron in over 5 years, so I've gotten a bit behind on
>exactly what Linux is supporting these days.  I have gone to
>www.linux-ide.org, but didn't find that terribly enlightening - lots
>of utilities and patches, but not much clear documentation on what
>*is* supported.
>
>And if UDMA/66 and UDMA/100 are not supported, does that mean the
>controllers just won't run at those speeds (but will still do
>UDMA/33)?  Or does it mean Linux won't even see those controllers?
>
>I'm starting to see more machines/motherboards boasting about
>UDMA/100 support and I want to make sure I don't buy something
>that Linux won't work with.
>
>Thanks!
>--
>Rich Carreiro                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have been using ATA/66 for over a year with a vt686 controller chip (VIA).
Linux had support for ATA/100 before Windows!  Most of the newer distributions
shouldn't have much trouble with ATA/66 or ATA/100 (do some research on the
chipset you are interested in though, to see if there are any problems)
--
moonie ;)

Registered Linux User #175104
   (Registered at: http://counter.li.org)

KDE2
Kernel 2.4.0-test5
XFree86 4.0 Nvidia .94 drivers
RAID 0 Striped
Test-Pilots-R-Us ;)
ICQ #83003404
AIM mooniesdl3
MSN [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: moonie;) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Can I use RAID 0 for HPT370?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 04:25:46 -0500

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Jason Ng wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I would like to know if I can use RAID 0 for my machine in Linux.
>My controller is HPT370. When I boot Linux Mandrake 7.2 from CD ROM, it does
>detect my chipset but it fails to detect my Windows 2000 partition which is
>using RAID 0.
>Can anyone kindly help me solve the problem?
>Thanks.
>
>Regards,
>Jason

The reason for this is that the HPT370 uses Software RAID, the software is in
Windows, therefore Linux isn't using it.  You can set up RAID (for Linux
partitions) on any drives that Linux can see.  I don't believe it is going to
be possible to see the Windows RAID partitions because (I have no doubt) the
windows software does things differently than the Linux software (superblock
kind of thing).

From: "D. D. Brierton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Firewire support in Linux?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:27:02 +0000

What is the current state of Firewire support in Linux?

I have become woefully out of touch with hardware developments recently (I'm
clueless about the relative merits of the latest video cards for instance).
But I was idly wondering how difficult it would be to build a linux box that
had no vestige of the old AT architecture. (Not that idly, actually, I will
have to get a new machine in the next 6-9 months.) So I was thinking of a
machine with no (E)IDE devices, no traditional parallel or serial ports, and no
ISA expansion slots.

Firstly, whilst there has been lots of noise about the support for USB in the
new 2.4 kernel, I've not noticed anything being said about Firewire. Is it
supported?

Secondly, are there actually many firewire devices out there yet?

Thirdly, if I were to ditch (E)IDE, regardless of how many actual devices
currently exist, how would having firewire hard disks, CD-RW, DVD-ROM,
printer, possibly other things, compare to just using SCSI and USB instead
(i.e. SCSI hard disk, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, and USB printer, LS-120, ZIP 250, mouse
and keyboard)? Is firewire supposed to eventually replace SCSI?

TIA,

Darren

D. D. Brierton       Department of Philosophy, University of Edinburgh
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                    http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~ddb